2119: Video Orientation

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: 2119: Video Orientation

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:38 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:
Showsni wrote:Just rotate the video camera from horizontal to vertical as you record to please everyone give everyone motion sickness. (You might need to install your television sofa on some kind of rotating disc, though.)

Fixed that for you

Fixed that for you more.

DanD

Postby DanD » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:24 am UTC

SomethingAwesome wrote:Square sensors (4096x4096) and decide in software what orientation to film in. This allows for the usage of sensors that have defects (I don't know if there is any yield concern while creating these sensors?) on maximum 1936x1936 of the surface of the sensor.

Major ones. But the majority of sensors in use have some defects and they are generally imperceptible. (Having worked for a company that did large format microscopic image analysis, we paid a serious premium for truly defect free sensors.)

Time Traveler

Postby Time Traveler » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:50 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:vertical letterbox-bars

That's called "pillarboxing".

Is there a name for both at once? Seriously, can we fix the trend of 21:9 video being letterboxed into 16:9, which in turn gets pillarboxed on a correctly-proportioned-for-the-original-media 21:9 monitor.

I don't know if there's a name for it other than "incompetence," but this phenomenon was addressed way back in comic 1187, which has a good suggestion for what we should do to the people who create videos like that.

I'm also confused by "Never trust anyone who talks to you from inside a circle." The Looney Toons and Family Circle references don't seem like satisfying explanations to me.
xkcd fan since 2009.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:34 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:The TV people have already standardised on the "how do we show portrait-orientation photos on our landscape-orientated-medium?" issue. Instead of black background that gives vertical letterbox-bars that are increasingly annoying as the portrait and landscape ratios each head well away from unity, blur and expand the over-picture as its own background to make a sort-of-contiguous peripherality that meets the side of the screen, probably with room for manual panning up and down if there's a better distribution of vertical cropping needed.

If you are talking about those blurry, gray "stylized pillarboxes" that TV news channels use that just repeat stretched parts of the video to confuse the viewer, I have no idea how those are desirable for anyone.

Hafting

Postby Hafting » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:31 pm UTC

HES wrote:Is there a name for both at once? Seriously, can we fix the trend of 21:9 video being letterboxed into 16:9, which in turn gets pillarboxed on a correctly-proportioned-for-the-original-media 21:9 monitor.

While you're at it, lets fix the idiocy of adding gunk to the sides of a portrait-mode video so that it becomes a landscape video. It would of course be better not to record portrait video in the first place. But if I watch it on a phone/tablet, I can turn the phone to portrait mode and see the portrait video decently. But I can't even do that, if some ... bad person ... stupidly converted it to landscape. It only works in landscape, and is a loss on any kind of display. Why do they do that?

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:56 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:Made me wonder if any cinema has actually been done in portrait orientation. Sure enough, it's a thing:

https://www.slashfilm.com/meet-the-vert ... -movement/

And Battlefield Earth was the first movie filmed in diagonal orientation.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:48 am UTC

Mutex wrote:
Heimhenge wrote:Made me wonder if any cinema has actually been done in portrait orientation. Sure enough, it's a thing:

https://www.slashfilm.com/meet-the-vert ... -movement/

And Battlefield Earth was the first movie filmed in diagonal orientation.

Film, maybe, but the 1960s Batman TV series used it a lot.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:40 am UTC

Honestly, Battlefield Earth makes Batman's use of Dutch angles look restrained.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:20 am UTC

Three percent of Rottentomatoes reviewers loved it.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:21 pm UTC

Hafting wrote:While you're at it, lets fix the idiocy of adding gunk to the sides of a portrait-mode video so that it becomes a landscape video.

I keep wondering what NSFW action they're blurring out on the side of the image.

At least they haven't yet done the same thing for the audio channel.
(Look at these huge unused sidebands! We should echo everything at higher and lower frequencies!)

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Thu May 02, 2019 4:27 pm UTC

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/samsung-embraces-vertical-videos-with-a-16000-vertical-tv/
BECAUSE ROTATING A TV IS EASIER THAN ROTATING YOUR PHONE —
Samsung built a vertical TV for (who else?) the millennials
Samsung's "Sero" is a 43-inch TV mounted on a rotating stand.

Maybe some Samsung techs are xkcd fans...?
But then we're back to the 'remote' issue. You have to get up, walk over, and rotate the TV manually!!
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu May 02, 2019 4:36 pm UTC

Keyman wrote:Samsung built a vertical TV for (who else?) the millennials
Samsung's "Sero" is a 43-inch TV mounted on a rotating stand.

Ah, the vacation-picture slide-show-projector for the new generation.

Just, rather than pictures of the family, it's all pictures of the food they ate.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”