2123: "Meta Collecting"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Lode

2123: "Meta Collecting"

Postby Lode » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:08 pm UTC

Title text: "I'm trying to get the page locked because some jerk keeps adding "Yachts"."

The Wikipedia page also contains "Valuable works of art" and "Vintage cars", so good luck with that

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: 2123: "Meta Collecting"

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:11 pm UTC

Lode wrote:The Wikipedia page also contains "Valuable works of art" and "Vintage cars", so good luck with that
xkcd: Priceless!
(And, for the car: 1 - buy a decent/distinct car, 2 - Wait, 3 - ???, 4 - Profit?)

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:06 pm UTC

One is reminded, oddly, of an alternative title once suggested for Monty Python's Flying Circus: "A Horse, A Spoon, and A Basin".

TheEngineer

Postby TheEngineer » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:29 pm UTC

Hopefully this comic will boost the value of my collection of air sickness bags. They're all vintage and mostly unused.

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:23 pm UTC

TheEngineer wrote:Hopefully this comic will boost the value of my collection of air sickness bags. They're all vintage and mostly unused.

Emphasis added.
[retching-noise emoticon]

Showsni

Postby Showsni » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:51 am UTC

Lode wrote:The Wikipedia page also contains "Valuable works of art" and "Vintage cars", so good luck with that

Luckily the vintage cars aren't a collection in themselves, but a subsection of the Theme section, so you'd only have to collect something related to vintage cars - maybe a hood ornament or postcard of one or something. You would need an actual valuable piece of art, though.

hetas

Postby hetas » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:37 am UTC

Reasonably priced art isn't collectible?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:50 am UTC

Being collectable makes art high priced.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:50 am UTC

You can get a vintage car for a reasonable price if you're not picky about which kind or what condition it's in. Just ask Tyler Hoover.

And before I got to the caption, I thought this comic was somehow related to the I Spy books.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:20 am UTC

Luckily the vintage cars aren't a collection in themselves, but a subsection of the Theme section, so you'd only have to collect something related to vintage cars -

"Airlines" are also a subsection of the themes...

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:43 am UTC

Showsni wrote:

Luckily the vintage cars aren't a collection in themselves, but a subsection of the Theme section, so you'd only have to collect something related to vintage cars - maybe a hood ornament or postcard of one or something. You would need an actual valuable piece of art, though.

Go for a twofer and get a valuable piece of art of a vintage car.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:14 am UTC

sotanaht wrote:Go for a twofer and get a valuable piece of art of a vintage car.

Ceci n'est pas une collectible.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:52 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
sotanaht wrote:Go for a twofer and get a valuable piece of art of a vintage car.

Ceci n'est pas une collectible.

I need one of those.

Showsni

Postby Showsni » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:25 pm UTC

I wonder which single item could fulfil most categories? A stamp of a vintage car that is itself a valuable piece of art? A first edition newspaper featuring ads for Coca Cola and McDonald's with a picture of a Harley Davidson on the front? An antique teddy bear in a British Air sick bag?

gimmespamnow

Postby gimmespamnow » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:45 pm UTC

I race a "yacht" weekly. It was built in the 70s, you can tow it behind a small car and boat by itself it worth less than $2k, (but the trailer and an outboard motor basically double the value.) Of course, the real cost in this isn't the purchase price, it is the maintenance...

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:09 pm UTC

gimmespamnow wrote:I race a "yacht" weekly. It was built in the 70s, you can tow it behind a small car and boat by itself it worth less than $2k, (but the trailer and an outboard motor basically double the value.) Of course, the real cost in this isn't the purchase price, it is the maintenance...

Is it not a luxury yacht? (Pronounced: "throatwobbler mangrove".)

80-watt Hamster

Postby 80-watt Hamster » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:38 pm UTC

gimmespamnow wrote:I race a "yacht" weekly. It was built in the 70s, you can tow it behind a small car and boat by itself it worth less than $2k, (but the trailer and an outboard motor basically double the value.) Of course, the real cost in this isn't the purchase price, it is the maintenance...

So what qualifies something a yacht? My impression's always been: 1. recreational, 2. seaworthy (as in open ocean), and 3. contains berths.
80-watt Hamster

gimmespamnow

Postby gimmespamnow » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:57 pm UTC

80-watt Hamster wrote:

So what qualifies something a yacht? My impression's always been: 1. recreational, 2. seaworthy (as in open ocean), and 3. contains berths.

That is my understanding too. Although for 2: "won't swamp/capsize on a nice day or two in the ocean" (yep, done it) is a very different standard than "can cross the Pacific during typical weather" (certainly not the way it is setup now,) which is of course also different than "I would enjoy taking this boat that far." (No.)

And then there are microyachts:
https://www.yachtingworld.com/extraordi ... tic-107559
(Although I have to question if it really meets the "berth" standard...)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”