1802: "Phone"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rossegacebes

1802: "Phone"

Postby Rossegacebes » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:50 pm UTC

Title-text: [*disables social networking accounts*] [*social isolation increases*] Wait, why does this ALSO feel bad?

I can't avoid a subtle feeling of smugness as my phone does not use data networking (only phone calls, and WiFi at home) and I can sit a whole dinner without checking... Of course not belonging to any social network helps.
Last edited by gmalivuk on Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link

Keyman

Re: 1802: "Phone"

Postby Keyman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:05 pm UTC

Rossegacebes wrote:I can't avoid a subtle feeling of smugness as my phone does not use data networking (only phone calls, and WiFi at home) and I can sit a whole dinner without checking... Of course not belonging to any social network helps.

Except this one??
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:09 pm UTC

Yep: I have a couple neighbors who, when walking their respective dogs, spend the entire walk yakking on their phone. I prefer to spend my walks chatting with my dogs, or with the folks who stop to interact w/ my dogs (if not with me :oops: ) .

But really, why isn't this fellow wearing his GoogleGlass 24/7 to begin with?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:11 pm UTC

I bet he'd be happier if he was playing Pokemon Go. All those new Gen II pokemon are out there now!
"Trying to build a proper foundation for knowledge is blippery."
"Squirrels are crazy enough to be test pilots."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:11 pm UTC

This is why I don't give a fuck about people that happen to be geographically close to me. It saves on the social angst.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:18 pm UTC

Luckily I find browsing from any phone frustrating enough to keep me safe from this.
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

RCT Bob

Postby RCT Bob » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:46 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Yep: I have a couple neighbors who, when walking their respective dogs, spend the entire walk yakking on their phone. I prefer to spend my walks chatting with my dogs, or with the folks who stop to interact w/ my dogs (if not with me :oops: ) .

But really, why isn't this fellow wearing his GoogleGlass 24/7 to begin with?

I don't have a dog. Dogs are scary and tend to loudly invade my personal space even when I don't know them very well. Some dogs even touch me and jump up to me even though I don't know them :(

That said, the possibility of being assaulted by dogs is scary enough to stay alert when walking outside (it's called assault when random human strangers touch you without invitation, it's not cute when dogs do the same thing). No phone use during walks for me.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:52 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:I bet he'd be happier if he was playing Pokemon Go. All those new Gen II pokemon are out there now!

Nah, Ingress, then and forever!

brb, smurffing
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:54 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
eran_rathan wrote:I bet he'd be happier if he was playing Pokemon Go. All those new Gen II pokemon are out there now!

Nah, Ingress, then and forever!

brb, smurffing

I've got 40/80 of the Johto pokemon, but for some reason I have to keep coming to work instead of hunting them.

Growing up was a terrible choice.
"Trying to build a proper foundation for knowledge is blippery."
"Squirrels are crazy enough to be test pilots."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:06 pm UTC

I just realized that the Star Trek universe would inextricably devolve into the Pokemon universe.

People don't need to work, and only one in a 1,000,000 gets to work in Star fleet, and they have holo-decks.

So if you don't need to work, and can't do anything important, why not play Pokemon all day?

And what would that look like if you never left the holodeck? A world that consists of only the fun parts, where world events seem to revolve around you and your twelve years old friends.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:19 pm UTC

"Mister Riker, set a course for the Neutral Zone, warp nine! Apparently there's a Mewtwo spawning point there..."

Plutarch

Postby Plutarch » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:53 pm UTC

Reading or texting from a phone while walking is endemic in my part of London these days. People striding along the pavement, not looking where they're going, head down, reading their screen. Seems insane to me, but I suppose that's just the way things are, and will continue to be, until technology brings along something else.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:16 pm UTC

Easy solution, Cueball, be social with your own select group of friends, then ignore the rest of the world, including family.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

speising

Postby speising » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:24 pm UTC

Plutarch wrote:Reading or texting from a phone while walking is endemic in my part of London these days. People striding along the pavement, not looking where they're going, head down, reading their screen. Seems insane to me, but I suppose that's just the way things are, and will continue to be, until technology brings along something else.

There are places where they experiment with separate lanes for phone users, and traffic lights in the pavement so down looking people notice them.

I say, they go at it the wrong way. Instead, distribute some concrete posts randomly on the sidewalk. Those people will notice them, eventually. And they will learn.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:54 pm UTC

speising wrote:
Plutarch wrote:Reading or texting from a phone while walking is endemic in my part of London these days. People striding along the pavement, not looking where they're going, head down, reading their screen. Seems insane to me, but I suppose that's just the way things are, and will continue to be, until technology brings along something else.

There are places where they experiment with separate lanes for phone users, and traffic lights in the pavement so down looking people notice them.

I say, they go at it the wrong way. Instead, distribute some concrete posts randomly on the sidewalk. Those people will notice them, eventually. And they will learn.

Nah, concrete posts are visible when looking down; you need low-hanging signs.

eran_rathan wrote:[...]

I've got 40/80 of the Johto pokemon, but for some reason I have to keep coming to work instead of hunting them.

Growing up was a terrible choice.

Consider the range of feasible alternatives, and then ask yourself how many software developers have made it to heaven so far. Seems to me like growing up was a pretty good choice in context...

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:13 pm UTC

The only constant stream of annoyance my phone ever feeds me is calls from Mom. Until I blocked her entirely at least.

With that fixed, my phone is a way for me to reach out to the broader world no matter where I am, if I should need it. (Hours and directions to places I want to go, for example). Or if I should just happen to wonder about something in a conversation, I can get an answer almost immediately.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:42 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:So if you don't need to work, and can't do anything important, why not play Pokemon all day?

And what would that look like if you never left the holodeck?

I would snuggle with all the Pokémon. Then when I got bored with that I'd battle them. That's probably how it got started in the game universe, too.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:12 pm UTC

azule wrote:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:So if you don't need to work, and can't do anything important, why not play Pokemon all day?

And what would that look like if you never left the holodeck?

I would snuggle with all the Pokémon. Then when I got bored with that I'd battle them. That's probably how it got started in the game universe, too.

Oh c'mon! Nobody's yet said "I'm not really into Pokémon"??
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:19 pm UTC

Keyman wrote:Oh c'mon! Nobody's yet said "I'm not really into Pokémon"??

I'm not really into Ubuntu....

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:43 am UTC

Except that I am..... and I like to talk about it.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:26 am UTC

Why bother? The comic isn't about Pokemon, or Ubuntu. I'm here to discuss the comic. When someone talks about something I'm not really into, usually it's easier (and more polite) to just not reply, than to point out that I'm not really into it.

Boilerplate

Postby Boilerplate » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:23 pm UTC

This is just a geeky way of bemoaning how social media has overtaken the "fake" news cartel that worked to advocate for Randall's political viewpoint.

Social media is one element that has broken that cartel, and reports the world news that actually is "scary" and which the cartel would not otherwise report.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:24 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:I just realized that the Star Trek universe would inextricably devolve into the Pokemon universe.

And what would that look like if you never left the holodeck? A world that consists of only the fun parts, where world events seem to revolve around you and your twelve years old friends.

Congratulations. You just invented The Matrix.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Murderbot

Postby Murderbot » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:11 pm UTC

Better opt for decision paralysis, wherein you fail to decide which of the similarly bad options of disabling antisocial network accounts or not, is better.
cellocgw wrote:I prefer to spend my walks chatting with my dogs, or with the folks who stop to interact w/ my dogs (if not with me :oops: ) .

Are you a ghost?
Quizatzhaderac wrote:I just realized that the Star Trek universe would inextricably devolve into the Pokemon universe.
This started to happen in a TNG episode.

Quizatzhaderac wrote:People don't need to work, and only one in a 1,000,000 gets to work in Star fleet, and they have holo-decks.

So if you don't need to work, and can't do anything important, why not play Pokemon all day?
Maybe Starfleet isn't the only work that's considered important.

YellowYeti

Postby YellowYeti » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:11 pm UTC

Murderbot wrote:Maybe Starfleet isn't the only work that's considered important.

Weren't there miners? Of the sort that were stranded on desolate planets and hadn't seen any slightly de-focussed women for several years?

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:54 pm UTC

YellowYeti wrote:Weren't there miners? Of the sort that were stranded on desolate planets and hadn't seen any slightly de-focussed women for several years?
Well it's not "stranded" if you planned to be there and stay on your own volition. "Isolated" is a better word.

Now, consider how sparsely populated a planet is if a resident can be both isolated, and together with everyone on the plant at the same time.
Murderbot wrote:Maybe Starfleet isn't the only work that's considered important.

There were other jobs, but they tended to have the same ridiculous labor efficiency.

A trillion people protected by a Starfleet a fraction of the size of the US Navy. Continents being raised by only a few hundred people. Science expeditions where the doctor gives everyone on the planet a physical in the same afternoon. A planet being Terra-formed by six people (There was a murder mystery, so it's super important plot point that there were no other "people" there).
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:59 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:A planet being Terra-formed by six people (There was a murder mystery, so it's super important plot point that there were no other "people" there).

The day terraforming is such a dull job that it's done by 6 people is the day I want to be awakened from cryo. :mrgreen: (which is probably only a few years after the perfection of awaking people from cryo)

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:41 pm UTC

If I had my own holodeck, I will have no use for a smart-phone.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:03 am UTC

Boilerplate wrote:This is just a geeky way of bemoaning how social media has overtaken the "fake" news cartel that worked to advocate for Randall's political viewpoint.

Social media is one element that has broken that cartel, and reports the world news that actually is "scary" and which the cartel would not otherwise report.

Social media are great for keeping in touch with your extended family and your not-very-close friends. But if you're using them as news sources, you're missing the distinction between anecdotes and data.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:05 am UTC

Huh? Isn't "data" the word for "anecdotes that demonstrate my point"?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

EngineNr.9

Postby EngineNr.9 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:35 am UTC

Boilerplate wrote:Social media is one element that has broken that cartel, and reports the world news that actually is "scary" and which the cartel would not otherwise report.

Like Chemtrails. :roll:

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:55 pm UTC

GlassHouses wrote:Social media are great for keeping in touch with your extended family and your not-very-close friends. But if you're using them as news sources, you're missing the distinction between anecdotes and data.

Yeah, and thanks so much to all those people 10 years ago who kept saying bloggers could or should replace newspapers. And that the "wisdom of crowds" is an adequate substitute for journalistic reputation.

Cougar Allen

Postby Cougar Allen » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:34 am UTC

ps.02 wrote:

Why bother? The comic isn't about Pokemon, or Ubuntu. I'm here to discuss the comic. When someone talks about something I'm not really into, usually it's easier (and more polite) to just not reply, than to point out that I'm not really into it.

https://xkcd.com/178/

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:56 am UTC

Cougar Allen wrote:
ps.02 wrote:

https://xkcd.com/178/

*Sigh* Yes, yes, we got it the first time. Your clue was that Soupspoon and I both mentioned Ubuntu in our replies.

(N.b.: Also, when a topic immediately calls to mind a clever joke or reference, beware. There's a fine line between "clever" and "low-hanging fruit that everyone else already thought of but realized was too obvious to still be funny.")

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”