1898: "October 2017"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ruurdjan

1898: "October 2017"

Postby ruurdjan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:37 am UTC

Title text: "And yet I have no trouble believing that the start of the 2016 election was several decades ago."

And there I was thinking the elections were in 2015... It's been less then a year but it feels at least twice that. :?

HES

Re: 1898: "October 2017"

Postby HES » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:45 am UTC

I mean, you do start your election campaigns way early.
He/Him/His Image

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:28 am UTC

Yeah, well...

I'm absolutely not telling you just which number high school reunion I'm going to this October. It's bad enough that I know who "Mr. October" is, and remember watching him do his thing on live TV.

HES wrote:I mean, you do start your election campaigns way early.

I officially started my 2020 campaign in the Fall of 2016, but at least I have the good graces not to actually run ads, or shake hands with babies, or kiss union workers, for a few more years.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

jgh

Postby jgh » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:40 pm UTC

I feel old whenever discussion goes on about GCSEs, or - worse - when a job application asks me how many/what GCSEs I have.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:48 pm UTC

jgh wrote:I feel old whenever discussion goes on about GCSEs, or - worse - when a job application asks me how many/what GCSEs I have.

Galactic Cosmological Stellar Events? :P :lol:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:44 pm UTC

HES wrote:I mean, you do start your election campaigns way early.

It's a more horrible version of Christmas decorations out before Halloween, or even before kids have gone back to school.

"...early speculation has already put the senator in the running for the next Presidential election. And in breaking news, the results are in for this Presidential election. We go live to a our correspondent, already on the scene at the candidate's headquarters. [Correspondent], do we have any word from the victor on what he thinks of the senator challenging him in 4 years?"
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:48 pm UTC

jgh wrote:I feel old whenever discussion goes on about GCSEs, or - worse - when a job application asks me how many/what GCSEs I have.

I was (I think) the second cohort to do GCSEs, but left a couple of years before they renumbered the school years. So anyone saying "when I was in year x" seems like a whippersnapper to me although they could be into their forties, whilst anybody who talks about their O-levels seems ancient (sorry!), even though they might only be two years older than me.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

jgh

Postby jgh » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:58 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

Galactic Cosmological Stellar Events? :P :lol:

To go with the humour:
Q: What's the American equivalent of GCSEs?
A: A four-year bachelor's degree.

GCSEs (General Certificate of Education) are two-year exams that English&Welsh 16/17-year-olds that were born after 1971 take at the end of secondary school. I'm older than that so I took GCE 'O' Levels (General Certificate of Education Ordinary Level). Both of them are entry qualifications to do a two-year GCE 'A' level (Advanced Level) or one-year AS (Advanced Subsidiary) course or various post-school courses. Arguments rage over which are the more "valuable"/"dumbed-down".

jgh

Postby jgh » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:00 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:

I was (I think) the second cohort to do GCSEs, but left a couple of years before they renumbered the school years. So anyone saying "when I was in year x" seems like a whippersnapper to me although they could be into their forties, whilst anybody who talks about their O-levels seems ancient (sorry!), even though they might only be two years older than me.

Oh god, the nonsense of secondary being year 7 to year 11 followed by Sixth Form. When I was a school governor I had to keep mentally recalculating everything in my head into real money.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:29 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I was (I think) the second cohort to do GCSEs, but left a couple of years before they renumbered the school years. So anyone saying "when I was in year x" seems like a whippersnapper to me although they could be into their forties, whilst anybody who talks about their O-levels seems ancient (sorry!), even though they might only be two years older than me.

I have real difficulty with the larger counts, too. First year(/form) to fifth year(/form) is for pre-A-Levels (of whatever composition, albeit years 1-3 being 'prep' only, 4 and 5 being when it's done seriously), and then lower/upper sixth years is for A-level years (in the optional but normal scheme of things). I can never quite remember with K-12, or whatever the upper count is, what number to add to get the median age of a student in that year (5? Guessing!), while I know what age I personally went to Big School.

And then there's the Framework relating to education levels. I've had numerous interviews where it seems I'm expected to know that I got to level 6 (it seems), rather than refer to the actual qualification name/course details/place of study. I suspect that students these days get an actual lesson on what their educations mean in the base measurement, and no doubt some people have earned B.Ed.s with the learning of such things as a mandatory module!

(Although at least my additional profession-targetted NVQ levels seem keyed to the (lower) levels directly. Now I just need to remember to "add 2" for my academic stuff/whatever.)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:56 pm UTC

And there's yet another overhaul of the UK system currently in progress - in England, GCSEs are going to be graded from 1 (worst) to 9 (currently best - forward thinking journalists are already working on Spinal Tap jokes) and AS-levels are being decoupled from A-levels - if you do an AS-level and then go on to do the related A-level, your marks in the AS-level are now irrelevant - the A-level is entirely based on your final exam(s). AS-levels are expected to continue to be used by universities as predictors of students' A-level results, so they're not really any more optional under the new system...

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:28 pm UTC

I did GCSEs mostly in one year (took Maths a year early, got an A before A* was invented) then 1 AS and a few As two years later (AAB and half a B, in UCAS points terms). If I'd gone straight into the RAF as a tech and stayed in, I'd be due for retirement now with a lot of jobs open to me to supplement my pension. Of course, to have stayed in the forces I'd have to have remained ignorant of what a total clusterfuck our government was making of using them overseas or had my conscience surgically removed (chemical suppression didn't work on me).

>.>

<.<

O.o

There could be people born on my actual enlistment date currently serving overseas in my old job. I wonder how they feel about the "special relationship" and how much Trump scares them.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:23 am UTC

What a random approach to the "wanna feel old" thing. One, was the release of The Social Network really that much of a cultural milestone that the length of time since then matters to anyone? Two, I feel like if you're going to talk about someone breaking a mirror seven years ago, it would make more sense if you started at a point where they—or a sizable population of people, collectively—started actually having an unbroken string of bad luck. Again, not really seeing 2010 as being the turning point where everything went to hell for anyone in particular. 2014, sure, if you want to get into politics. 2008, maybe, if you're implying it's about the economy.

Maybe the sheer randomness of it is the joke? That these "wanna feel old?" clickbait pieces are resorting to increasingly arbitrary measurements to justify websites continuing to churn them out?
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:25 am UTC

I think the angle here is that this whole Facespace stuff is new enough as it is and certainly making a movie about it is trendy and hip as fuck but holy shit the Facebook movie was seven years ago already? How is Facebook itself even seven years old yet?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:23 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:How is Facebook itself even seven years old yet?
I still treat it as a flash in the pan. It won't last much beyond Christmas. Then all those kids will move on to the next trivial thing. Definitely.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:59 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
I still treat it as a flash in the pan. It won't last much beyond Christmas. Then all those kids will move on to the next trivial thing. Definitely.

Just like that little war over in France? The one that started when some chap called Archie Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:52 pm UTC

In fairness that war didn't even make it as far as Christmas, 1918.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Vroomfundel

Postby Vroomfundel » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:59 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:

Those kids? Are you, like, 87? Didn't you get the memo that facebook is now for old people? Kids moved on to the next thing... probably about 7 years ago.
lexicum.net - my vocabulary learning platform

iabervon

Postby iabervon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:40 pm UTC

"Just think, the light from that star was emitted before the start of the 2016 election."

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:52 pm UTC

iabervon wrote:"Just think, the light from that star was emitted before the start of the 2016 election."

Well, the light we see now from most stars was emitted before any of us were born.
hmm.. I wonder how many stars are close enough that the light they emitted when I was born has already reached here?
hmm.. perhaps that could be used as an alternative measurement of age? I'm sure the data is readily available, it'd just be a matter of mapping it to a cumulative function. Granted the values are very non-linear. The first few earth years would be rather boring waiting for the light from Alpha Centauri to reach here and then the next star, etc. But then things would pick up as you grew older. You'd probably want to do some sort of logarithmic scale to account for the fact that the longer the distance the more stars that are about that distance away.
Based on the list on this page, by the time you reach 10 earth years you'd still only be 3 star-lights old, you'd pick up 5 between 10 and 12 then wait again until 16 when you'd pick up a few more. Starting just prior to your 19th birthday (reaching star-light age of 12) is when the regular stream will start pouring in

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:03 pm UTC

Relevant xkcd.
Just think, the light emitted from Sirius on the day that comic was published is halfway to us now.

ETA: airdrik, I like the idea. :)
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:17 pm UTC

Vroomfundel wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

Those kids? Are you, like, 87? Didn't you get the memo that facebook is now for old people? Kids moved on to the next thing... probably about 7 years ago.

...What the heck was the next thing back in 2010? I don't think Exodus took off, Snapchat is intentionally ephemeral, Twitter's got no contacts list system...instagram? Didn't that used to just be a clown storage site for photographs with lame hipster-town image filters built-in?
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:24 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
iabervon wrote:"Just think, the light from that star was emitted before the start of the 2016 election."

Well, the light we see now from most stars was emitted before any of us were born.
hmm.. I wonder how many stars are close enough that the light they emitted when I was born has already reached here?
hmm.. perhaps that could be used as an alternative measurement of age? I'm sure the data is readily available, it'd just be a matter of mapping it to a cumulative function. Granted the values are very non-linear. The first few earth years would be rather boring waiting for the light from Alpha Centauri to reach here and then the next star, etc. But then things would pick up as you grew older. You'd probably want to do some sort of logarithmic scale to account for the fact that the longer the distance the more stars that are about that distance away.
Based on the list on this page, by the time you reach 10 earth years you'd still only be 3 star-lights old, you'd pick up 5 between 10 and 12 then wait again until 16 when you'd pick up a few more. Starting just prior to your 19th birthday (reaching star-light age of 12) is when the regular stream will start pouring in

For some people, this would be rather easy -- just fire up Elite: Dangerous, get a ship with a jump range of over 40LY to sol, pop a frameshift drive injection to double your range, then record your list of in-range systems.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”