1678: "Recent Searches"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Linux0s

1678: "Recent Searches"

Postby Linux0s » Mon May 09, 2016 1:35 pm UTC

Title Text: autoexec code posted by verified twitter users

Fortunately Windows 10 is secretly downloading something that will help.
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

The Moomin

Re: 1678: "Recent Searches"

Postby The Moomin » Mon May 09, 2016 1:37 pm UTC

Distinct lack of velociraptor related searches.

Has the danger passed?
I possibly don't pay enough attention to what's going on.
I help make architect's dreams flesh.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Mon May 09, 2016 1:42 pm UTC

"average turning rate of an unladen adult velociraptor"

I have no idea why my work time estimates are always wildly off...
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

davidhbrown

Postby davidhbrown » Mon May 09, 2016 2:24 pm UTC

I particularly like the "cron job to update crontab." Reminded me of when I told Genie Timeline Pro -- a continuous backup application -- to include my entire user folder. Turns out, that's where it stores its logs. Had a bit of trouble finishing the backup.

Mokurai

Postby Mokurai » Mon May 09, 2016 2:32 pm UTC

I once put a computer into a state in which it could neither be turned on nor off.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon May 09, 2016 2:44 pm UTC

Mokurai wrote:I once put a computer into a state in which it could neither be turned on nor off.

Uh-huh. So it got its power directly from the cosmic background radiation? :twisted: :twisted:

Oh, wait, I know - it was in the state of Oklahoma, and they passed a law against changing the on/off condition of any computer because think of the children!
:mrgreen:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon May 09, 2016 2:56 pm UTC

Having just explained my childhood misconceptions of large named numbers in another comic explanation thread1, the Cron updating of Cron puts me in mind of the idea of a Cron job that reset its own timing to wait twice as long until its next occurence, each time it runs.

For why..?

...I'll tell you in a dozen iterations. ;)

1 <prefix>illion=power(10,3*2<prefix>) in a mixed modern parlance, "mi-"==1, thousand being zero in this context.

AlfaLyr

Postby AlfaLyr » Mon May 09, 2016 3:07 pm UTC

"Opposite of safe mode" xDD
1060 nm : a scientist girl life!

speising

Postby speising » Mon May 09, 2016 3:20 pm UTC

AlfaLyr wrote:"Opposite of safe mode" xDD

i guess that would be "god mode"? (although god mode in games makes you invulnerable, so very safe indeed)

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Mon May 09, 2016 3:43 pm UTC

Developer mode. ;-D
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon May 09, 2016 4:34 pm UTC

speising wrote:

i guess that would be "god mode"? (although god mode in games makes you invulnerable, so very safe indeed)

Funny you should suggest that, since the Windows7 GodMode folder has been found to provide a few security holes.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon May 09, 2016 5:38 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Funny you should suggest that, since the Windows7 GodMode folder has been found to provide a few security holes.
Surely not... Vulnerabilities in a mainstream Microsoft product? Unheard of!

*swoon*

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon May 09, 2016 6:13 pm UTC

Echo244 wrote:"average turning rate of an unladen adult velociraptor"

African or EuropeanGondwanan or Pangean?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Wildcard
Candlestick!

Postby Wildcard » Mon May 09, 2016 7:55 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:...the Cron updating of Cron puts me in mind of the idea of a Cron job that reset its own timing to wait twice as long until its next occurence, each time it runs.

That sounds fun. Seems like it might be easier with "at," though. A self-modifying shell script whose last line calls `at -f "$0" "Now + $t minutes"` should do it.

Edit: This works, although you have to hardcode the file path:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
printf %s\\n '/^t=/!awk -F= '\''{print "t=" 2*$NF}'\' x | ex /path/to/this/file
t=1
at -f /path/to/this/file "now + $t minutes"
There's no such thing as a funny sig.

Locoluis

Postby Locoluis » Mon May 09, 2016 10:20 pm UTC

speising wrote:

It's not the same. "Safe mode" in this context would be more like: "safe from (most) problems introduced by installed drivers and user programs".

"God mode" would be: "Unrestrained from any system-imposed constraint, able to wreak havoc on the whole operating system and possibly, through direct user access to the hardware at ring 0, to destroy the computer itself from the inside, either by accident or malice."
Sueños del Sur - A webcomic about four siblings, their family, friends, adventures and dreams.
http://sds.lgm.cl/

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Mon May 09, 2016 10:43 pm UTC

Using recursive regexes as supported by perl, it is indeed possible to construct a regex to match EBNF:

^\s*(?:(\(\*.*?\*\)\s*)*[A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9_]*(?:\s+[A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9_]*)*\s*=\s*(((((?1)*(?:[1-9][0-9]*\s*\*\s*)?(?1)*(?:[A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9_]*(?:\s+[A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9_]*)*|(?:\[|\(\/)\s*(?2)\s*(?:\]|\/\))|(?:\{|\(:)\s*(?2)\s*(?:\}|:\))|\(\s*(?2)\s*\)|'[^']+'|"[^"]+"|\?[^?]*\?|))(?:\s*(?1)*-\s*(?5))?)(?:\s*(?1)*,\s*(?4))*)(?:\s*(?1)*[|\/!]\s*(?3))*)\s*(?1)*[;.]\s*(?1)*)*\s*$

Or expanded for readability ( :P ) and commented:

/^\s*
    (?: # Rule
        (\(\*.*?\*\)\s*)* # Comment (?1)
        [A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9_]*(?:\s+[A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9_]*)* # Identifier
        \s*=\s*
        ( # Definition List (?2)
            ( # Single Definition (?3)
                ( # Term With Optional Exception (?4)
                    ( # Term Without Exception (?5)
                        (?1)*(?:[1-9][0-9]*\s*\*\s*)? # Numerical Repetition
                        (?1)*(?: # Syntactic Primary
                            [A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9_]*(?:\s+[A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9_]*)* # Identifier
                            |(?:\[|\(\/)\s*(?2)\s*(?:\]|\/\)) # Option group
                            |(?:\{|\(:)\s*(?2)\s*(?:\}|:\)) # Repetition group
                            |\(\s*(?2)\s*\) # Group
                            |'[^']+' # Single quoted string
                            |"[^"]+" # Double quoted string
                            |\?[^?]*\? # Special sequence
                            | # Empty string
                        )
                    )(?:\s*(?1)*-\s*(?5))?
                )(?:\s*(?1)*,\s*(?4))*
            )(?:\s*(?1)*[|\/!]\s*(?3))*
        )
        \s*(?1)*[;.]\s*(?1)*
    )*
\s*$/x;

I don't guarantee it correct, but it works for the few snippets from the I tested it on (mostly from the wikipedia page).

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Tue May 10, 2016 12:37 am UTC

My Recent Searches:

smallest number divisible by 1-12

skyrim can you marry serana

skyrim console code for revealing all map locations

can you have too much protein

translate Finnish into English

skyrim enchanting glitch

is abc the checkout getting a new season

is japan population dropping

how do you get rid of upgrade windows 10
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 10, 2016 7:32 am UTC

My recent searches:

How to view google search history

And it looks like I switched that feature off, so I don't have any actual history available. Oops. But it's probably mostly related to python or chemotherapy.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue May 10, 2016 8:21 am UTC

Most recent search: do people often search in full sentences?

Which got me 0 useful results, so I'll ask here: do you often/ever type or say a full sentence to a search engine?
I'm still used to searching by keywords, but one of my housemates is adamant about using whole sentences; both because voice-control needs to parse sentences anyway and it's likely that others searched for the same sentence before and bumped the right result to the top.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue May 10, 2016 10:15 am UTC

Flumble wrote:Most recent search: do people often search in full sentences?

Which got me 0 useful results, so I'll ask here: do you often/ever type or say a full sentence to a search engine?
I'm still used to searching by keywords, but one of my housemates is adamant about using whole sentences; both because voice-control needs to parse sentences anyway and it's likely that others searched for the same sentence before and bumped the right result to the top.

For sure my search strategy has gradually co-evolved as Google has got cleverer. I used to use keywords and do things like putting them in decreasing order of importance, but you get the increasing impression that the search engine is doing its best to understand what you're asking, so it makes more sense to ask it in English. Certainly it seems that one way or another it's recognising the relationships between the words of the query, and presumably this process is helped by adding in prepositions, conjunctions etc. It's probably even worth including words like "the", which Google used to tell you it was ignoring: although it's almost certainly ignored for the first stage of finding pages, there are presumably stages of filtering and ranking during which the semantics of the sentence are taken into account. Also, even without quotes, it will favour pages in which the phrase appears verbatim. So, for example, the distinction between taking a piss and taking the piss is important and the two phrases will return different results (admission: I haven't actually tried!). All this means that I tend to end up typing in complete phrases or sentence fragments.

Aiwendil

Postby Aiwendil » Tue May 10, 2016 11:06 am UTC

orthogon wrote:

<pedant>But Gondwana was part of Pangaea. You must mean Gondwanan or Laurasian.</pedant>

speising

Postby speising » Tue May 10, 2016 11:47 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
Flumble wrote:Most recent search: do people often search in full sentences?

For sure my search strategy has gradually co-evolved as Google has got cleverer. I used to use keywords and do things like putting them in decreasing order of importance, but you get the increasing impression that the search engine is doing its best to understand what you're asking, so it makes more sense to ask it in English. Certainly it seems that one way or another it's recognising the relationships between the words of the query, and presumably this process is helped by adding in prepositions, conjunctions etc. It's probably even worth including words like "the", which Google used to tell you it was ignoring: although it's almost certainly ignored for the first stage of finding pages, there are presumably stages of filtering and ranking during which the semantics of the sentence are taken into account. Also, even without quotes, it will favour pages in which the phrase appears verbatim. So, for example, the distinction between taking a piss and taking the piss is important and the two phrases will return different results (admission: I haven't actually tried!). All this means that I tend to end up typing in complete phrases or sentence fragments.

a.JPG
a piss
the.JPG
the piss

different, but still not what i searched for...
that's what i hate about the pseudo intelligence of google. often, you can't get it to search for what you want, it insists on its own interpretation of it, like "did you mean?", but mandatory.

(in other news: TIL what "taking the piss" means.)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue May 10, 2016 12:20 pm UTC

Aiwendil wrote:
orthogon wrote:

<pedant>But Gondwana was part of Pangaea. You must mean Gondwanan or Laurasian.</pedant>

Thanks. I expected to be wrong by a billion years or so about the configuration of the continents when the velociraptors were around. But my fail was worse than I thought...

speising wrote:[search result images]

different, but still not what i searched for...
that's what i hate about the pseudo intelligence of google. often, you can't get it to search for what you want, it insists on its own interpretation of it, like "did you mean?", but mandatory.

(in other news: TIL what "taking the piss" means.)

The wrong is truly with me today. To take a piss is simply to urinate, so I thought the two would give quite different results. As you say, it's kind of weird that the results are different - so it doesn't ignore a/the - but not in a meaningful way.

SCSimmons

Postby SCSimmons » Tue May 10, 2016 4:57 pm UTC

davidhbrown wrote:I particularly like the "cron job to update crontab."

That was my favorite too. It was the one that jumped out as something that one might chance to think of as a solution to some sort of problem, and conceivably barrel on ahead without considering that the solution could create problems that may not themselves have solutions ...

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue May 10, 2016 10:16 pm UTC

SCSimmons wrote:
davidhbrown wrote:I particularly like the "cron job to update crontab."

That was my favorite too. It was the one that jumped out as something that one might chance to think of as a solution to some sort of problem, and conceivably barrel on ahead without considering that the solution could create problems that may not themselves have solutions ...
There's always a solution, at least until you're trying to kill kill commands spawned to kill kills.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 11, 2016 2:58 am UTC

Many of the things I search for are question titles on Stack Exchange (or similar), so full sentences are usually appropriate and useful.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed May 11, 2016 4:49 am UTC

Not a single velociraptor in sight....

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed May 11, 2016 6:20 am UTC

orthogon wrote:The wrong is truly with me today. To take a piss is simply to urinate, so I thought the two would give quite different results. As you say, it's kind of weird that the results are different - so it doesn't ignore a/the - but not in a meaningful way.

My confidence in Google's semantic cleverness was somewhat reasserted by searching for "the batman" (sans quotes) vs. just "batman" and seeing that the fairly minor 2004 series incarnation was indeed prioritized in the first search and not the second. But yeah, I would have expected it to successfully distinguish between the two very different takings of pisses. I suppose that "taking" and "piss" are low-frequency-enough words that the wealth of internet resources available for taking the piss are invoked even if the article is inexact.

For reference, Bing fares not significantly better on this pair. = .
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

sfmans

Postby sfmans » Wed May 11, 2016 8:32 am UTC

If you're in, or have access to a proxy server that convinces the BBC that you are in, the UK, there's just been an interesting documentary on Radio 4 about the ethical and societal impacts of the Google search algorithm,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07875zc#in=collection:p021gdts

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed May 11, 2016 10:14 am UTC

BBC Radio works outside the UK and its IP blocks - it's just the TV programs you can't access. That apparently doesn't stop the mobile iPlayer from being a horribly broken piece of shit for everyone, but ... yeah. Going to give this a listen when I can get it to work, but I'm not too impressed with paranoia as an opening premise.

Tangental connection to the story going around about Facebook curating their news "trends", at least in terms of opaque biases in an apparently transparent system.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed May 11, 2016 12:16 pm UTC

Whadya know, I'm listening to my pre-record of that programme right this moment... Yup, I'm multitasking! Ears and eyes attuned to different media.

It's not a hatchett piece. Might not satisfy paid-up Googlephiles, and neither will extreme Googlephobes think it's represented their views, so probably fairly balanced in its mere half-hour treatment of the subject.

Copper Bezel wrote:apparently doesn't stop the mobile iPlayer from being a horribly broken piece of shit for everyone,
I don't like the loss of the "dowload/don't download" toggle switch (to start/stop whethere queued items are being sought or left queued, perhaps because my current WiFi wouldn't appreciate the streaming) having disappeared, an update or three back of tbe Android App. A big loss that I haven't managed to contact anyone to complain about, yet.

But it's not 'horribly broken' for me, most of the time. The only issues I currently have is (long and offer-topic)
Spoiler:
(apart from corrupted/terminated downloads because it's been grabbing a download and the network drops/thows a hissy fit, which happens with other media aggregators where you don t have use on/off download control, which can be worked around) is an oversensitivity to the tablet clock being corrected, as it needs to be every month or so, at which point it seems to presume I've been trying to fool the expiry mechanism (like you used to be able to, if you had just half an hour to listen to an old, hour-long programme) and seems to invalidate every single download.

(It then crashes, on trying to play anything, which is probably not the intended behaiour. Nor that I need to make manual notes of everything that I delete, so I can repopulate the downloads from scratch to get back to where I was.)

So I just leave the clock until I've got no/few programmes downloaded, and never when offline and out of wifi contact.

Maybe I'm lucky. - er.
But, if he hasn't already been mentioned on these forums, while I'm here can I just recommend the works of John Finnemore,. I was relistening to his Souvenir Programme, a few minutes ago. It is currently partially available (three episodes from series 3, as I type) and I think he's probably got an audience amongst xkcders. The Radio Randall, in many ways..?

Edit: Strange - "Search found 1 match: Finnemore", and that's this message. I would have bet money that he's known around here. Unless the Search is still a bit off. (This thread is not on my Egosearch...)

Myself

Postby Myself » Tue May 17, 2016 5:28 pm UTC

clock speed jumper sample rate

This has lots of real-world applications. First, due to the way regulatory agencies measure electromagnetic interference, it's advantageous to actually vary the clock speed within a certain range, which spreads out the interference over more frequencies. It's called "spread-spectrum clock" and has been popular for several years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_sp ... generation

Second, by purposefully varying the clock speed, you could surreptitiously transmit information without additional hardware, assuming the receiver was able to pick up the interference. Proof of concept plays music over a standard AM radio by using leakage from a VGA cable: http://www.erikyyy.de/tempest/

Third, way back in the 486 era, I discovered my desktop didn't crash if I moved the clock jumper while it was turned on. It was a 40MHz chip so it had a fan, but if I clocked it down to 8MHz (the lowest speed selectable by moving a single jumper), it ran so cool the fan was totally unnecessary. So for most of my BBSing, I'd run super slow and unplug the fan, which both lowered power consumption and quieted the system significantly. Also at 8MHz, some harmonic of the system clock was audible as interference in my FM radio while tuned to a weak station that happened to be my favorite. So if the modem was still downloading, the UART ISR was firing periodically, and I could hear that alongside the music. Turn off the monitor and take a nap. When the download would finish, the modem would go idle, the interrupts got less regular, the noise would change, and I knew to turn the monitor back on and handle my downloaded file. Easy peasy, dynamic clocking and EMI-based system performance monitoring in 1994. :)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”