1892: "USB Cables"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

CelticNot

1892: "USB Cables"

Postby CelticNot » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:12 pm UTC

Titled Text: Tag yourself, I'm "frayed."

I'm "weird shape".
This sig for rent. Rates negotiable.

Draconaes

Re: 1892: "USB Cables"

Postby Draconaes » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:16 pm UTC

I'm "needs to be twisted to keep working".

The obvious solution is to have only a single USB cable. Then, it will be the good one.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:21 pm UTC

Most of mine fall out the phone too easily (Wileyfox Swift, the port is recessed just a little too much). And the one that stays in the phone securely falls out at the other end, because it's one of those silly "stylish" USB-A's that doesn't have the outer bit.
He/Him/His Image

Reka

Postby Reka » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:23 pm UTC

This also applies to the various iterations of iPad/iPhone cables. And it's getting increasingly difficult to find the old-style iPad cables, i.e. pre-Lightning connector. (Yes, I have an iPad 2. Yes, it's no longer being updated. Yes, it still works. No, I'm not getting a new one.)

Forgot to tag myself: I'm "too short".

Velo Steve

Postby Velo Steve » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:55 pm UTC

I'm a USB C - "can't tell which way is up".

And why do I have all these B-connector cables lying around?

Willl

Postby Willl » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:59 pm UTC

Right-angle connectors are a seriously underrated "weird shape". If you want to rest a device on the side that has its USB port (e.g. using most phones in portrait mode while charging) a conventional cable will support the weight of the device on top of the emerging cable, compressing a roughly 90° bend in the wire. This is the reason Randall has two frayed ones...

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:04 pm UTC

How come he left out the 4 or 5 huge odd-shaped connectors that showed up in the early days,
not to mention leaving out the various "mini" but not "micro" connectors that were briefly in vogue?
My problem, as you might have guessed, is not finding a USB cable with the right far-end connector for some ancient piece of gear.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:08 pm UTC

GOOMmicro-B-portR!

(Forgotten tag: way too long, but needed to occasionally stretch across the room without unplugging anything, so coiled up at all other times.)
Last edited by Soupspoon on Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

MDS_Dan

Postby MDS_Dan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:38 pm UTC

I have one that switches between carrying power but not data to carrying data but not power at random intervals
Also, I'm "Charges Slowly"

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:43 pm UTC

Reka wrote:This also applies to the various iterations of iPad/iPhone cables. And it's getting increasingly difficult to find the old-style iPad cables, i.e. pre-Lightning connector. (Yes, I have an iPad 2. Yes, it's no longer being updated. Yes, it still works. No, I'm not getting a new one.)
Forgot to tag myself: I'm "too short".

One of the primary reasons I despise Apple is the hideously low-grade accessories they supply with their expensive "state of the art" devices. The cable-fray situation in particular has shown no improvement since the Iphone 3G and yet I recall they charge over $20 for a replacement. No thanks, the 5$ knock-off charger might burn my house down, but just the cable supplied with it is actually worth that sort of money.
Speaking of that, this comic is missing the Proprietary cable you will inevitably lose.
I'm "charges phone slowly"
"It's like he's his own alt account. Saves all the logging in and out."/poxic
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:04 pm UTC

HES wrote:Most of mine fall out the phone too easily (Wileyfox Swift, the port is recessed just a little too much). And the one that stays in the phone securely falls out at the other end, because it's one of those silly "stylish" USB-A's that doesn't have the outer bit.

One of the most embarrassing incidents of my recent professional career was when I spent an hour or so trying to identify the connector that had come with some bit of kit. It was supposed to be USB, but they'd obviously supplied the wrong thing, or there had been two cables in the box originally and the USB one was missing. Turns out yes, it was one of those. :oops:
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:10 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:Speaking of that, this comic is missing the Proprietary cable you will inevitably lose.

That one has already been lost.

I carry power but not data.

tms

Postby tms » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:32 pm UTC

I have gotten from my cables what I wanted. Granted, that isn't everyday use. That makes me an outlaw, then.

"The good ones"
- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:39 pm UTC

This pretty accurately describes our house too - somewhere around 10-15 different cables lying around a couple of "charging station" places in our house. Somewhere between 0 and 2 at a given station actually work (depending in part on the device you are trying to use with it). We don't care about data cables because bluetooth/wifi for wireless connections with the computer.
We'd recently accumulated a handful of them over the last several months due to this one no longer working so we go to the (carrier) store and get a new one (which despite costing way to many $s only lasted a couple weeks before deciding it wasn't The One True Cable. (seriously considering getting the $10 wireless charging sticker and a couple wireless charging pads)

I'm "Carries Data but not power" which is really obnoxious because he's really heavy and I don't have the right connectors to charge him.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:39 pm UTC

I was expecting the cables to increase in absurdity as we go down the list, because that's how XKCD lists work. It was a trap!

I don't get the alt text, though.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:56 pm UTC

There are a few Mini-B USB-connected devices left in the house, but most of the cables have slowly desintegrated or have a <200mA adapter on one end, so it's always a fight for which device gets to live. Well, it's not that bad, since most of them go on for weeks after recharging, but my beaglebone needs a constant supply (with or without a data connection) to survive.

Envelope Generator wrote:I don't get the alt text, though.

I believe it's a 'thing people do' nowadays when presenting lists of things: ask others with which of the entries they identify most.
I'm "carries data but no power".

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:00 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
Envelope Generator wrote:I don't get the alt text, though.

I believe it's a 'thing people do' nowadays when presenting lists of things: ask others with which of the entries they identify most.

Thanks. I'm grody to the max out of touch with the hip kids.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:13 pm UTC

Missed:
The white one: Constantly mistaken for iPhone cable.
Edit (of course)
The one that actually is a black iPhone cable.
Last edited by cryptoengineer on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mogster

Postby Mogster » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:43 pm UTC

I'm sorry Dave, I'm frayed I can't do that.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:54 pm UTC

Can I be several?

I carry data but no power, I charge slowly and won't auto-activate, I have annoying lumps and a weird shape because I'm heavy and not very flexible, I'm extremely frayed from trying to overcome all of the above, which I guess is why I need to be twisted to keep working.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

iabervon

Postby iabervon » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:20 pm UTC

I read this comic at work (compiling). Then I thought about which one I am. Then I noticed that I was stretching my shoulder without thinking about it before fixing the next test failure. Observation demonstrates that I'm "Needs to be twisted to keep working."

MrT2

Postby MrT2 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:36 pm UTC

I have a USB charger lead for my old PSP (Playstation Portable) that is the only one that can fit my specific PSP, it charges via a fairly standard looking circular DC port, but the contacts in the port have moved a bit, and the plastic insulator in the plug is recessed when it should stick out from the end about 1mm, so the pairing works, but I can't use the mains charger as that has an undamaged plug.

typo

Postby typo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:38 am UTC

My phone only charges if the cord is bent up. My tablet only charges if the cord is bent down, and then sometimes it claims to be charging, and shows charging on the battery history graph, but turns out not to have been actually charging. Very annoying.

I also have a Palm sync/charge cable, but I no longer know where the Palm is.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:11 am UTC

My phone only charges when the AC prongs are jiggled just right. (They used to fold, now they flop).

My Palm only charges when... well... when it feels like it. Yes, it indicates it's charging, but it can be "charging" all day and not take a charge. But then sometimes it does. I've tried taking it apart, unplugging the battery and plugging it back in; sometimes that works (it seems more like a religious ritual to me). But lately even that sacrament has no effect. But sometimes it just charges the normal way.

And yes, I still use a Palm; maybe this belongs in the Obsolete Tech thread.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Wee Red Bird

Postby Wee Red Bird » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:04 am UTC

Power without data is helpful when charging at work (some places check for plugged in USB devices and complain when you do) or when charging off an unknown source (eg a friend's PC that could be virus ridden, or a USB charging port at an airport that could be set up to do something nasty to your phone).

Heavy and not very flexible. I need to get down to the gym more often.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:22 am UTC

ucim wrote:My phone only charges when the AC prongs are jiggled just right. (They used to fold, now they flop).

My Palm only charges when... well... when it feels like it. Yes, it indicates it's charging, but it can be "charging" all day and not take a charge. But then sometimes it does. I've tried taking it apart, unplugging the battery and plugging it back in; sometimes that works (it seems more like a religious ritual to me). But lately even that sacrament has no effect. But sometimes it just charges the normal way.

And yes, I still use a Palm; maybe this belongs in the Obsolete Tech thread.

Jose

Connected to an MS-DOS PC, presumably? Don't worry, it's still probably as good as anything. Calendar synchronisation remains one of the hardest problems in computer science; synchronising recurring appointments is generally believed to be impossible. There are whole journals devoted to the Third Thursday Problem.

At least they're all USB cables. Come 2019, my compatriots and I can look forward to returning to the days when we had drawers full of incompatible power adapters and data cables. Yay Brexit.

herbstschweigen

Postby herbstschweigen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:31 am UTC

I can't relate to this. 90% of My USB cables are Good Ones. Even if they fall in the other categories, they are still good for some purpose. The short one is just perfect for attaching the external hdd that resides right behind my laptop. And the only frayed one I have is that of my headset, but it still works, and of course it's not a USB connector cable in the strict sense.

orthogon wrote: Come 2019, my compatriots and I can look forward to returning to the days when we had drawers full of incompatible power adapters and data cables. Yay Brexit.

Oh come on, we EUians always have to use power adapters when visiting your island. USB OTOH is not an EU standard.

HES

Postby HES » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:52 am UTC

herbstschweigen wrote:USB OTOH is not an EU standard.

Micro USB as the standardised phone charger, is.
He/Him/His Image

Wee Red Bird

Postby Wee Red Bird » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:55 am UTC

HES wrote:

It's USB C now. Unless you are an Apple.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:14 am UTC

The last phone (dumbphone) that I bought, to replace one lost (dropped, not stolen, though apparently still used by someone else before I actually got the replacement's SIM attached to the old number) I was asked if I had the charger for it already. I had chargers for several old phones, including one of that brand (earlier model) but was confused over what to answer because they were all different standards, so which (old/new/revamped) standard of connector was this?

Turned out that it was microUSB (which I did have charger(s) and cable(s) for, for tablets and things), but this was the very first time I'd ever seen this plug used to charge an actual phone of mine, just a few months ago now. And then you're telling me that the next time I replace my phone (at the current rate, another decade hence!) that I'll have some phone-shop assistant barely out of nappies stare at me vacantly when I try to establish a rapport between their "aint it always been that way?" attitude and my own rather more world-weary perspective where I'm probably trying to work out why I'm being asked if I want my phone to actually have the optional keypad on it (at extra cost!), or something else of similar mksexpectation beyond the ken of my increasingly old-fashined stance...

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:15 am UTC

herbstschweigen wrote:
orthogon wrote: Come 2019, my compatriots and I can look forward to returning to the days when we had drawers full of incompatible power adapters and data cables. Yay Brexit.

Oh come on, we EUians always have to use power adapters when visiting your island. USB OTOH is not an EU standard.

Sorry, I meant power supplies/chargers rather than mains adapters. On the latter issue, the EU has been trying to standardise mains power plugs and sockets too, but of course that's a lot more difficult because of the billions of Euros of installed infrastructure and the decades-long churn times for fixed wiring. There are also other issues, particularly relating to fusing and cable ratings, that mean that it's even more than "just" replacing all the sockets.

Anyway, as HES identified, my main point was that the standardisation on USB is one of many, many excellent answers to the question "what did the EU ever do for us?".

ETA: @Soupspoon: despite the change to USB-C, existing chargers will still work, it's just that you need a different cable. So the amount of electrical waste and the inconvenience of needing multiple chargers is reduced. The device might not charge as fast, though.

fluffysheap

Postby fluffysheap » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:57 am UTC

Plug doesn't fit through case. But they always tell me I just haven't met the right person yet.

chrisjwmartin

Postby chrisjwmartin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:56 pm UTC

I'm "carries data but not power".

herbstschweigen

Postby herbstschweigen » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:33 am UTC

HES wrote:

Oh, I wasn't aware of this. But do they still use proprietary chargers in other places of the world? Or has it become a de-facto worldwide standard now?

BTW I don't understand the "plug don't fit through case" one. What case?

And as I forgot it, I'm "too short". Sometimes also "carry data but not power."

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:12 am UTC

Another missing one: "Works on one of two identical devices, but not the other."
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:54 pm UTC

commodorejohn wrote:Another missing one: "Works on one of two identical devices, but not the other."

That's clearly because you have two Fermionic devices. If they were Bos[e]ons, you'd be all set.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:52 pm UTC

herbstschweigen wrote:BTW I don't understand the "plug don't fit through case" one. What case?

This would be when you have a hard (or soft) case around your phone, and the hole in the case left for the charge cable is not large enough to let the connector fully plug into the phone. I've found this is the case for some of my older cords which have a beefier plastic part around the actual micro USB connector.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:39 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:I believe it's a 'thing people do' nowadays when presenting lists of things: ask others with which of the entries they identify most.

And like most "things people do" nowadays, it almost immediately devolved into self-parody in a way that's not immediately obvious to outsiders and has led to people doing it way more often than when they were serious, because people who think it's funny also think it's funny enough to do 24/7. See also: spirit animals, posting "A E S T H E T I C" or "T H I C C" in response to pretty much everything, deep fried memes, etc.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Eternal Density

Re: 1892: "Why is everyone misspelling 'thick' and what do they mean by it???"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:31 am UTC

Yeah I own half or so of these. Including multiple 'need to wiggle and hold for it to work' cables, a couple held together by tape in different ways, and a bonus 'still in the packet for when the good one dies'.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

XavierKCD

Postby XavierKCD » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:05 am UTC

I'm 'Carry Power But Not Data' x10 bought cheaply from ebay. Because the 10 combined will outlast the official one.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”