2125: "Luna 2"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

RAGBRAIvet

2125: "Luna 2"

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:37 pm UTC

Title text: The flags were probably vaporized on impact, because we launched it before we had finished figuring out how to land. That makes sense from an engineering standpoint, but also feels like a metaphor.

*BOOM* — and shit sprays all over.
"We come in peace."
Yeah, sure, you betcha.

Heimhenge

Re: 2125: "Luna 2"

Postby Heimhenge » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:10 am UTC

We'll be sending better stuff soon ...

https://interestingengineering.com/nonp ... on-by-2020

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:35 am UTC

I suppose instead of looking at it as a shrapnel grenade, one could view it more like emptying the litter bag out the window.
Last edited by RAGBRAIvet on Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfkeeper

Postby Wolfkeeper » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:56 am UTC

Frankly if they couldn't make it explode just before impact leaving a hammer and sickle shaped impact crater, THEN THEY WEREN'T EVEN TRYING :roll:

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:07 am UTC

Heimhenge wrote:We'll be sending better stuff soon ...

Typical, more hoops we have to jump through just to rectify confusing punctuation and grammar on pages. "Semi-Protected", "Protected" and now "What do you mean you haven't got a Saturn 5 with a LEM atop it?"

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:53 am UTC

It's like we're drunk and spoiling for a fight.

"Here is our location, these are our weaknesses, come and have a go if you think you're hard enough"
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:05 am UTC

The Moomin wrote:"Here is our location, these are our weaknesses, come and have a go if you think you're hard enough"

I was going to comment about all the 'useful' information they'd arrive with, but the first Random article was a location (non-stub!) that was actually potentially quite interesting to our future alien overlords, the second Random result was "List of Banks in Russia" and by the time I got "John Ramsbottom (1778-1845) was a British Whig politician and landowner, MP for New Windsor from 1810 until his death in 1845.[1]" the spur of the moment idea of humour had actualy tempered somewhat!

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:23 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:

Typical, more hoops we have to jump through just to rectify confusing punctuation and grammar on pages. "Semi-Protected", "Protected" and now "What do you mean you haven't got a Saturn 5 with a LEM atop it?"

It says a planned mid-2020 launch, but do we know when they are 'freezing' the content before extraction? There may be one or two little edits we'll want to make sure get in... :wink:
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:20 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:

It's like we're drunk and spoiling for a fight.

"Here is our location, these are our weaknesses, come and have a go if you think you're hard enough"

This is why no one in the galaxy returns our calls.

Humanity wrote:We've been makin' war for tens of millennia, at least, *hic* an'we don' aim to to stop anntime sooonh!

*wiki page for the casaba howitzer intensifies*
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:15 pm UTC

Wait, wait, we can't let the Russkies win! We need to send propaganda bombs to the moon too! Actually, we need to first send a real bomb to destroy all that's left of their bomb...

Soupspoon wrote:
The Moomin wrote:"Here is our location, these are our weaknesses, come and have a go if you think you're hard enough"

I was going to comment about all the 'useful' information they'd arrive with, but the first Random article was a location (non-stub!) that was actually potentially quite interesting to our future alien overlords, the second Random result was "List of Banks in Russia" and by the time I got "John Ramsbottom (1778-1845) was a British Whig politician and landowner, MP for New Windsor from 1810 until his death in 1845.[1]" the spur of the moment idea of humour had actualy tempered somewhat!

I think my random walk (jump?) was better (for the future alien overlords, worse for us):
1. Megalobulimus proclivis [a Brazilian snail]
2. KGBA (AM) [a southern California radio station]
3. List of generating stations in Ontario [with GPS coordinates of nuclear power stations, this seemed useful for the aliens...]

six more later I got "List of massacres in Sri Lanka". Three of the first ten were (non-American-rules) "football" players.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”