1954: Impostor Syndrome

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

crystalmeph

1954: Impostor Syndrome

Postby crystalmeph » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:39 pm UTC

Title Text: It's actually worst in people who study the Dunning–Kruger effect. We tried to organize a conference on it, but the only people who would agree to give the keynote were random undergrads.

I guess no-one else feels competent enough to post this. If I try, do you promise not to berate me for being so incompetent at it?

For real though, I feel like impostor syndrome is more common in the technology field, what with all the high-speed changes we're supposed to keep up with. I'm always worried that I'm going to be outed for not keeping up with the latest javascript frameworks, even though I'm an embedded developer.

New User

Re: 1954: Impostor Syndrome

Postby New User » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:50 pm UTC

And now Wikipedia gets a sudden uptick in hits for the article on the Dunning-Kruger effect.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:51 pm UTC

New User wrote:And now Wikipedia gets a sudden uptick in hits for the article on the Dunning-Kruger effect.

It gets more interesting if you take the position that their names are actually Jason Dunning and Freddie Kruger
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

skout

Postby skout » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:13 pm UTC

New User wrote:And now Wikipedia gets a sudden uptick in hits for the article on the Dunning-Kruger effect.

I recognized this immediately and refused to cooperate. I will remain ignorant (so far as anyone peeking at my Google history knows!)

Velo Steve

Postby Velo Steve » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:46 pm UTC

Thanks, Randall, for ruining my whole morning's productivity!

Comic -> Dunning–Kruger on Wikipedia
they won an Ig-Nobel? -> reviewing the whole history of Ig-Nobel prize recipients
cat a liquid or solid? -> Rheology Bulletin, On the Rheology of Cats
links crediting article images -> one of those stupid click-bait sites

I came "this" close to watching cat videos!

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:49 pm UTC

I wonder frequently whether I have imposter syndrome, or if I only wish I did because that would mean my insecurities are unfounded and everyone else thinks I’m more awesome than I think I am, which would be nice.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:58 pm UTC

skout wrote:

I recognized this immediately and refused to cooperate. I will remain ignorant (so far as anyone peeking at my Google history knows!)

I suspect you are deliberately underestimating your understanding of the Dunning-Kruger effect, out of an irrational fear of surveillance. You have Paranoid-Dunning-Kruger-impostor-effect-syndrome-by-proxy.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:39 pm UTC

I, of course, am an expert on understanding the meaning of the phrase "Dunning-Kruger effect". Or am I?

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:02 pm UTC

I'm entirely confident that you are. Sorry.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:09 am UTC

After reading through these posts, the Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect makes me think you're all experts!

JohnTheWysard

Postby JohnTheWysard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:09 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:After reading through these posts, the Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect makes me think you're all experts!

Expert, from Ex-spurt: A drip under pressure.

MakingProgress

Postby MakingProgress » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:26 pm UTC

crystalmeph wrote:...
For real though, I feel like impostor syndrome is more common in the technology field, what with all the high-speed changes we're supposed to keep up with. I'm always worried that I'm going to be outed for not keeping up with the latest javascript frameworks, even though I'm an embedded developer.

Javascript is old hat. Everybody does typescript now. :twisted:

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:43 pm UTC

MakingProgress wrote:Javascript is old hat. Everybody doeshates typescript now. :twisted:
FTFY

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:58 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I wonder frequently whether I have imposter syndrome, or if I only wish I did because that would mean my insecurities are unfounded and everyone else thinks I’m more awesome than I think I am, which would be nice.

It is hard to say without knowing what you and the other forumites think, but if you have to wonder, I'd say the odds are pretty good.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”