0345: "1337: Part 5"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BSG

Re: "1337: Part 5" Discussion

Postby BSG » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

Pure epic.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:00 pm UTC

zeith wrote:
TheTankengine wrote:... He is a huge public supporter of some of the best projects/organizations in digital information freedom like Creative Commons, EFF, Open Rights Group and others. He also releases digital versions of his books for free at the same time as print, so that's pretty swell!
Especially with DRM being so young, the battle between proprietary and open information and so many people still being ignorant of how integral to the near future all of that truly is.

How many readers of this site couldn't be described as supporters of CC, EFF, etc.? For his major claim to e-fame to be that he famously endorses things... I'm not so sure I buy that. I mean, it might be factual, it's not that I'm contesting, it's the validity of what it represents that I take issue with. If I start a blog extolling the virtues of water, and just type about water a whole lot, (in this case, water being something that is obviously good much like the EFF and Creative Commons) will I become known as a public supporter of water, and therefore worthy of reference? I hope not.

Uh, you are the one that said his major claim was that he endorsed things, not I. So if you don't buy it, then you should probably get to work on convincing yourself of it again. When I said that he is a huge public supporter, I mean much more than just saying that he supports something. As for supporting CC, he releases actual books under CC licenses. As for supporting the EFF, he actually worked for EFF (he was the European Affairs Coordinator for 4 years). As for supporting the Open Rights Group, well he was a founding member.

And as for water being something "that is obviously good", well I'd say that is up for debate. Drowning related injuries are the fifth most likely cause of accidental death in the US [1]. Water doesn't sound so obviously good now, does it?
(Note: That was a joke.)
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

voodooKobra
You just....

Postby voodooKobra » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:18 pm UTC

I use Creative Commons on my website. It's very likely that a majority of the XKCDers are pro-CC.
If you need to reach me, email kobrasrealm@gmail.com

in b4 spam

Kobra's Corner - My horribly-written opinions that aren't worth reading. Seriously; you're better off reading Nietzsche translated into myspace user lingo.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:22 pm UTC

Piarew wrote:I think the wrong person is thanking Stallman... ?.

Wait.

Why is this such an issue? Its obvious that Elaine is saying it, whats the confusion?

voodooKobra
You just....

Postby voodooKobra » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:29 pm UTC

Randall fixed it since that was posted.
If you need to reach me, email kobrasrealm@gmail.com

in b4 spam

Kobra's Corner - My horribly-written opinions that aren't worth reading. Seriously; you're better off reading Nietzsche translated into myspace user lingo.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:30 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:Why is this such an issue? Its obvious that Elaine is saying it, whats the confusion?
Issue? It hasn't been mentioned since page one or put another way, since it got fixed. It wasn't Elaine saying it from the start, the cartoon got fixed after first publication.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.

laurenb

Postby laurenb » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:50 am UTC

This series is great for all the reasons already mentioned, of course. I also appreciate how xkcd tends to be so loving about brilliant female programmers and nerds. It's probably the only cultural forum where one routinely sees female brilliance lauded with no room for sexual subtext, because the art style is quite minimalist.

I like being smart and I like being sexy, and I think many women feel the same way, but I hate the way that the first is always read in light of the second where women are concerned. And a mom... that's just revolutionary. Pop culture is so rough on the intellectual autonomy of women who've procreated. Best comic ever.

LittleMikey

Postby LittleMikey » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:28 am UTC

laurenb wrote:This series is great for all the reasons already mentioned, of course. I also appreciate how xkcd tends to be so loving about brilliant female programmers and nerds. It's probably the only cultural forum where one routinely sees female brilliance lauded with no room for sexual subtext, because the art style is quite minimalist.

I like being smart and I like being sexy, and I think many women feel the same way, but I hate the way that the first is always read in light of the second where women are concerned. And a mom... that's just revolutionary. Pop culture is so rough on the intellectual autonomy of women who've procreated. Best comic ever.

I'm a Computer Science student at uni, and I know alot of girls who are amazingly smart (much more so then me) and amazingly beautiful (again more then me...) And yeah, geeky/nerdy girls are the best type in the world ^_^ I'd much rather have someone who can hold a decent conversation, instead of not understanding what "the rest of the world" means.

zylaa

Postby zylaa » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:52 pm UTC

The Princess Bride pun just made the whole arc complete.

I really must become more of a geek, if only to fully appreciate the wonders of this comic.

Jonobello

Postby Jonobello » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:09 am UTC

The Princess Bride reference has to go in there as one of the most humorous and wittiest xkcd moments ever.

suso

Postby suso » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:59 pm UTC

Cory Doctorow: You'd make a wonderful Dread Pirate Roberts.
Elaine: Really?
Cory Doctorow: Yeah, so would YOUR MOM!

8)
Imagine theres no signatures....

VelAse

Postby VelAse » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:39 am UTC

i think the saddest part is the fact i saw the princes bride remark comeing in part 3. i mean piracy mrs roberts, you knew it had to happen, and i raise my glass in praise of it 8)

arbivark

Re: "1337: Part 5" Discussion: cory story

Postby arbivark » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:57 am UTC

Dodestar

Re: 0345: "1337: Part 5"

Postby Dodestar » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:35 pm UTC

Every time I read, I feel bad for Bobby....

edo

Postby edo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:47 pm UTC

Randall wrote:This digital music thing will probably reach its endgame sometime in the next decade are so. These are very exciting times.

So I'd just like to point out that it's been a decade since 0345 was originally posted. Is DRM at an endgame?
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

FriendOfFred

Postby FriendOfFred » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:01 am UTC

edo wrote:
Randall wrote:This digital music thing will probably reach its endgame sometime in the next decade are so. These are very exciting times.

So I'd just like to point out that it's been a decade since 0345 was originally posted. Is DRM at an endgame?

Well, in terms of music DRM, the right side won. iTunes stopped using DRM for music in 2009, and I believe Amazon had already stopped.

Movies, games, ebooks, etc., are a different story. How long it will take to resolve those issues, or if they'll ever be resolved, I have no idea.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:58 am UTC

FriendOfFred wrote:Well, in terms of music DRM, the right side won. iTunes stopped using DRM for music in 2009, and I believe Amazon had already stopped.

It's evolved a bit beyond that, though. Yes, purchased music is DRM free, but the majority of the music on my phone is in a proprietary format and locked down - because I have a subscription to stream (and download) it. So now I'm back to having to use a particular app on a particular device.
He/Him/His Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”