1811: "Best-Tasting Colors"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: 1811: "Best-Tasting Colors"

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:44 pm UTC

Health issues aside, there's nothing wrong with proper liquorice. The subject of further additives is up for argument, of course...

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:31 pm UTC

SDK wrote:
Mikeski wrote:
Quantized wrote:Popcorn on the 'bad' end of the scale? Outrage. Popcorn is delicious.

Just popcorn, with nothing on it? ...meh. Popcorn is salt substrate.

How dare you?! Salt mixed with dairy fat, please.

Well, duh, how else do you make the salt stick? :wink:

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:25 am UTC

Black liquorice is the best. Not only does it taste awesome, it can be used to surprise unsuspecting tourists.

But it's far from the only good tasting black thing. Dark chocolate, blackberries, cola, coffee.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

aquateer

Postby aquateer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:43 am UTC

I'm in shock. :shock: The rankings on each line are so clearly in reverse order from Empirically True Tastiness Ratings that I thought he was trolling us at first. I mean, citrus rules, y'all, and cotton candy, watermelon, artificial strawberry, and creamsicle all drool. (And not in a salivating-because-they're-so-tasty way.) But then I saw licorice down at the bottom and I think he's serious. You think you know a guy ...

Durandal_1707

Postby Durandal_1707 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:27 am UTC

By ranking black licorice so low, I can only assume the chart refers to jelly bean flavors, not to the foods themselves (this would also explain why popcorn is so low). Jelly beans often screw up the licorice flavor. Real black licorice, preferably the kind that's made in Australia, is the food of the gods.

Red "licorice", on the other hand, is a misnomer, because 1) it has no licorice flavor at all, and 2) it has no flavor at all. Red Twizzlers are basically like eating wax. (I'll make exceptions for Australian red licorice, which can be good.)

CharonPDX

Postby CharonPDX » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:28 am UTC

For the first time ever, Randall is horribly, objectively wrong. While black liquorice itself isn't necessarily the best, the flavor, when used to make anise cookies (or anisette if you're Italian,) is the best thing in the world. (Yes, I know liquorice and anise are separate herbs, but the taste is basically the same.)

Durandal_1707

Postby Durandal_1707 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:43 am UTC

CharonPDX wrote:For the first time ever, Randall is horribly, objectively wrong. While black liquorice itself isn't necessarily the best, the flavor, when used to make anise cookies (or anisette if you're Italian,) is the best thing in the world. (Yes, I know liquorice and anise are separate herbs, but the taste is basically the same.)

Anise is great when added to ginger cookies, as well.

Aiwendil

Postby Aiwendil » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:49 am UTC

I think it's clear: Randall is wrong about all food. I suspect he has never eaten or drunk anything, and obtains nutrients by submerging himself in some kind of protein bath.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:15 am UTC

What about dark chocolate?
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:42 am UTC

aquateer wrote:I'm in shock. :shock: The rankings on each line are so clearly in reverse order from Empirically True Tastiness Ratings that I thought he was trolling us at first. I mean, citrus rules, y'all, and cotton candy, watermelon, artificial strawberry, and creamsicle all drool. (And not in a salivating-because-they're-so-tasty way.) But then I saw licorice down at the bottom and I think he's serious. You think you know a guy ...

It is basically all backwards.

Even the licorice. Citrus is the best!

This makes me question Randall's taste in foods seriously...

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:27 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:If it's holy wars... Crisp(/Chip) Packet colour theming, by flavour.

We really don't use the word crisp in America. We'll know by default that you mean chip. That and your -our spelling are clues.

flicky1991 wrote:I am also offended by liquorice being so low. Even more than I am by the spelling "licorice".

Do you have liquor in your licorice?

Aiwendil wrote:I think it's clear: Randall is wrong about all food. I suspect he has never eaten or drunk anything, and obtains nutrients by submerging himself in some kind of protein bath.

What color is protein?

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:13 am UTC

azule wrote:What color is protein?

Looks brown to me.
any pronouns
----
Discord for Forum Games posters
(Please let me know if the link doesn't work)

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:40 am UTC

The Snide Sniper wrote:Why is orange on the "bad" end of the scale? Orange is the best candy flavor. :evil:

Jaffas, orange jelly snakes are great.

Devil N wrote:Booooo! Licorice is great!

Nice to know there are still people out there who love black licorice.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:20 am UTC

azule wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:If it's holy wars... Crisp(/Chip) Packet colour theming, by flavour.

We really don't use the word crisp in America. We'll know by default that you mean chip. That and your -our spelling are clues.

I find it's easier not to assume. Unwise use of braces/suspenders/pants/vest/etc in conversation can clearly confuse meaning, for example. ;)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:24 am UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:Nice to know there are still people out there who love black licorice.

Black licorice is great in the context of a licorice allsort - it's the yin to the yang of the sugary outer (or inner) part. I never got on with the pure black one, though (bottom right in this pic). It's all shade, and no light:
Spoiler:
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:36 am UTC

If only the seas would evaporate, then we could teach all of you the wonderful taste of liquorice. There's no one "black liquorice", it's a whole spectrum of sensations. Some are a bit more salty, some have a dash of salmiak, some are sweeter, some are not.

I've never liked that "allsort" (or English as we call it) liquorice though. You may call the extra layers sugary, but to me they just taste horrible.

pscottdv

Postby pscottdv » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:44 am UTC

Quantized wrote:Popcorn on the 'bad' end of the scale? Outrage. Popcorn is delicious.

Salt and butter are delicious. Popcorn is a vehicle.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:39 am UTC

Color associations from a source not yet mentioned:

Each roll of Necco Wafers contains eight flavors: lemon (yellow), lime (green), orange (orange), clove (purple), cinnamon (white), wintergreen (pink), licorice (black), and chocolate (brown).

The first three pretty much match up with other sources, and then things get a little bizarre.

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:50 pm UTC

golden.number wrote:Brown is missing Root Beer flavor. Though I understand this tastes like medicine flavor in certain countries, sort of like how cherry flavor equates to medicine flavor in the US.

(European speaking) I disagree. Root beer isn't fit for human consumption at all. I have never had medicine that tasted that bad.

Also, let me add my voice to those who think black licorice is under-appreciated -- although that, too, is probably just an American quirk. In Northern Europe, people totally dig it, and not in a wishy-washy "yang to the yin of red licorice" kind of way either. I'll grant that it's an acquired taste, but it's a taste well worth acquiring. :D

DutchUncle

Postby DutchUncle » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:01 pm UTC

Two edits:

1. The line for "brown" "chocolate" should go off the edge of the chart to the right, both as part of the joke and in reality. If you're allergic, my sympathies.

2. "Blue" needs blueberries.

DutchUncle

Postby DutchUncle » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:04 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:
azule wrote:What color is protein?
Looks brown to me.

Only after humans are done with it.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:16 pm UTC

GlassHouses wrote:(European speaking) I disagree. Root beer isn't fit for human consumption at all. I have never had medicine that tasted that bad.

How about Dandelion And Burdock..?

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:18 pm UTC

He's wrong. I give you Exhibit A: original Starburst. Red > orange >> pink > yellow. Obviously. Exhibit B: original Skittles. Red > orange >> purple > yellow > green.

Also, as artificial flavors go, Pepto Strawberry is the worst (and pink), not the best (and red). Also a fact. The only strawberry you want is kiwi strawberry, usually green, which beats even green apple.

Also, can we all agree that in a comic strip full of USisms, this is the most Amerocentric comic ever?

Solra Bizna

Postby Solra Bizna » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:44 pm UTC

YellowYeti wrote:In terms of light, white is the sum of all the other colours.

In terms of food, brown is the sum of all the other colours.

Chocolate is brown. Therefore Chocolate is equal to the sum of all other foods, and so is proved scientifically to be the best tasting.

Whizbang wrote:Shit is also brown.

The difference is in the timing.

Draconaes

Postby Draconaes » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:03 pm UTC

GlassHouses wrote:
golden.number wrote:Brown is missing Root Beer flavor. Though I understand this tastes like medicine flavor in certain countries, sort of like how cherry flavor equates to medicine flavor in the US.

(European speaking) I disagree. Root beer isn't fit for human consumption at all. I have never had medicine that tasted that bad.

How dare you, good sir.

Root beer is one of the greatest inventions of the human race. I myself subsist almost entirely on a supply of diet A&W. At the very least, it makes root beer floats possible.

Root beer flavored candy generally sucks as a rule, though. 'Tis a pale imitation of greatness.

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:16 pm UTC

When you eat your Smarties do you eat the red ones last?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:25 pm UTC

pscottdv wrote:

Recently discovered that Trader Joes sells a potato chip seasoned with salt, butter, and honey, and just that. It's like sweet popcorn without the nasty kernels.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:47 pm UTC

Old Bruce wrote:When you eat your Smarties do you eat the red ones last?

I create a colour histogram and eat rows from the bottom up, so which I eat last depends on the actual frequency (usually finishing with some of the most common colour unless it got wider columns...

redbird71

Postby redbird71 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:44 pm UTC

Wow. I just disagree WITH ALL OF IT. Especially the fruit would always be over sugar compounds any time. And not because it's healthy but because I like the taste of it MUCH better. It should be fresh from the plant and taken when ripe of course. Accept for Grapes. I hate Grapes. And Lemon over Popcorn.... I would not rather have Lemon than Popcorn. So at least I would agree with that. I suppose.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:51 pm UTC

Alt-text wrote:I recognize that chocolate is its own thing on which reasonable people may differ. Everything else here is objective fact.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:55 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Old Bruce wrote:When you eat your Smarties do you eat the red ones last?

I create a colour histogram and eat rows from the bottom up, so which I eat last depends on the actual frequency (usually finishing with some of the most common colour unless it got wider columns...

I do the opposite. I 'snack' on the upper outliers, conservatively, until I have a level graph. Then I binge on whole lines (across all colours) at a time, defer for a while before the next line-binge, repeat until all that remains is a null set.

(But for bi-coloured Tictacs, I eat pairs right from the start (2x'zero sugar' is zero sugar, right?! Even if they're all 97.5% sugar!!), until I'm left with any number of just a single colour. I then save it and trust on the next pack (of same bi-colouring or a different mix) to have a new left-over to combine with the old left-over and recurse the 'one of each process'. Like everybody does, I'm sure... ;) )

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:58 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
pscottdv wrote:

Recently discovered that Trader Joes sells a potato chip seasoned with salt, butter, and honey, and just that. It's like sweet popcorn without the nasty kernels.

Sweet popcorn is the worst. Why ruin a delicious, buttery, salty snack with sugar?

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:26 pm UTC

DanD wrote:No one asks for "lime" skittles, they say "can I have a green one". In particular, given the time of year, jelly beans.

And then there's matcha:

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:25 pm UTC

golden.number wrote:I'd like to see an actual website that aggregated people's responses. I had an "incident" with cotton candy as a kid, so I would place the taste so far off to the left that it wouldn't even appear on the graph ;-)

Similarly, pistachio doesn't belong on the graph, but mint should be to the far right. And those are the real objective facts ;-)

That does sound interesting, I would love to see that.

While we're talking about nuts: CASHEWS!
I can eat as much as I can afford...
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:55 pm UTC

pogrmman wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
pscottdv wrote:

Sweet popcorn is the worst. Why ruin a delicious, buttery, salty snack with sugar?

Try kettle corn, it tastes like light.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

measure

Postby measure » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:43 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:Exhibit A: original Starburst. Red > orange >> pink > yellow. Obviously.
Exhibit B: original Skittles. Red > orange >> purple > yellow > green.

Subjective!
Starbursts: (nearly exactly reversed) P>Y>O>>R
Skittles: Y>G>O>R>P

Top candy flavors for me:
Fruit flavors (esp. citrus), sour flavors
Coffee-flavored things (coffee itself only with chocolate or cream)
Mint, licorice (black), spicy-peppers
Chocolate (esp. with any of the above)

Bottom end:
Artificial banana
Artificial cherry or grape

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:57 pm UTC

azule wrote:

To me (US), this is crisp (although it seems not everyone knows that, and for a while I wondered if maybe it was just my family that used that term).

Also, while I don't necessarily super-love licorice or anything, I don't really get why people hate it so much...

Chart is missing at least blueberry, blackberry, coconut, banana.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · they (for now, at least) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
flicky1991 wrote:In both cases the quote is "I'm being quoted too much!"

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:21 am UTC

chridd wrote:To me (US), this is crisp (although it seems not everyone knows that, and for a while I wondered if maybe it was just my family that used that term).

At first sight (and glancing, less than thoroughly, at the ingredients) that looks very much like a traditional British crumble. I also see Apple Crumble is linked from there. Although only after I picked up a fruit unspecific link by a separate side-search.

(It looks like your terminology, little known as it is, isn't just your family's soubriquet. OTOH, my family calls a type of flapjack (one that's a dryer and crisper - in a nice way - made exclusively with white sugar, not brown sugar and/or treacle thus more brittle and less 'moist feeling'... Except when cut straight from the baking tray, still warm. Yum!) "Crunchy", whilst entirely unrelated to the Crunchie... So far as I know, there's no unfamilial usage of that term for that home-baked snack. Parallel genesis, aside, it being one of a few halfway decent descriptors...)

Durandal_1707

Postby Durandal_1707 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:25 am UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:Jaffas, orange jelly snakes are great.

Indeed.

DTor

Postby DTor » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:28 am UTC

This comic made me SO MAD I made a forum account just to complain!

All taste is subjective! Either all the flavors should have ranges or none of them should, but definitely not ONLY CHOCOLATE!

How do you remember about blue raspberry when you're listing blue foods, but forget blueberries?

Why is everything Randall Munroe eats candy?

Green Apple is not that good!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”