2148: "Cubesat Launch"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

keithl

2148: "Cubesat Launch"

Postby keithl » Fri May 10, 2019 3:40 pm UTC

Title text: "Luckily, the damages were partly offset by the prize money we got from accidentally winning the nearby water skiing championship tournament."

Laughing my ass off, but ... Two people lifted at rocket launch acceleration (3 gees?) by a fishing line? Do they make 1000 pound test fishing line? Wouldn't it simply cut Cueball and Megan(?) to ribbons?

I can imagine an especially grisly "alt xkcd" image. I should get professional help.

DanD

Re: 2148: "Cubesat Launch"

Postby DanD » Fri May 10, 2019 4:57 pm UTC

They do make thousand lb test line. And it's not especially thin. If supported by something of a net against fairly heavy duty clothing (jeans, sweatshirt), I'm guessing it wouldn't be especially lethal.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri May 10, 2019 5:08 pm UTC

keithl wrote:Laughing my ass off, but ... Two people lifted at rocket launch acceleration (3 gees?) by a fishing line? Do they make 1000 pound test fishing line? Wouldn't it simply cut Cueball and Megan(?) to ribbons?

That's the thing about stick people-- their stick bodies are incredibly strong. Probably made of the same material as shadow-square wire, with some additives for rigidity.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Mjb

Postby Mjb » Fri May 10, 2019 5:41 pm UTC

In case we needed more examples of waiting for the but.
1. Used to be that rocket launches took place under a microscope, watching for lightning, clouds, small changes in temperature and nearby sailboats. With the growing number of launches, maybe standards are lowered? Maybe everyone is constantly glancing at the rocket?
2. Alleged 1000lb monofilament line, 3.7mm diameter. If that's fluorocarbon, 1.78g/cm^3, and 100m of that might work out to 2kg. That's more than the cubesat, but the drone could take it.
3. The drone needs to reel in that fishing line or else the line will dangle behind and potentially get tested by the rocket exhaust. A metal line might do better, but that raises the weight and visibility considerably. Really, just put the cubesat on the drone, then it might even be possible to include a way to release the cubesat. Not sure how to ensure correct release velocity with a light payload - compressed air or other explosives?

At that point, probably easier to pull a heist to get the stowaway included with the regular payloads.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri May 10, 2019 6:36 pm UTC

I figured the purpose of the fishing line was that the drone had insufficient carrying capacity to lift the cubesat, so they were leaving the cubesat in their hands, using the drone to attach a line to the rocket, and then reeling in the line to pull the cubesat to the rocket.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Carteeg_Struve

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Fri May 10, 2019 6:50 pm UTC

Is it odd that the one detail that stuck out to me in regards to the whole matter is that the "Launch Accident Investigation Board" decided to label the front of their table as if they were judges for a talent show?

Reka

Postby Reka » Fri May 10, 2019 8:17 pm UTC

The funniest part is Cueball's "Uh oh" in the first panel.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Fri May 10, 2019 10:50 pm UTC

Carteeg_Struve wrote:Is it odd that the one detail that stuck out to me in regards to the whole matter is that the "Launch Accident Investigation Board" decided to label the front of their table as if they were judges for a talent show?

Yeah, me too. Kinda' Pythonish. You'd think a simple NASA logo would get the investigation panel idea across.

J%r

Postby J%r » Sat May 11, 2019 1:30 am UTC

Carteeg_Struve wrote:Is it odd that the one detail that stuck out to me in regards to the whole matter is that the "Launch Accident Investigation Board" decided to label the front of their table as if they were judges for a talent show?

I thought it was a reference to those Aircraft Accident Investigation Boards you hear mentioned on National Geographic. As in now they have to recreate the accident for the camera.

Mjb

Postby Mjb » Sat May 11, 2019 4:51 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I figured the purpose of the fishing line was that the drone had insufficient carrying capacity to lift the cubesat, so they were leaving the cubesat in their hands, using the drone to attach a line to the rocket, and then reeling in the line to pull the cubesat to the rocket.

Cubesats are supposed to weigh under 1.33 kg, and reeling would require the drone to lift enough line to cross that distance twice (170 m?). Need 750-lb-rated fishing line that weighs under 8 g/m to come out ahead on weight while still enabling towing.

keithl

Postby keithl » Sat May 11, 2019 6:40 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
keithl wrote:Laughing my ass off, but ... Two people lifted at rocket launch acceleration (3 gees?) by a fishing line? Do they make 1000 pound test fishing line? Wouldn't it simply cut Cueball and Megan(?) to ribbons?

That's the thing about stick people-- their stick bodies are incredibly strong. Probably made of the same material as shadow-square wire, with some additives for rigidity.

That explains everything - like how they survived their "high wire trip", and the presumably explosive crash of the rocket that ended it. The stick figures are not human, of course.
Someday, I hope a professional biologist writes a treatise on xkcd stick figure anatomy, physiology, and evolution, based on thousands of observations collected on this website. Did they evolve from lines or circles? Do they eat pixels? Can they survive in vacuum? Does their reproduction involve non-Euclidean geometry? All the answers are here, but we need a professional scientist to organize them properly for peer-reviewed publication.

lllllllllwith10ls

Postby lllllllllwith10ls » Sun May 12, 2019 4:30 pm UTC

Maybe they're just using carbon nanotube wire or something
mom fapathi

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”