1890: "What to Bring"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

MrT2

Re: 1890: "What to Bring"

Postby MrT2 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:32 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:If one person has a knife and another a gun, presumably whether it's a gun fight or a knife fight is a question of the range of the encounter?

Unless you're a pro target shooter, effective handgun range is not that far off knife throwing range, see Starship Troopers.

Scilly_Guy

Postby Scilly_Guy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:13 am UTC

Am I the only one who immediately thought of a hurricane column and an umbrella row, both of which are all red. Perhaps its too soon?

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:55 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:Waiting impatiently for the artists out there to add row/column entries for

-- light saber
-- velociraptor
-- sharks with frickin lasers

-- an Australian, for whom you should bring XXXX.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

fluffysheap

Postby fluffysheap » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:43 pm UTC

richP wrote:It's not like you get to review a fighter's resume before a bar fight (or get a cut scene showing his strengths/weaknesses before the battle).

Wouldn't any knife fight end up being a cut scene?

clockworkbookreader

Postby clockworkbookreader » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:43 pm UTC

Was anyone else disconcerted by the use of color?

My first thought was "Whoa! Randall's getting all wild and crazy with palette choices here!"
In the event of pneumothorax, stab me with an 18g angiocath just above the second rib in the midclavicular line.
Thank you.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:40 pm UTC

azule wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Image

I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

The now-nameless OP wrote:Just wanted to say the images were cute. And, the lid could act as a shield at a knife fight. So, change that to green, please.

Why am I nameless and why am I not OP anymore? I guess I'm not wanted here. :x
Making myself the OP has been my standard response to people not following the instructions for starting new comic threads, ever since I made that stickied post five months ago.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:30 pm UTC

MrT2 wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:If one person has a knife and another a gun, presumably whether it's a gun fight or a knife fight is a question of the range of the encounter?

Unless you're a pro target shooter, effective handgun range is not that far off knife throwing range, see Starship Troopers.

Most people can carry more bullets than knives...

And, unless you're a pro, throwing a knife effectively is a lot harder than firing a gun effectively.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:21 pm UTC

He did mention Starship Troopers in the same sentence. (unfortunately I remember very little of that film(s), so I can't tell whether it's a reference or a general sentiment)

clockworkbookreader wrote:Was anyone else disconcerted by the use of color?

I wasn't, really. We've seen colours before, like in most poster-format comics or more recently the state word map.
I'd be disconcerted if it hadn't had squiggly lines and stick figures.

ericgrau

Postby ericgrau » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:26 pm UTC

MDS_Dan wrote:See, it's never specified how much water you can bring. If you bring enough water, you win every time

The same is true if you bring enough gun.

https://dcassetcdn.com/w1k/submissions/557500/557524_8e86.jpg

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:54 pm UTC

ericgrau wrote:
MDS_Dan wrote:See, it's never specified how much water you can bring. If you bring enough water, you win every time

???
The ocean would destroy the ship long before the ship destroyed the ocean.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:55 pm UTC

As anyone who's played PUBG should know, it's a pan you want to bring to a gun fight, not a lid.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:35 am UTC

ericgrau wrote:

Damn, that's one BFG.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:56 am UTC

The Scorpions sang: "If someone wants to cut you down to size, you never argue with a loaded .45," but you can if you're half a mile away with a loaded .338 LM, can't you? Likewise, "You can't argue with a shotgun" applies even to the guy with the pistol but not to the one in an APC with a belt-fed turret-gun. A 4-inch naval gun beats any of them (seriously, a 4.0 calibre!) but you wouldn't want to use it here. That one's a job for a friend with a shotgun off to your right: 12-bore #4 buckshot and aim for his thumb.

What if the fight is over water?

Not the Battle of Midway. I mean two villages / extended families fighting over access to a 1 l/min trickle of water. If your style of "bringing water to" a fight is to build a 10 l/s water main out to them, I could call that the ultimate weapon: both sides stopped fighting, both sides now love you, zero casualties. It's like getting everyone as allies with "locked teams" off and "allied victory" on then building a Wonder of the World in Age of Conquerors: everyone wins!

My brother would disagree. He doesn't call that a win, because if you do that you haven't beaten anyone. We have different approaches to games, he and I. I tried to get "Bridge over trebled water" for one player at a time and found out it's all or none so tried again and again until we got the whole group onto the chopper in time. He got it by running ahead, sniping his team-mates and leaving all alone. His one complaint about Kerbal Space Program was that it wouldn't let him invade new players' game worlds and blow up their space centres. He is not named in my will.

Another missing line and column: pillow, pillow-fight. I'd quite like to bring Kat from Sequential Art to a pillow-fight ...

... or a garden party ... or an open-air opera ... or a friend's wedding ... or a ski resort ...

Should you bring skis to a knife fight? They're not really meant for fighting but they've got reach.

Don't bring a bouquet of flowers to a gunfight.

Bringing the BFG to a ski resort: also not recommended.

peregrine_crow

Postby peregrine_crow » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:49 am UTC

karhell wrote:
herbstschweigen wrote:Sploshing water on your opponent in a knife/gun fight might at least irritate or distract them for a precious second and give you the opportunity to run away. So maybe not green but yellow on those two.

You could also swing the full bucket and use that as a weapon. Might even be more efficient. Just staying away from the blade/bullets while doing so could be a little difficult.

And nobody said the water had to be in a liquid state.

In that case I guess there is also no requirement for the lid to be in a solid state. Splashing liquid steel on someone should pretty effectively put them out of the fight :P
Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:47 pm UTC

peregrine_crow wrote:
karhell wrote:
herbstschweigen wrote:Sploshing water on your opponent in a knife/gun fight might at least irritate or distract them for a precious second and give you the opportunity to run away. So maybe not green but yellow on those two.

You could also swing the full bucket and use that as a weapon. Might even be more efficient. Just staying away from the blade/bullets while doing so could be a little difficult.

And nobody said the water had to be in a liquid state.

In that case I guess there is also no requirement for the lid to be in a solid state. Splashing liquid steel on someone should pretty effectively put them out of the fight :P

I don't think it would be a lid, in form, function or any other reasonable understanding of the word.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:58 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:What if the fight is over water?

Not the Battle of Midway. I mean two villages / extended families fighting over access to a 1 l/min trickle of water. If your style of "bringing water to" a fight is to build a 10 l/s water main out to them, I could call that the ultimate weapon: both sides stopped fighting, both sides now love you, zero casualties. It's like getting everyone as allies with "locked teams" off and "allied victory" on then building a Wonder of the World in Age of Conquerors: everyone wins!

I suspect one of the reasons that Egypt made peace with Israel was the construction of the Aswan High Dam. Once that filled with water, Egypt could be simply destroyed with by busting the dam, with far more devastation than any nuke could provide (Egypt is basically Nile flood plain and desert). In the Old Religion, souls had to swear they "had never dammed the Nile" before anyone would bother to judge them: the dangers to Egypt have been obvious forever (although I suspect the idea was based around hording the gods' gift all yourself).

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:16 pm UTC

I think the lid is just too small for the wood fire. A lid that's larger than the wood fire should work.

I think in all cases the thing to bring is a freeze gun.

The water's temperature is also not specified, just below boiling seems good for a knife fight.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:13 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
azule wrote:

I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

The now-nameless OP wrote:Just wanted to say the images were cute. And, the lid could act as a shield at a knife fight. So, change that to green, please.

Making myself the OP has been my standard response to people not following the instructions for starting new comic threads, ever since I made that stickied post five months ago.

It looks the same as what I did, but okay, passive aggressive action ftw. You could make them all from now on. Win-win.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:41 pm UTC

azule wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
azule wrote:

It looks the same as what I did, but okay, passive aggressive action ftw. You could make them all from now on. Win-win.
You didn't link to the comic. It's not a difficult thing to do, and the title of the stickied post specifically mentions the link so you wouldn't have even had to click and read the thread to know you should include that.

But fine, take your ball and go home and pretend it's my fault you were supposed to follow the rules to start a new thread.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 pm UTC

What happens if you bring an oil fire to a water fight?

HES

Postby HES » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:50 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:What happens if you bring an oil fire to a water fight?

You win.
He/Him/His Image

svenman

Postby svenman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:54 am UTC

HES wrote:
Sableagle wrote:What happens if you bring an oil fire to a water fight?

You win.

You'll win the fight, maybe, but you'll lose your playmates - their parents are going to see to that even if they aren't too badly injured...
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

strake

Postby strake » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:32 pm UTC

It would be effective to bring water to a gun fight if they are using black powder.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:52 pm UTC

strake wrote:It would be effective to bring water to a gun fight if they are using black powder.

One shot with an inaccurate weapon at melee range is likely to miss, anyway.

Either way, "bring water to a black-powder gunfight" reduces to a knife fight. Or maybe a "bucket, used as club" vs. "pistol, used as club" fight.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:39 am UTC

My A-level chemistry teacher demonstrated the effect of water on an oil fire in the school lab once. Apparently the lab was going to be redecorated or rebuilt or something. He had a really long set of tongs with which he held a small test tube full of water. The resulting flame was spectacular and blackened the ceiling. That was circa 1990. I very much doubt he could have done that these days and kept his job, but perhaps education isn't quite as joyless now as I've been led to believe?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:09 am UTC

orthogon wrote:My A-level chemistry teacher demonstrated the effect of water on an oil fire in the school lab once. Apparently the lab was going to be redecorated or rebuilt or something. He had a really long set of tongs with which he held a small test tube full of water. The resulting flame was spectacular and blackened the ceiling. That was circa 1990. I very much doubt he could have done that these days and kept his job, but perhaps education isn't quite as joyless now as I've been led to believe?

You need a risk assessment to have been done, but, provided the paperwork's in order, he'd have been fine.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:23 pm UTC

I note that there is neither row nor column for "a rampaging horde of European badgers." Is this omission intentional?

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:53 pm UTC

It is if, I suspect, Randall is in the pay of Big Badger. There's very little evidence for the Deep Sett, I know, but only because the Deep Sett controls the media, and why not go so far as to knobble xkcd, amongst others1, making it appear as if a problem that very few people even know about isn't a problem at all!

1 Has Dilbert addressed the issue? Was there ever any mention in the works of Charles Schultz? Are those really supposed to be cows in Gary Larson's output? That there's no signs of all the badgers you should see is all but proof of the influence of the Badguminati, if only you'd realise The Truth!

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:54 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:I note that there is neither row nor column for "a rampaging horde of European badgers." Is this omission intentional?

Have you ever tried to assemble a horde of European badgers, let alone get them to rampage? If you had, you might appreciate the reason of their omission.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:42 am UTC

It was going quite well until I ran out of peanut butter sandwiches.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:44 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:It was going quite well until I ran out of peanut butter sandwiches.
Don't panic, just reach for the stars, and use the teeter-totter to launch your smaller friend at the ones highest up.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”