0559: "No Pun Intended"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: "No Pun Intended" Discussion

Postby deeperwell42 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:20 pm UTC

I. Love. This.

How many is that now in the "My Hobby:" series?
deeperwell42

Postby Lawman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:30 pm UTC

This joke was also done on Rat Race by Rowan Atkinson's character. It got old for me quickly, although I guess it's still fun. Pun definitely intended.
Lawman

Postby Greener » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:35 pm UTC

BlastOButter42 wrote:How else would you spell "dammit"? With an n, like "damnit"? That just looks weird.

Maybe like... "Damn it" ?
Greener

Postby radtea » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:38 pm UTC

Seeing mostly Americans arguing about the "correct spelling of an English word" on an international forum and making claims that "the correct spelling of a word" is a factual matter, where the difference between the "correct spelling" and the "incorrect spelling" is a matter of a single letter, really gives colour to my day.

I think it's going to be one of my favourite things all week.
Coming on Midsummer's Day to a Web Browser Near You: http://www.songsofalbion.com
radtea

Postby philsov » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:40 pm UTC

as bad as most grammar nazis are, I don't think I've ever been corrected on dammit, gonna, y'all'll (you all will, I love that word), etc.

Anyways, great comic. I love the My Hobby set.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.
philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby Red Hal » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:08 pm UTC

Soultaker~ wrote:On a related note:
Ignore that website. The guy's a dick.
Philsov, I've nver seen y'all'll before. I like it! The Northern Irish equivalent would be Yousens'll.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."
Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:18 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:
Philsov, I've nver seen y'all'll before. I like it! The Northern Irish equivalent would be Yousens'll.

How about this? http://cowbirdsinlove.com/3
I make this comic.
GodShapedBullet

Postby Gero » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:26 pm UTC

Narf. Everything I said was said by someone else before me in the thread. But worse, it was said better.

"...it's a troll that works best on the most literate" ---- how bout that. trolling your own forum intentionally?
Last edited by Gero on Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:56 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Gero

Postby Red Hal » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:35 pm UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:
Red Hal wrote:

How about this? http://cowbirdsinlove.com/3
I like it, but the author is actually saying that they care deeply whether the pun was intended or not, which sort of contradicts Soultaker~'s (wow putting an apostrophe after a tilde is weird) assertion that nobody cares.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."
Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Sprocket » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:41 pm UTC

equality in mental traps now!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
ImageImageImageImage
Sprocket
Seymour

Postby mootinator » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:52 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:Actually if you look carefully there are ten puns in there. I would have thought at least one of them would have jumped out at you, but it appears no pun intended.

Win.
mootinator

Postby Brooklynxman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:10 pm UTC

I also tried this on my friends. And have had it tried on me. People refused to give up.

I was the last one standing, no one made something that I couldn't construe as sexual.

As for dammit, I spell it that way cause otherwise my computer picked it up as a typo, so I just kinda got used to it (too lazy to add it as a word)
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:
Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby GemT » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:14 pm UTC

mrbaggins wrote:http://www.google.com/trends?q=damnit%2C+dammit

Dammit wins, apparently.

I always use an 'n' though, no pun intended.

But if you total up "damn it" with damnit I think it wins hands down
http://www.google.com/trends?q=damnit%2 ... all&sort=0
GemT

Postby NoJoy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:15 pm UTC

I think the woman at 1:55 in this news story read the comic:
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?secti ... id=6708346
NoJoy

Postby Invertin » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

Pifreak94 wrote:Presumably someone figured out there was no "n" sound anywhere, so s/he replaced it with an m.

Tsunami should be Sunami then?
Invertin

Postby Phasma Felis » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:19 pm UTC

Invertin wrote:
Pifreak94 wrote:Presumably someone figured out there was no "n" sound anywhere, so s/he replaced it with an m.

If you're pronouncing it wrong, sure. The "T" in Tsunami is not silent.
Phasma Felis

Postby Baza210 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

Invertin wrote:

Tsu and Su are different syllables in Japanese, the language whence the word comes.
Here I'm allowed everything all of the time
Baza210

Postby Phasma Felis » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:25 pm UTC

radtea wrote:Seeing mostly Americans arguing about the "correct spelling of an English word" on an international forum and making claims that "the correct spelling of a word" is a factual matter, where the difference between the "correct spelling" and the "incorrect spelling" is a matter of a single letter, really gives colour to my day.

I think it's going to be one of my favourite things all week.

U no, ur rite. Speling is oll rellativ. Its sillie too worie ey lott abowt it.Wee shud oll just lyeten upp!
Phasma Felis

Postby Lerkistan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:03 pm UTC

ayleein wrote:
Psykar wrote:Re the whole 'dammit' thing....
Wouldn't it have originated from:
damn it - as in "God damn it" - which makes damnit simply lacking a space.... hrm.
Maybe we need an apostrophe added! dam'it!

Maybe. I used that logic for 'til instead of the annoyingly popular 'till, but after a little research, turned out that 'until' was a shortening of 'untill,' so I was and am still wrong, technically. I'm going to spell it 'damnit' 'til I die.

Of course, neither 'til nor 'till are correct, because it's just till. Which, by the way, is NOT in any way a short form of until; the word till was around long before until.
Lerkistan

Postby Baza210 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:05 pm UTC

Lerkistan wrote:
ayleein wrote:
Psykar wrote:Re the whole 'dammit' thing....
Wouldn't it have originated from:
damn it - as in "God damn it" - which makes damnit simply lacking a space.... hrm.
Maybe we need an apostrophe added! dam'it!

Maybe. I used that logic for 'til instead of the annoyingly popular 'till, but after a little research, turned out that 'until' was a shortening of 'untill,' so I was and am still wrong, technically. I'm going to spell it 'damnit' 'til I die.

Of course, neither 'til nor 'till are correct, because it's just till. Which, by the way, is NOT in any way a short form of until; the word till was around long before until.

In Swedish, anyway.
Here I'm allowed everything all of the time
Baza210

Postby radtea » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:29 pm UTC

Plasma Felis wrote:
U no, ur rite. Speling is oll rellativ. Its sillie too worie ey lott abowt it.Wee shud oll just lyeten upp!

Well, spelling hardly matters if your reading comprehension is so poor that that's what you think I said!
Coming on Midsummer's Day to a Web Browser Near You: http://www.songsofalbion.com
radtea

Postby g026r » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

lunarul wrote:
SEE wrote:There's a reason why dammit has an entry in the Oxford English Dictionary and damnit doesn't

Don't know where you get your sources, but in my research, the Oxford English Dictionary was the only main dictionary that didn't have an entry for "dammit".

Oxford Dictionary: http://www.askoxford.com/results/?view= ... type=exact
no results

That's because the dictionary online at askoxford.com is the Compact Oxford English Dictionary of Current English. It's the smallest of all the various versions of the OED (approx. 1400 pages in printed format), and as such is missing many words found in the single-volume Concise Oxford English Dictionary (approx. 1600 pages) and even more words found only in the full 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary (approx. 22000 pages).

(I have no idea how many pages are in the 2-volume Shorter Oxford English Dictionary.)
g026r

Postby reevebot » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:44 pm UTC

I've always gone with inserting an unnecessary "proverbial." More to be irritating than confusing. "No pun intended" might be better.
reevebot

Postby arbivark » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:46 pm UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_dialect
In English language literature, eye dialect is the literary technique[1] of using non-standard spelling to approximate a pronunciation that is actually no different from the standard pronunciation[2][3] but has the effect of dialectal, foreign, or uneducated speech. Eye dialect differs from other methods of indicating of accent or speech variation via orthography in that a difference in spelling doesn't indicate a difference in pronunciation of a word. For example, spelling was as wuz does not indicate an unusual pronunciation but is used to suggest that a character has non-standard speech of some sort as well as to alter a reader's perception of a speaker.[4]

contest time:
best limerick ending in y'all'll.
arbivark

Postby justaman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:47 pm UTC

g026r wrote:
lunarul wrote:
SEE wrote:There's a reason why dammit has an entry in the Oxford English Dictionary and damnit doesn't

Don't know where you get your sources, but in my research, the Oxford English Dictionary was the only main dictionary that didn't have an entry for "dammit".

Oxford Dictionary: http://www.askoxford.com/results/?view= ... type=exact
no results

That's because the dictionary online at askoxford.com is the Compact Oxford English Dictionary of Current English. It's the smallest of all the various versions of the OED (approx. 1400 pages in printed format), and as such is missing many words found in the single-volume Concise Oxford English Dictionary (approx. 1600 pages) and even more words found only in the full 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary (approx. 22000 pages).

(I have no idea how many pages are in the 2-volume Shorter Oxford English Dictionary.)
Quite correct there. The OED online (I have access through a uni server) has "dammit" but not "damnit". List of words between "dammit" and where "damnit" would be:

The OED wrote:
dammit
damn, n.
damn, a. and adv.
damn, v.
damnability
damnable, a.
damnableness
damnably, adv.
damnation
damnatory, a.
damned, ppl. a.
damnement, dampne-
damner
damnifiable, a.
damnific, a.
damnification
damnify, v.
damning, vbl. n.
damning, ppl. a.
damnosa hereditas
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".
justaman

Postby skippyK » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:52 pm UTC

I recently added the phrase "No pun intended" (and all derivatives) to the list of officially retired cliches. Technically, the usage described in the current comic would be in violation of that. However clearly this is an acceptable edge case that does not violate the reasoning and spirit of the original retirement. As arbiter of the list, I'm granting an exception for the use of "No pun intended" where no pun was actually created as long as the speaker or writer intended to create humorous cognitive dissonance by intentionally not creating a pun.

Just to be clear: Do not abuse this exception, I can take it away again.

Sincerely,
The Arbiter of Retired Phrases and Cliches.
skippyK

Postby Phasma Felis » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:40 pm UTC

radtea wrote:Plasma Felis wrote

Well, spelling hardly matters if your reading comprehension is so poor that that's what you think I said!

Well, your argument was not terribly clear. I'd narrowed it down to one of "bad spelling is fine", or "bad spelling is fine as long as you only get one letter wrong", or "I am going to bitch at Americans for spelling this word wrong even though it's spelled exactly the same way in British English". None of them really made sense, so I picked the one that led to the most amusing response.
Phasma Felis

Postby Soultaker~ » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:01 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:I like it, but the author is actually saying that they care deeply whether the pun was intended or not, which sort of contradicts Soultaker~'s (wow putting an apostrophe after a tilde is weird) assertion that nobody cares.

Hey, that's just Maddox's assertion, not mine, though I like to read his rants.

Obviously people do care or we wouldn't have this discussion. :) Personally I think pointing out puns in writing is lame, mainly from the viewpoint that people should edit their writing. So if you notice an unintended pun, either take the effort to rewrite your sentence, or decide to leave it in, at which point you can't claim its presence is unintended anymore. Pointing out the pun is much like explaining a joke; it ruins it.
Soultaker~

Postby plod » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:25 pm UTC

I think if you notice a pun after you have written something it is acceptable to say "no pun intended" afterwards, but don't try to pretend that you didn't intend a pun when you knew full well you were going to make one, because people will just think you're a tit.
plod

Postby irishnut » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:32 pm UTC

just on the note of the whole "no pun intended is stupid" convorsation... its only stupid when you type it out, in normal convorsation, while speaking, you realize you just SAID a pun, then say 'no pun intended' cause otherwise people might assume you were trying to make a joke at an unappropriate time. Still necessary, stop bitching and moaning about it when its necessary.

sidenote, i will now start using it to fuck with people's heads...oh how i love randals hobbies lol

p.s. dammit!
irishnut

Postby phlip » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

Soultaker~ wrote:Personally I think pointing out puns in writing is lame, mainly from the viewpoint that people should edit their writing.

The thing is, the writing in, say, a forum post is quite conversational... so you use a lot of idioms that make sense for spoken language, and less for formal language. (I know I personally use a hell of a lot of ellipses, where a stream-of-consciousness-style conversation would have me pausing to think of what to say next.) This often includes putting afterthoughts after the main sentences, instead of going back and editing them in... going back and editing does happen, more so than is possible with spoken word, but not as much as formal writing. And that can include "no pun intended"... which in casual writing means something along the lines of "heh, I didn't mean to write that... I'm going to leave it in, 'cause I think it's funny, but I want to point out that I didn't go out of my way to add the pun in... I'm just so awesome that these things happen all by themselves" (as opposed to when spoken, when it just means "oh, I didn't realise that was a pun until I said it, then I spotted it, yay me").
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?
phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:41 pm UTC

irishnut wrote:just on the note of the whole "no pun intended is stupid" convorsation... its only stupid when you type it out, in normal convorsation, while speaking, you realize you just SAID a pun, then say 'no pun intended' cause otherwise people might assume you were trying to make a joke at an unappropriate time. Still necessary, stop bitching and moaning about it when its necessary.

sidenote, i will now start using it to fuck with people's heads...oh how i love randals hobbies ¡This cheese is burning me!

p.s. dammit!

Agreed. If you are writing and you didn't intend on having a pun you made, get rid of it. Easy enough. If you are talking you don't have that luxury. You can't undo the past.

However, if you have a time machine, you should never say "no pun intended."
I make this comic.
GodShapedBullet

Postby tehol » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:27 pm UTC

=/

My word corrects "Dammit you!" to "Damnit you!"

FireFox languages doesn't, but still... that's a little odd, doncha think?
ACF Forum home--Lether lol, CN FTW Goodbye, O fiendish mind-thief Seems I can't escape
- tehol OR tehol this link kills spam?
tehol

Postby Mavrisa » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:36 am UTC

ayleein wrote:According to this, it's much more one-sided. http://googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=dammit+-%22blink+182%22&word2=damnit

Unfortunately, it looks like a lot of damnit's results come from Blink 182 as well: http://googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=dammit+-%22blink+182%22&word2=damnit+-%22blink+182%22

So basically people just suck at spelling, even if there is a 100% sure way to spell it (being the name of a song and all, there can't exactly be a debate - no pun intended)
"I think nature's imagination is so much greater than man's, she's never gonna let us relax."
Mavrisa

Postby WhoisBadWolf » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:46 am UTC

suso wrote:I never really got the point of saying "no pun intended". I mean, if you were aware of your pun enough to say that, then obviously you intended to make the pun, right?

Two, two contrabasses replying. Ha ha ha.

Unless you are like my mother who makes very good puns without intending to and then doesn't realize till we start laughing uncontrollably.
WhoisBadWolf

Postby BennyHill » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:11 am UTC

Mavrisa wrote:
ayleein wrote:According to this, it's much more one-sided. http://googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=dammit+-%22blink+182%22&word2=damnit

Unfortunately, it looks like a lot of damnit's results come from Blink 182 as well: http://googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=dammit+-%22blink+182%22&word2=damnit+-%22blink+182%22

So basically people just suck at spelling, even if there is a 100% sure way to spell it (being the name of a song and all, there can't exactly be a debate - no pun intended)

I guess you can make the name of a song anything you want, i use dammit but alot of people I know use damnit (damn then it) to be "grammically correct". Not like dammit is gramically correct in the first place.

Oh, and no pun intended.
BennyHill

Postby GrandPubah » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:05 am UTC

Mavrisa wrote:So basically people just suck at spelling, even if there is a 100% sure way to spell it (being the name of a song and all, there can't exactly be a debate - no pun intended)

I have to disagree with that sentiment. Quiet Riot released a song some years ago, you may or may not remember, entitled "Cum On Feel The Noize", and I have yet to meet anyone who would argue that 'noise' should be spelled with a 'z'. Musicians commonly misspell track titles (intentionally or otherwise, who knows?), but this doesn't mean that the modified words take that form for the general public.

Such an argument would be ludacris.
GrandPubah

Postby phlip » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:12 am UTC

deeperwell42 wrote:How many is that now in the "My Hobby:" series?

Go go gadget search engine
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Honourable mentions: 1 2
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?
phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby Kdz » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:17 am UTC

dennisw wrote:Zales Jewelry recently ran ads that said "Love Rocks". Which is the verb and which is the noun? It depends on whether you're a romantic or a cynic.

fix'd
And thus ends my burn on the exploitation of marriage by business. Like it was even necessary.
Kdz

Postby Kdz » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:20 am UTC

GrandPubah wrote:
Mavrisa wrote:So basically people just suck at spelling, even if there is a 100% sure way to spell it (being the name of a song and all, there can't exactly be a debate - no pun intended)

I have to disagree with that sentiment. Quiet Riot released a song some years ago, you may or may not remember, entitled "Cum On Feel The Noize", and I have yet to meet anyone who would argue that 'noise' should be spelled with a 'z'. Musicians commonly misspell track titles (intentionally or otherwise, who knows?), but this doesn't mean that the modified words take that form for the general public.

Such an argument would be ludacris.

What he's saying is that apparently a lot of people were looking for the Blink182 song 'Dammit,' but were searching the term 'Damnit.' In this case, because it is a title, the spelling is definite. I don't think he was referring to the word in general, but the title specifically.
Kdz

PreviousNext

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads