1782: "Team Chat"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ps.02

Re: 1782: "Team Chat"

Postby ps.02 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:19 pm UTC

chridd wrote:
ps.02 wrote:: ) [without the space - phpBB sometimes does the same thing]
There's a "disable smilies" option below the submit button :)

Yes, well, in a post complaining about software mangling text too aggressively, I didn't want to take the chance on whether that checkbox meant don't mangle text at all or just don't show the mangled version in the preview.

Also, as it turns out, I thus prevented phpBB from mangling it later in someone else's reply. (Yep: phpBB re-decides how to render emoticons in quoted text.)

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:58 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:(Yep: phpBB re-decides how to render emoticons in quoted text.)

Why yes, phpbb (and likely all available forum software) has no concept of quoted text, but of text in a styled box instead. So it's rendered with your message settings just like the rest of the text. (Having message settings as an attribute in the quote tag seems doable, if the settings are queriable by other users and the bbcode parser is heavily modified. At lest more doable than having actual quote references. That'd require a(n arbitrarily deeply nested) query to (a part of) a (versioned) message. The advantage would be that all tags would be closed properly and you couldn't tamper with someone's text.)

It'd be nice to have an inline [pre ][/pre] tag —don't care whether it's monospace, as long as it parses all text inside it as plain text so I don't need to apply tricks to write array[i].

speising

Postby speising » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:09 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
ps.02 wrote:(Yep: phpBB re-decides how to render emoticons in quoted text.)

Why yes, phpbb (and likely all available forum software) has no concept of quoted text, but of text in a styled box instead. So it's rendered with your message settings just like the rest of the text. (Having message settings as an attribute in the quote tag seems doable, if the settings are queriable by other users and the bbcode parser is heavily modified. At lest more doable than having actual quote references. That'd require a(n arbitrarily deeply nested) query to (a part of) a (versioned) message. The advantage would be that all tags would be closed properly and you couldn't tamper with someone's text.)

It'd be nice to have an inline [pre ][/pre] tag —don't care whether it's monospace, as long as it parses all text inside it as plain text so I don't need to apply tricks to write array[i].

array[i]
Which trick are you talking about?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:53 pm UTC

Well, fine, array[i] is doing fine by itself here*.
But array with some [i]italic text later on in the message makes a mess as you can see.

*another forum I frequent (SMF instead of phpBB) decides it's an [i] tag regardless of whether it's closed and allows nesting of the tag, so [i] never shows up unless escaped. Luckily it also allows for empty content so you can just stuff a [tag][/tag] within the text to escape it, unlike this forum in which the tags are simply removed if there's no content inside.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:42 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Well, fine, array[i] is doing fine by itself here*.
But array[i] with some italic text later on in the message makes a mess as you can see.

*another forum I frequent (SMF instead of phpBB) decides it's an [i] tag regardless of whether it's closed and allows nesting of the tag, so [i] never shows up unless escaped. Luckily it also allows for empty content so you can just stuff a [tag][/tag] within the text to escape it, unlike this forum in which the tags are simply removed if there's no content inside.
Empty [s] tags aren't removed and can be used for this purpose. Seems to be true for [sup] and [sub] as well.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · they (for now, at least) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
flicky1991 wrote:In both cases the quote is "I'm being quoted too much!"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”