1653: "United States Map"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ebow

Re: 1653: "United States Map"

Postby ebow » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:21 pm UTC

Wilken wrote:Challenge accepted. The Alaskan islands have been roughly kept the same, but the Hawaiian islands were moved to make them more in line with with the classic shape of Alaska.

I tried to add as img tag, but its being flagged as spam, and I don't have permission to attach, I tried just to link, so here is the tag for imgur.

imgur /SKU0mRt

IMG tag isn't working for me either, let's try a link: blank map plus Alawaii and Hawaska

ebow

Postby ebow » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:25 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
jc wrote:
Boilerplate wrote:
da Doctah wrote:Actually, only three out of fifty have borders made entirely out of straight edges.

Actually, no states have straight edges. The straightest edges are still great circles.

If you treat great circles as "straight" then none have all straight edges, because lines of latitude are curved.

One of the fun US-geography trivia questions is to name the state border that is an arc of a circle (without looking it up). There really is one such border segment, though most people aren't aware of it.

Spoiler:
MIssissippi -- Alabama
? (must confess I did look at a map)

??? Isn't that a pair of straight line segments?

My brother used to live pretty close to the arc-border in question. Hint: one of the states is one that nobody really thinks about, unless you count corporations as people.

KarynMcD

Postby KarynMcD » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:30 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Spoiler:
MIssissippi -- Alabama

Your map is broken.
Try again.

doglover

Postby doglover » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:34 pm UTC

ebow wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
jc wrote:
Boilerplate wrote:
da Doctah wrote:Actually, only three out of fifty have borders made entirely out of straight edges.

Actually, no states have straight edges. The straightest edges are still great circles.

If you treat great circles as "straight" then none have all straight edges, because lines of latitude are curved.

One of the fun US-geography trivia questions is to name the state border that is an arc of a circle (without looking it up). There really is one such border segment, though most people aren't aware of it.

Spoiler:
MIssissippi -- Alabama

??? Isn't that a pair of straight line segments?

My brother used to live pretty close to the arc-border in question. Hint: one of the states is one that nobody really thinks about, unless you count corporations as people.

Aha. Found it! Wikipedia Twelve-Mile Circle.

rjwhiteherse

Postby rjwhiteherse » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:56 pm UTC

WTF. Randall you took 1/2 of Michigan away!

ebow

Postby ebow » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:13 pm UTC

doglover wrote:Aha. Found it! Wikipedia Twelve-Mile Circle.

Yup. As a bonus, the circle combined with conflicting surveying techniques and claims created a small patch of land called The Wedge, which was disputed among three states for way too long.

I wonder... are there any examples of land disputes that involve each party trying to offload their claim onto the other? For example, Indiana might try to convince Illinois that Gary actually belongs to them, due to some historic surveying error?

LittleBunnyFuFu

Postby LittleBunnyFuFu » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:32 pm UTC

PointSpecial wrote:
project2051 wrote:
LittleBunnyFuFu wrote:wow... Being from Michigan this is surprising. The Mackinac bridge just got a lot longer. And I mean A LOT.

I just came here to say that the long drive up into the U.P. just got a whole lot longer.

And, interestingly, the U.P. wasn't replaced. It's all now just one giant(er) Lake Michiperior?

ya I noticed that. I'm guessing Randall had a hard time trying to jigger in a UP replacement. But in doing so ceded lake superior to Canada! I find this un-acceptable.
I came
I saw
I napped

CharonPDX

Postby CharonPDX » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:42 pm UTC

ebow wrote:I wonder... are there any examples of land disputes that involve each party trying to offload their claim onto the other? For example, Indiana might try to convince Illinois that Gary actually belongs to them, due to some historic surveying error?

None (that I know of) between US states, but there is Bir Tawil between Egypt and Sudan. It's a similar "both sides claim different borders - both claim the same patch of (desired) land, which means neither claim a smaller patch of (undesired) land."

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:46 pm UTC

jc wrote:
Boilerplate wrote:

Any of the straight ones, when viewed as the intersection of a plane and the surface of the earth.

(yes, yes, that assumes a perfectly spherical earth).

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:51 pm UTC

project2051 wrote:
LittleBunnyFuFu wrote:wow... Being from Michigan this is surprising. The Mackinac bridge just got a lot longer. And I mean A LOT.

I just came here to say that the long drive up into the U.P. just got a whole lot longer.

"If you seek a pleasant peninsula, I guess you're stuck going to the Thumb area now".

solune

Postby solune » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:56 pm UTC

ebow wrote:I wonder... are there any examples of land disputes that involve each party trying to offload their claim onto the other?

There is indeed, the Hala'ib Triangle.
Egypt believes they possess territory A and sudan has territory B.
Sudan believes they possess territory A and Egypt has territory B.

As either is really interested in territory A, they both claim not to possess territory B.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:03 pm UTC

ebow wrote:I wonder... are there any examples of land disputes that involve each party trying to offload their claim onto the other? For example, Indiana might try to convince Illinois that Gary actually belongs to them, due to some historic surveying error?

Michigan and Ohio both wanted the Toledo Strip, but Michigan ultimately came out the winner.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:41 pm UTC

ebow wrote:
doglover wrote:Aha. Found it! Wikipedia Twelve-Mile Circle.

Yup. As a bonus, the circle combined with conflicting surveying techniques and claims created a small patch of land called The Wedge, which was disputed among three states for way too long.

And to think I learned about this surveying oddity in the same book (Pynchon's Mason & Dixon) where I learned about other 18th century wonders like the sentient robotic duck and the strangely familiar hand signal used by a secret society to mean "Live long and prosper." I think my takeaway is "Truth is not stranger than fiction, but sometimes it can hold its own."

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:06 pm UTC

project2051 wrote:I just came here to say that the long drive up into the U.P. just got a whole lot longer.

This sounds like a job for... Elon Musk!!!

(I'm thinking more of the Hyperloop, although his recent ability to reliably hit (if not soft-land on) a remote ocean barge with an 'expended' first stage of a rocket has got to mean something...)

Justin Lardinois

Postby Justin Lardinois » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:13 pm UTC

I'm surprised no one in this thread has brought up the Ben Carson map:

I'm not sure how someone does that on accident. Maybe Ben Carson's campaign was so understaffed that they started hiring people who didn't actually support him. (That would explain a lot, actually.)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:25 pm UTC

Justin Lardinois wrote:I'm not sure how someone does that on accident.

Similar things have been done elsewhere, without any apparent bias behind them.

Spot the problem:
NB: the URL of that image gives the biggest clue...

(I think they probably took a borders dataset and melded it into a whole, missing out what may well have been defined as a 'subregion'.)

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:22 pm UTC

Now I really want to produce a jigsaw puzzle with two solutions.
Then give it to people to solve without letting them know it has two solutions.
Then wait for them to solve it.
Then show them the other solution and act like they're an epic level idiot.
pduthie wrote:you try that nonsense with our lovely ridiculous UK counties and see how far you get.
Are the internal borders infinitely long to, or is that just the coast?
rjwhiteherse wrote:WTF. Randall you took 1/2 of Michigan away!
Knowing Randal, he probably gave it to the Dutch.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

passion4film12

Postby passion4film12 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:23 pm UTC

This is instantly one of my favorite xkcd comics EVER. The effort! The coolness! The creativity! I need a poster of this!

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:43 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
pduthie wrote:you try that nonsense with our lovely ridiculous UK counties and see how far you get.
Are the internal borders infinitely long to, or is that just the coast?

Well, given how many mystical gateways to the netherworld, we have, most counties technically have infinite internal area, regardless of perimeter.

More seriously, numerous borders are defined by natural features like rivers (such as the Tamar, forming much of the Cornish border with its sole landward neighbour, Devon) or ridges... at least historically. And even modern ones follow features (including roads!) that aren't exactly straight, although (locally) smooth curves wouldn't be anything more than of finite length. I suppose it depends on whether you drill down to the midpoint of watercourses as defined increasingly corrugated by the machinations of every stone or sandy spit jutting out from the bank into the stream, from either side, or exactly where it is deemed that road (or road/river/etc) junctions meet.

See the scrolling 'illustrative' picture on this page for many examples of boundaries at various levels of administration. Boundaries that I've (previously) been working with have been defined by polylines (thus finite, even with bezier segments along some parts), but I think we could argue that these remain as approximations, especially when the historical distinction of the border relies upon less precise/permanent geographic features than the officialdom that pretends to maintain the definition.
Last edited by Soupspoon on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChakatFirepaw

Postby ChakatFirepaw » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:45 pm UTC

brakos82 wrote:Louisiana - New Orleans is still French, but now it's because they're bordering Quebec. Draw.

I disagree: It pretty much undoes the Acadian expulsion and has the Cajuns return to where the British kicked them out of, so I'd put that in the win column.

JohnTheWysard

Postby JohnTheWysard » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:49 pm UTC

jc wrote:One of the fun US-geography trivia questions is to name the state border that is an arc of a circle (without looking it up). There really is one such border segment, though most people aren't aware of it.

Spoiler:
Northern border of Delaware. And I didn't look it up. :lol:

LittleBunnyFuFu

Postby LittleBunnyFuFu » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:51 pm UTC

not quite, he moved it very far away, the UP is over near where New Jersey/Pennsylvania use to be-ish. MI is now the only state to have both an Atlantic and Pacific coast. Which seems kinda fitting for Michigan.
I came
I saw
I napped

JohnTheWysard

Postby JohnTheWysard » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:51 pm UTC

Having lived in both Oklahoma and Idaho, I'm delighted to see that the panhandle didn't move - just swapped states!

Barstro

Postby Barstro » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:22 pm UTC

Does Wyoming still mean "no state here"?

Eternal Density

Thanks, cancer.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:39 pm UTC

Justin Lardinois wrote:I'm surprised no one in this thread has brought up the Ben Carson map:

I'm not sure how someone does that on accident. Maybe Ben Carson's campaign was so understaffed that they started hiring people who didn't actually support him. (That would explain a lot, actually.)

Thanks to that I ended up at http://www.vox.com/2015/2/18/8056325/bad-maps
This caused me a very painful amount of laughter.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:30 pm UTC

Canard wrote:Looks like I've got it figured differently to quite a lot of people on here - I assumed the geographical features of the US would remain the same, it was just a case of the borders being changed.

That thought crossed my mind, but it's clearly not the case. Washington state still has the Puget Sound, for example, which has no geographically equivalent lake in its new location. Also, the San Francisco peninsula now has a large island chain. (And the SF bay has become much larger.) And the Florida keys...

CharonPDX wrote:
cellocgw wrote:And perhaps the most important, :twisted: , the net increase or decrease in required travel distance to get to a state w/ legal marijuana sales.

Well, on the "most important" - for my state, net zero. And splitting up Oregon and Washington, putting them both in the middle, causes a net decrease for almost all locations. Colorado didn't move very far, either. So, really, California, Idaho, and Nevada are the three "big losers" on that front.

Actually, California can't lose, since it has legal marijuana sales. Not recreational, but still. And anyway, the bar for getting medicinal marijuana is notoriously low.
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:55 pm UTC

Boilerplate wrote:Most distorted, least recognizable state: Minnesota.

It's a representation of our politics. Sanders and Rubio in the primaries (er, caucuses)? Ventura? Franken?
Last edited by Mikeski on Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Omegaman

Postby Omegaman » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:00 am UTC

ps.02 wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:California still partially overlaps its old position. Like all of SoCal is still Cal, just... WesCal now?

Yeah it does overlap, but its CG moved further than several of the others. Speaking of which, would you call the middle of your state MezCal?

The middle of the state is called "NorCal". Everything North of San Francisco is generally called "Baja Oregon".

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:20 am UTC

Wait. That's not how the map of the US usually looks?

CharonPDX

Postby CharonPDX » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:00 am UTC

Omegaman wrote:
ps.02 wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:California still partially overlaps its old position. Like all of SoCal is still Cal, just... WesCal now?

Yeah it does overlap, but its CG moved further than several of the others. Speaking of which, would you call the middle of your state MezCal?

The middle of the state is called "NorCal". Everything North of San Francisco is generally called "Baja Oregon".

As an Oregonian, I absolutely love that name. If I recall correctly, it came from a debate between a supporter and an opponent of splitting California in to two states.

S: And what do you suppose you'll call your new Northern state? We won't go for "Northern California" and "Southern California."
N: We were thinking of going with "Greater California."
S: Why don't you just tell it like it is and call yourselves "Baja Oregon?"

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:06 am UTC

I do international shipping. If you want to do a world map Randall, Toronto is in the Central African Republic, New Taipei City is in either Australia or Andorra, and Italy is part of Afghanistan.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Farabor

Postby Farabor » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:25 am UTC

Is it wrong that the first thing I thought of was to search for fixed points, before I realized that the translation function wasn't continuous and therefore Brouwer's FIxed Point theorem doesn't apply?

On the "land noone wants", in slightly fictional lands, there was the reason for Pennsic War, fought between the SCA kingdoms of the East and Middle because neither wanted Pittsburgh and Cleveland....

orthogon

Re: Thanks, cancer.

Postby orthogon » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:50 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:This caused me a very painful amount of laughter.

Me too. And they say that laughter is the best medicine, so... (Actually scientific medicine proven in repeated randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trials is the best medicine, but laughter can't do any harm).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Soupspoon

Re: Thanks, cancer.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:21 am UTC

orthogon wrote:(...but laughter can't do any harm).
Unless you have a broken rib?

Or are trying to hide from the psycho clown!

LockeZ

Postby LockeZ » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:38 am UTC

No, one half of Michigan is on the west coast where California should be. The other half is on the east coast, between Arkansas and Maine.

Someone should spend a day editing the Animaniacs song of Wakko naming all the US states to use this map.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:43 pm UTC

CharonPDX wrote:As an Oregonian, I absolutely love that name. If I recall correctly, it came from a debate between a supporter and an opponent of splitting California in to two states.

S: And what do you suppose you'll call your new Northern state? We won't go for "Northern California" and "Southern California."

Shouldn't it be Bajo Oregon, (by analogy with Aragón, or the Portuguese and presumably also Spanish Óregon, which are masculine)?

The whole naming of Californias is quite complicated as it is. The original California is divided into California (and bits of some other US states) and Baja California, and then Baja California itself comprises two states: Baja California and Baja California Sur. There's self-similarity of naming all the way down...

Trickster

Postby Trickster » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:26 pm UTC

I just had an incredibly detailed dream where I was flying over this map and could see all the cracks between the states where they didn't match up perfectly.

That is all.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:24 pm UTC

Boilerplate wrote:

OK, so here's my trivia question for the day: What state has the shortest border length?

Going with the above-alluded-to, so-called "Coastline Paradox" (see: Wikipedia Cracked (#2)), clearly 47 out of 50 states have infinitely long borders when measured precisely. They all follow, at least for part of their borders, geographical features such as rivers, mountain ranges, or coastlines. Only three states (Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah) have borders which are defined entirely by ... well, a combination of straight lines and arcs, so let's say they're "mathematically defined." Several other states are mostly mathematically defined, but have at least some irregular section. (The most extreme of these is New Mexico[1].)

Even the three states don't have as precise borders as they would appear to at first glance. Zoom in on Google Maps (or your favorite alternative mapping website), and you can see how the Utah-Wyoming border and the Utah-Colorado border are not completely straight lines. And this is not a software error in Google Maps; it is an error that was made when the states were surveyed.[2] However, the borders do appear to still be a collection of straight lines (and actually not great circles, except in the sense of being over the surface of the curvature of the earth; east-west lines just happen to be a collection of straight lines that approximate a curve.) Anyway, Colorado and Wyoming are not truly rectangles (or even trapezoids), and Utah is not truly an irregular hexagon, but rather they are polynomials of a large, but finite, number of sides.

However, to get a rather rough estimate of their lengths, I can use a ruler on my monitor with Google Maps up, and measure their sides assuming them to be the straight lines that they almost are. Given a certain resolution and consistent zoom-level on Google Maps (which tells me in the lower-right corner that 100 miles is about 23/32 of an inch), I measure Utah to have a total border length of about 7 14/16 inches, or about 565 miles (to the nearest 5 miles); Colorado has a total border length of 8 9/16 inches, or about 615 miles, and Wyoming has a total border length of 8 12/16 inches, or about 630 miles. And really the difference between Colorado's and Wyoming's is probably insignifigant with measurement error, but clearly Utah is the state with the shortest total border length. I feel confident enough in my measurements to say it is the only state with less than 600 miles (or less than 950 km for those of you who prefer un-American measurements) of border.

As for other countries in the world, the only one I can find that seems to have all mathematically-defined borders is Vatican City. Of course, you won't really surprise anyone by telling them that the smallest country in the world has the shortest border. (It has straight lines and a few curves, including what looks like about two thirds of an ellipse, but it appears to be completely bounded by a definitely measureable wall.) All other landlocked countries, including San Marino and Andorra, have a combination of rivers and mountain range borders along with (in some cases) a few straight line borders. And obviously any country with a coastline has an infinite border.

Footnotes spoilered
Spoiler:
[1] New Mexico only follows an irregular border, the Rio Grande River[3] for a tiny section of its border. Using the ruler-on-monitor technique, New Mexico's straight-line borders total around 1500 miles, and the two endpoints of its irregular border are, in a straight line, about 16 miles apart. So, measured in this way, barely one percent of New Mexico's border is infinite, but of course this makes the whole total infinite!

[2] Almost all of the states which have straight-line borders, as well as most of the others (with river or mountain-range borders) have these type of surveying errors, as well as borders that were compromised on after disagreements between two or more states, like the Toledo War. (Hawaii is the only well-defined state!) I highly recommend the book How the States Got Their Shapes (of which I own a copy), as well as its television documentary adaptation on the History Channel. I learned from the documentary that it's really a marvel how good the boundaries are, given that they were mostly measured by surveyors walking with 66-foot lengths of chain!

[3] - yes, this is redudant by translation
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:40 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:[...]about 7 14/16 inches[...]

Ooh, we missed this when we had the regular revival of the whole decimal/metric/SI vs Imperial/Customary debate a couple of weeks back. Fractions of an inch are usually expressed in the form x/2N; in other words as terminating binary fractions. This can lead to conflict in the geeky mind: decimal is nice and easy for meatbags, but binary is the most beautiful and elegant base of all. And meatbags can get used to it too: any diesel mechanic can tell you in a heartbeat that the next spanner(=wrench) up after a three-eighths is a seven-sixteenths.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:11 pm UTC

CharonPDX wrote:S: And what do you suppose you'll call your new Northern state? We won't go for "Northern California" and "Southern California."
For a long time, New Yorkers have thought that new Jersey should be renamed Axillary York.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”