1811: "Best-Tasting Colors"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Durandal_1707

Re: 1811: "Best-Tasting Colors"

Postby Durandal_1707 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:31 am UTC

GlassHouses wrote:
golden.number wrote:Brown is missing Root Beer flavor. Though I understand this tastes like medicine flavor in certain countries, sort of like how cherry flavor equates to medicine flavor in the US.

(European speaking) I disagree. Root beer isn't fit for human consumption at all. I have never had medicine that tasted that bad.

Also, let me add my voice to those who think black licorice is under-appreciated -- although that, too, is probably just an American quirk. In Northern Europe, people totally dig it, and not in a wishy-washy "yang to the yin of red licorice" kind of way either. I'll grant that it's an acquired taste, but it's a taste well worth acquiring. :D

I'm curious what you'd think of Australian root beer. It's not too popular in the US, because it doesn't taste like root beer. It tastes like—guess what!—licorice.

https://www.amazon.com/Bundaberg-Root-B ... +root+beer

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:40 am UTC

Licorice is a common flavoring in a number of root beers, and TBH I didn't find that Bundaberg's tasted especially strongly of it. Actually I found Bundaberg's root beer surprisingly mild and non-flavorful, contra my expectations from some of their other deliciously strong drinks.

And yes, I like black[1] licorice (really more the smell of licorice, or the wild anise around here that smells like it, but the taste is fine too). And I'm a root beer connoisseur.

[1]And I second the earlier comment that "black licorice" is the only kind of licorice; red so-called "licorice" is in fact flavorless nominally-edible wax.

Also on an unrelated note, (cooked) protein is white. Look at tofu, or lean poultry breast, which are both mostly protein and water, and are white in color. Or the innards of beans, which are often white despite the color of the skin.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:09 am UTC

measure wrote:Bottom end:
Artificial banana
Artificial cherry or grape

Artificial banana I kinda like.

Artificial grape is meh.

Artificial cherry... you give it infinitely too much credit. I'd break the forums whole dang Internet if I made this post long enough to put it where it belonged, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay at the bottom.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:39 am UTC

chridd wrote:
azule wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:If it's holy wars... Crisp(/Chip) Packet colour theming, by flavour.

We really don't use the word crisp in America. We'll know by default that you mean chip. That and your -our spelling are clues.
To me (US), this is crisp (although it seems not everyone knows that, and for a while I wondered if maybe it was just my family that used that term).

Well, that's "apple crisp". Also, never a plural. Chips are a common food, apple crisp isn't, for me at least.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:24 am UTC

azule wrote:
chridd wrote:
azule wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:If it's holy wars... Crisp(/Chip) Packet colour theming, by flavour.

We really don't use the word crisp in America. We'll know by default that you mean chip. That and your -our spelling are clues.
To me (US), this is crisp (although it seems not everyone knows that, and for a while I wondered if maybe it was just my family that used that term).

Well, that's "apple crisp". Also, never a plural. Chips are a common food, apple crisp isn't, for me at least.
Only if it's apple, which it often isn't.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · they (for now, at least) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
flicky1991 wrote:In both cases the quote is "I'm being quoted too much!"

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:37 am UTC

Hold the phone... you don't like licorice?

Also I was not able to identify most of those question marks.

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:14 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
GlassHouses wrote:(European speaking) I disagree. Root beer isn't fit for human consumption at all. I have never had medicine that tasted that bad.

How about Dandelion And Burdock..?

I'd never heard of it until now, but the description in Wikipedia is not encouraging. :D
Is this something you can even find outside the UK?

Durandal_1707 wrote:I'm curious what you'd think of Australian root beer. It's not too popular in the US, because it doesn't taste like root beer. It tastes like—guess what!—licorice.

That sounds intriguing, but it's something I'd approach with caution. So far, I've found that licorice is its own thing, and doesn't really go with anything. I've had Thai curry that had a licorice-y flavor, and also canned baked beans, and in both cases I felt that that flavor was completely out of place and made otherwise perfectly fine foods a lot worse.

Durandal_1707

Postby Durandal_1707 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:23 pm UTC

GlassHouses wrote:
Durandal_1707 wrote:I'm curious what you'd think of Australian root beer. It's not too popular in the US, because it doesn't taste like root beer. It tastes like—guess what!—licorice.

That sounds intriguing, but it's something I'd approach with caution. So far, I've found that licorice is its own thing, and doesn't really go with anything. I've had Thai curry that had a licorice-y flavor, and also canned baked beans, and in both cases I felt that that flavor was completely out of place and made otherwise perfectly fine foods a lot worse.

Dude... the reason your Thai curry had a licorice-y flavor is because Thai basil has a licorice-y flavor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_basil

The "problem" with your curry was that it was authentic. This is like getting a fancy French steak and complaining that it doesn't taste like McDonald's. :P

AndrewGPaul

Postby AndrewGPaul » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:20 pm UTC

SDK wrote:
freezeblade wrote:I'm reading this entire chart as having to do with "artificial flavors" of things like hard candy.

Yes, no way popcorn by itself warrants that bad a rating. He must be referring to popcorn-flavoured jelly beans (which, really, shouldn't even be on this scale - look away from your monitor, far to the left... see that little speck on your wall? That is the reference point for popcorn-flavoured jelly beans)

The worst flavour of jelly bean I've ever eaten was tomato. Ugh. I like tomatoes, and tomato ketchup, and baked bean sauce, and tomato soup. But not a tomato-flavoured jelly bean.

purple sweets shouldn't taste of "grape". They should taste of blackcurrant, unless the black ones taste of blackcurrant (which is buch better than them tasting of liquorice; one of the few improvements to sweeties in living memory is replacing the liquorice ones in Midget Gems with blackcurrant).

orange, yellow (lemon) and green (lime) are much of a muchness. Followed by red (strawberry) and then purple, if we're talking about Skittles or Starburst. With Smarties, Orange > all the rest, because they're orange-flavoured and the rest just taste of chocolate.
Last edited by AndrewGPaul on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewGPaul

Postby AndrewGPaul » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:23 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:I am also offended by liquorice being so low. Even more than I am by the spelling "licorice".

I was told at a young age that liquorice is made from rats' blood and that eating too much will turn you into a rat. I've never had reason to doubt that advice. :)

On the other hand, my mum used to buy Liquorice Allsorts because as she was the only one in the household who liked them, she was assured no one else would have eaten them.

Marmite is also brown (except when it's gold. Off-topic for talking about sweets? Not so much.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:49 pm UTC

AndrewGPaul wrote:purple sweets shouldn't taste of "grape". They should taste of blackcurrant, unless the black ones taste of blackcurrant (which is buch better than them tasting of liquorice; one of the few improvements to sweeties in living memory is replacing the liquorice ones in Midget Gems with blackcurrant).

Here's where the America-centric-ness of the comic comes out. We don't do blackcurrent things, and you can blame that on the timber industry, which had blackcurrents banned from being grown or harvested in the US until very recently, due to them being a carrier for a disease that affects White Pine.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:53 pm UTC

I like most of the foods deprecated in the chart, too, but my daughter's preferences/revulsions match Randall's pretty well.

She's a supertaster, and I'm not.

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:14 am UTC

Durandal_1707 wrote:
GlassHouses wrote:

Dude... the reason your Thai curry had a licorice-y flavor is because Thai basil has a licorice-y flavor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_basil

The "problem" with your curry was that it was authentic. This is like getting a fancy French steak and complaining that it doesn't taste like McDonald's. :P

Maybe so, but until I actually visit Thailand, there's no way for me to be sure...

I have eaten Thai food lots of times, in about half a dozen different restaurants, all in the New York metro area and points beyond in New Jersey, and that licorice-y disappointment happened only that one time. I have had gaeng daeng countless times, and it has always been delicious and without any licorice-y overtones. :-)

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:44 am UTC

Perhaps it's the same as Chinese restaurants in the Netherlands: no matter which one you visit, they offer dutchified Indo-Chinese food under the guise of Chinese food. (The people working in those restaurants are usually ethnically Chinese, but that's the only aspect of it that's still Chinese)

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:45 pm UTC

Am I the only one who thought: "huh, blue raspberry?!?". Also, 'creamsicle' sounds like butter on a stick with some layer of artificial flavouring to make it palatable to humans.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:07 pm UTC

There exists deep-fried butter (occasionally "-onna-stick"), so...

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:36 pm UTC

Caramel and lime have been wronged the most. I almost never drink coffee, but coffee-flavoured things can be great too. I can understand the rest of the low scorers even if I don't agree with any of them. Of course, some of these can vary a lot. I like those mint leaf sweets, but otherwise mint is an even more "vanilla" choice for flavouring than vanilla itself. I've also had French vanilla ice cream that tasted absolutely terrible.

Showsni

Postby Showsni » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:58 pm UTC

It upsets me that more and more own brand crisps seem to be following Walker's lead of making the salt and vinegar green. Salt and vinegar should be blue, and cheese and onion green. Obviously. Not the other way around. I guess we give Walkers a pass because they've always done it like that, but there's no excuse for the rest of you!

And is there even any argument here?
Red = Ready Salted
Blue = Salt and Vinegar
Green = Cheese and Onion
Pink = Prawn Cocktail
Darker Pink/Reddish = Smokey Bacon
Orange = Roast Chicken
Brown = (BBQ) Beef (and Onion)

Maybe light green for spring onion or pickled onion or something. And I guess Worcestershire Sauce purple... Or maybe purple is just pickled onion monster munch.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:55 am UTC

Showsni wrote:

It upsets me that more and more own brand crisps seem to be following Walker's lead of making the salt and vinegar green. Salt and vinegar should be blue, and cheese and onion green.

What?! Blue is for paprika (sweet pepper)! It weirds me that you haven't even listed that flavour —conversely, salt & vinegar isn't too popular outside of the UK.
Also it doesn't make sense for cheese & onion to be green: if either of those ingredients is green, you'd better throw it away.

At least we can all agree a red package must include ready salted crisps. (why is it "ready" in english? why not just salted?)

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:37 am UTC

Flumble wrote:
Showsni wrote:

It upsets me that more and more own brand crisps seem to be following Walker's lead of making the salt and vinegar green. Salt and vinegar should be blue, and cheese and onion green.

What?! Blue is for paprika (sweet pepper)! It weirds me that you haven't even listed that flavour —conversely, salt & vinegar isn't too popular outside of the UK.
Also it doesn't make sense for cheese & onion to be green: if either of those ingredients is green, you'd better throw it away.

At least we can all agree a red package must include ready salted crisps. (why is it "ready" in english? why not just salted?)

I disagree. Blue in what you call "savoury" ranges should be for "cool ranch".

To touch yet another category, I'm pretty happy with the color assignments for Dr Bronner's liquid soaps:

blue = peppermint
cyan = aloe
orange = tea tree
pink = lavender
yellow = citrus
red = rose

but then it breaks down:

brown = eucalyptus
green = almond

Those last two should be reversed.

(Remembering now the packages of Japanese curry mix I saw at an Asian supermarket that flout tradition: green = hot, yellow = medium, red = hot. Someone needs to sit then down at an Edward Tufte seminar.)

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:06 am UTC

Flumble wrote:What?! Blue is for paprika (sweet pepper)! It weirds me that you haven't even listed that flavour —conversely, salt & vinegar isn't too popular outside of the UK.

Haha, and what are you supposed to do with your paprika if it's blue? The green represents scallion/green onion. It's not much use trying to agree with established products. 2 brands here each use 2 different shades of green for Salt & Vinegar and Onion respectively. A 3rd brand uses green for Sour Cream & Chives. If I was choosing colours that represent the ingredients, I'd go with:

Red = Chili or Tomato
Reddish brown = Paprika, Salsa or BBQ
Green = Onion
White = Sour Cream & _____
Yellow = Mustard or Cheese
Orange = Chicken or Cheese
Brown = Beef or BBQ
Dark Brown = Vinegar
Black = Black Pepper (these are delicious)

That leaves blue free, which is often used for salted, especially Sea Salt. I mean, you weren't considering selling blue raspberry crisps were you? :P

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:31 am UTC

Reds (including brown) are for barbecue or spicy flavors.
Orange and yellow are generally for cheese and broadly cheesy flavor combinations.
Green is for sour cream and (green) onion, or french onion (despite that being an ordinary white onion), or anything oniony; alternately, for jalapeño.
Blues are for ranch, plain/original/just-salted-nothing-special, or salt and vinegar.
Purples generally aren't used except sometimes for fancy obscure passing fad flavors.
Black might be for barbecue, or salt & pepper, or some special fancy passing fad flavor.

Seriously though there are sooooo many goddamn flavors of chip available these days (and constantly changing) that besides a few core ones like barbecue, nacho cheese, sour cream and onion, and ranch, there isn't a 1:1 association of flavor to color because there's too many flavors and not enough colors.

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:44 am UTC

There are examples of purple being used for BBQ, Salt & Vinegar or something spicy, probably when the preferred colour was already taken by something else. Ranch isn't a core flavour here so I'm yet to try it. Doritos may be the only example available though.

This takes the game to another level. Green-yellow gradient for cheese & onion!

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:46 am UTC

Flumble wrote:At least we can all agree a red package must include ready salted crisps. (why is it "ready" in english? why not just salted?)

The way my mum tells it, "crisps" used to be a by-product of the deep-frying process in fish and chip shops - there would be bits of crispy potato (and perhaps also batter from the fish) that would end up in the bottom of the fryer and you could ask for a portion of "crisps" - (perhaps these were cheaper than "chips", i.e. the proper deep-fried chipped potatoes, or perhaps they were a special premium delicacy). Just like a portion of chips, they'd be served in an open paper wrapping, and you or the shop owner would add salt and vinegar from the big shaker and bottle respectively that are always found on the counter of a fish and chip shop.

At some point somebody hit on the idea of making these deliberately and selling them in packets - presumably the crispiness made them more palatable when cold than a packet of cold soggy chips would have been. But it would still be up to you to add salt and vinegar to taste; later they started including a little sachet of salt inside the packet, and "salt & shake" was born. Later still they worked out how to add the salt to the crisps at the factory, so these types of crisps were known as "ready salted". Given their birth in the fish and chip shop, they no doubt would have added both salt and vinegar, but vinegar is a liquid and hence trickier to include either in a sachet or pre-applied. This was eventually worked around by using solid acidic chemicals to produce the vinegar flavour, but this didn't happen until after "ready salted" crisps were well established. Otherwise we might have been spared Ready Salted altogether, which would in my view have been a Good Thing.

It's a constant source of puzzlement to me that the practice of adding vinegar to chips/fries is unknown outside the UK, and I get very cross when restaurants in the UK serve chips but don't have vinegar on the table.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:10 pm UTC

It is known of in the US, it's just not a common thing unless the "chips" are being served along fish in a specifically "fish & chips" dish. Usually also with tartar sauce.

Although as ketchup/catsup is at it's root a vinegar-based condiment (although the American kind standard today is now dominated by tomato and sugar), you could say Americans are in the habit of putting vinegar on their "chips" (fries) too.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:55 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:
measure wrote:Bottom end:
Artificial banana
Artificial cherry or grape

Artificial banana I kinda like.

That's because artificial banana actually tastes like banana; it's banana that doesn't taste like banana.

So in the early in the 20th century, scientists created the artificial banana flavor that was almost identical to the Gros Michel cultivar of banana. But then, mid century, disease killed off almost all the Gros Michel banana plants. So instead, the Cavendish cultivar was produced. But banana flavor already existed, and they weren't going to change it to match the Cavendish. So the flavor is still "correct", it just tastes more like the older bananas than the newer ones.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:16 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
Mikeski wrote:Artificial banana I kinda like.
That's because artificial banana actually tastes like banana; it's banana that doesn't taste like banana.

So in the early in the 20th century, scientists created the artificial banana flavor that was almost identical to the Gros Michel cultivar of banana. But then, mid century, disease killed off almost all the Gros Michel banana plants. So instead, the Cavendish cultivar was produced. But banana flavor already existed, and they weren't going to change it to match the Cavendish. So the flavor is still "correct", it just tastes more like the older bananas than the newer ones.

True. And, like all mass-market produce, bananas have been bred for durability for shipping, and not for flavor. And they're picked well ahead of ripeness, so they're still edible when they get to where they're going, but... well, there aren't many delicions per gram in produce like that. It's surprising they taste like anything.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:47 pm UTC

Actually, bananas are eaten pretty soon after being picked; cargo ships are much faster than they were back in the 1920's. It's surprisingly a problem for bananas, since they have to be treated with radiation so they turn yellow sooner.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:43 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:
Mikeski wrote:Artificial banana I kinda like.

True. And, like all mass-market produce, bananas have been bred for durability for shipping, and not for flavor. And they're picked well ahead of ripeness, so they're still edible when they get to where they're going, but... well, there aren't many delicions per gram in produce like that. It's surprising they taste like anything.

They haven't really been bred much at all. When they moved to Cavendish, it happened because that cultivar is easy to ship and resistant to the original strain of Panama Disease. They didn't specifically breed it that way.

Because most bananas are triploid or mostly sterile diploids, and even wild banana seeds are hard (almost impossible) to germinate, it is very, very, very difficult to breed them. Only recently has there been any concerted effort to breed bananas -- most notably, the FHIA program. Even they have issues -- IIRC, out of every few hundred pounds of hand-pollinated bananas they have, they only get one or two seeds. They then do embryo rescue on the seeds to grow new plants.

Banana breeding is insanely difficult by conventional means, which is why GMO's have been looked into some. There are a few promising ones, but they've had trouble getting permission to field test, last I checked.

EDIT: This actually makes me wonder if they've dried restoring some fertility to the triploid by trying to induce chromosome doubling with colchicine...
It would require genetic screening to weed out any horribly abnormal ones, and careful care, but t may be possible.

That being said, the highest ploidy I've heard of in bananas is tetraploid. I have no idea if he applies would survive.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:17 pm UTC

Interesting. I thought "transportability over flavor" was a thing with almost all produce. I guess it still is with bananas, it's just that "Cavendish bananas are naturally tough", and not "breeders are making them tougher".

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:45 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Actually, bananas are eaten pretty soon after being picked; cargo ships are much faster than they were back in the 1920's. It's surprisingly a problem for bananas, since they have to be treated with radiation so they turn yellow sooner.
Radiation? That's new. When I was young, it was ethylene (or somesuch similar gas) that was routinely used to turn the green-picked, green-shipped, green-redistributed bananas in the last practical warehouse stop before the supermarket shelves (or hooks)...

I have to say, though, that I'm more partial to banana-flavour than bananas because of a 'tang' in a genuine banana (no matter how ripe, under-ripe or over-ripe and mushy - could the 'artificial' externalised speed-ripening have something to do with this?) which does something funny with the roof of my mouth. No idea what it is. No idea if it was also present in the prior (flavouring inspirer) banana, or in the likes of plantains. I suppose I could at least check the latter, as I know where there's a Caribbean-community grocery shop...

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:42 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Actually, bananas are eaten pretty soon after being picked; cargo ships are much faster than they were back in the 1920's. It's surprisingly a problem for bananas, since they have to be treated with radiation so they turn yellow sooner.
Radiation? That's new. When I was young, it was ethylene (or somesuch similar gas) that was routinely used to turn the green-picked, green-shipped, green-redistributed bananas in the last practical warehouse stop before the supermarket shelves (or hooks)...

I have to say, though, that I'm more partial to banana-flavour than bananas because of a 'tang' in a genuine banana (no matter how ripe, under-ripe or over-ripe and mushy - could the 'artificial' externalised speed-ripening have something to do with this?) which does something funny with the roof of my mouth. No idea what it is. No idea if it was also present in the prior (flavouring inspirer) banana, or in the likes of plantains. I suppose I could at least check the latter, as I know where there's a Caribbean-community grocery shop...

That's probably just from the Cavendish -- to me they have a kind of cardboardy astringency. Other bananas have a whole host of flavors -- they can be acidic, super sweet, starchy, and more. I do recommend trying some other ones. I frequently find red and/or baby bananas in most supermarkets (at least I did in Texas). They won't be in perfect shape -- usually overripe, but they're different from the Cavendish. plantains also aren't uncommon either (but I haven't seen any at stores here in the Midwest). I've also seen apple bananas and burro bananas (the former are more tart, and small -- the latter are big and starchy, but still with good sweetness and strawberry flavors).

Plantains are also great too in many forms.

I still think they use ethylene for ripening -- it's dirt cheap industrially. I think they may be referring to how they irradiate most fruits that come from certain countries to prevent the spread of pests.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:55 am UTC

Huh, thought it was radiation. On further inspection, yup, ethylene gas.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:08 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Huh, thought it was radiation. On further inspection, yup, ethylene gas.

To be fair, some fruits are irradiated for pest control. I'm not sure if bananas are or not.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:59 pm UTC

pogrmman wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Huh, thought it was radiation. On further inspection, yup, ethylene gas.

To be fair, some fruits are irradiated for pest control. I'm not sure if bananas are or not.

Well, they can clearly irradiate themselves... ;)

(And lookee there at the chart on that page... :D)

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:03 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
pogrmman wrote:

Well, they can clearly irradiate themselves... ;)

(And lookee there at the chart on that page... :D)

The chart they use is great :D

I'm glad it's filtered into Wikipedia now!

smailliW maiL (Reversed)

Postby smailliW maiL (Reversed) » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:02 pm UTC

I've tasted Grape flavour before (I bought some horrifically overpriced US skittles), and I must admit they weren't the best...

Now, mixing certain US skittles flavours is a big no. I just don't know which ones make me want to spit the combination out, because I have a habit of not looking at the one I'm about to eat.

Blackcurrant, on the other hand, is a really nice flavour.

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Fri May 26, 2017 1:04 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Plasma Mongoose wrote:Nice to know there are still people out there who love black licorice.

Black licorice is great in the context of a licorice allsort - it's the yin to the yang of the sugary outer (or inner) part. I never got on with the pure black one, though (bottom right in this pic). It's all shade, and no light:
Spoiler:

I personally love the black licorice strap, it is one of the few really chewy foods I enjoy since normally as a rule any food that is overly chewy is too much trouble to bother with.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”