0438: "Internet Argument"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

space_raptor

Re: "Internet Arguement" Discussion

Postby space_raptor » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:46 am UTC

I'm sorry for posting the rick roll browser stealing thing when I did, Randall, honest
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

GCM

Postby GCM » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:49 am UTC

madhollywood wrote:Yes, we are all in fact people and that is not a fact that should be obscured by the portal of a computer monitor.

Heheheheheheheheheheheheheheh.

Portal.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

pegasos989

Postby pegasos989 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:51 am UTC

This comic is completely true. Rememer, the people you talk to on the internet are real people

Yes but also remember that they aren't, really.

At least, they aren't necessarily the people they say they are. In internet, what people tell about their sex, skin color, sexual preference, education, job, experience... Everything... Is more often a lie or exaggeration than not. When talking about anything, there suddenly comes up that a lot of people on those forums are actually majoring in those subjects, are experts in them because they have been working with them for a long time, etc. etc.. When talking about discrimination, a lot of people say something like "That doesn't bother me even though I am * myself" even though what they should say is "I'm not really * myself but I don't think I would be bothered by that if I was...". Then again, many who fill the criteria don't say it because they want to be interpreted based on what they say, not what they are.

Also, you and me are the only two people on this forum. I own all the other accounts.

Except Google [Bot].

SneakyMongo

Postby SneakyMongo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:56 am UTC

Everyone in any internet discussion has a PhD in the field under discussion, and everyone online has an IQ of 140.
Oh no, we're caught in the cross-fire
Wait, the werewolves have machine guns?
-Spoony Experiment

Cryopyre

Re: Internet Argument Discussion

Postby Cryopyre » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:04 am UTC

Flight: DO WANT
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

tendays

Re: "Internet Argument" Discussion

Postby tendays » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:04 am UTC

If you can't spell "argument", don't start a topic, you #!@$* !

(Yes, this was ironic)
<Will> s/hate/love/
Hammer wrote:We are only mildly modly. :D
Beware of the shrolymerase!

Jest Phulin

Postby Jest Phulin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:08 am UTC

This reminds me of a favorite saying of my brother. (Note how I use the passive voice to shift flaming away from me. Er, not how the passive voice is used....)

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still an idiot.

True, some (most?) people do exagerate their qualifications when hiding behind a monitor. But they are just as real as you (and when you figure out how real *you* are, you can better understand their reality).
The experiment has begun. One million monkeys, one million keyboards. Welcome to the world wide web.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:14 am UTC

*grouse grouse*

Too often in this comic, the women act as non-characters who only serve to contribute to the character development or other part of life of the men. This was why I liked Choices so much--finally, a story without men to balance all the ones without women.

*grouse grouse*
Raise up the torch and light the way.

cbgoding

Postby cbgoding » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:16 am UTC

Ha, yeah I'm not even close to my normal self when on the internet. I'm a /b/tard, and yet, a /gent/.

A troll, and yet, a good poster.

It all depends on where I am, I suppose.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:25 am UTC

Arguments? On the Internet? Well I've never heard of such a ridiculous claim in my whole life!
多么现在棕色母牛?

keithc

Postby keithc » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:39 am UTC

pegasos989 wrote:
This comic is completely true. Rememer, the people you talk to on the internet are real people

Yes but also remember that they aren't, really.

The Internet. Where men are real men, women are real women and cute 13-year old girls in skimpies are real 45-year old FBI agents

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:42 am UTC

Damn, this is important. Someone is wrong on the Internet!
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

GCM

Postby GCM » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:06 am UTC

benjhuey wrote:Arguments? On the Internet? Well I've never heard of such a ridiculous claim in my whole life!

That depends. Arguing with other people that you don't know probably doesn't hold a lot of fruition. But remember, the Internet can be used to talk with family, friends, coworkers, colleagues, clients, bosses, and so on.

And of course, Randall. Not that I have.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Jach

Postby Jach » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:08 am UTC

vodka.cobra wrote:I have no problem being an asshole to someone in person.

I'm with you.

Those mountains look so familiar.. *can't remember which comic he thinks they're from*
I love reading quotes.

joee

Postby joee » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:27 am UTC

Jach wrote:Those mountains look so familiar.. *can't remember which comic he thinks they're from*

My first thought was http://xkcd.com/77/
Hi glasnt.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:42 am UTC

They're just mountains, but Randall has used a similar greyscale-ish sketch of jagged peaks before. See Bored with the Internet.

I've probably had this before too many times. The internet offers anonymity and disguises your emotions and personal details, changing others' perspectives of you. Shove me infront of the countless forumites I've argued with over the years, and I think a rational resolution of the two viewpoints would have been achieved in less than 10% of the topic's specific duration on that board.

Of course, I would be more than willing to have such lengthy IRL flame-wars over a topic I know plenty on off the top of my head and that I don't need to spend 5 minutes composing my thoughts before submission.

Great comic, just perfectly silent except for the clattering of angry QWERTY keyboards (or DVORAKs) and the whirring of hard drives. Interesting onomatopoeia contrast to Journal 5.

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:20 am UTC

keithc wrote:The Internet. Where men are real men, women are real women and cute 13-year old girls in skimpies are real 45-year old FBI agents

don't you mean this?
See Ya Space Cowboy...

zrobotics

Postby zrobotics » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:33 am UTC

It's the Internet!

Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents...and they're men!
(I stole this from somewhere, but I can't remember where I originally saw it, just kind of illustrates one of the drawbacks of anonymity.)

audoue

Postby audoue » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:33 am UTC

Not only this but it is alot ''easier'' to have an argument on internet, because some people just can't face the reality and they hide behind their monitor, and often behind their lies.

Steroid

Postby Steroid » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:35 am UTC

But should we carry our civility over to dehumanizing media, or should the advance of the medium imply that we ought to be dehumanized?

See, I'm not convinced that blanket civility is a good thing. There ought to be some place where two people who disagree can just tear each other to pieces without caring about the other.

Remember, at least one of these guys is dead wrong about whatever they're arguing about.

. . .

You know what, never mind, flying/hovering girls are hot.

screech

Postby screech » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:52 am UTC

This comic is greatly improved by imagining a quiet "whoosh" effect.

Also, the two threads for this should really be merged. They have both grown too big for one to be disregarded.
alitheiapsis wrote:HEY NOW DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT BRONTOSAURUSES

ThatGuyCalledPete

Postby ThatGuyCalledPete » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:09 am UTC

Hmm, this comment made me think...

This comment made me think that right now I need to find a smoking hot, intelligent, funny, out of this world babe (erm - aka my wife), and start a huge Internet fight with her.

Then just wait for flying girl, so we can patch things up. One-way ticket is fine though thanks.

-- Pete.

PS: Yes I am married, no I do not live in the same country of my wife, yes this is frustrating, no I don't recommend it, yes it's working fine for us, no guarantee it would work for you, yes we are special. ;)

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:23 am UTC

My solution to this problem is simply to not be an ass on the Internet either.
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"
"It's Japan. Of course they will."

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:00 pm UTC

When I first read the comic, I read it as the girl swapping the two guys around to show that everyone's pretty much the same.

Also, the mountains look a lot like these ones: http://xkcd.com/154/
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

Glenn Magus Harvey

Postby Glenn Magus Harvey » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:12 pm UTC

This comic's alt-text rings quite true. What with the psychology of perceiving something as human/inhuman--from words on a computer screen to dots indicating enemy targets on a military radar.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:*grouse grouse*

Too often in this comic, the women act as non-characters who only serve to contribute to the character development or other part of life of the men. This was why I liked Choices so much--finally, a story without men to balance all the ones without women.

*grouse grouse*

We don't technically know the gender of the ones not depicted with a hairstyle (sure, we know it's a guy sometimes, but it's clearly not always the same person). Or the one with the beret.

KevorkianKat

Postby KevorkianKat » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

I would hazard a guess this has something to do with this post:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23886

and the related diatribe on CNN:

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-36235

about gay marriage and the 2,689 posts (and counting) arguments.

Callidor

Postby Callidor » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:36 pm UTC

I've been an xkcd fan for several months now, and I've read all the comics. This is my first time (I think) posting in an individual comic thread. This is absolutely true and perfectly presented. Way up there with http://xkcd.com/235/ as my favorites
I'll put a sig here later.

InvisblePinkUnicorn

Let me guess...

Postby InvisblePinkUnicorn » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:56 pm UTC

Let me guess... he had a cool drawing of a mountain, and wanted to do something with it.

I say that mountain deserves better.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:00 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:...only serve to contribute to the character development...

Excuse me, the what?

I think what you're trying to get at is that they're merely used as props rather than being characters in their own right - but, let's be honest, so are the men, and the non-gendered figures you are assuming are men.

jimic79

Postby jimic79 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:20 pm UTC

Now, be nice, because the people on the other side of that text are people too!

sproif -
1. Usage: onomatopoeia - the sound of one's brain exploding due to reading a poorly written article.
2. Usage: noun - a poorly made blog with entries that have no relevance to anything useful... http://www.sproif.com

Hoshi no Kabii

Postby Hoshi no Kabii » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

Honestly, I don't this is entirely the reason for me. When I communicate with people outside of machines, I often reenect arguments in my head. The problem isn't because I'm concerned about the other person's feelings, but because I'm too shy and don't think fast enough to carry them out. Of course I'm concerned about the other person's feelings most of the time, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to shout at them. I'm also probably afraid of having mass amounts of people hate me for my actions. If I be an ass on one forum, people won't think any less of me on a different forum. The same is true for threads, really, as long as I don't make myself look like a genuine dickhead.

Korvost

Postby Korvost » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:38 pm UTC

This is one of those xkcd comics that gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

Wordplayer
Location: Dallas, Texas -- but please don't hold that against me.

Postby Wordplayer » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

This particular strip is magnificently on target and is immediately one of my favorite xkcd strips.

An interesting point to examine, however, is WHY people tend to behave much better in person than they do on the Web. In my opinion, there are two main reasons: Empathy, which is much easier to have with a person you actually see/hear and thus have much more reason to acknowledge as such (i.e., the positive reinforcement aspect of in-person interpersonal relationships); and Fear of Consequences, which people have to expect to deal with in "live" situations that they don't often have to deal with in Internet situations (i.e., the negative reinforcement aspect of in-person interpersonal relationships).

Whichever force guides people toward better behavior, I'm all for it.

~Wordplayer

Pesto

Postby Pesto » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:02 pm UTC

keithc

Postby keithc » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

Emperor_Z wrote:Unfortunately, I'm just as argumentative in person as I am online. Most people don't seem to like this, so they try to change the subject while I continue to press their argument, and I come off as an ass who can't let things go.

If it looks like a duck, talks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

keithc

Postby keithc » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:21 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:*grouse grouse*

*grouse grouse*

Why is everyone assuming that the people without obvious hair are male and with hair female?

darn, didn't notice someone else made the same point.

keithc

Postby keithc » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

zrobotics wrote:It's the Internet!

Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents...and they're men!
(I stole this from somewhere, but I can't remember where I originally saw it, just kind of illustrates one of the drawbacks of anonymity.)

err, from my post a couple above?

but I can't remember where I stole it from :D

Day Tripper

Postby Day Tripper » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

The xckd comics with messages are my favourite ones. However I suspect that most people would not argue in person the way they do over the internet because in real life, the other person can hit you. :wink:

Random832 wrote:
Quixotess wrote:Too often in this comic, the women act as non-characters who only serve to contribute to the character development or other part of life of the men.

In this case I respectfully disagree, since the presumably male character also has a one-shot role to fulfill a storyline. Although I have noticed the lack of female "lead" character, and am eager to see the development of the Journal girl.
I compulsively edit posts.

RAPTORATTACK!!!

Postby RAPTORATTACK!!! » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

Oooh, now I feel bad about being an asshole on the Smithsonian website...

How the hell does Randall do that?
Team 246 OVERCLOCKED!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”