1848: "Glacial Erratic"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

svenman

1848: "Glacial Erratic"

Postby svenman » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:46 am UTC

Title text: "This will take a while, which sucks, because I'm already so busy chiseling out igneous intrusions from rock formations and watching Youtube loops of the Superman fault-sealing scene over and over."

Bet she's secretly dreaming of rearranging the continents back the way they were before continental drift messed them up. And straightening out all those folded strata again.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

rhomboidal

Re: 1848: "Glacial Erratic"

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:06 am UTC

Great. Like global warming isn't already bad enough without Glacier Hate.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:25 am UTC

Is she suffering fro Pangaea Nervosa?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:11 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:Great. Like global warming isn't already bad enough without Glacier Hate.

That was my first thought: the gal is a Trumpist? (shudder)
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

DanAxtell

Postby DanAxtell » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:22 am UTC

If you can't move a glacial erratic, then it needs a name:

http://www.geologicnow.com/images/chapter14/Figure1.jpg

The above map also shows that the action in this comic must be taking place in the northern part of the continent, because there are no glacial erratics in the south.

DanAxtell

Postby DanAxtell » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:30 pm UTC

OK, I'll suggest "Thomas Becket Boulder," as in "Will no one rid me of this meddlesome erratic?"
(There's a current events angle there.)

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:55 pm UTC

DanAxtell wrote:If you can't move a glacial erratic, then it needs a name:

The above map also shows that the action in this comic must be taking place in the northern part of the continent, because there are no glacial erratics in the south.

You know, other continents do exist.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

DanAxtell

Postby DanAxtell » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:36 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:

You know, other continents do exist.

It's not so much my ethnocentricity as my trite stereotyping. The behavior strikes me as quite American. After all, "Fuck Glaciers" is the official position of the U.S. Government in 2017.

Also, I couldn't find a hemispheric map of glacial erratics, so that is sort of a mitigating factor in my apparent continentalism. It really seems that it's only the U.S. and Canada who get excited enough about glacial erratics to both name them and map them.

I could find nothing about glacial erratics in Southern Hemisphere. So, I hesitated to mention the other northern continents for fear of being labeled hemispherist. In fact, I am a strong anti-hemispherist. I follow that ideal like we all follow the North Star. My guess is that there really are no glacial erratics south of the equator because of the Antarctic Circumpolar Current. Just a guess though.

kalira

Postby kalira » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:12 pm UTC

That map... Just at a glance, there are two #145s, two #136s, two #140s, and two #163s in that cluster around Massachusetts. This makes my eye twitch, since they're all supposed to be unique named boulders. That whole cluster is weird -- missing a bunch, doubling others. The map also seems to be missing several in NY (103-106, 110, 112, and 115), though the latter three are slightly more understandable since they all seem to be clustered around the Bronx with 111, 113, and 114. But why choose those to leave out? The unnumbered one above 114 in that area appears to coincide with 118's named location but is not labeled -- 118 doesn't appear on the map.

Overall, it's a do-over. Dan, plz inform them the internet wants it fixed on the double.
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:35 pm UTC

Oof. So it holds up just until you actually try to read it. Duplicates like the more northerly of the 145s doubtless represent missing items, but beyond "which?", I wonder how many items are just flat wrong.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

lolo7no

Postby lolo7no » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:15 pm UTC

So... anyone knows which Superman scene he's referring to?

Alt Alt Text: "I'm starting a new Youtube channel called Dr Geode Popper, on account of earth's current teenager-like geodermis. Don't you love that moment when it pops?"

MrT2

Postby MrT2 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:28 pm UTC

Just wait until she learns about folded stratigraphy and tries to flatten it out.

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:52 pm UTC

She's angry because the "American Anthropologist" rejected her paper in which she proposed the Rapa Nui used glaciers to move moai from the quarry to their destinations on Easter Island.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:53 pm UTC

lolo7no wrote:So... anyone knows which Superman scene he's referring to?

Alt Alt Text: "I'm starting a new Youtube channel called Dr Geode Popper, on account of earth's current teenager-like geodermis. Don't you love that moment when it pops?"

Probably this one.... minus the screaming goat

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XImPJl_mQOQ
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:43 am UTC

Honestly, though, I can't say the screaming goat isn't an improvement.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

lolo7no

Postby lolo7no » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:21 am UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:Honestly, though, I can't say the screaming goat isn't an improvement.

I agree. Though, I think it's because I am mostly disappointed in the reference.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:49 am UTC

I have this vague perception that the Reeves Superman movies were appreciated on some level, so much so that the franchise was considered something that could be "ruined" by the third and the (truly spectacular, but do see the hour of deleted footage for the full experience) fourth. I ... I genuinely don't understand what it was about this film franchise that reasonable human beings ever thought enjoyable or valuable.

she / her / her

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:39 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:I have this vague perception that the Reeves Superman movies were appreciated on some level, so much so that the franchise was considered something that could be "ruined" by the third and the (truly spectacular, but do see the hour of deleted footage for the full experience) fourth. I ... I genuinely don't understand what it was about this film franchise that reasonable human beings ever thought enjoyable or valuable.

One thing to bear in mind is that this was pre-Crisis - Lex Luthor as a cartoonish villain, Superman as the primary persona, Clark Kent as a mask to give Superman time off, etc.

Another thing is that the effects were, at the time, ground-breaking. If you remember what it was like when The Matrix invented bullet time, or when Avatar brought the latest age of 3D, then that's what Superman The Movie brought to blue-screen wire-work. "You'll believe a man can fly" wasn't just a slogan - it was a revolution in special effects.

What really makes the movie still great today is the performances - Marlon Brando's Jor-El, and Christopher Reeve's Superman (particularly Reeve - there's one scene in Superman II where he changes from Clark Kent to Superman just by standing there - no costume-change, no dialogue; just plain raw acting ability).

And, of course, the basic story is one of those classics that never quite goes out of fashion - heroes and villains and the good guy saves the girl and locks up the bad guys...

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:52 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:Oof. So it holds up just until you actually try to read it. Duplicates like the more northerly of the 145s doubtless represent missing items, but beyond "which?", I wonder how many items are just flat wrong.

If you truncate that map's URL to just http://www.geologicnow.com/ and click on the "About" you'll see this map has been re-purposed for a publication of questionable scientific rigor. I would not expect errors like that on a document produced by the Geological Society of America. Even in 1945. Maybe the numbering/labeling scheme was added later by the non-scientists involved in the writing of Making the Geologic Now?

I took a course in geology at UW, and the term "glacial erratic" was applied to more than just the really big ones that constitute landscape features. Even small pebbles with compositions non-native to the local geology were called "erratics". The big ones had names (like the one on Observatory Hill near the Madison campus), but I never heard of any numbering scheme.

I'm guessing those numbering errors are an artifact of artistic license in the production of that book.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:30 am UTC

Yeah, that'd explain a lot.

rmsgrey wrote:One thing to bear in mind is that this was pre-Crisis - Lex Luthor as a cartoonish villain, Superman as the primary persona, Clark Kent as a mask to give Superman time off, etc.

Another thing is that the effects were, at the time, ground-breaking. If you remember what it was like when The Matrix invented bullet time, or when Avatar brought the latest age of 3D, then that's what Superman The Movie brought to blue-screen wire-work. "You'll believe a man can fly" wasn't just a slogan - it was a revolution in special effects.

What really makes the movie still great today is the performances - Marlon Brando's Jor-El, and Christopher Reeve's Superman (particularly Reeve - there's one scene in Superman II where he changes from Clark Kent to Superman just by standing there - no costume-change, no dialogue; just plain raw acting ability).

Yeah, fair, I wasn't really fully considering the context there. Quite a lot of things changing very fast around that time, both for VFX and for the expectations of fantasy and sci-fi film, and this was clearly a part of that.

she / her / her

reval

Postby reval » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:25 am UTC

You know what glaciers lead to? Deranged drainage, that's what.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:08 pm UTC

DanAxtell wrote:My guess is that there really are no glacial erratics south of the equator
New Zealand would disagree (and is in addition a place where the comic's English conversation might happen).
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

DanAxtell

Postby DanAxtell » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:51 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
DanAxtell wrote:My guess is that there really are no glacial erratics south of the equator
New Zealand would disagree (and is in addition a place where the comic's English conversation might happen).

Thank you for the New Zealand photo of a glacial erratic. I learned something. I'll think of that erratic every time I play the Invercargill March by Alex Lithgow with my summer band. I love that march.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:09 am UTC

DanAxtell wrote:
markfiend wrote:You know, other continents do exist.

It's not so much my ethnocentricity as my trite stereotyping. The behavior strikes me as quite American. After all, "Fuck Glaciers" is the official position of the U.S. Government in 2017.

Also, I couldn't find a hemispheric map of glacial erratics, so that is sort of a mitigating factor in my apparent continentalism. It really seems that it's only the U.S. and Canada who get excited enough about glacial erratics to both name them and map them.

I could find nothing about glacial erratics in Southern Hemisphere. So, I hesitated to mention the other northern continents for fear of being labeled hemispherist. In fact, I am a strong anti-hemispherist. I follow that ideal like we all follow the North Star. My guess is that there really are no glacial erratics south of the equator because of the Antarctic Circumpolar Current. Just a guess though.

OK I apologise for the snark. :mrgreen:
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”