1779: "2017"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

flicky1991

1779: "2017"

Postby flicky1991 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:38 pm UTC

Title text: "Things are looking good for the eclipse--Nate Silver says Earth will almost definitely still have a moon in August."

The last few prime years, for reference:
1901 1907 1913 1931 1933 1949 1951 1973 1979 1987 1993 1997 1999 2003 2011

YMMV on the quality of these years.
adopted by emlightened
---
avatar from an image drawn for me by Nicole Fu

moody7277

Re: 1779: "2017"

Postby moody7277 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:43 pm UTC

I've heard/read about this eclipse since I was a kid, and it's amazing that it's only eight months away.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:47 pm UTC

Ugh. I hate this whole "2016 was an awful year" thing.

For me, it was a fairly average year. Yes, some bad things happened that I hate -- like Trump's election and the fact that it is the warmest year on record and Brexit and terrorist attacks and other stuff. However, on type while, it was far better for me than 2015 was. At this point last year, I was horribly depressed, I'd ended up in the hospital for a really severe self harm thing, I was incredibly stressed out, I hated myself, I'd lost a family member to cancer (well, really to chemo), etc, etc...

This year, the start was kind of shitty, but I'd gotten help, I've finally learned how to make friends in under a year, I'm enjoying life much more than in the pst, and more.

2016 wasn't shit for everybody. I'm looking forward to next year so I don't have to hear about it.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:29 pm UTC

Even with all the big really bad stuff that happened this year, I could have still been happy, because all that stuff is far away and I can keep living my life as usual despite it, at least for a good long while, probably.

It's the personal things that made it terrible for me. At the start of 2015 I was getting to the point that all the various thing that had had me unhappy for decades were finally getting squared away and I finally once again had hope for the future. Hope is a dangerous thing, and a new problem that completely dwarfs all the old ones combined crushed me completely throughout the entire year. By the start of 2016 I thought that that was finally settled and hoped again that maybe this would be the year that i would finally be at least ok maybe, but then an even bigger problem started up and got worse and worse and isn't showing any signs of ever stopping and last years soul crushing problem is back again too just in time for the end of the year and next year and probably every new year forever will just get worse and worse until i just die
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:49 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:By the start of 2016 I thought that that was finally settled and hoped again that maybe this would be the year that i would finally be at least ok maybe, but then an even bigger problem started up and got worse and worse and isn't showing any signs of ever stopping and last years soul crushing problem is back again too just in time for the end of the year and next year and probably every new year forever will just get worse and worse until i just die

:'(

That's awful. I can totally see why that would make this year terrible for you, much like last year was bad for me. It really sucks that you have to deal with something like that.

Hopefully next year is better for you, despite your prediction to the contrary.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:26 pm UTC

On the bright side, 2017 marks the start of my next campaign for POTUS. I could use a few (thousand) campaign volunteers, not to mention afew bucks for TV ads :cry:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

reval

Postby reval » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:09 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:... and probably every new year forever will just get worse and worse until i just die

Well, yes. Even apart from the particular oppressions that have come over you, each of us will die, and so will everyone we love.

Hope is a two-edged sword. Primo Levi (The Drowned and the Saved) describes hope as extremely dangerous to those who were trying to survive in the concentration camps. Anyone who began to hope would lose track of the immediate, and they would quickly die.

On the other hand, Al Gore described his method of conveying An Inconvenient Truth as "maintaining the hope quotient" by telling one downer, one upper, one downer, one upper, etc. Otherwise the audience would turn off and put down the book.

Yes, they're far apart, reading a book versus trying to stay alive under terror, but boundary conditions are useful. For each situation, there is a range of hope that is useful in motivating action, without detaching from the immediate now. You want it to help you, not hurt you. Hope in a given situation has to be kept in a range between the Al Gore Minimum and the Primo Levi Maximum.

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:28 pm UTC

Well, this year, I started to take different forms of Doomsday argument a tiny bit more seriously.

The form of the argument that I've found slightly unnerving: what is the chance that the world population distribution over time will resemble a) sigmoid until eternity, b) exponential until fast collapse, c) Gaussian or other form with a fatter right tail than b)? Whatever you think it is, pick a random human from that particular distribution. That's you. Then look at the estimated history of number of humans before you. How lucky you feel?

thunk

Postby thunk » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:51 pm UTC

My year was all right, personally speaking. Had good and bad stuff. Nothing untoward.
Though I do admit to focusing way too much on global problems like everything else. Hard to tease out the threats to fundamental precepts from "zomg policies got enacted that I don't like, the horror!"
Hg wrote:Mixed-market curious.

Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!

Obvious suggestion by flicky.

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:33 pm UTC

I'm going to perform at Uncle Donald's inauguration in January. I can't decide between "Another Brick in the Wall" and "You're No Good".

Stargazer71

Postby Stargazer71 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:09 am UTC

It's at times like this that I reflect on how many times I heard Clinton claim that Trump was running a campaign based on fear.

That makes me smile, because comics like this make it seem undeniable to me that Clinton was the one running a campaign based on fear--a fear of Trump. Now that Clinton is gone, all people like Randall have left is that fear of Trump.

Pitiful.

TheGhost

Postby TheGhost » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:34 am UTC

I absolutely agree with StarGazer71. The biased mainstream media has been ingraining the idea that a Trump presidency is equivalent to the apocalypse in the minds of unsuspecting children and sheeple like Randall. It's sad to see xkcd becoming more and more Randall's platform to espouse his political views.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:42 am UTC

Mambrino wrote:Well, this year, I started to take different forms of Doomsday argument a tiny bit more seriously.

The form of the argument that I've found slightly unnerving: what is the chance that the world population distribution over time will resemble a) sigmoid until eternity, b) exponential until fast collapse, c) Gaussian or other form with a fatter right tail than b)? Whatever you think it is, pick a random human from that particular distribution. That's you. Then look at the estimated history of number of humans before you. How lucky you feel?

The reason I don't put much stock in the Doomsday Argument (and its close relatives) is that it assumes ignorance - if we have no information whatsoever about humanity's likely future, then we can predict based on the idea that we're a random person picked from all of human history, past and future (though you can also argue about whether "humans" is the best measure, or should it be "intelligences" or something else) but if we have pretty much any information we can use to make predictions, that trumps the DA - so, for example, if we spot a large rock headed directly for Earth, we can be fairly sure humanity only has a few months left on the clock, while in the absence of a specific threat, we have some idea of the typical time between major extinction events, which arguably gives a better estimate for how long we have than the DA does.

Flumble

Postby Flumble » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:52 am UTC

reval wrote:each of us will die

Please elaborate.
I accept that statement in the sense of "today's me will be dead by tomorrow", but the colloquial meaning of "dying" has only happened to about 95% of humanity. You can't even p-hack that to certainty. :P

Stargazer71 wrote:It's at times like this that I reflect on how many times I heard Clinton claim that Trump was running a campaign based on fear.

That makes me smile, because comics like this make it seem undeniable to me that Clinton was the one running a campaign based on fear--a fear of Trump. Now that Clinton is gone, all people like Randall have left is that fear of Trump.

All I have left is fear of human indifference, but that's nothing new.
It's shifted from human stupidity to indifference over the past years, notably due to how much I get dragged into unprivacy by simply existing near people who use facebook/instagram/google/twitter/whatsapp/whatever all day. No matter how much knowledge they have on the subject, they just don't care. (I probably shouldn't care either, because I'm already on several lists for visiting 4chan and downloading the Tor bundle and Tails several times. But I do.)

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:48 am UTC

Flumble wrote:
reval wrote:each of us will die

Please elaborate.
I accept that statement in the sense of "today's me will be dead by tomorrow", but the colloquial meaning of "dying" has only happened to about 95% of humanity. You can't even p-hack that to certainty. :P

Stargazer71 wrote:It's at times like this that I reflect on how many times I heard Clinton claim that Trump was running a campaign based on fear.

All I have left is fear of human indifference, but that's nothing new.
It's shifted from human stupidity to indifference over the past years, notably due to how much I get dragged into unprivacy by simply existing near people who use facebook/instagram/google/twitter/whatsapp/whatever all day. No matter how much knowledge they have on the subject, they just don't care. (I probably shouldn't care either, because I'm already on several lists for visiting 4chan and downloading the Tor bundle and Tails several times. But I do.)

Being on a government list and being where some internet tough guy can find you are two different things.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:57 am UTC

qvxb wrote:I'm going to perform at Uncle Donald's inauguration in January. I can't decide between "Another Brick in the Wall" and "You're No Good".

As the reasons for the carnage cut their meat and lick the gravy, we oil up the jaws of the war machine and feed it with our babies.
The body-bags and little rags of children torn in two and the jellied brains of those who remained will put the finger right on you,
as the madmen play on words and make us all dance to their song, to the tune of starving millions, to make a better kind of gun.

- Iron Maiden's "possibly even angrier" version of Masters of War, 2 Minutes To Midnight. Given the satsuma's interest in "his" nuclear arsenal, the title seems appropriate.

In this building there's a crowd of guys with old, familiar thoughts upon their minds, and that's too many hands a-reachin' out to grab the things that I consider mine.
I don't know and have no opinion.

Tallest Skil

Postby Tallest Skil » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:45 pm UTC

Holy shit, he really needs to grow the fuck up already. This is the behavior of a toddler who can’t control his emotions and doesn’t know how to turn ideas into actionable concepts. The scariest part about 2016 is that he’s not the only person who behaved this way.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:44 pm UTC

thunk wrote:My year was all right, personally speaking. Had good and bad stuff. Nothing untoward.
Though I do admit to focusing way too much on global problems like everything else. Hard to tease out the threats to fundamental precepts from "zomg policies got enacted that I don't like, the horror!"

For me that's precisely what made this year qualitatively different. After 27 years of awareness of politics, I'm used to the cycle of governments whose policies I agree with and disagree with. But until now the parties played by the same rules: you make good arguments, you back them up with true facts, and you present yourself as a decent, honest, statesmanlike person of integrity. Turns out none of those is necessary, and what's more, by breaking those rules you can distract attention from any policies you may or may not have. (Unless you call that stupid wall a policy, I suppose).

Prime years have been quite good for me, as it happens. Fingers crossed...
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Flumble

Postby Flumble » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:17 am UTC

orthogon wrote:you make good arguments, you back them up with true facts, and you present yourself as a decent, honest, statesmanlike person of integrity.

Where does one find such politics? Liechtenstein? Bhutan? Uruguay?

Speaking of Uruguay: I'm hearing good things about the country. It's argued to be the safest, wealthiest, modernest and egalitarianest country of South America and they're allegedly begging for immigrants.
Can anyone enlighten me about Uruguay? Would it be a nice place to e.g. stay for a couple of years with a work visa?

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:26 am UTC

pogrmman wrote:Ugh. I hate this whole "2016 was an awful year" thing.

For me, it was a fairly average year. Yes, some bad things happened that I hate -- like Trump's election and the fact that it is the warmest year on record and Brexit and terrorist attacks and other stuff. However, on type while, it was far better for me than 2015 was. At this point last year, I was horribly depressed, I'd ended up in the hospital for a really severe self harm thing, I was incredibly stressed out, I hated myself, I'd lost a family member to cancer (well, really to chemo), etc, etc...

This year, the start was kind of shitty, but I'd gotten help, I've finally learned how to make friends in under a year, I'm enjoying life much more than in the pst, and more.

2016 wasn't shit for everybody. I'm looking forward to next year so I don't have to hear about it.

Randall is right, we're gonna be nostalgic for how great 2016 is once we get halfway through 2017.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:40 am UTC

Flumble wrote:
orthogon wrote:you make good arguments, you back them up with true facts, and you present yourself as a decent, honest, statesmanlike person of integrity.

Where does one find such politics? Liechtenstein? Bhutan? Uruguay?

I take your point: what I meant was that those were the rules; of course politicians didn't actually conform to them all at all times, but if you were caught and exposed breaking one of them, that was bad news for your campaign and/or career.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

VeryPeeved

Postby VeryPeeved » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:36 pm UTC

come on, 2016 was awesome, we had TAY, "meme terrorism", the beginning of the end of fake news, trump giving an epic dressing down to said fake news purveyors, some epic moments in trolling from people like sargon, feminism continuing to overtake parody... all around, it's been a pretty awesome year for the everyman.

Tallest Skil

Postby Tallest Skil » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:53 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Speaking of Uruguay: I'm hearing good things about the country. It’s argued to be the safest, wealthiest, modernest and egalitarianest country of South America and they're allegedly begging for immigrants. Can anyone enlighten me about Uruguay? Would it be a nice place to e.g. stay for a couple of years with a work visa?

You were quite subtle about it, but you’re still nothing more than this caricature.

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:40 am UTC

Q: If foxes guard henhouses, what do jackals guard?

A: EPA, OSHA, DOD, etc.

jlous

Postby jlous » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:57 pm UTC

TheGhost wrote:I absolutely agree with StarGazer71. The biased mainstream media has been ingraining the idea that a Trump presidency is equivalent to the apocalypse in the minds of unsuspecting children and sheeple like Randall. It's sad to see xkcd becoming more and more Randall's platform to espouse his political views.

Bzzt! You used "sheeple". Thanks for playing.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:41 pm UTC

Tallest Skil wrote:
Flumble wrote:Speaking of Uruguay: I'm hearing good things about the country. It’s argued to be the safest, wealthiest, modernest and egalitarianest country of South America and they're allegedly begging for immigrants. Can anyone enlighten me about Uruguay? Would it be a nice place to e.g. stay for a couple of years with a work visa?

You were quite subtle about it, but you’re still nothing more than this caricature.

Spoiler:

Although I wonder if these white people would be considered white in the US, since they're not of Northern-European descent. I thought mixed Southern-European/American descent was considered non-white in the US.

Otherwise the Uruguay wikipedia page shows a lot of similarities to the Netherlands (and possibly some Nordic countries/Estonia): small country, mostly plains in a river delta with a highest peak of 510m in a temperate climate. Proportional representation in parliament. Limited religious affiliation. And it even contains a large seaport.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:43 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:Although I wonder if these white people would be considered white in the US, since they're not of Northern-European descent. I thought mixed Southern-European/American descent was considered non-white in the US.

It's complicatedTM.

"Hispanic" isn't considered a separate race, per se, but it is a similar category (an "ethnicity"). The last census here in Minneapolis gave, per Wikipedia:

White: 63.8% (Non-Hispanic 60.3%)
Black or African American: 18.6%
American Indian: 2.0%
Asian: 5.6% (1.9% Hmong, 0.9% Chinese, 0.7% Indian, 0.6% Korean, 0.4% Vietnamese, 0.3% Thai, 0.3% Laotian, 0.2% Filipino, 0.1% Japanese, 0.2% Other Asian)
Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander: 0.1%
Other: 5.6%
Multiracial: 4.4%
Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 10.5%[61] (7.0% Mexican, 1.3% Ecuadorian, 0.4% Puerto Rican, 0.3% Guatemalan, 0.2% Salvadoran, 1.3% Other Latino)

All but the last line sum to 100%, so if you're "Hispanic", you're "a Hispanic member of some other race", even if that's "other".

So yeah, a "Hispanic" person is sometimes treated as their own race, sometimes as white, and sometimes as "a minority" (which works out to "not white or Asian" for most racial-sorting purposes here)... and never mind that a we sort all the "Native Americans" into 3 or 4 categories depending on where they lived, even though they're racially similar people, and some can be Hispanic and some can't. And someone who moved here straight from the Iberian peninsula can call themselves "Hispanic"; it's not entirely a synonym for "person from south of Texas". Someone from Italy or Greece couldn't, though, so it's not even a north/south (pale/less-pale?) split on the European side. And sometimes it's just Spain (and Spanish-speaking American countries) and not Portugal (and Portuguese-speaking ones). It's definitely 99% politics and 1% genetics.

(Per the silly meme, most USAans would probably consider Uruguay "a Hispanic/brown country" and not "a white country".)

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:21 pm UTC

VeryPeeved wrote:come on, 2016 was awesome, we had TAY, "meme terrorism", the beginning of the end of fake news, trump giving an epic dressing down to said fake news purveyors, some epic moments in trolling from people like sargon, feminism continuing to overtake parody... all around, it's been a pretty awesome year for the everyman.

Shut up dear, adults are talking.
Attoc dna Sublab evol eht teews secoiv fo eht slrug

CelticNot

Postby CelticNot » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:29 pm UTC

qvxb wrote:I'm going to perform at Uncle Donald's inauguration in January. I can't decide between "Another Brick in the Wall" and "You're No Good".

I vote for the KMFDM version of "You're No Good".
This sig for rent. Rates negotiable.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:33 pm UTC

CelticNot wrote:

I vote for the KMFDM version of "You're No Good".

Rebecca Ferguson has said yes, but only if she can sing Strange Fruit (source)

Stargazer71

Postby Stargazer71 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:58 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:
VeryPeeved wrote:come on, 2016 was awesome, we had TAY, "meme terrorism", the beginning of the end of fake news, trump giving an epic dressing down to said fake news purveyors, some epic moments in trolling from people like sargon, feminism continuing to overtake parody... all around, it's been a pretty awesome year for the everyman.

Modern liberalism in a nutshell. Free discourse is too much work. Work to silence dissent and move forward.

Flumble

Postby Flumble » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:08 pm UTC

Tallest Skil wrote:You were quite subtle about it, but you’re still nothing more than this caricature.

My express purpose of asking about Uruguay was to divert the attention from (US) politics, to avoid baseless and polarizing claims, like yours. That certainly backfired. :shock:

I'm interested in spending a few years in different countries to get a taste of different culture and climate. You know, like a holiday, except you work and live there. Of course I'm going for a high-HDI country, because I'm used to good infrastructure and a trustworthy justice/police system. Uruguay is one of the countries of interest, together with Japan, Canada, Slovenia, Malaysia, Estonia, Australia and possibly others.
Like PinkShinyRose says, Uruguay is basically a warmer Netherlands. That's not terribly helpful towards 'getting a taste of different culture and climate', but still, something must be different when the population density is about 25x smaller.
Anyway, as implied, I'm currently in the Netherlands, not the US. And I like it here, but I'm in for a bit of travelling.

TLDR: you're wrong about my reasons and my situation and you should feel bad for behaving so ignorant*.

*does English have a good pejorative for being negligent/rash/short-sighted/careless/childish/unthinking?

TheGhost

Postby TheGhost » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:24 am UTC

jlous wrote:
TheGhost wrote:I absolutely agree with StarGazer71. The biased mainstream media has been ingraining the idea that a Trump presidency is equivalent to the apocalypse in the minds of unsuspecting children and sheeple like Randall. It's sad to see xkcd becoming more and more Randall's platform to espouse his political views.

Bzzt! You used "sheeple". Thanks for playing.

Truth hurts, buddy.
NP= NewPage
np= newpix

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:45 am UTC

Stargazer71 wrote:Modern liberalism in a nutshell. Free discourse is too much work. Work to silence dissent and move forward.

Who's being silenced? I'm just laughing at their pathetic trolling. You too cupcake. :lol:

ETA: And you TheGhost. "Sheeple" LMAO what a precious snowflake you are.

Second edit: I certainly see no need to take seriously anyone who mentions that imbecile Sargon of Akkad with apparent approval.

Stargazer71

Postby Stargazer71 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:06 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:
Stargazer71 wrote:Modern liberalism in a nutshell. Free discourse is too much work. Work to silence dissent and move forward.

Who's being silenced? I'm just laughing at their pathetic trolling. You too cupcake. :lol:

ETA: And you TheGhost. "Sheeple" LMAO what a precious snowflake you are.

Second edit: I certainly see no need to take seriously anyone who mentions that imbecile Sargon of Akkad with apparent approval.

Your attitude simply exemplifies the way that liberals argue. That's all.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:13 pm UTC

Stargazer71 wrote:Your attitude simply exemplifies the way that liberals argue. That's all.

[citation needed]
Your attitude exemplifies libertarians. You completely lack reading comprehension.

Again, I'm not arguing with you I'm laughing at you. That's all.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:30 pm UTC

Mambrino wrote:Well, this year, I started to take different forms of Doomsday argument a tiny bit more seriously.

All population amounts level off and oscillate around carrying capacity eventually.

There's no reason to extrapolate exponential growth indefinitely. It's super normal in all kinds of growth initially, but it invariably tapers off at some point. Seriously, a lot of work has been put into studying growth patterns, none of this should be at all surprising.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:32 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:*does English have a good pejorative for being negligent/rash/short-sighted/careless/childish/unthinking?
"Trump supporter."

Stargazer71 wrote:
markfiend wrote:
Modern liberalism in a nutshell. Free discourse is too much work. Work to silence dissent and move forward.
After fifteen years of the same discredited, specious arguments being used to stall discussions of climate change and prevent us doing anything about it, shooting the next generation of idiots really does look like a wonderful idea, and by "idiots" I don't mean "people who believe that details on which CNN, the BBC, the Independent, al-Jazeera, Nature, New Scientist, Scientific American, Harvard, Yale, Oxford, Cambridge and the IPCC all agree with each other but not with Trump are more likely to be true than things Trump says that go against all available information from them."
I don't know and have no opinion.

Flumble

Postby Flumble » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:42 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:
Flumble wrote:*does English have a good pejorative for being negligent/rash/short-sighted/careless/childish/unthinking?
"Trump supporter."

Kind of, but I'm looking for the English word, not the American one. :wink:

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:47 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
Sableagle wrote:
"Trump supporter."

Kind of, but I'm looking for the English word, not the American one. :wink:

Brexiteer

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”