1674: "Adult"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Linux0s

1674: "Adult"

Postby Linux0s » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:34 pm UTC

Title Text: (1) That shopping cart is full of AirHeads, and (2) I died at 41 from what the AirHeads company spokesperson called 'probably natural causes.'

(3) Turns out the will was actually a Wii extended warranty.
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

Flumble
Yes Man

Re: 1674: "Adult"

Postby Flumble » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:57 pm UTC

Is there a joke I'm missing?

The stage in which you're still buying groceries, sofas and a (new) mortgage is a great time to write up a will, I guess. You're likely to have possessions and stuff by then and your death is ~Erlang distributed. At least a first draft, you can always add new sections.

Sjö

Postby Sjö » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:58 pm UTC

I had to google AirHeads since I had no idea what they are. Those things in the shopping cart are awfully small for motorbikes, aren't they?
We barely understand anything but that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:04 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Is there a joke I'm missing?

The joke is that some people experience a sense of shock at their own ability to accomplish basic functions.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

HES

Postby HES » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:06 pm UTC

Buying a fridge-freezer was my "I guess I'm an adult now" moment. The fact that it's full of ice cream is irrelevant.
He/Him/His Image

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:15 pm UTC

Hmmm. I am reminded of Grown Ups... is the "Being of sound mind and body" bit invalidated if followed by "Bury me under a mole of playpen balls"?
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:27 pm UTC

I'm more in that category of "This is not my beautiful house. How did I get here" .

And of "I may have had a lot of birthdays but I still view myself as younger than all those genuine adults I work with and play with."

Yeah, I've got a major brain disconnect between calendar age and self-image age. Typical physics/engineer guy :mrgreen:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

ducttapeavenger

Postby ducttapeavenger » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:29 pm UTC

I just closed on a mortgage refinance the other day. And several years ago, this similar comic was posted the day that I bought a house.

I'm convinced that Randall has a credit alert set up on me.

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:09 pm UTC

I was immediately reminded of 616, but going back to have a look he seems to have matured a bit now.

https://xkcd.com/616/

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:45 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:I'm more in that category of "This is not my beautiful house. How did I get here".

I'm more in the category of "Where the hell is my beautiful house? Where the hell is my beautiful wife?"

I mean yeah, I have a job making more money than 75% of individual Americans and I'm the "head of a department" and I technically own the building I live in and have been dating the same woman for four years... but that pay is still less than the median household in my home state, my "department" consists of me and some outsourced guys in India, the "building" I own is on rented land and has a single room, so the woman I'm dating can't live with me and we can't get married... and I walk around the goddamn block seeing all these happy couples living in real houses together with their kids (not that we want kids, but it's not like we could afford them) despite looking like they're fucking white trash hicks or cholos who wouldn't even get a callback after a job interview and would blow their meager pay on drugs and alcohol and stupid bullshit if they got it... and I'm working my ass off and living like I'm still in college and saving everything I can and doing everything right and I still can't "adult" like they do? What the fuck is happening!?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:05 pm UTC

Sjö wrote:I had to google AirHeads since I had no idea what they are. Those things in the shopping cart are awfully small for motorbikes, aren't they?

In a grocery context, Airheads would be a brand of fruit-flavored taffy.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:01 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I mean yeah, I have a job making more money than 75% of individual Americans and I'm the "head of a department" and I technically own the building I live in and have been dating the same woman for four years... but that pay is still less than the median household in my home state, my "department" consists of me and some outsourced guys in India, the "building" I own is on rented land and has a single room, so the woman I'm dating can't live with me and we can't get married...

I know you've talked before about how you can't/won't leave California, but dang, this is why I don't think I'd ever move there. Out here in flyover country, my home expenses (mortgage, property tax, insurance, utilities, internets) are well below $1500/month. That's for a modest 2BR house on 0.5 acre with a dozen large trees*, in a reasonably quiet, average neighborhood (not rich, not poor), 5 miles from the center of the city. Not saying this to boast, just to say, the two of you should think really hard about exactly how important it is to stay in California.

* Large meaning 25+ ft tall. Oh, and one (smaller) tree is a mulberry, so I guess antioxidants are included.

ObComic: Hmmm, I got nothin'.

humanalien

Postby humanalien » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:15 am UTC

I am not getting the joke either. Especially the part where the person who is excited about the groceries, the sofa and the mortgage is not the same person who's excited about writing a will...

Oh. I think I just got it! In the last panel, his will is being read aloud. After he died. Wow, I can be slow sometimes.

I discovered a distance between two points that's shorter than a straight line! It's called a straight line segment.

http://www.abbyandnorma.com
http://www.erikahammerschmidt.com

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:23 am UTC

I had to read the comic over to get that nuance as well, so you're not alone.
Perhaps it might have been clearer with quotation marks around Cueball's will-text in the last panel.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:31 am UTC

I'm pretty sure the gag is just a reference to the weird epidemic of younger adults, in the US at least, (including my self, 31 years and a significant portion of my psyche's pretty sure it's still '03) suffering from a strange, accomplishment-immune sense of infantalization.

I read some rogue article just yesterday on it, suggesting that it's caused in part by having to put off major life milestones due to towering student debt and a weak job market (you don't just go out and "get a job" anymore, the process has been rendered far more annoying), plus a kinda high frequency of continuing to or going back to live with parents. Nothing for making one feel like a kid than being treated like one, or required to frequently interrupt activities to see to some unscheduled chore.

Of course, those can't be the whole source of it, as it persists through homebuying, marriage, and parenthood, to the unending bafflement of the sufferers in the cases I've observed. The article posits videogames might be involved, but that's just painting a whole entertainment medium with one brush.

But yes, weird sense of not having grown-up causing dissonance with contrary evidence and activities, as depicted? Ever-more common, for reasons.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:45 am UTC

Archgeek wrote:I read some rogue article just yesterday on it, suggesting that it's caused in part by having to put off major life milestones due to towering student debt and a weak job market
I think it's due to the way society infantilizes all of us. Weather stations don't tell us the weather, they tell us what to wear, and to use public transportation (because it's raining - driving is unsafe!) More and more, things that kids commonly used to do are being perceived (and legislated) as being too dangerous for children. Some of it is justified as the country becomes more crowded and urban, but some of it is driven by insurance and the idea that somebody else is responsible for Bad Things.

If kids grow up unsupervised, they become self sufficient. If they survive.

If kids grow up supervised, they never have that chance. They become insecure when they're alone

Overly broad strokes, of course, but the right direction.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

DanAxtell

Postby DanAxtell » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:24 am UTC

XKCD 1674 is an apt retelling of an every-generation phenomenon from my POV IMHO. The general idea got a name in 1978: “impostor syndrome”. My source is earlier: my beloved bedtime story book, The Tall Book of Make Believe, a very American book, whimsical in every dimension. It’s a mid-century anthology and celebration of childhood with complementary mocking of adulthood. This book infiltrated many progressive households when it was published in 1950. My first child was subjected to my family’s tattered first edition and then it was reprinted in 1992 just in time for my second child, born at the peak of the Baby Boom echo in 1990. Id est, the reprinting was no coincidence.

The included authors are mostly women (the compiler, Jane Werner, clearly understood how to make the book a success among children). At the risk of redundancy, I note that the authors are mostly underappreciated today. Marchette Chute is the underappreciated poet/scholar who, on page 71, taught me a small truth about grownupness:
When I grow up I’ll carry a stick
And be very dignified,
I’ll have a watch that will really tick,
My house will be tall and made of brick,
And no one will guess that it’s just a trick,
And really myself inside.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:00 am UTC

ucim wrote:Weather stations don't tell us the weather, they tell us what to wear, and to use public transportation (because it's raining - driving is unsafe!)

Had to read this twice. Thought you meant this until I realised you meant this... ;)

humanalien

Postby humanalien » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:54 pm UTC

DanAxtell wrote:my beloved bedtime story book, The Tall Book of Make Believe
[/quote]

I remember that book! Loved it. I'm glad there are others who are keeping those underappreciated authors' memory alive.

And I agree that being surprised at actually being an adult is, to some degree, a timeless phenomenon. Perhaps it strengthens in times when children are sheltered and treated as children until a later age, but it probably exists in every time... because growth is gradual, and there is no real moment when your mind shifts all at once to feeling like an adult.

Maybe we've just recently entered a time where it's socially acceptable to admit to the feeling.

I discovered a distance between two points that's shorter than a straight line! It's called a straight line segment.

http://www.abbyandnorma.com
http://www.erikahammerschmidt.com

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:12 pm UTC

Psst, we're all just pretending to be adults. Some of us are just better at hiding it than others.

armandoalvarez

Postby armandoalvarez » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:14 pm UTC

humanalien wrote:
And I agree that being surprised at actually being an adult is, to some degree, a timeless phenomenon. Perhaps it strengthens in times when children are sheltered and treated as children until a later age, but it probably exists in every time... because growth is gradual, and there is no real moment when your mind shifts all at once to feeling like an adult.

Maybe we've just recently entered a time where it's socially acceptable to admit to the feeling.

I don't think it can be timeless. From the discovery of agriculture until about six generations ago, the vast, vast majority of the population were agricultural laborers. And in those societies, you're generally working in the fields as soon as you can handle a tool, and after that, you're only talking about gradually increasing your responsibilities. How much of a shock could it be that you're sowing, weeding, reaping, mending clothes, sharpening tools, etc., when you've been doing that literally as long as you can remember? I would think there might be a universal shocking transition to "Holy cow, I can't believe I'm a parent, responsible for another life!" or the transition of puberty (and that's why there are widespread rituals for those transitions, but I don't know that the feeling of "I can't believe I'm trusted to make adult decisions" is that universal. And in many, many societies, there was no expectation of moving out and providing for yourself- the extended family lived together and provided for each other. Again, less of a transition. You do see similar sentiments among the nobility throughout history. They usually had a pretty sudden transition from being educated for a role to suddenly having great responsibilities.

Now the industrial revolution has resulted in many more children being provided for through childhood, receiving formal educations, and then (comparatively suddenly) being expected to be productive members of society. However, for the past few decades, I would agree that it's probably more that it's increasingly socially acceptable to voice this opinion.

faunablues

Postby faunablues » Sun May 01, 2016 2:09 am UTC

armandoalvarez wrote:
I don't think it can be timeless... Now the industrial revolution has resulted in many more children being provided for through childhood, receiving formal educations, and then (comparatively suddenly) being expected to be productive members of society. However, for the past few decades, I would agree that it's probably more that it's increasingly socially acceptable to voice this opinion.

I agree in general. It is somewhat unique to modern times, but more like industrial times and not a "kids these days" thing. I think it's more OK to voice this opinion because it's more easily heard (internet) and less pressure to be 'proper' and whatnot.

It's somewhat amusing that other posters attributed the sentiment in this comic to more of the 'infantilization of today's generation', because I hardly think anyone in their mid 20s to 30s these days hasn't, at one point, though "oh shit i'm an adult now" about something - whether it's being a parent, buying a house, having to figure out what's important in buying a mattress now that you don't have to look for the absolute cheapest one, hiring someone to do your taxes for the first time, buying a car on your own, etc. There's lots of financial/legal firsts that make you realize how responsible you're supposed to be and how "old" you are now, even though you feel like the same person, realizing there is no clear mark where you suddenly feel like an adult.

Granted, if you feel that way, all you need to do is see some people younger than you/teenagers... and you quickly realize how different you've become over time.

addams

Postby addams » Sun May 01, 2016 2:49 am UTC

humanalien wrote:
DanAxtell wrote:my beloved bedtime story book, The Tall Book of Make Believe

I remember that book! Loved it. I'm glad there are others who are keeping those underappreciated authors' memory alive.

This is the first I have heard of The Tall Book of Make Believe.
I'm so glad you two brought it forward.
http://www.vintagechildrensbooksmykidlo ... lieve.html

I love well done children's books.
That is the work of good adults.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Draco18s

Postby Draco18s » Sun May 01, 2016 5:35 am UTC

I've caught myself doing this. Hell, almost any time I go to the store I'm like, "Look at me...shopping." I still can't resist tipping the little mini-carts up on their rear wheels as I trolly it around (which, to be frank, improves the steering tremendously: those front wheels rattle themselves loose and make for poor handling).

I bought a car last week too and my brain couldn't quite comprehend that fact.

Well, what it couldn't quite understand was why I was buying a 1997 Honda CRV rather than spending almost as much money on fixing my 2003 Nissan Maxima. Thing is, the Maxima needs a new catalytic converter and it's got 192,000 miles on it. Odds are its going to be a pile of junk in a year or two, new catalytic converter or not. The CRV on the other hand is in amazing shape for its age. And I have good first-hand experience that Honda builds cars to last; the Accord I practically grew up in died after 300,000 miles (and even then only after being in three accidents, the last of which rendered the car undrivable).

James in Toronto

Postby James in Toronto » Sun May 01, 2016 11:50 pm UTC

DanAxtell wrote:url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marchette_Chute]Marchette Chute[/url] is the underappreciated poet/scholar who, on page 71, taught me a small truth about grownupness:
When I grow up I’ll carry a stick
And be very dignified,
I’ll have a watch that will really tick,
My house will be tall and made of brick,
And no one will guess that it’s just a trick,
And really myself inside.

The poem I remember reading about this turns out to have been in A CHILD'S GARDEN OF VERSES, by Robert Louis Stevenson, of which I had an illustrated copy sometime during the Johnson Administration (when I was seven)

RLS wrote:Looking Forward

When I am grown to man's estate
I shall be very proud and great,
And tell the other girls and boys
Not to meddle with my toys.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon May 02, 2016 1:06 am UTC

James in Toronto wrote:The poem I remember reading about this turns out to have been in A CHILD'S GARDEN OF VERSES, by Robert Louis Stevenson, of which I had an illustrated copy sometime during the Johnson Administration (when I was seven)

RLS wrote:Looking Forward

When I am grown to man's estate
I shall be very proud and great,
And tell the other girls and boys
Not to meddle with my toys.

I'm also reminded of the song "When I Grow Up" from the musical Matilda.
And when I grow up, I will be brave enough
To fight the creatures that you have to fight beneath the bed each night to
Be a grown up.
And when I grow up, I will have treats everyday and I'll
Play with things that mum pretends that mums don't think are fun.
And I will wake up when the sun comes up and I will spend all day just
Lying in the sun, and I won't burn because I'll be all grown up.
When I grow up
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon May 02, 2016 1:52 am UTC

Linux0s wrote:Image

Title Text: (1) That shopping cart is full of AirHeads, and (2) I died at 41 from what the AirHeads company spokesperson called 'probably natural causes.'

(3) Turns out the will was actually a Wii extended warranty.

My parents have been trying to remind me to write a will. I know I should, but haven't figured out how to go about it yet.
Currently receiving chemotherapy...
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

schrecht

Postby schrecht » Mon May 02, 2016 2:51 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:My parents have been trying to remind me to write a will. I know I should, but haven't figured out how to go about it yet.

I'm sorry to hear that. That's a tough place to be in. Here's my (unsought, worth-what-you-paid-for-it) advice, from someone who watched his beloved go through the whole process:

Don't sweat the will, unless you personally truly believe that you have obligations to fulfill by writing one. Like you are currently the caretaker for some intergenerational asset. If you're like most people, it doesn't matter what happens to your stuff after you die. In fact, don't sweat anything that doesn't matter to you personally. When you have to let go of your hair, let go also of all the baggage of fulfilling other people's expectations.

/sermon

WilliamLehnsherr

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Mon May 02, 2016 11:09 pm UTC

humanalien wrote:Oh. I think I just got it! In the last panel, his will is being read aloud. After he died. Wow, I can be slow sometimes.

Alright, now it all makes sense.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 03, 2016 12:35 am UTC

schrecht wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:My parents have been trying to remind me to write a will. I know I should, but haven't figured out how to go about it yet.

I'm sorry to hear that. That's a tough place to be in. Here's my (unsought, worth-what-you-paid-for-it) advice, from someone who watched his beloved go through the whole process:

Don't sweat the will, unless you personally truly believe that you have obligations to fulfill by writing one. Like you are currently the caretaker for some intergenerational asset. If you're like most people, it doesn't matter what happens to your stuff after you die. In fact, don't sweat anything that doesn't matter to you personally. When you have to let go of your hair, let go also of all the baggage of fulfilling other people's expectations.

/sermon

Thanks.
Yeah I don't have anything like that. And no dependents either. Still, it's something to do at some point.
On day 2, so I still have my hair. But I do have lots of hats and funny wigs :P
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Tue May 03, 2016 2:09 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I still have my hair. But I do have lots of hats and funny wigs :P

And you have some beanies too, don't forget the beanies...

BlitzGirl wrote:I had to read the comic over to get that nuance as well, so you're not alone.
Perhaps it might have been clearer with quotation marks around Cueball's will-text in the last panel.

Here, hopefully this makes it a bit clearer:

SFW:
Spoiler:
1674.png
Clearly, they are adults

1674 - Adult.png
non-transparent version, for redundancy
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order
Purveyor of Pepsi, the One True Beverage
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

Rzah

Postby Rzah » Tue May 03, 2016 10:31 am UTC

Much better but 'Can you believe this?' should be included in the quotation.

This comic resonates with me, sometimes I look at my son while he sleeps and think 'you poor bastard, your dads a big fraud', in spite of the evidence to the contrary.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 03, 2016 11:07 am UTC

Why thank you, StormAngel.
Spoiler:
In return I have something for you:

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue May 03, 2016 1:55 pm UTC

I've never owned a car, and whenever I rent one I feel like I'm playing at being a grown-up.

Having children has been mentioned already, and although I'd always assumed that it was a real turning point, from Rzah's post above it sounds like it isn't. On the other side of the parent-child coin, what about losing one's parents? Or does that just make you feel (amongst all the other grief) like an orphan?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

schrecht

Postby schrecht » Tue May 03, 2016 2:08 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Yeah I don't have anything like that. And no dependents either. Still, it's something to do at some point.
On day 2, so I still have my hair. But I do have lots of hats and funny wigs :P

Excellent: as long as you have hats and funny wigs, you're pretty much set.

SollaSollew

Postby SollaSollew » Tue May 03, 2016 4:39 pm UTC

At 51, I can attest that this feeling just gets stronger over time. Not so much the "wow, I'm buying a major appliance" but "inside I still often feel like I'm 12. What's with these wrinkles?**".

Though it was a shock when my parents and aunts/uncles died off, making me and my siblings the "oldest generation", I can't say that made me feel any more grown up. It is more like, "they let people like me run the world? There has to be a mistake there somewhere."

** there should be a law against having pimples and wrinkles on the same face. Sadly, there is not.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed May 04, 2016 3:25 pm UTC

I started going gray in my twenties, so looking in the mirror and seeing near total gray when I'm still in my thirties makes me wonder when I got old.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed May 04, 2016 4:06 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:I started going gray in my twenties, so looking in the mirror and seeing near total gray when I'm still in my thirties makes me wonder when I got old.
Similar to me, at those times of my life. Though no signs of going bald yet, beyond the next decade.

My mother's father went quite bald, so either the old traditional rule of thumb doesn't square with the actual genetics (i.e. my father's side's non-propensity won out over the matriarchal tendency towards it), it's actually more complex than that or the paternity of my 1940s mother (or my own true descendence, w.r.t. possible undisclosed adoption/switching?) might be put in doubt... Not that I'm bothered either way. All I know is that I have unruly, and thick, grey-or-mostly-grey hair, atop.

OTOH, a contemporary of mine at University was going bald even as he left his teens. Or at least lost it far up either side of whatever central fringe he could still muster, last time I saw him, and had not yet decided to go for the full-shaven pate as a statement...

HES

Postby HES » Wed May 04, 2016 4:10 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:I started going gray in my twenties, so looking in the mirror and seeing near total gray when I'm still in my thirties makes me wonder when I got old.

Easy, it was when you turned 30. :twisted:
He/Him/His Image

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Wed May 04, 2016 5:23 pm UTC

Draco18s wrote:I've caught myself doing this. Hell, almost any time I go to the store I'm like, "Look at me...shopping." I still can't resist tipping the little mini-carts up on their rear wheels as I trolly it around (which, to be frank, improves the steering tremendously: those front wheels rattle themselves loose and make for poor handling).
Try tipping it to the side and ride on those two wheels for going around corners.
It takes a bit of effort for the initial lift if your cart is loaded, but you'll get a very nice smooth pseudo-banked turn every time instead of having to fight momentum the whole way around.
Note: this has only been tested on western style full size shopping carts.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”