2024: "Light Hacks"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

2024: "Light Hacks"

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:31 pm UTC

Title text: Life hack: Wait for an advanced civilization to be briefly distracted, then sneak in and construct a slightly smaller Dyson sphere inside theirs.

And Dysonivov Spheres. Within the smaller sphere, someone has built an even smaller sphere, inside which..?

Jaaxter

Re: 2024: "Light Hacks"

Postby Jaaxter » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:51 pm UTC

Strictly speaking, I believe the title text suggestion would not be a "life hack," but rather an "unethical life pro tip."

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:00 pm UTC

Life Hack: Grocery stores let you take food home that you can eat later when you give them money.

Life Hack: You can avoid damaging your eyes by not staring directly into the sun.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:11 pm UTC

I seem to have managed to avoid forums and feeds and web pages that talk about "life hacks" in the first place.

Thus I need to ask:

What's the difference between a life hack and a life crack?

Are there White Hat and Black Hat life hackers?

Do I need Kaspersky to protect my life from being hacked?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:20 pm UTC

The Viz has been publishing lifehacks for decades, known as "Top Tips". One of my all-time favourites was "Don't waste money on expensive binoculars. Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view!"
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:00 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:The Viz has been publishing lifehacks for decades, known as "Top Tips". One of my all-time favourites was "Don't waste money on expensive binoculars. Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view!"
We have a similar family saying for picture taking. "Zoom with your feet."
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

tms

Postby tms » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:04 pm UTC

smaller

A perpetual motion sickness machine.
- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:36 pm UTC

Keyman wrote:
orthogon wrote:The Viz has been publishing lifehacks for decades, known as "Top Tips". One of my all-time favourites was "Don't waste money on expensive binoculars. Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view!"
We have a similar family saying for picture taking. "Zoom with your feet."

There's a famous New Yorker cartoon on that topic. In this case the person with the camera (fixed focus) says to his/her spouse, "back up a couple steps so I won't cut your head off the photo." Said spouse is one step in front of the edge of the cliff.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

anian

Postby anian » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:30 pm UTC

Is he suggesting they have small Dyson spheres at Ikea, or just describing reflective lampshades?

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:45 pm UTC

anian wrote:Is he suggesting they have small Dyson spheres at Ikea, or just describing reflective lampshades?

I don't know about Dyson Spheres (I didn't see any, on my first visit to one, just a couple of weeks ago), but they've definitely got a Hilbert Curve!

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:45 pm UTC

What I'm unclear on is what the (supposed) pros are of building your Dyson Sphere inside an existing one. The cons of literally casting shade at a more (technologically, not necessarily ethically) advanced civilisation are pretty obvious...

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:50 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:What I'm unclear on is what the (supposed) pros are of building your Dyson Sphere inside an existing one. The cons of literally casting shade at a more (technologically, not necessarily ethically) advanced civilisation are pretty obvious...

Well you wouldn't have to build a scaffold for one. Also it means they are NOT getting the energy, which in spite of their technological advancement if this is their only dyson sphere that puts you on the advantage over them.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:47 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:What I'm unclear on is what the (supposed) pros are of building your Dyson Sphere inside an existing one. The cons of literally casting shade at a more (technologically, not necessarily ethically) advanced civilisation are pretty obvious...

All the parts you need to build it are convieniently provided nearby. Like all such products with some assembly required, the instructions will be in an incomprehensible foreign language and you'll inevitably find you have some mysterious plates and screws and other widgets left over when you finish.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:50 am UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:

All the parts you need to build it are convieniently provided nearby. Like all such products with some assembly required, the instructions will be in an incomprehensible foreign language and you'll inevitably find you have some mysterious plates and screws and other widgets left over when you finish.

... kinda like what happens if you buy it at Ikea.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:37 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
anian wrote:Is he suggesting they have small Dyson spheres at Ikea, or just describing reflective lampshades?

I don't know about Dyson Spheres (I didn't see any, on my first visit to one, just a couple of weeks ago), but they've definitely got a Hilbert Curve!

You were probably looking in the Lighting section when they're in Storage. It's a common mistake.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:35 am UTC

pkcommando wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

You were probably looking in the Lighting section when they're in Storage. It's a common mistake.

I'd never buy a Dyson sphere now, following his pro-Brexit stance and general all-round arsiness.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

niauropsaka

Postby niauropsaka » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:18 am UTC

Is that the mad person from the planetarium?

serutan

Postby serutan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:20 am UTC

sotanaht wrote:Well you wouldn't have to build a scaffold for one. Also it means they are NOT getting the energy, which in spite of their technological advancement if this is their only dyson sphere that puts you on the advantage over them.

Yeah, but even building one at the equivalent of Venus orbit instead of Earth orbit will take long enough
that they'd likely twig in time. And as Arthur C. Clarke liked to put it they could well show up, slightly annoyed, at your construction site.
For a sentient herbivore, discretion is the only part of valor. - Larry Niven

zjxs

Postby zjxs » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:41 am UTC

Any sufficiently advanced life hack is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C Clarke.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”