1799: "Bad Map Projection: Time Zones"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Plasma_Wolf

1799: "Bad Map Projection: Time Zones"

Postby Plasma_Wolf » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:13 am UTC

Larger version.

It doesn't look that bad I think.

Asia is most weirded-up with Russia and China.

I can't read the title text on my phone because that gives me the link to the larger file: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/bad_map_projection_time_zones_2x.png

There I noticed he swapped the names of French Guyana and Suriname.

Edit: m.xkcd.com helped me out for the alt-text, thanks flicky1991:

'This is probably the first projection in cartographic history that can be criticized for its disproportionate focus on Finland, Mongolia, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.'
Last edited by Felstaff on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:20 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: edit 1.) Added image. edit 2.) added larger image. edit 3.) corrected title.

azule
Saved

Re: 1799: Bad Map Projection: Time Zones

Postby azule » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:36 am UTC

Spoiler:
I don't get why some countries are distorted like Russia. Specifically about Russia, wouldn't it overlap other countries?
Last edited by azule on Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:36 am UTC

Requiring that each country conform to its designated map color is also egregiously inconvenient.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:37 am UTC

Plasma_Wolf wrote:I can't read the title text on my phone because that gives me the link to the larger file:

If you go to the mobile version of the site, there's a button you can click to see the alt-text.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

NeatNit

Postby NeatNit » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:56 am UTC

Slightly bothers me that he went easy on North America while basically butchering everything else.

It also bothers me that he didn't actually mark the timezones... That was the whole point of this map!

Morfos

Postby Morfos » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:10 am UTC

I assume the bits sticking east out of Greenland represent pieces of the shoreline that cross a timezone...? In that case, why doesn't the US pinocchio out west to Hawaii?

hemflit

Postby hemflit » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:12 am UTC

Nice idea.

Disappointed that Nepal didn't get a shoutout for its 45-minute offset.

Some intra-country divisions might have been interesting too, e.g. Arizona reservations.

Oh, and pretty sure Portugal is wrong.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:20 am UTC

NeatNit wrote:Slightly bothers me that he went easy on North America while basically butchering everything else.

Our only weird time zone borders in the U.S. and Canada are Newfoundland being on a half-hour, and Arizona's very awkward daylight savings situation with the Navajo and Hopi Nations.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:48 am UTC

Morfos wrote:I assume the bits sticking east out of Greenland represent pieces of the shoreline that cross a timezone...? In that case, why doesn't the US pinocchio out west to Hawaii?

Because Hawaii is in a different time zone than the rest of the country, so is "correct" as far as the map goes.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Frenchy

Postby Frenchy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:07 am UTC

Morocco and Western Sahara are mixed up too. Kyrgyzstan seems to be missing.

funky_nickie

Postby funky_nickie » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:13 am UTC

Looks like xkcd recognizes the annexation of Crimea, which makes me very, very sad. :(

FOARP

Postby FOARP » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:27 am UTC

Map doesn't look too bad - Russia and Greenland are the only ones that really come off badly. Not sure why Russia looks the way it does but my guess is it's the way its time-zones extend to the north and south of each other.

Greenwich Mean Time FTW BTW.

Morfos wrote:I assume the bits sticking east out of Greenland represent pieces of the shoreline that cross a timezone...? In that case, why doesn't the US pinocchio out west to Hawaii?

Because the areas of Greenland that are in separate time zones are contiguous with the rest of Greenland, but Hawaii is an island. Randall is drawing the map as if those countries did really extend across the time-zones in which they are supposed to be.

hemflit wrote:Nice idea.

Disappointed that Nepal didn't get a shoutout for its 45-minute offset.

Some intra-country divisions might have been interesting too, e.g. Arizona reservations.

Oh, and pretty sure Portugal is wrong.

Nope. Portugal is in a separate time-zone to Spain. For good reasons too: it actually doesn't make that much sense for Vigo in Spain and Bialystok in Poland to be in the same time zone.

Also worth noting: Randall has chosen to use the official time-zone for Xinjiang (i.e., Beijing time) and not the actual one that most locals use.
Last edited by FOARP on Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Frenchy

Postby Frenchy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:34 am UTC

FOARP wrote:Map doesn't look too bad - Russia and Greenland are the only ones that really come off badly. Not sure why Russia looks the way it does but my guess is it's the way its time-zones extend to the north and south of each other.

Greenwich Mean Time FTW BTW.

Russia is like that because the bits of it which are 3 and 5 hours ahead of Moscow don't extend all the way to the northern coast.

See: http://www.digitalintheround.com/wp-con ... -Zones.jpg

teelo

Postby teelo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:56 am UTC

The south island of New Zealand crosses the GMT+11 / GMT+12 border, but the whole country is slotted into GMT+12 only. NZ should have simply been rotated to be more vertical.

speising

Postby speising » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:16 am UTC

I don't get that thing with australia's 8:45? i don't see that in an official time zone map.

kelly_holden

Postby kelly_holden » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:25 am UTC

FOARP wrote:
Also worth noting: Randall has chosen to use the official time-zone for Xinjiang (i.e., Beijing time) and not the actual one that most locals use.

And yet he's noted the existence of Eucla Time in the South East of Western Australia, which is also unofficial, and used by fewer people.

Edit: oh, speising, didn't see you there, but I guess my comment answers your question.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: 1799: "Bad Map Projection: Time Zones"

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:59 am UTC

UK hasn't left Europe, Europe (excepting tardy Portugal?) has wandered away from the UK...

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:27 pm UTC

Exercise for the reader: animated gif showing how the countries move around during the year as daylight saving comes and goes.

I have the vaguest feeling that we had this idea on this forum a while back. Anyone else remember?

ETA: well I sort of mentioned the idea here, since people seemed to be assuming something like this was going on, but I don't think we got to the bottom of whether the map had been distorted in that way or not. (Being a great circle map for the south pole, it was pretty distorted anyway).

ETA2: Then I mused further here.
Last edited by orthogon on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:36 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:29 pm UTC

All you commenters have missed the most important thing about this map: it's number 79, which means it's the gold standard. :lol:

BTW, who's up for listing the XKCD numbers for the previous 78 maps?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

svenman

Postby svenman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:55 pm UTC

FOARP wrote:Nope. Portugal is in a separate time-zone to Spain. For good reasons too: it actually doesn't make that much sense for Vigo in Spain and Bialystok in Poland to be in the same time zone.

In fact, as far as the least possible difference between legal and solar local time is concerned, it would make sense for Spain, France and the Benelux countries (in decreasing order) to also be in the GMT (UTC) time zone (together with Portugal, the UK and Ireland) instead of Central European Time (UTC + 1). However, the convenience of not having a time zone boundary at your countries' land borders seems to be the more important issue for most of the countries mentioned, especially because a lot of those land borders cut through thickly populated regions.

It would seem acceptable to me to have a time zone boundary at the French-Spanish border, which mostly follows the thinly populated Pyrenees mountains, although it certainly would be odd to have that time zone boundary run in a general East-West direction.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

gressc1

Postby gressc1 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:25 pm UTC

I'm concerned about what Greenland is reaching for.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:05 pm UTC

funky_nickie wrote:Looks like xkcd recognizes the annexation of Crimea, which makes me very, very sad. :(

I thought it was yellow at first!

Well, he's recognizing the de facto situation...

chrisjwmartin

Postby chrisjwmartin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:09 pm UTC

Time zones are stupid anyway. Everyone should just use UTC all the time. There's no international law that says the start of the working day has to be 09:00.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:48 pm UTC

chrisjwmartin wrote:Time zones are stupid anyway. Everyone should just use UTC all the time. There's no international law that says the start of the working day has to be 09:00.

This is indeed the logical consequence of the argument that Daylight Saving Time is stupid. As such it constitutes a reductio ad absurdum disproof of that argument.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:15 pm UTC

FOARP wrote:GMT FTW BTW.

FTFY. :wink:
chrisjwmartin wrote:Time zones are stupid anyway. Everyone should just use UTC all the time. There's no international law that says the start of the working day has to be 09:00.

At first, I was inclined to agree, but keeping track of the date would get messy in places, where 0:00 UTC is during the daytime. You'd either have to jump to the next date during the day or at an arbitrary time around local midnight. I'm already bad at remembering what day it is, don't make this any harder, please...
—◯-◯

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:16 pm UTC

My solution is to put all my daylight savings in an IRA. When I retire, the sun will never set.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:40 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:At first, I was inclined to agree, but keeping track of the date would get messy in places, where 0:00 UTC is during the daytime. You'd either have to jump to the next date during the day or at an arbitrary time around local midnight. I'm already bad at remembering what day it is, don't make this any harder, please...

Yes, UTC is bad. Time must be metricized, so appointments must be made in seconds since the unix epoch (no leap seconds allowed!), which is what digital calendars are doing anyway. Computers can convert that to 'number of nights from now, apparent solar time' or 'number of hours/minutes/seconds from now' if you'd rather have that than apparent solar time.

The fun part is that, if you're going westward fast enough, your clock stops ticking or even ticks backwards.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:36 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Yes, UTC is bad. Time must be metricized, so appointments must be made in seconds since the unix epoch (no leap seconds allowed!), which is what digital calendars are doing anyway.

No, we should have the exact time elapsed from the beginning of the universe to now, given in Planck time. Picking arbitrary units with arbitrary divisions/starting points is what got us into this mess in the first place.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:54 pm UTC

Azrael's Clock is the truest.

chrisjwmartin

Postby chrisjwmartin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:01 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:

At first, I was inclined to agree, but keeping track of the date would get messy in places, where 0:00 UTC is during the daytime. You'd either have to jump to the next date during the day or at an arbitrary time around local midnight. I'm already bad at remembering what day it is, don't make this any harder, please...

Eh, you'd get used to it. How do you think people on night shifts cope?

Or think of it this way: before the 24-hour clock, how on earth did people keep track of whether it was am or pm? Umm, they just got on with it.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:07 pm UTC

NeatNit wrote:Slightly bothers me that he went easy on North America while basically butchering everything else.
He didn't go easy on North America, North America just goes relatively easy on its time zones, compared to other parts of the world. (Also, a country-level map like this isn't capable of showing how it messes with internal features like state and province boundaries.)

Because Hawai'i isn't a piece of the shoreline of the continental US.

hemflit wrote:Oh, and pretty sure Portugal is wrong.
No, it seems to be just to the left of Randall's imagined dividing line between GMT and GMT+1, with Spain just to the right of that line.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:09 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Time must be metricized, so appointments must be made in seconds since the unix epoch (no leap seconds allowed!), which is what digital calendars are doing anyway.

"What digital calendars are doing anyway"? No, the timekeeping on your local computers right now, which I think count as "digital calendars," do have to adjust for leap seconds. You mention the Unix epoch, but just check the Unix time at midnight UTC and you'll find it is always divisible by 86400 (number of seconds in a day), which would not be the case if leap seconds were included.

hankheyming

Postby hankheyming » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:24 pm UTC

Umm...Morocco and Western Sahara ("WS" on the map) are reversed.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:28 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:
Flumble wrote:Time must be metricized, so appointments must be made in seconds since the unix epoch (no leap seconds allowed!), which is what digital calendars are doing anyway.

"What digital calendars are doing anyway"? No, the timekeeping on your local computers right now, which I think count as "digital calendars," do have to adjust for leap seconds. You mention the Unix epoch, but just check the Unix time at midnight UTC and you'll find it is always divisible by 86400 (number of seconds in a day), which would not be the case if leap seconds were included.

My bad, I meant "doing anyway" as in storing the time of an event as an offset from a globally defined epoch, not the part where unix time is shit because it has funny business with leap seconds.

Thesh wrote:
Flumble wrote:Yes, UTC is bad. Time must be metricized, so appointments must be made in seconds since the unix epoch (no leap seconds allowed!), which is what digital calendars are doing anyway.

No, we should have the exact time elapsed from the beginning of the universe to now, given in Planck time. Picking arbitrary units with arbitrary divisions/starting points is what got us into this mess in the first place.

I would agree with you if only we'd have a precise measurement of the age of the universe and Planck units wouldn't have the problem of being really imprecise (as the wiki page explains bases like G are hard to reproduce). Using a random* epoch and the time unit from SI is the best we can do currently. Nonetheless you can still fight over whether to take leap seconds into account and whether to correct for Earth/Solar System/Milkway time dilation.

Speaking of time dilation: do we have any idea how much faster a Greenwich second elapses without curved space?

*we can also have a converging voting system among computers worldwide to decide the 'current' time offset and see where our epoch ends up.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:41 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:I would agree with you if only we'd have a precise measurement of the age of the universe and Planck units wouldn't have the problem of being really imprecise (as the wiki page explains bases like G are hard to reproduce). Using a random* epoch and the time unit from SI is the best we can do currently. Nonetheless you can still fight over whether to take leap seconds into account and whether to correct for Earth/Solar System/Milkway time dilation.

set executive_mode on

That's for the engineers to work out.

set executive_mode off
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:53 pm UTC

Greenland is stretched funny, probably because they get so little sun that its position in the sky (or below the southern horizon) has no bearing (ahem) on their schedules, while economic dealings with Europe do.

Reforming this mess provides a great opportunity for regional defense. Greenlanders can divide their island into the eastern e time zone (UTC+2.7182818...) and the western π time zone (UTC+3.14159265...).

Invaders would be too busy synchronizing their watches to get any invading done.

hemflit

Postby hemflit » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:09 pm UTC

FOARP wrote:Nope. Portugal is in a separate time-zone to Spain. For good reasons too: it actually doesn't make that much sense for Vigo in Spain and Bialystok in Poland to be in the same time zone.

Exactly. The map makes it look like it might share a time zone with Spain, and definitely not with Britain.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:39 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Speaking of time dilation: do we have any idea how much faster a Greenwich second elapses without curved space?
We can, if one picks a standard for "flat" space. Using the nearby intergalactic void, the difference is about one part in 500,000
ucim wrote:My solution is to put all my daylight savings in an IRA. When I retire, the sun will never set.
I'm pretty sure the IRA is determined to cause the sun to set on the British empire.

Or rather, to best piss off British linguistic purists: "sunset the British empire".
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:49 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Flumble wrote:Speaking of time dilation: do we have any idea how much faster a Greenwich second elapses without curved space?
We can, if one picks a standard for "flat" space. Using the nearby intergalactic void the difference is about one part in 500,000

Is that truly flat, though? Can we know?

PieterEr

Postby PieterEr » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:52 pm UTC

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but… why is Poland "reaching" to the east? It's in the same time zone as Germany and most of the Western Europe, and they observe DST the same way.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”