0460: "Paleontology"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

joee

Re: "Paleontology" Discussion

Postby joee » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:51 am UTC

ThemePark wrote:I'll come right out and say that I've never been very interested or knowledgable of dinosaurs. I've heard of a few of them, but that's it. So...

would someone mind explaining why this bad pun is in fact a pun? There's usually always one person who doesn't get the comic, and today I guess that has to be me. :oops:

ichthyosaur = ancient shark
underground = secret, not well known OR beneath the surface of the ground (like fossils)
Hi glasnt.

contreras

Postby contreras » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:51 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:
eleniy86 wrote:holy shit, 15 years already? damn....that's 3/4 of my life right there lol

and yea, if it weren't for Jurassic Park, dinosaurs would still be the boring things at the museums.

Dinosaurs were cool way before Jurassic Park. I know most of my life has been Post-Jurassic, but I know they were cool before it. Otherwise why would Land Before Time have been so popular?

exactly! dinosaurs were always cool for kids

the difference is before Jurassic Park dinosaurs were more like big lizzards or monsters, after JP they became more scientific and more like animals and related to birds

JP introduced the little dinosaurs for the big audience too, and the kick-ass velociraptors

sje46

Re: So O/T it isn't funny

Postby sje46 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:57 am UTC

lysandra wrote:
sje46 wrote:
laranzu wrote:Typo check: shouldn't that be acrocanthosaur teeth, not arcocanthosaur?

(Hey, I'm not normally a spellchecker, but dinosaurs are important, damnit!)

Umm, aren't those identical spellings?

no, the second and third letters are swapped

Every post in this thread makes me look like an idiot.
First, I ask if this is the first pun in XKCD history. Then I ask what FTW means. Then people think I ask what XD means. And now this.

I'm not normally this dumb, folks.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:01 am UTC

sje46 wrote:Every post in this thread makes me look like an idiot.
First, I ask if this is the first pun in XKCD history. Then I ask what FTW means. Then people think I ask what XD means. And now this.

Now you just have to ask who makes these comics or where you're at, and your day will be complete. :D
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:02 am UTC

ThemePark wrote:

Now you just have to ask who makes these comics or where you're at, and your day will be complete. :D

What's that yellow thing at the end of your message?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:10 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
ThemePark wrote:

What's that yellow thing at the end of your message?

I LOL'ed. Hard. :D
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:22 am UTC

I remember back in the day when I was obsessed with paleontology. And that was before I saw Jurassic Park.

*sigh*

I can sympathize with the paleontologist in the comic. Now that M.I.A. is getting some pop culture airtime due to "Pineapple Express", people act like she just now popped into existence and suddenly everyone is singing "Paper Planes". I've already had that song stuck in my head ever since "Kala" came out. Sheesh. I'm so much cooler than all of you.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:40 am UTC

The underground pun, and this discussion, reminded me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5-rGN0ou_4 and related videos.

I was also one of those kids into dinosaurs well before Jurassic Park came out. I even have a dinosaur origami book (well, I say origami, but my stickler-for-accuracy/Japanophile nature behooves me to point out that some of the models require the use of scissors and/or glue - however, they're all awesome). Of course, it was also JP that made raptors one of the more popular dinosaurs, even though velociraptors were in reality closer to the size of chickens (the Utahraptor, though, which was first discovered/identified after JP came out, was on a much closer scale to the film's raptors).
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

sakeniwefu

Postby sakeniwefu » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:45 am UTC

I would love a remake of Jurassic Park with the "new" feathered and furry dinosaurs. After all, Hollywood is the closer we will ever be to alive non-avian dinosaurs. I was into dinosaurs before Jurassic Park as well, but many of the things I learned about such as egg eating oviraptors have been revised afterwards. Luckily we have the Wikipedia now.

Exenon

Postby Exenon » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:05 am UTC

ConMan wrote:The underground pun, and this discussion, reminded me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5-rGN0ou_4 and related videos.

LOL !

I never was into dinosaurs and Jurassic Park didn't change anything at it !
But be careful all you dinosaur fans ! They are extremely dangerous and incredibly clever ! Never underestimate a velociraptors !
If you don't look carefully, they look like humans they AREN'T !! Be careful ! :mrgreen:
GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:17 am UTC

ConMan wrote:I even have a dinosaur origami book (well, I say origami, but my stickler-for-accuracy/Japanophile nature behooves me to point out that some of the models require the use of scissors and/or glue - however, they're all awesome).

OT Origami:- the origami-purist 'rule' of one square sheet, no cuts, no glue is actually a fairly recent development. A lot of traditional Japanese models are quite heavily cut.

Having said that, I have a dinosaur origami book that is 'purist' -- http://tinyurl.com/5hb6m9 for an amazon link.

Aryhoo, rttt, dinosaurs on XKCD. I saw the Berlin Archaeopteryx this year. I'm not ashamed to say it brought tears to my eyes. Berlin Natural History Museum has the largest mounted Brachiosaurus skeleton in the world, too. I felt like a 7-year-old kid again. :mrgreen:
Attoc dna Sublab evol eht teews secoiv fo eht slrug
pronouns: he/him/his

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:19 am UTC

I had a strong interest in dinosaurs back when I was around age 5 (13-14 years ago). Jurassic Park 1 would have been and gone by that point, but I certainly don't recall seeing it at that point. Also, I think the school syllabus on Dinosaurs in that year of school had not changed between pre/post Jurassic Park periods.

Confession: The only one of them I've watched start to finish, is Jurassic Park 3. I know plot and scenes of the others, but I don't think I've ever sat down to watch the whole thing of the other two.

And now that xkcd has jumped the icthyosaur, I can safely say that we're all screwed and that the zombie-raptor Rapture is nigh.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:29 am UTC

...but...but...but the Ichthyosaur wasn't a shark!

What about Paleospinax?
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:45 am UTC

shadowboy wrote:I love the subtle pun.

Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Bosonator

Postby Bosonator » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:53 am UTC

For anyone who didn't know, "Jumping the ichthyosaur" is a play on the term "Jumping the shark" - a reference to the X Files that generally implies "the point at which things got seriously off track".

I'm 27 years old, and it was only 2 months ago when I saw my first X Files episode (!). I figure if I only learned that term just recently, then there had to be a few people out there who didn't get it. :)
God I can handle... it's His fan club that scares me.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:00 am UTC

That's pretty close Bosonator. :)

The term actually originates from even before that. It refers to an episode of "Happy Days" when The Fonz was water-skiing and jumped over a shark.

I know it's the wikipedia, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark pretty much jives with what I remember.

The scary thing is I remember that episode.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Ashbash

Postby Ashbash » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:19 am UTC

I have not seen and will possibly never see Jurasic Park, but always loved loved dinosaurs as a kid. Even had my little fact finder book and all. At that age I didn't even know Jurrasic Park existed! Though I'm wondering whether my love had anything to do with this, but still I only had a model, never watched the show.

OBviously, based on the conclusive data that is my personal experience, every frigging kid MUST have an innate love of dinosaurs. Screw Jurassic Park!

TizzyFoe

Postby TizzyFoe » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:04 pm UTC

This comic implies that grad students are 15 years old. 10 if you say you need to be at least 5 to watch Jurassic park.

I don't think randle has ever used such blatantly false logic to pull a comic together before.
"My folks were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?"
"But existing is basically all I do!"

phantom

Postby phantom » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:06 pm UTC

Am I the only one who saw the dinosaurs in the comic and thought "there has to be some sort of raptor attack reference in here"?
my fairly pointless website: http://radoncube.com/
Gelsamel wrote:
Vaniver wrote:I'm claiming that the programming itself is the free will.

10 PRINT "Hello World"
20 GOTO 10
Yeah, the computer is using it's free will to display "Hello World" over and over again.

singlefin

Postby singlefin » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:26 pm UTC

TizzyFoe wrote:This comic implies that grad students are 15 years old. 10 if you say you need to be at least 5 to watch Jurassic park.

I don't think randle has ever used such blatantly false logic to pull a comic together before.

Can you show your workings? Using the "must be 5 yo to watch JP" axiom, I get grad students being 20 years old.

sithpirateknight

Postby sithpirateknight » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:35 pm UTC

phantom wrote:Am I the only one who saw the dinosaurs in the comic and thought "there has to be some sort of raptor attack reference in here"?

Not at all. I was waiting for the raptor attack. Per-chance it will happen if I go back to the comic and stare for 3 more hours.......
"Capital letters were always the best way of dealing with things you didn't have a good answer to." -Douglas Adams

Hexadecimator wrote:but in general, the curvier the symbols get, the more complicated and difficult life becomes.

EpeeGnome

Postby EpeeGnome » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:47 pm UTC

I was totally into dinosaurs, and fossils, before JP came out. When I saw it, I was probably the only kid in the theater thinking, "eh, its good, but the book was better." I still enjoyed the movie (enough to see it 3 times in theaters, God only knows how many times on VHS, and get the bed sheets), but it didn't really change my perception of dinosaurs. I was more into fossils as a preteen then I was as a kid. I even talked the family into a Montana vacation so I could spend my days sitting in the blistering hot sun scraping at sandstone with dental picks and pouring but-var on any exposed bone. Ah the memories.... And I've lost track of what I was saying, and it's time to leave for work.

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

'jumped the icthyosaur' is bobdamned brilliant and you all know it.

Seriously, why do people oppose puns so much? I could sympathise if they were lazy ones like eggs-actly and un-bear-able and whatnot (actually, I kinda like un-bear-able) but people even hate really clever puns. In fact, in my experience, people reserve the most hatred for clever ones.
Is it because puns remind people that words, the tools we use for meaning, are not quite as stable as we think/hope? What's the deal?
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:55 pm UTC

Not sure if http://www.xkcd.com/234/ qualifies as a pun strip, but that one is one of my favourites.

I admit it took me a few seconds to get the joke on the new strip, but once I got it, I almost cracked up.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:57 pm UTC

Blokey wrote:Seriously, why do people oppose puns so much?

xkcdians love puns and won't hear a word against them.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:03 pm UTC

Would this make a paleontologist who specializes in prehistoric fish "old school"?
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

MalumOpus

Postby MalumOpus » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:13 pm UTC

TizzyFoe wrote:This comic implies that grad students are 15 years old. 10 if you say you need to be at least 5 to watch Jurassic park.

You do know Jurassic Park was released in 1993, don't you? The kids who loved it when they were 10 would be in their mid-20's now. And I think in your second sentence you've confused addition and subtraction.

prokrastinatorSF

Postby prokrastinatorSF » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:14 pm UTC

Ah, didn't get the "jump the shark" reference, and I was just about to come on here and post a defense of the Brontosaurus and stinging impugnation of the Apatosaurus.

Kudos to whichever microsoft grunt stuck the jab at "apatosaurus" into the spellchecker. Someday, I hope one of them has the balls to scan for the phrase
"Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune"
and underline in green, suggesting the phrase
"Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto."
or even better, automatically replace it and disable the "undo autoedit" command.

TizzyFoe, not only is your math utterly backwards, you spelled Randall's name wrong. For shame.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:34 pm UTC

What beautifully en fuego alt. text.

However, they got rid of Brontosaurus before most of us were even born. I don't know about the rest of you, I was into Jurassic park BECAUSE I was ALREADY into dinosaurs. In my experience, kids dig dinos, and dig digging dinos. I know, it's pretty meta.

I took the dream as far as starting a major in Geology at a school I was at for a degree in 'Digitial Video Production' or something like that, the teacher I would have had for just about everything was kinda creepy and difficult to learn from, so after a C+ one semseter I decided if I really wanted to go into Geo I should switch schools, but I was comfortable where I was.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

jeremyjw

Postby jeremyjw » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:53 pm UTC

Dinobots are the OG

"me Grimlock king!"

jbass357

Postby jbass357 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:55 pm UTC

i love dinosaurs cause they're so delicious. 8)

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:29 pm UTC

I was also into dinosaurs before they were cool.

I got to go to the best dinosaur museum in the world all the time when I was a kid. The Royal Tyrell Museum. http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/ My grandfather lived close to there and every time we went to visit I would ask my parents to stop. I was there a while back, they have an entire T-Rex skeleton up in this dark room, plus a velociraptor skeleton and a few others. It is the coolest room ever.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

eleniy86

Postby eleniy86 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:
Confession: The only one of them I've watched start to finish, is Jurassic Park 3. I know plot and scenes of the others, but I don't think I've ever sat down to watch the whole thing of the other two.

it's ok dobblesworth, i haven't either :? i actually got interested after seeing Mrs. Doubtfire and Robin Williams was playing with the dinosaurs on the job. jk

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

I liked dinosaurs as a young child, maybe before Jurassic park. It was pretty close though. I had this plastic t-rex toy that I put lipstick on it. Sometime is would fall in love with a Barbie but they could never kiss because that would kill her..
And sometime he would fight the whatever this one is.

But I watched Jurassic Park because my dad did. I personally might have liked Jaws better.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

sakeniwefu

Postby sakeniwefu » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:12 pm UTC

jbass357 wrote:i love dinosaurs cause they're so delicious. 8)

They taste like chicken. :roll:

nekolux

Postby nekolux » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:31 pm UTC

I like stewed dinos better than the deep fried one. Brings out the flavor :D

Really though we should post this discussion in the music fora. It's all about knowing the band while its still indie anyways isnt it :P ... I KNEW RADIOHEAD WHEN THEY WERE " ON A FRIDAY "

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:43 pm UTC

Jurassic Park got me into dinosaurs.

I want a t-shirt that says: In all honesty, I was a punk after you were a punk.
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

Bosonator wrote:For anyone who didn't know, "Jumping the ichthyosaur" is a play on the term "Jumping the shark" - a reference to the X Files that generally implies "the point at which things got seriously off track".

I'm 27 years old, and it was only 2 months ago when I saw my first X Files episode (!). I figure if I only learned that term just recently, then there had to be a few people out there who didn't get it. :)
X-Files?

A few years too recent, your frame of reference is.

And your definition is a bit off the mark, too. See wikipedia link.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:14 pm UTC

Exenon wrote:But be careful all you dinosaur fans ! They are extremely dangerous and incredibly clever ! Never underestimate a velociraptors !
If you don't look carefully, they look like humans they AREN'T !! Be careful ! :mrgreen:

Look for a hat or a nose ring. That's the best way to tell.
No hat, no nose ring, no presumption of humanity.

cparker15

Postby cparker15 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:In my experience, kids dig dinos, and dig digging dinos. I know, it's pretty meta.

But do they digg people digging digging dinos?

Cue the groans.
Peter Gibbons wrote:I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”