2056: Horror Movies

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Ken_g6

2056: Horror Movies

Postby Ken_g6 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:19 pm UTC

Title Text: "Isn't the original Jurassic Park your favorite movie of all time?" "Yes, but that's because I like dinosaurs and I WANT there to be an island full of them. If John Hammond's lab had been breeding serial killers in creepy masks, I wouldn't have watched!" "Wait, are you sure? That could actually be good." "Ok, I WOULD watch the scenes where Jeff Goldblum tries to convince a bunch of executives that the park is a bad idea."

And roller coasters. I don't get those either. Why do people enjoy scaring themselves? :roll:

Reka

Re: 2056: Horror Movies

Postby Reka » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:31 pm UTC

GOOMHR. Seriously.

Though the title text isn't true for me, so there's that.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:42 pm UTC

Reka wrote:GOOMHR. Seriously.
okay.
NieXS wrote:Oh god that smiley ruined it.
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Mutex wrote:Enjoy the shoe!

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:43 pm UTC

For me, roller coasters are less about the fear than about the guaranteed nausea and vomiting.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:49 pm UTC

Adrenaline junkies. 'nuff said.

Either that or they get off on watching youngsters get sliced up as punishment for having sex.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:54 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Adrenaline junkies. 'nuff said.
what do you mean? Please elaborate.
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

WriteBrainedJR

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:58 pm UTC

Ken_g6 wrote:And roller coasters. I don't get those either. Why do people enjoy scaring themselves? :roll:

Roller coasters don't scare me. They move just wildly enough to get the adrenaline going.

A good motorcycle ride is more fun than a roller coaster, though. Even a mediocre motorcycle ride is just as fun.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:02 pm UTC

Like roller coasters, hate horror movies.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:22 pm UTC

Ken_g6 wrote:[url=https://xkcd.com/2056/]And roller coasters. I don't get those either.

And coloring books. And parades. And, for the most part, fireworks displays. And just about all sports.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:21 pm UTC

So how was y'alls weekend?

Reka

Postby Reka » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:25 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
Ken_g6 wrote:And roller coasters. I don't get those either.

And coloring books. And parades. And, for the most part, fireworks displays. And just about all sports.

I can understand being scared of fireworks displays, and I suppose parades have the danger of possibly including scary clowns, but coloring books?

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:28 pm UTC

Reka wrote:
da Doctah wrote:
Ken_g6 wrote:And roller coasters. I don't get those either.

I can understand being scared of fireworks displays, and I suppose parades have the danger of possibly including scary clowns, but coloring books?

I didn't say I was scared. I said I didn't get them.

Same with parades. Stand by the side of the road and watch a bunch of trucks and people in uniforms walk by. How is that fun?

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:37 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:Stand by the side of the road and watch a bunch of trucks and people in uniforms walk by. How is that fun?
Don't quote me on this, but I hear some people..."like" the uniforms and trucks? As in, they find them aesthetically pleasing, somehow.

Maybe some of those trucks are specifically designed to look good...

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:40 pm UTC

Image I "like" this one, but I'm not sure I can describe why. Get out of my head Randall indeed

fluffysheap

Postby fluffysheap » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:01 pm UTC

Parades are about getting a big crowd together to watch people go past in garishly decorated vehicles. It's basically the same as NASCAR. Also, in both cases, most of the crowd is bored and secretly hoping there will be a horrible accident.

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:36 pm UTC

I like rollercoasters but chess frightens me so I don't go on rollercoasters.

sonar1313

Postby sonar1313 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:02 am UTC

I would love rollercoasters if I could teleport onto them after the first giant hill.

However, there is no such corollary for horror movies. Not only does paying money to be scared sound kinda dumb, I also don't care for most movies or stories where the plot comes about because the main characters are making objectively stupid decisions. This covers a lot of non-horror stuff too.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:24 am UTC

Old Bruce wrote:I like rollercoasters but chess frightens me so I don't go on rollercoasters.
That's not a reason not to go on rollercoasters. It is however a reason not to be a photographer.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

FOARP

Postby FOARP » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:08 am UTC

sonar1313 wrote:... I also don't care for most movies or stories where the plot comes about because the main characters are making objectively stupid decisions. This covers a lot of non-horror stuff too.

You must find the real world a bit of a trial as well.

gormster

Postby gormster » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:55 am UTC

Ken_g6 wrote:And roller coasters. I don't get those either. Why do people enjoy scaring themselves? :roll:

Roller coasters aren't scary, they're fun. Obviously not if you suffer from motion sickness, but otherwise the sensations of weightlessness (and increased G forces) are pretty widely considered pleasurable.
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:08 am UTC

When I was a little kid scared by some horror movies and by some roller coasters, I liked watching scary horror movies but didn't like the scary parts of the scary coasters. I soon found that most of the ride was fun, and once I got over my fear of heights (mostly) around 11 or 12, they were some of my favorite things around. The fear was definitely not the point, it was the exciting, fast motion, turns, hills, rapid changes in acceleration, etc. Oh, and riding with friends was obviously part of it.

But as I got older and horror movies got less scary, they just got worse. There is nothing fun about watching a horror movie that was intended to scare you but failed. For the most part these days, I am incapable of being scared by a movie, so I just don't watch horror movies anymore. The vast majority of them that Hollywood puts out have no other purpose but fear, the way some low-budget comedies are little more than a string of jokes. When I see a comedy, I would like to do more than just laugh, and many comedies are great movies on their own. I do still want to laugh though. When I see a horror movie, I would like to do more than just scream, but the producers don't seem to believe that. They think people only ever watch horror movies to get scared and that's that, so everything else that might make the movie good is eschewed, and the ratings show it. There's a reason the worst-rated movies each year are horror movies and why there are rarely well-rated ones. So if they aren't even scary (frankly, most aren't even the tiniest bit), they are completely worthless.

J%r

Postby J%r » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:56 am UTC

So that means horror movies and videos of people falling (or failing) are very much alike?

tms

Postby tms » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:36 pm UTC

I guess "hard core" horror films are mostly boring to me, some may be fine.

Of course exceptional movies can be horror. But I can't name an example that sits in the quoted category.
- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:33 pm UTC

tms wrote:I guess "hard core" horror films are mostly boring to me, some may be fine.

Of course exceptional movies can be horror. But I can't name an example that sits in the quoted category.

I would nominate Kubrick's "The Shining" for that category.

But yeah ... what are also called "slasher movies" pretty much bore me. Pun intended.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:21 pm UTC

I'd call the feeling "exhilarated": with both roller coasters and horror films you know there's no real* danger to you, there's just a (sympathetic) fear of the unknown for a moment that is resolved** the next. They don't compare to things I'm actually afraid of.

fluffysheap wrote:Parades are about getting a big crowd together to watch people go past in garishly decorated vehicles. It's basically the same as NASCAR.

Ouch, that hurt. :oops:
But if you're right, I should go and watch a NASCAR race when I ever happen in the US.

Weeks wrote:So how was y'alls weekend?

'twas alright. More exciting than a bog-standard horror film, less exciting than a good roller coaster (it had at most 2 emotional inversions, if you can call 'em that). Also less blood and intestines flying around than either.
Yours?

*well, there's the odd chance that the roller coaster may break mid-run, but that's less likely than getting hit by a car or stumbling over something and hitting your head badly
**in most cases. Who's got some good films where the dread lingers for some time or isn't resolved at all? Perhaps The Witch qualifies?

rhhardin

Postby rhhardin » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:47 pm UTC

Reine, reine,
gueux éveille.
Gomme à gaine,
en horreur, taie.

(Queen, queen, arouse the rabble, who use their girdles, horrors, as pillow-slips)

Mots d'Heures: Gousses, Rames

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:18 pm UTC

I take back what I said earlier. There are some horror movies that I like. But they are unconventional for that genre. Things where the scary thing isn't some monster or blank-eyed killer killing for no reason than to kill, but something insidious and psychological. The first example that comes to mind is The Babaduk, but I can't say why without spoiling it, so
Spoiler:
it's implied that the "monster" is actually a figment of the mother's stress-addled imagination, and that she herself, in her deteriorating mental state, is the real threat to herself and her child. When they "lock the monster up" and "feed it" in the epilogue, the implication is that the mother still has this crazed dangerous aspect to herself, and when she "goes down to the basement to feed the monster" she's doing something to keep herself from just lashing out and threatening her child again.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:47 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:Stand by the side of the road and watch a bunch of trucks and people in uniforms walk by. How is that fun?

Thank You! Someone else finally says it.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:00 pm UTC

rhhardin wrote:Reine, reine,
gueux éveille.
Gomme à gaine,
en horreur, taie.

(Queen, queen, arouse the rabble, who use their girdles, horrors, as pillow-slips)

Mots d'Heures: Gousses, Rames

Pas de lieu Rhône que nous. (Again, literal translation is tricky, but it's kind of the equivalent of "there's no place like home" but expressed by the inhabitants of the Rhone region).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

DavidSh

Postby DavidSh » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:02 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:I didn't say I was scared. I said I didn't get them.

Same with parades. Stand by the side of the road and watch a bunch of trucks and people in uniforms walk by. How is that fun?

I wait for a band to come by, and then I follow it. That's fun for me.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:49 pm UTC

This is just one of the oldest questions in aesthetics: Why do we enjoy watching bad things? Horror is watching scary things, drama is watching sad things, comedy is watching stupid things, mystery is watching things that don't make sense, action is watching dangerous things.

Pfhorrest wrote:There are some horror movies that I like. But they are unconventional for that genre.
I'd say that's a basic tenet of doing horror right; things don't work the way you feel they should. After seeing too many serial killers with masks and big knifes, that scenario starts to feel normal.
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:37 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:Why do we enjoy watching bad things?
Catharsis? Rehearsal? It's better to watch these things than to actually be in them, and watching them prepares us to face them when they happen for real, or to deal with the aftermath after a bad experience? Because while art is about aesthetics, it's also about emotion, and the interplay of the two.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:52 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:This is just one of the oldest questions in aesthetics: Why do we enjoy watching bad things? Horror is watching scary things, drama is watching sad things, comedy is watching stupid things, mystery is watching things that don't make sense, action is watching dangerous things.

There now. That wasn't so good, was it?

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:14 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:This is just one of the oldest questions in aesthetics: Why do we enjoy watching bad things? Horror is watching scary things, drama is watching sad things, comedy is watching stupid things, mystery is watching things that don't make sense, action is watching dangerous things.

There now. That wasn't so good, was it?
By bad things they meant things that are emotionally upsetting, not merely assaults to the senses, you realize? I don't think they were talking about people enjoying, say, the sound of traffic or the smell of garbage. I think. Maybe.

pkcommando wrote:

Thank You! Someone else finally says it.
Someone finally said they don't like something you don't like either? That's incredible, congratulations.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:18 am UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:There are some horror movies that I like. But they are unconventional for that genre.
I'd say that's a basic tenant of doing horror right; things don't work the way you feel they should.

(emphasis added)

I was going to chide you for using a word you've never seen in print, but then I thought, "well, if you think about it, 'tenant' almost could be correct here, if you push the meaning of the sentence around a little."
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

sonar1313

Postby sonar1313 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:25 pm UTC

It doesn't have to be. Drama can be about joy instead of sadness. Comedy can be awfully clever and intelligent. Mystery is watching things that do make sense, they just require a mental challenge to make it so. Action can be just as much about triumph as danger. Yes, a lot of that stuff requires bad things to happen along the way, but in most cases we're watching because we're rooting for the good things. Rom-coms are popular with the ladies who are rooting for the couple to get together in the end. Action is popular because we're hoping and expecting the good guys to win in the end.

I did leave out horror in that list, for a reason. Because I agree with the comic. And my disagreement here ends when movies such as Requiem for a Dream come up. Hated that movie because it's basically nothing but, as you put it, watching bad things. Over and over and over. In the end, I want to be entertained, that's the point of entertainment. Whether I have to think along the way is a bonus - it's great if yes and usually improves the product; if not it's probably fine as long as the entertainment is there. I'd rather see two hours of Liam Neeson casually wiping out the evil people who had anything to do with abducting his daughter - because the violence and the danger are interesting but it's the triumph of the just that makes it worthwhile - than two hours of people I'm supposed to care about doing progressively dumber things with predictable results.

Tobias

Postby Tobias » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:43 pm UTC

Yeah if we're going with "why do people enjoy watching terrible things happen to people", horror isn't gonna be the go-to genre for that. Tear jerkers I can almost get, cringe comedy makes me want to die. Makes me feel way worse than any horror movie ever had - there were parts of Silicon Valley where I had to leave the room it made me so uncomfortable.

jozwa

Postby jozwa » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:58 pm UTC

I've never been a fan of "scary" stuff, be it fast rollercoasters or scary movies/games. I get motion sick and heights make me a bit nervous, so I'm not gonna go into that ride that spins around 100 meters above the ground. Later I've started to appreciate thrilling horror stories (e.g. The Walking Dead and The Others), but I just have little patience for jumpscares and the dread that comes from expecting them. I think "horror" as a genre is ambiguous; so many different kinds of movies fit under it that there must be something for almost everyone.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:00 pm UTC

sonar1313 wrote:It doesn't have to be.
Bad things are necessary, but often not sufficient.

Drama can have happiness contrast the sadness, and that can be very satisfying, but it's a contrast.

Comedy can be holistically intelligent, and that's done by finding novel or subtle ways to make the characters do/ say idiotic things. And even if the characters are all consistently intelligent in all aspects of their lives, when they crack a joke, they pretend stupidity, if only for a moment.

Happy endings are pretty common. But ask yourself which would be a better story: bad stuff without a happy ending or happy ending without bad stuff first? The ending isn't the story, it's where the story runs out.

Also note "bad stuff" doesn't need to be severe: My little pony plots all follow the plot: thing happens, bad things happen along the way, things are resolved. Seinfeld would often end with bad stuff unresolved, it's just easy not to notice because important things seldom happened in that show.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:29 pm UTC

Someone once asked me what a vampire film needs in order to be good. I replied that it needs the same as any other film. She moved on before I could think how to phrase the part of the answer that would have come after a colon at the end of that: the audience has to want to know what's going to happen. If you watch the first minute of the film and you know exactly who's going to die and who's going to make it and everything they're going to do along the way, there's no more wanting to know. If you get 15 minutes into the film and just don't care about anyone in it, there's no more wanting to know. If you want to know whether the fluffy little husky puppy finds a loving home, the film can work. If you want to see the lesbian couple survive the film and set up a loving home (for the first time in cinema history?) and don't know whether they shall, the film can work.

Flumble wrote:Who's got some good films where the dread lingers for some time or isn't resolved at all?
I haven't seen the full thing, but judging by the trailer 2016 probably qualifies.

In the same vein, Schindler's List doesn't really let go of you after the cinema lights come back up and Warriors stuck with me for a long time. Not the "Come out to play" one. The BBC two-parter. 1 and 2 as long as you don't mind them being
CorruptUser wrote:hour long videos of poor quality.

You could also put The Constant Gardener and Blood Diamond with them. I don't know of equivalent films for the Brits' concentration camps in South Africa, the Turks' genocidal efforts against the Armenians or the Trail of Tears, but maybe someone else does. In all cases, the crucial difference is that they weren't made up for the film. It's the same as the difference between the next few minutes of this and this page full of numbers based on reality and stuff like 2012 or Armageddon made up for the sake of the film.

(Links to Warriors provided because last time I searched for it it wasn't actually available for sale anywhere. Other films you can look up and/or buy at leisure if you haven't already seen them and how many spoilers you like is up to you.)
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”