1984: "Misinterpretation"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

drazen
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:35 pm UTC

Re: 1984: "Misinterpretation"

Postby drazen » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:06 pm UTC

I suppose that, technically, it's not the speaker's/writer's fault even if literally everyone misinterprets them, at least from a certain philosophical perspective (that all of us have our own way of viewing and interpreting the world, and that this is the result of deterministic physical and biological processes).

Also, perhaps he doesn't literally mean everyone? If he's merely being hyperbolic here, then that would change the entire meaning of the comic.

As with the A-B-C example above, what if "everyone" is just half of everyone, but they're the half that get ridiculously loud and angry and obnoxious whenever says something that does not comport with their beliefs?

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26546
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: 1984: "Misinterpretation"

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:01 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:Randall isn't saying there are no situations where the speaker isn't the one at fault for being misinterpreted.
I think you used the correct number, but wow that's a lot of embedded negations in one sentence.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Mutex
Posts: 1388
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

Re: 1984: "Misinterpretation"

Postby Mutex » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:13 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Mutex wrote:Randall isn't saying there are no situations where the speaker isn't the one at fault for being misinterpreted.
I think you used the correct number, but wow that's a lot of embedded negations in one sentence.

I'm not sure it wouldn't be impossible to make the point without refusing to avoid using that many negations though.

User avatar
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?
Posts: 2018
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:41 am UTC
Location: Ciudad de Panamá, Panamá

Re: 1984: "Misinterpretation"

Postby Weeks » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:20 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Mutex wrote:Randall isn't saying there are no situations where the speaker isn't the one at fault for being misinterpreted.
I think you used the correct number, but wow that's a lot of embedded negations in one sentence.

I'm not sure it wouldn't be impossible to make the point without refusing to avoid using that many negations though.
fuuuuck
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

User avatar
Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.
Posts: 3730
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 pm UTC
Location: 53-1

Re: 1984: "Misinterpretation"

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:54 pm UTC

Wee Red Bird wrote:Try mentioning the need for gun control on twitter. People you've never heard of will try to dismiss any argument you make and start making personal comments about you. You could even say that you have been surrounded by assholes. Doesn't make them the sane ones.

The people on Twitter really cover a large cross-section of society. Also a huge angry-section, a massive smugly-satisfied-section, a wide piss-taking-section, etc...

YTPrenewed
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:09 am UTC

Re: 1984: "Misinterpretation"

Postby YTPrenewed » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:57 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Wee Red Bird wrote:Try mentioning the need for gun control on twitter. People you've never heard of will try to dismiss any argument you make and start making personal comments about you. You could even say that you have been surrounded by assholes. Doesn't make them the sane ones.

The people on Twitter really cover a large cross-section of society. Also a huge angry-section, a massive smugly-satisfied-section, a wide piss-taking-section, etc...

Doesn't matter. By failing to distance themselves from the piss-taking, smugly-satisfied, or angry, everybody else has said by their silence that they agree with all of them.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mscha and 156 guests