1871: "Bun Alert"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pogrmman

Re: 1871: "Bun Alert"

Postby pogrmman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:29 am UTC

trpmb6 wrote:
DanD wrote:
My parents live in (barely) Suburban Washington DC, as in MD within walking distance of the DC line. Their house is in a post WWII development, decent but not huge yards. They routinely have deer migrating through, or even living in for periods in their back yard. In addition, Rock Creek Park, which goes directly into the city, has had to institute a culling of deer, because, with the lack of predators, they are outproducing their food sources. (The meat from healthy animals goes to the homeless shelters in the city). Urban wildlife is definitely a thing these days, and it's not limited to smaller animals.

Many municipalities across the US that have outlawed hunting (either completely or restricting in some form) now find themselves with overpopulation issues. I know of several farms in St. Louis county in Missouri that are along the flood plains of the missouri river that get ravaged by huge deer populations. (In fact, when they have massive floods in that area they stome times have to close the highways due to mass migration of the deer herd). We used to bow hunt on some of those farms but I've since moved and have recently heard they may not even allow bow hunting at this point. You could literally go out there at dusk and lose count of how many deer there were. No wonder the number of deer involved car accidents has risen sharply in recent years.

This is the issue with my neighborhood. I believe that hunting deer here is illegal, and we have tons of them. Their only "predator" is the suburban mom's SUV. I feel bad because you can sometimes see their ribs because they don't get enough to eat. It's a bit better now that we've had a couple years of above normal rainfall, but back during the drought, I don't even know how they lived. There are loads of these scrawny deer that eat basically everything that isn't fenced off. Ironically, they ignore most of the plants in the suburban woodland between the houses.

We do have a pack of coyotes that comes through every so often, but I don't think they can kill deer that aren't fawns.

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:51 pm UTC

pogrmman wrote:
This is the issue with my neighborhood. I believe that hunting deer here is illegal, and we have tons of them. Their only "predator" is the suburban mom's SUV. I feel bad because you can sometimes see their ribs because they don't get enough to eat. It's a bit better now that we've had a couple years of above normal rainfall, but back during the drought, I don't even know how they lived. There are loads of these scrawny deer that eat basically everything that isn't fenced off. Ironically, they ignore most of the plants in the suburban woodland between the houses.

We do have a pack of coyotes that comes through every so often, but I don't think they can kill deer that aren't fawns.

A discussion on deer herds:
Spoiler:
And unfortunately good rainfall only leads to an overabundance of fawns the following year. As soon as you return to normal levels those fawns (which have now grown into adults) will find themselves with a scarcity of food even more so. These areas think they're helping the deer by outlawing hunting, but really they're just hurting htem. (I feel I should mention that hunting in a suburban setting is quite difficult to do. Clearly you can't allow high powered rifles due to the distance the round can travel, but until recently you would find most counties would allow bow hunting.) In some instances you can get "destroy tags" in which the state's conservation department comes in to make a determination that the deer herd is at such a high level that it hurts other species. Sometimes they'll give destroy tags to farms, particularly tree farms, where the deer herd is so large they are causing a severe amount of monetary damage to the crop (where they set the bar on exactly what constitutes 'severe' is above me).

I just looked up some numbers yesterday because of another discussion i was having on Facebook. Missouri has a deer herd right now of about 1.4 million deer. Each year about 250,000 of those deer are harvested. Right now the herd is stable and maintaining at about 1.4 million. (Note, that the hunter numbers are in addition to natural death and other predators taking deer.) The issue however, is that the amount of habitat available to the deer herd is shrinking. More and more Deer taking up less and less space means the existing habitats need to be able to support the numbers. Fortunately, at least for now, the available habitat appears to be able to support this herd population. This is evidenced by the fact the numbers remain stable (amount of deer harvested by humans is fairly consistent at 250k and the herd population is stable at 1.4 million).

tl;dr: My youngest sun got this book in the mail yesterday, he was quite excited about it. Just one of the many reasons americans call rabbits "bunnies"

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:10 pm UTC

trpmb6 wrote:...those fawns (which have now grown into adults) will find themselves with a scarcity of food even more so. These areas think they're helping the deer by outlawing hunting, but really they're just hurting them...
Doesn't this also apply to humans? More and more people vying for dwindling resources leading to massive ecosystem damage and future starvation? Isn't this arguably what's happening in the world? Maybe we should hunt people?

Perhaps the AI Overlords will come to that conclusion for us.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:17 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Doesn't this also apply to humans? More and more people vying for dwindling resources leading to massive ecosystem damage and future starvation? Isn't this arguably what's happening in the world? Maybe we should hunt people?

Perhaps the AI Overlords will come to that conclusion for us.

Jose

It is a most dangerous game. Perhaps THE most dangerous game.

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:23 pm UTC

DanD

Postby DanD » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:13 pm UTC

trpmb6 wrote:
DanD wrote:
My parents live in (barely) Suburban Washington DC, as in MD within walking distance of the DC line. Their house is in a post WWII development, decent but not huge yards. They routinely have deer migrating through, or even living in for periods in their back yard. In addition, Rock Creek Park, which goes directly into the city, has had to institute a culling of deer, because, with the lack of predators, they are outproducing their food sources. (The meat from healthy animals goes to the homeless shelters in the city). Urban wildlife is definitely a thing these days, and it's not limited to smaller animals.

Many municipalities across the US that have outlawed hunting (either completely or restricting in some form) now find themselves with overpopulation issues. I know of several farms in St. Louis county in Missouri that are along the flood plains of the missouri river that get ravaged by huge deer populations. (In fact, when they have massive floods in that area they stome times have to close the highways due to mass migration of the deer herd). We used to bow hunt on some of those farms but I've since moved and have recently heard they may not even allow bow hunting at this point. You could literally go out there at dusk and lose count of how many deer there were. No wonder the number of deer involved car accidents has risen sharply in recent years.

Unfortunately, any sort of hunting in my parents area is risky at best. The houses are way to close together for firearms, and even bows would be iffy. Besides, a less than perfect shot would be almost impossible to track, since you'd have to tramp through dozens if not hundreds of fenced yards.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:52 pm UTC

DanD wrote:any sort of hunting in my parents area is risky at best. The houses are way to close together for firearms, and even bows would be iffy.

Maybe I've been watching too many old B western movies, but trying to think of another weapon you might use had me thinking of this:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”