2167: "Motivated Reasoning Olympics"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Moose Anus

2167: "Motivated Reasoning Olympics"

Postby Moose Anus » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:45 pm UTC

Title text: [later] I can't believe how bad corruption has become, especially given that our league split off from the statewide one a month ago SPECIFICALLY to protest this kind of flagrantly biased judging.

Someone may have posted this yesterday but it's too hard for most people to find and was likely not even in the correct format.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Flumble
Yes Man

Re: 2167: "Motivated Reasoning Olympics"

Postby Flumble » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:12 pm UTC

What does "motivated reasoning" mean? Is it purely mathematical reasoning where the logic is sound but the premises have nothing to do with the real world?

Moose Anus wrote:Someone may have posted this yesterday but it's too hard for most people to find and was likely not even in the correct format.

You had me there for a moment. :roll:

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:40 pm UTC

I think it's basically deciding on an outcome and then finding reasons to support it while minimizing evidence to the contrary.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:10 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:What does "motivated reasoning" mean? Is it purely mathematical reasoning where the logic is sound but the premises have nothing to do with the real world?

Moose Anus wrote:Someone may have posted this yesterday but it's too hard for most people to find and was likely not even in the correct format.

You had me there for a moment. :roll:

Mathematics in general is logically sound but has nothing to do with the real world.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:50 am UTC

Flumble wrote:What does "motivated reasoning" mean? Is it purely mathematical reasoning where the logic is sound but the premises have nothing to do with the real world?

I think the key is in the word "motivated". From context, I assume it refers to reasoning aimed towards a particular goal or...motive. And of course, the logic has to remain sound, or you can barely call it "reasoning", so the premises are what has to go if the universe isn't cooperating with your desires. (At least if you're a pro. I suspect that amateur motivated reasoning looks more like simple denial or other common cognitive dissonance reduction strategies.)
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:54 pm UTC

It's rationalization applied to itself.

When you don't want to admit you're rationalizing, you call it "motivated reasoning", instead.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:16 pm UTC

It's almost as if it were a commonly used phrase that people could just look up instead of speculating about...
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:59 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:It's almost as if it were a commonly used phrase that people could just look up instead of speculating about...

It's almost as though the hits on that fail to produce a consistent, concise definition.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”