1886: Typing Notifications

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SunAvatar

1886: Typing Notifications

Postby SunAvatar » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:55 pm UTC

(Title text: "Over the years I've decided I'd rather have them on than not, but I'm glad there aren't 'has opened a blank note to compose a reply to you' notifications.")

I've done this.
Public key fingerprint: 73B6 8566 BFBC 8D95

sfmans

Re: 1886: Typing Notifications

Postby sfmans » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:02 pm UTC

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:13 pm UTC

....... - - - - -

I'm on the verge of creating a competitor to BrainFuck
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Draco18s

Postby Draco18s » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:22 pm UTC

The typing notification could be worse.

Remember that collective document editing thing Google did for a while where you saw every keystroke other users made? They were talking about using that technology as a messaging app: you could see what people were typing as a reply as they typed it.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:25 pm UTC

Off and on, I check in with my facebook or quora account to see if any friends or acquaintances have said anything interesting, fun, or even relevant to me. When I decide it's time to move on, and try to close the window, it often tells me that I have an incomplete reply, and do I want to delete it? Invariably, I don't remember starting any reply (that I haven't immediately sent), so I scan backward to try to spot it. Usually I can't. I'm guessing that I accidentally brushed against some key (or the touchpad) and that got interpreted as a request to reply to something, but It's hard to verify that.

There seem to be no tools to say "Show me my incomplete input widgets", or if there are, I can't find any clues for finding them. It seems likely that lots of people have one of those "..." someone-is-typing-a-reply thingies on their screen, and as long as I leave my window open, they'll never see a reply. This strikes me as a somewhat user-hostile part of such user interfaces, but what can I do about it?

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:03 pm UTC

SunAvatar wrote:but I'm glad there aren't 'has opened a blank note to compose a reply to you' notifications.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that from time to time...
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:08 pm UTC

This is assuming I've even opened the app to trigger the 'seen' notification.
He/Him/His Image

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:15 pm UTC

jc wrote:Off and on, I check in with my facebook or quora account to see if any friends or acquaintances have said anything interesting, fun, or even relevant to me. When I decide it's time to move on, and try to close the window, it often tells me that I have an incomplete reply, and do I want to delete it? Invariably, I don't remember starting any reply (that I haven't immediately sent), so I scan backward to try to spot it. Usually I can't. I'm guessing that I accidentally brushed against some key (or the touchpad) and that got interpreted as a request to reply to something, but It's hard to verify that.

What happens in FaceBook is: us software-savvy folk terminate a comment with a carriage return (aka "Enter" key). FaceBook helpfully responds by placing focus into a new "comment" field, which of course we didn't want and didn't notice. But because the cursor is there, FB thinks you didn't finish the comment.
Hit <ESC> now and then to fix this.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:55 pm UTC

Draco18s wrote:The typing notification could be worse.

Remember that collective document editing thing Google did for a while where you saw every keystroke other users made? They were talking about using that technology as a messaging app: you could see what people were typing as a reply as they typed it.

Wow, such innovation..!

(Wanted to link to wikipedia, but they were down for at least the first several minutes I tried to get there. Back now.)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:01 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:[
What happens in FaceBook is: us software-savvy folk terminate a comment with a carriage return (aka "Enter" key). FaceBook helpfully responds by placing focus into a new "comment" field, which of course we didn't want and didn't notice. But because the cursor is there, FB thinks you didn't finish the comment.
Hit <ESC> now and then to fix this.

Amazing: who would have guessed that there's a practice that works well in both Facebook and vi?!
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Boppre

Postby Boppre » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:43 pm UTC

I'm glad there aren't 'has opened a blank note to compose a reply to you' notifications.

Pidgin has a "psychic" mode that does exactly this (see https://www.howtogeek.com/102919/5-tips-and-tricks-for-pidgin-users/).

It actually opens the chat window, so if you are quick you can send a message before the other person. Naturally this depends on the underlying protocol, but I remember it working for MSN messenger.

hjordis

Postby hjordis » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:06 am UTC

You can still do that.
It's a terrifying thought, though, to have that on a messenger. *shudders* We'd have to train ourselves to pre-censor stuff the way we do when we're talking. Many friendships would die in the process.

TooTea

Postby TooTea » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:14 am UTC

Draco18s wrote:Remember that collective document editing thing Google did for a while where you saw every keystroke other users made? They were talking about using that technology as a messaging app: you could see what people were typing as a reply as they typed it.

There's more. You know these "chat online with our support" systems? It's a standard feature there! (At least I guess so, I worked with two such CRM/support platforms and both had it.) Always makes me nervous when I'm using these forms.

Devil N

Postby Devil N » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:00 am UTC

I've had colleagues who were like that on Skype/Slack/whatever for regular work discussions. After five minutes of watching ellipses appear and disappear you'd be like COME ON MAN, SPIT IT OUT!!

And then finally you'd receive about eight finely crafted words comprising a highly condensed summary of carefully considered thoughts. Which mean absolutely nothing to you since you didn't get to follow the thought process.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:18 am UTC

Devil N wrote:And then finally you'd receive about eight finely crafted words comprising a highly condensed summary of carefully considered thoughts. Which mean absolutely nothing to you since you didn't get to follow the thought process.

Guilty. I did say all I wanted to.

pernishus

Postby pernishus » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:02 pm UTC

This comic messes with my eyes, I keep seeing gray dots appear by the internal corners of the frames. Anyone else get that effect?

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:45 pm UTC

"Have you seen an optician?"
"No, only grey dots!"

(I've currently got an after-image of some recent bright-light, for various reasons, but I'm sure that I also saw the effect concerned when previously unsullied.)

Raidri

Postby Raidri » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:46 pm UTC

Sounds like Grid Illusion. And yes, I see it also.

Edit: ... ninja'd ...

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:10 pm UTC

Those who are old enough (and worked in the right places) will know that the old, old, old Unix talk(1) app worked that way. This often led to folks whose typing speed or accuracy was slightly below the company average becoming targets of teasing and mockery in the break room.

Can't say I miss it, even though I wasn't a target.
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”