1783: "Emails"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

abridgerToNi

1783: "Emails"

Postby abridgerToNi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:56 pm UTC

alt text: Hey Rob, sorry it took me a while to get back to you! Sure, I'd love to see WALL-E opening weekend! Are you still doing that, or...?

My recommendation: Mark All As Red.
..it might not help, but it'll at least add some color

Wee Red Bird

Re: 1783: "Emails"

Postby Wee Red Bird » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:06 pm UTC

Should be easier as you get closer to the present. Most people keep up via Facebook and Twitter. You can delete the email notifications and trim that box down.

Mahnarch

Postby Mahnarch » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:28 pm UTC

Glad I'm not the only one who's negligent about emails.

I cleared mine out in December with a lot of 'select all' and deletes.

5,300+ unread emails.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:35 pm UTC

It's even worse than that over in Facebook land. The Powers That Be helpfully filter your incoming private messages, with no notifications. If you don't know there's a special "messages" sub-page with a semisecret option to Show All, you may well have messages waiting for you from years ago. I know I did :cry: (need an Angry markdown emoji here).

For that matter lots of e-mail host providers attempt spam filtering before forwarding to your inbox. If you don't open up the web interface you never see what THEY decided was spam, again without notification.

None of that, sadly, addresses the problem of people who have no clue how to filter or archive or sort their incoming messages. E-mail is the new "Hoarders-Buried Alive."
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:23 pm UTC

I can't deal with unread emails. Even "Inbox (1)" is sacrilege.

There is, however, distinction between read and "read".
He/Him/His Image

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:08 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:For that matter lots of e-mail host providers attempt spam filtering before forwarding to your inbox. If you don't open up the web interface you never see what THEY decided was spam, again without notification.

Not even just spam. I had trouble when Gmail suddenly started to put mails into a not-main-page subfolder that I never knew was effectively synonymous with important, which is apparently what it thought (correctly, in these cases) they were.

No idea when it happened, but it meant I didn't realise that I needed to go and look beyond the main page (and, periodically, the spam folder) for several months after a notifcation email that I really would have liked to see came through, on that particular account. And even then, once I entered into conversation with the origonal sender, I was unable to see beyond the "first few words" summary of the next reply's body text, with no way to view anything other than the original email that I have yet to find, and I had to use the web interface (thereby continuously ignoring its pop-up entreaty to install and use the (already installed, already ineffectually used) tablet app) to actually read and respond to the reply...

"Computer thinks it knows better than the user" syndrome (with a possibly shifting of the blame to whoever thinks they know how I would like to use my computer and thus designs their entireninfrastructure around this erroneous paradigm). The bane of my life, at times. I manage other email domains differently1, but as the days most useful place for things I might receive emails on that account for, I really haven't bothered to deal with that particular one otherwise.

1 My Yahoo account (served by a third party email app more to my liking) keeps on telling me to upgrade to the latest Yahoo email app to read my emails, when I'm perfectly happy with the current method, I don't have/want the Yahoo app for this other semi-throwaway mailbox. (Especially if my experience with the Gmail one is any hint as to how that might go...)

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:34 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:t's even worse than that over in Facebook land. The Powers That Be helpfully filter your incoming private messages, with no notifications. If you don't know there's a special "messages" sub-page with a semisecret option to Show All, you may well have messages waiting for you from years ago. I know I did :cry: (need an Angry markdown emoji here).

For that matter lots of e-mail host providers attempt spam filtering before forwarding to your inbox. If you don't open up the web interface you never see what THEY decided was spam, again without notification.

This is how I didn't become a member of a newly forming railroad modelling club. Noticed the damn message a year later...
But you know what's worse than the e-mail provider filtering out what they think is spam? The e-mail provider sending you spam, because apparently somewhere along the line you agreed to it while registering on their (otherwise pretty unsophisticated) service. When I saw the first one I thougth they had to be joking...
write something... that says something... about something
❖❖❖
✆ Hello? Yes, this is Forum Games!
❖❖❖
hey/them/theirs = he/him/his > others
If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite (or for any other reason), I won't mind.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:44 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:whoever thinks they know how I would like to use my computer and thus designs their entire infrastructure around this erroneous paradigm

Design-by-mission-statement should be punishable by waterboarding. At minimum.

"Consistent user experience" gets about 200,000 hits on google...

Reka

Postby Reka » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:48 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:"Computer thinks it knows better than the user" syndrome

Hear, hear. This is why I avoid all thing Apple if I can help it, though of course neither Google nor Microsoft are immune from this attitude, either. (I don't use Facebook.)

MrT2

Postby MrT2 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:19 pm UTC

I still sporadically have a bit more of a clearout of all the old mails on my gmail account, I used to use Outlook Express on my PC, and deleted/filed everything after downloading - but it didn't reflect that back onto the webmail side of gmail, and since I now mostly access email on my phone, I have several thousand old emails still clogging up gmail.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:26 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:But you know what's worse than the e-mail provider filtering out what they think is spam? The e-mail provider sending you spam

Hotmail went through a phase of spamming me with emails about how good their spam protection was. I don't know whether that stopped or if their own filters are catching it...
He/Him/His Image

DanD

Postby DanD » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:30 pm UTC

HES wrote:
somitomi wrote:But you know what's worse than the e-mail provider filtering out what they think is spam? The e-mail provider sending you spam

Hotmail went through a phase of spamming me with emails about how good their spam protection was. I don't know whether that stopped or if their own filters are catching it...

Maybe you were part of their self testing? If it starts up again, it's because their tiger team found a new exploit.

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:00 pm UTC

As Benjamin Franklin said, “Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today.” and “For every minute spent in organizing, an hour is earned.”.

tms

Postby tms » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:26 pm UTC

set key repeat delay to 1/(y(today)-y(messageyear)+1) s

This is a pressing matter.
- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:19 am UTC

qvxb wrote:As Benjamin Franklin said, [...] “For every minute spent in organizing, an hour is earned.”.

I know some immortals, then.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:04 am UTC

At one of my jobs, they started archiving emails, three years back I think. God knows how many unread emails that would create... And people who don't use their account have them deleted after 30 days.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

x7eggert

Postby x7eggert » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:41 am UTC

somitomi wrote:But you know what's worse than the e-mail provider filtering out what they think is spam? The e-mail provider sending you spam, because apparently somewhere along the line you agreed to it while registering on their (otherwise pretty unsophisticated) service. When I saw the first one I thougth they had to be joking...

Those free-and-financed-by-commercials providers are sending you commercials? How dare they ...

Wee Red Bird

Postby Wee Red Bird » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:03 am UTC

HES wrote:I can't deal with unread emails. Even "Inbox (1)" is sacrilege.

There is, however, distinction between read and "read".

Just think of those old Read Receipt flags set on them. Your 8 year old email has just been read.

FOARP

Postby FOARP » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:55 am UTC

Remember when email was a new thing? Remember how excited you felt to receive them and communicate with people you hadn't heard of for a long time? I still curse the inbox limits of that era which meant I had to delete emails as some of them were awesome. The emails i exchanged with my wife when we first got to know each other are there. My emails from when I first lived overseas are there.

Yeah, just checked, I have 5,400 unread emails. Overwhelmingly (95%+) commercial stuff.

EDIT: so just by searching and deleting for the worst offenders (Amazon and Linkedin especially) I was able to get that down under 1000.
Last edited by FOARP on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:08 am UTC

x7eggert wrote:
somitomi wrote:But you know what's worse than the e-mail provider filtering out what they think is spam? The e-mail provider sending you spam, because apparently somewhere along the line you agreed to it while registering on their (otherwise pretty unsophisticated) service. When I saw the first one I thougth they had to be joking...

Those free-and-financed-by-commercials providers are sending you commercials? How dare they ...

I didn't say that. It's a nuissance, but it didn't even stop me from using that service, which I'd do if the thought "How dare they" ever seriously crossed my mind. But I think there's a difference between putting ads on the screen and cluttering my inbox with emails. Besides, this way I'm actually less likely to see the ad itself, since I can recognise them from the subject.
write something... that says something... about something
❖❖❖
✆ Hello? Yes, this is Forum Games!
❖❖❖
hey/them/theirs = he/him/his > others
If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite (or for any other reason), I won't mind.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:39 am UTC

Wee Red Bird wrote:Just think of those old Read Receipt flags set on them. Your 8 year old email has just been read.
Has anyone in the last twenty-odd years actually usefully used Read Receipts? Isn't this one of the first settings that everyone changes to at least ask if Read Receipts are to be returned (if that isn't the software default), if not to never do so..?

This is probably why WebBugs were developed, and why I started to read my emails in OE by entirely eschewing the Preview Pane and opening the message source (well in advance of Melissa, which turned out to be useful). Then Previews (and even fully-opened-in-new-window views) started to not show hyperlinked images (perhaps still leaving inline images1, naturally, if you could even trust them), suggesting that you could open them 'if you want to', leading to either never ever again (those embedded as an image promotional images never got read, the same as the phishing-detection-avoidance ones) or you just willingly exposed yourself to everything again, because the arms race favoured the blockers or the new exploit methods, but always left the unwary user three steps behond the curve and rendered either paranoid or gullible, until people started to also target the gullible paranoids by telling them their account passwords to randomservice needed reconfirming by clicking this fakelink, honest...

Oh for the times when all you had to worry about was the Good Times virus putting your ASCII buffer into an nth-complexity binary loop and melting your disk's zeroth sector. (GEROFF MY LAWN, YOU DARNED NOISY KIDS!)

1 A bad idea, the text/html MIME-type, IMO. The bandwidth wasted on ivy leaves across the topmand down the sides, for no practcal reasons whatsoever, or animated full-width .gifs depicting bouncing balls in signatures (that didn't always get placed behind a "--" line, or didn't get noted as usefully strippable upon a reply, except of course when it came back from a Top-Posting default client) *raeg*.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:45 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:behond the curve

+1 for this neologism: presumably it's a portmanteau of behind and beyond? I often feel like I'm behond the curve.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:55 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:behond the curve

+1 for this neologism: presumably it's a portmanteau of behind and beyond? I often feel like I'm behond the curve.

I saw this typo after posting. I went back in to edit it and another minor thing (that I did first) and then couldn't remember what it was or find it again... Something to do with composition-panel blindness to errors.

But I'll take the +1, anyway, as I'm collecting them. (I plan to use them all to build a 1/54th scale St Pauls Cathedral in my basement. After I substantially readjust the size of the basement, of course.)

FOARP

Postby FOARP » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:31 am UTC

So I literally just spent the last day clearing away spam emails in my inbox, and my mining turned up exactly three emails of relevance. Good work all things considered.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:45 pm UTC

Hmmm I should do a cleanup sometime. I'm sure if I tried, I could delete at least 30000 emails off my private server. You suppose the FBI would notice?

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:02 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:Hmmm I should do a cleanup sometime. I'm sure if I tried, I could delete at least 30000 emails off my private server. You suppose the FBI would notice?

Perhaps.

(But almost definitely if you are postmaster@fbi.gov... :) )

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:25 am UTC

somitomi wrote:
x7eggert wrote:

I didn't say that. It's a nuissance, but it didn't even stop me from using that service, which I'd do if the thought "How dare they" ever seriously crossed my mind. But I think there's a difference between putting ads on the screen and cluttering my inbox with emails. Besides, this way I'm actually less likely to see the ad itself, since I can recognise them from the subject.

Yeah, that sounds like a really awkward way of going about doing advertising. It seems like a very ineffective attempt at native advertising, which is inherently squick when effective but just seems awkward here. Does the e-mail provider's spam evade their own filters, or can you literally tell them to bin themselves? Seems like something has gone wrong either way that breaks down. = .
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”