0364: "Responsible Behavior"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Greenbox

0364: "Responsible Behavior"

Postby Greenbox » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:02 am UTC

Title text = "Never bring tequila to a key-signing party."

Permanent link = http://xkcd.com/364/

There was another topic about the lateness of today's comic, but I didn't think it fit.
Last edited by Greenbox on Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Pinprick

Re: "Responsible Behavior" Discussion

Postby Pinprick » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:04 am UTC

Why have the borders disappeared in the third section?

M.qrius
Rainbow Brite

Postby M.qrius » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:07 am UTC

Permanent link to this comic:
http://xkcd.com/364/

Also, he'll be fine. The key thing is: he didn't use his private parts.
Last edited by M.qrius on Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:17 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

calebegg

Postby calebegg » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:09 am UTC

Pinprick wrote:Why have the borders disappeared in the third section?

That's stylistic and not uncommon. Here are some examples I've found just browsing through the archives:

http://xkcd.com/360/
http://xkcd.com/356/
http://xkcd.com/348/
http://xkcd.com/346/

mrorange
Something from Reservoir Dogs, perhaps?

Postby mrorange » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:11 am UTC

it works because its transparent, and the background on the main site is white, so you dont even notice.
Truth be told/If I can be so bold/Your sig did inspire/What here did transpire/So that you would me admire/cause me to aspire/to greater heights/of lyrical plights.
-ThorFluff
BomanTheBear wrote: but then i started playing rugby and breakdancing.

Pinprick

Postby Pinprick » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:16 am UTC

It looks nice on the main page, but it sticks out too much on here.

Sc4Freak

Postby Sc4Freak » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:33 am UTC

I don't get it. Has it got something to do with cryptograpy? Clearly I need to ramp up my nerd-factor. :lol:

Ess

Postby Ess » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:37 am UTC

I don't get this one. :|

On a completly unrelated note, this is the first time I have ever seen a thread for a new comic before it reached 2 pages. I guess there are rewards for staying up until 2 AM (I'm usually in bed by 9)

CasualSax

Postby CasualSax » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:37 am UTC

I get the jist of it, but I don't like this comic so much. Too much buildup perhaps - you can see the punchline a mile away. Maybe an actual visual would work better - the guy going to the party, getting drunk, wakes up next to her...

tradiuz

Postby tradiuz » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:38 am UTC

Remember to practice safe hex.
All My Mushrooms wrote:I'm practicing abstinence until someone offers me sex.

OneLess

Postby OneLess » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:42 am UTC

tradiuz wrote:Remember to practice safe hex.

Damn youuuuuuu!
“Observation: Couldn’t see a thing. Conclusion: Dinosaurs.” –Carl Sagan

Last edited by OneLess on Sat Dec 17, 3003 10:35 am, edited 0 time in total.

acrefoot

Postby acrefoot » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:18 am UTC

Ah this is a great comic. There wasn't too much buildup, sorry. And if you don't get it, do some reading on PGP/GPG, and know that key signing is sometimes done as parties.

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:19 am UTC

Sc4Freak wrote:I don't get it. Has it got something to do with cryptograpy? Clearly I need to ramp up my nerd-factor. :lol:

Yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy will give you some intro to the technical aspects, but I'll admit I don't quite grasp the social nuances of signing a girl's publc key. Apparently it lets you have shared secrets, but there might be more to it, a geek bonding ritual.

slamb

Postby slamb » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:27 am UTC

arbivark wrote:Yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy will give you some intro to the technical aspects, but I'll admit I don't quite grasp the social nuances of signing a girl's publc key. Apparently it lets you have shared secrets, but there might be more to it, a geek bonding ritual.

Signing someone's key is vouching for them - saying that you've verified they are who they claim to be. Usually they show you their passport, unless there's tequila of course.

OskarS

Postby OskarS » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:37 am UTC

Basically, it's like this: in order to receive encrypted mail from people, you need to have a public key. This will let people encrypt emails to you that only you can read. However, there is the problem of authentication, how do you know for certain that key X belongs to person Y, someone could just have made a fake key so they can decrypt and read your mail and then pass it on to the real recipient (reencrypting it, so he doesn't know that you've read it). This is called a man-in-the-middle attack.

One solution for this is that people sign each others keys. It works like this: say you want to send an email to Bob, but you've never met him. You find his key online (they are stored on certain servers, like cryptographic phone books), but how can you be sure that it's really his? Well, turns out that you have a friend Alice, and you have her key and you know that it is hers. If Alice has signed Bob's key with her key (which only she can do, you need the secret part of the key-pair), it means that she's dead certain that that really is Bob's key (maybe they are friends, or have met somewhere in real life). So then you can be sure that Bob's key is genuine (since you have a common friend, Alice) and that your communications will be safe.

A key-signing party is simply a super-geeky party where people meet in real life so that they can be sure of people's identity and then everyone signs everyone else's key. It's a good way to expand the web of trust. The joke here (which totally is not funny if you explain it, but I found it hilarious when I read :D ) is that he has no idea who this girl is and yet he signed her key. The humor lies in the juxtaposition of what you expect (that they screwed) and what is the case (they signed each others key, also known as geek-sex).

As I said, not funny if you explain it, but it made me laugh :)

spacedman

Postby spacedman » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:57 am UTC

But what we all want to know is whether he fingered her first...

See, for example, http://www.heureka.clara.net/sunrise/mykey.htm

Coldcell

Postby Coldcell » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:28 am UTC

OskarS wrote:Stuff about keys

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Now I can snicker about people with "I bet they'll sign anyone's key... that whore."
Yeah...

Cynical Jawa

Postby Cynical Jawa » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:44 am UTC

Man, I wish I was more all up on's my crypto (yo). I understand the simple stuff, mainly from my involvement in Xbox 1 hacking, but only very...simply.

Still, easily enough to get this comic - I think it's one of the better ones recently. And tequila is indeed evil. It was the S6 (final year) Christmas Ceilidh a few weeks ago, which was followed by an afterparty in a nuclear bunker. Seriously, I'm not kidding, an honest-to-god nuclear bunker filled with alcohol and snacks. Anyway, one of my co-physicists had noticed in an on-this-day that it was the 107th anniversary of quantum theory! Tequila shots were done, and after that things became...interesting. But I think I survived with my cryptographic security intact :P

slobrummer

Postby slobrummer » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:51 pm UTC

The comic was entertaining, but the finger comments and the safe hex comments as stated above took the cake.

emanaton

Postby emanaton » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:59 pm UTC

Coldcell wrote:Now I can snicker about people with "I bet they'll sign anyone's key... that whore."

Coldcell, I am SO stealing that! Fricken priceless!
Sean P. O. MacCath-Moran
http://www.emanaton.com

OskarS

Postby OskarS » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:45 pm UTC

Coldcell wrote:
OskarS wrote:Stuff about keys

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Well, yes, that would be the short version :)

fnsnet

Postby fnsnet » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:55 pm UTC

The PGP cryptosystem includes a variant of the TTP in the form of the web of trust. PGP users digitally sign each others' identity certificates and are instructed to do so only if they are confident the person and the public key belong together. A key signing party is one way of combining a get-together with some certificate signing. Nonetheless, doubt and caution remain sensible as some users have been careless in signing others' certificates.

For people who don't understand. Source.

:lol:
- Matt

"If you have an apple, and I have an apple, and we exchange apples, you and I will still only have one apple.
But if you have an idea and I have an idea, and we exchange ideas, then each of us will have two ideas"

- George Bernard Shaw

bluemonkmn

Postby bluemonkmn » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:59 pm UTC

Wow, even though I've written RSA encryption and decryption software without using any libraries (did all the math myself, and wrote my own large number math library) I still didn't get it until I read the explanation above. I guess there's more to PGP than encryption. I had a clue what signing a key might mean, but I didn't know the purpose -- establishing a web of trust to verify not the connection between a message and a private key, but the connection between the key and the actual person.

Nexus_1101

Postby Nexus_1101 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:07 pm UTC

that dirty rotten $&*^&%*%$, she told me i was the only one signing her key :(
HOSTING -> Heroquest
:idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:

Code: Select all

IF (NOTFORUMGAME()) {
    postcount.add(1);
}

TheEldest

Postby TheEldest » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:08 pm UTC

Coldcell wrote:"I bet they'll sign anyone's key... that whore."

That's going on facebook.

aerojad
Wall O' AWESOME

Postby aerojad » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:12 pm UTC

tradiuz wrote:Remember to practice safe hex.

*cringe*

ScottTFrazer

Postby ScottTFrazer » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:33 pm UTC

I personally like the juxtaposition of key _signing_ parties vs. the the old fashioned key parties.

There's usually alcohol involved in those as well.

dakota

Postby dakota » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:33 pm UTC

Oh man, xkcd totally read my mind with this one?

RANDALL you scoundrel!
Winston: What if the Party says that it is not to be trusted?
O'Brien: Well, doublethink, um... *turns knob*

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:36 pm UTC

Coldcell wrote:Now I can snicker about people with "I bet they'll sign anyone's key... that whore."

That's an amazingly nerdy insult. Must find a way to use it immediately.

PS - Any word on why the comic was late?

fatmanforprez

Postby fatmanforprez » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:42 pm UTC

Call me paranoid, but I don't even sign my own key, you never know who got in the middle of that transmission. Either that or I enjoy being told when I encrypt things to myself that the message is of dubious authenticity.

lmclapp68

Postby lmclapp68 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:52 pm UTC

fatmanforprez wrote:Either that or I enjoy being told when I encrypt things to myself that the message is of dubious authenticity.
LOL. Thanks.

fnsnet

Postby fnsnet » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:21 pm UTC

bluemonkmn wrote:Wow, even though I've written RSA encryption and decryption software without using any libraries (did all the math myself, and wrote my own large number math library) I still didn't get it until I read the explanation above. I guess there's more to PGP than encryption. I had a clue what signing a key might mean, but I didn't know the purpose -- establishing a web of trust to verify not the connection between a message and a private key, but the connection between the key and the actual person.

Pleasure to be of assistance. :D
- Matt

"If you have an apple, and I have an apple, and we exchange apples, you and I will still only have one apple.
But if you have an idea and I have an idea, and we exchange ideas, then each of us will have two ideas"

- George Bernard Shaw

Deskchair Intellectual

Postby Deskchair Intellectual » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:34 pm UTC

I love XKCD to death, NOT THAT I'M RELATED TO WHY IT WAS LATE, but I still don't get it.

I should ask my dad, but then he'd wonder why I want to know.
14 year old, spends her life reading links of Wikipedia articles and webcomics.

genewitch

Postby genewitch » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:35 pm UTC

i didn't even notice the comic was late. It made me snicker, then as mentioned, safe hex and the "sign anyone's key" made me laugh. Finger as well. good ol' finger. No one thinks to try that first, anymore.
...C is for people who would rather sit at home and match up pairs of socks by the count of their elastic bands, than to just get dressed with mismatched shoes and take the lady out to dinner and nail her in the car on the way home -xkcd_n00bz
MyMusic

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:44 pm UTC

OskarS wrote:Basically, it's like this: in order to receive encrypted mail from people, you need to have a public key. This will let people encrypt emails to you that only you can read. However, there is the problem of authentication, how do you know for certain that key X belongs to person Y, someone could just have made a fake key so they can decrypt and read your mail and then pass it on to the real recipient (reencrypting it, so he doesn't know that you've read it). This is called a man-in-the-middle attack.

One solution for this is that people sign each others keys. It works like this: say you want to send an email to Bob, but you've never met him. You find his key online (they are stored on certain servers, like cryptographic phone books), but how can you be sure that it's really his? Well, turns out that you have a friend Alice, and you have her key and you know that it is hers. If Alice has signed Bob's key with her key (which only she can do, you need the secret part of the key-pair), it means that she's dead certain that that really is Bob's key (maybe they are friends, or have met somewhere in real life). So then you can be sure that Bob's key is genuine (since you have a common friend, Alice) and that your communications will be safe.

A key-signing party is simply a super-geeky party where people meet in real life so that they can be sure of people's identity and then everyone signs everyone else's key. It's a good way to expand the web of trust. The joke here (which totally is not funny if you explain it, but I found it hilarious when I read :D ) is that he has no idea who this girl is and yet he signed her key. The humor lies in the juxtaposition of what you expect (that they screwed) and what is the case (they signed each others key, also known as geek-sex).

One of the better explanations of PGP/GPG and Key signing I've heard, but I think the statement "A key-signing party is simply a super-geeky party" is a bit of opinion mixed in with the fact. They aren't all "simply a super-geeky party"; some take the super-geekyness to a level far beyond that which could be described using "simply". :wink:

Stay_Puft_marshmallows
Location: third tube from the left, and straight on till morning

Postby Stay_Puft_marshmallows » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:48 pm UTC

the obscurity of today's strip (and others) kind of makes #50 a bit ironic, don't you think?
text goes where?

ReiVaX18

Postby ReiVaX18 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:32 pm UTC

Stay_Puft_marshmallows wrote:the obscurity of today's strip (and others) kind of makes #50 a bit ironic, don't you think?

So anyone noticed that strip #50 has EXIF data?

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:35 pm UTC

Stay_Puft_marshmallows wrote:the obscurity of today's strip (and others) kind of makes #50 a bit ironic, don't you think?

PGP/GPG isn't exactly an obscure topic though, and the comic can still be a little funny even if you have no idea what it's about.

mightymouse1584

Postby mightymouse1584 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:45 pm UTC

OskarS wrote:Basically, it's like this: in order to receive encrypted mail from people, you need to have a public key. This will let people encrypt emails to you that only you can read. However, there is the problem of authentication, how do you know for certain that key X belongs to person Y, someone could just have made a fake key so they can decrypt and read your mail and then pass it on to the real recipient (reencrypting it, so he doesn't know that you've read it). This is called a man-in-the-middle attack.

ah.... meta-humor. :D

M.qrius
Rainbow Brite

Postby M.qrius » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:49 pm UTC

ReiVaX18 wrote:

So anyone noticed that strip #50 has EXIF data?

Now that you mention it. :P
I guess back in the day Randall had a Canon PowerShot A520 with a Lens Aperture of F/2.6, a Focal Length of 6mm, used a shutter speed and exposure time of 1/15 sec, and took the picture on January 15, 2006 at 6:53 PM.

mightymouse1584 wrote:ah.... meta-humor. :D

I believe that that's actually just standard humor. Setting a story up so the listener will expect some outcome, then give an unexpected outcome.
Okay, there's a little more to humor than that, but still.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”