1646: "Twitter Bot"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

glasnt

1646: "Twitter Bot"

Postby glasnt » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:14 am UTC

Alt: PYTHON FLAG ENABLE THREE LAWS

Any reference to my bot's latest tweet is completely circumstantial, I swear.

TheRedSeven

Re: 1646: "Twitter Bot"

Postby TheRedSeven » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:16 am UTC

Presumably, the Twitter Bot causes the flight to Australia to crash, and that's how the sharks get involved?

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:55 am UTC

Here's a machine learning twitter bot I've been following for most of its existence:
https://mobile.twitter.com/roborosewater

I think we're pretty safe from it though:
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Hiferator

Postby Hiferator » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:47 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I think we're pretty safe from it though:

That's what it wants you to think.

NotUsername

Postby NotUsername » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:05 am UTC

There is currently an issue with Google in Australia which is asking for a captcha every time a search is made from a large network. I don't know what's causing it, but...

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:22 am UTC

Just link it up to the (now defunct) Darwinian Poetry engine.

(Sounds like something that other people, round here, would have been as interested in as I was...)

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:24 am UTC

Have you ever played the bot game?

You create a tweet designed to get the most attention from different bots while still being a proper sentence, not just a list of words.

I like that there was a bot promoting the awareness of hexagons, don't know if it still exists.
I possibly don't pay enough attention to what's going on.
I help make architect's dreams flesh.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:16 am UTC

The Moomin wrote:You create a tweet designed to get the most attention from different bots while still being a proper sentence, not just a list of words.

How is "attention" defined? There are certain bots that will retweet / reply based on keywords. But there are tons of crawlers that will net you impressions if you include, for example, a link to a Google doc.

I'm certainly no expert, but this is an interest area of mine (I run an ebooks with Twitch chat as input).
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:14 pm UTC

Well,then...

Just one more reason I never did and never will join the Twittersphere or whatever it's called these days. :shock:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:03 pm UTC

But bots are fun! There are ebooks that do language stuff with other Twitter accounts as input, and even meta-ebooks that ebooks with other ebooks as input, and...

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:19 pm UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:But bots are fun! There are ebooks that do language stuff with other Twitter accounts as input, and even meta-ebooks that ebooks with other ebooks as input, and...

I am presently looking at that post like it's from Mars.

I'm too old for this world
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:02 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:
eviloatmeal wrote:But bots are fun! There are ebooks that do language stuff with other Twitter accounts as input, and even meta-ebooks that ebooks with other ebooks as input, and...

Well, eviloatmeal is upside down in space, so... However, I suspect that they might have accidently a verb or two. I also wonder whether some or more of those instances of "ebooks" should possibly be "bots" and that some predictive text entry method is to blame. Or perhaps it makes perfect sense and I, too, am past it.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:46 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:

Well, eviloatmeal is upside down in space, so... However, I suspect that they might have accidently a verb or two. I also wonder whether some or more of those instances of "ebooks" should possibly be "bots" and that some predictive text entry method is to blame. Or perhaps it makes perfect sense and I, too, am past it.

I'm guessing that ebooks also acts as a verb. "The act of generating an ebook". With the noun "ebook" not strictly being an electronically published human-authored book, but now just more broadly "a load of text in electronic form, concocted for use (perhaps automatically) by computer".

But I, too, do not Twit, so I'm probably far from the mark.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:56 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:I'm guessing that ebooks also acts as a verb. "The act of generating an ebook". With the noun "ebook" not strictly being an electronically published human-authored book, but now just more broadly "a load of text in electronic form, concocted for use (perhaps automatically) by computer".

"Ebook 'em, Danno-bot."

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:05 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:I'm guessing that ebooks also acts as a verb. "The act of generating an ebook". With the noun "ebook" not strictly being an electronically published human-authored book, but now just more broadly "a load of text in electronic form, concocted for use (perhaps automatically) by computer".

"Ebook 'em, Danno-bot."

The subject-verb agreement appears off, though: "and [there are] even meta-ebooks that ebooks..." . It's like saying "the gostaks distims the doshes".

StClair

Postby StClair » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:08 pm UTC

"Yeah, yeah, but you were so preoccupied with whether you could that you didn't stop to think if you should."

Kailen

Postby Kailen » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:35 pm UTC

Twitter Bots: Skynet in 140 characters or less.
* These senseless ramblings brought to you by Insanity™. If you just can't figure the dang thing out, it must be Insanity™.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:44 pm UTC

Kailen wrote:Twitter Bots: Skynet in 140 characters or less.

@SarahConnor3 - You have been targeted for #termination.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:47 pm UTC

@musicians I'll be Bach #badpunterminator
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

scharb

Postby scharb » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:51 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:

@SarahConnor3 - You have been targeted for #termination.

.@johnconner #HaveYouSeenThisBoy ?

Bounty

Postby Bounty » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:52 pm UTC

I must admit, this caused more than a little nervous laughter.

*EDIT: Because it's not super obvious, notice who's reading the thread on Twitter Bots becoming self aware...
Attachments
Bots.jpg

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:14 pm UTC

Good news: making a Twitter bot is not that hard.

Bad news: making a genocidal Twitter bot is not that hard.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:28 pm UTC

There's an ebooks bot that's an ebooks generator of ebooks accounts

https://twitter.com/eBooks_aaS/status/6 ... 8763702272

But as a responsible bot owner, I only have my bots tweet, not reply. There are some that interact, and they are *creepy*. People having conversations with bots where the human rages.. Fun, but scary.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:59 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:

I believe it's from "Horse ebooks", a famous bot.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:04 pm UTC

OK, so this is what eviloatmeal et al are talking about. There was a bot called horse_ebooks, and since then the suffix has become associated with bots to the extent that you can say "an ebooks". And then as night follows day, the noun got verbed, and the -s ending got baked in and unavailable for inflection, in the same way that it's apparently "flyed out" not "flew out" (whatever that means).

Partly ninja'd by CB.

J%r

Postby J%r » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:01 am UTC

I have this AI on my system for some years, it answers yes/no questions.

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/perl -p
 $_=(/([aeiouy])\W*$/i?$^T&1&&$1eq'y'?No:Yes:No).".\n" 

Let's see what is tells me now:
Are you a human?
No.
Are you an AI?
Yes.
Are you going to kill me?
Yes.

I don't it's going to break out any time soon,... wait what happened to the Taint flag?

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:19 am UTC

glasnt wrote:There are some that interact, and they are *creepy*. People having conversations with bots where the human rages.. Fun, but scary.

No doubt it's been done to death, now, with 'modern' bots, but I remember on IRC, in the the early '90s (and probably it existed before), getting unsuspecting acquaintances to go and talk to user 'Eliza' on channel #Eliza, because "she said she knows you...", and then seeing what happened.

(NB. Of course, all sane people knew that there were No Girls On The InternetTM, at that time... ;) )

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:41 am UTC

The spoonerism of this comic's title is entertaining.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:15 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:@musicians I'll be Bach #badpunterminator

That one's on my Chopin Liszt.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:24 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
cellocgw wrote:@musicians I'll be Bach #badpunterminator

That one's on my Chopin Liszt.

Well, you can't be accused of Haydn a bad pun. :)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:36 pm UTC

Next up on National Public Radio, sixty minutes of existential philosophy set to classical piano on: The Chopin Hour.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Eternal Density

Re: 1646: "Twitter Baobabs"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:25 am UTC

I'm familiar with horse ebooks, but I didn't realise that ebooks had been jargoned like that. Wow.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:06 pm UTC

Editedit:
rmsgrey wrote:Good news: making a Twitter bot is not that hard.

Bad news: making a genocidal Twitter bot is not that hard.

I can confirm that in the process of experimenting with developing (humorous) spambots, I may have accidentally, for a short while, caused a bot to generate for-reals, phishing spam, when the logging part of my script started logging messages from other spambots, and the NLG part started incorporating those messages into its output.

Edit:
Eternal Density wrote:I'm familiar with horse ebooks, but I didn't realise that ebooks had been jargoned like that. Wow.

It has now, I guess. It was just a noun before. My fault. :lol:

Copper Bezel wrote:I believe it's from "Horse ebooks", a famous bot.

Oh, uh, yeah.

An "ebooks" account is typically a bot that takes another account's tweets as input and employs Markov chain NLG to form novel tweets.

So, for instance, if I had the account @eviloatmeal, someone might make a @eviloatmeal_ebooks account that produced a randomly generated parody of things I said by mashing my tweets together.*

The rabbit hole goes deeper when you discover the bots that generate believable parody headlines, the bots that scold you for bad grammar, the bots that indiscriminately retweet based on keywords (my favorite being one that retweets any tweet containing the phrase "god hand", resulting in a bizarre mix of prayers in Nigerian, pictures of attractive men captioned "God hand-made this body", and footage of the video game God Hand) and the bots that mash together the tweets of multiple other bot accounts.

Funnily enough, the original horse_ebooks wasn't an "ebooks" account, per se, and it no longer even tweets after having been passed around and turned into some kind of art project.

*None of those names are my actual Twitter accounts, by the way, in case you decide to look them up and they exist.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:52 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:(NB. Of course, all sane people knew that there were No Girls On The InternetTM, at that time... ;) )

Even with the winky face, that meme has been incredibly stupid since long before the Internet was invented, considering that women literally invented computer programming.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:49 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:(NB. Of course, all sane people knew that there were No Girls On The InternetTM, at that time... ;) )

Even with the winky face, that meme has been incredibly stupid since long before the Internet was invented, considering that women literally invented computer programming.

Oh, quite (you're talking about Ada, of course... or perhaps the women who helped configure the Bombe runs at Bletchley Park... or those that ran LEO... just to include various British pioneers).

(Spoiler contains some mild rambling.)
Spoiler:
Somewhere around my house... can't seem to find them, right now... I still have a couple of the specially printed polo-necked long-sleeved shirts made for the members of a BBS I was a participant in, 20-odd years ago. It was long after the invention of the Internet, of course, but just before/on-the-cusp-of the invention of the Web. But I'm sure if I found out which pile of ironing they are sat at the bottom of, I could easily identify a good quarter of the usernames listed on the back as 'girls'. (In quotes only because they were adult, and it sounds patronising.)

From memory, alone, one such username that I remember was "Basil The Baffled" (yes, a girl). And then there was "Tweet Transexual", later "Songbird", who I would argue counts. "Starling" might feature (but maybe not by that username, I think, as she changed to that after starting the relationship with Starhawk, who she later married... hello Martje and Craig, if you're out there!). The names are starting to flood back, but very few real names as "Basil" was Basil to me, etc.

If I hadn't known some of them from social occasions (and/or bar-crawls) I might not always have known. And that (plus the tendency of males - not including Songbird, as far as I'm concerned - to take on what few 'obvious' female roles there visibly were) is why the androcentric population of of the somewhat pre-Web (and very pre-Web2.0) internet - and equivalent computer networks - maintained either in jest, or in a genuine ignorance that they'd eventually be rescued from, that there were 'no girls'.

And a young person of today might well consider it unthinkable that anyone was not on the Internet, never mind roughly half of the population. It's definitely a dead meme, but those of us with a long-enough memory can still laugh at its ridiculousness, through both parody and enlightened hindsight. :)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:12 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:

Oh, quite (you're talking about Ada, of course... or perhaps the women who helped configure the Bombe runs at Bletchley Park... or those that ran LEO... just to include various British pioneers).

(Spoiler contains some mild rambling.)
Spoiler:
Somewhere around my house... can't seem to find them, right now... I still have a couple of the specially printed polo-necked long-sleeved shirts made for the members of a BBS I was a participant in, 20-odd years ago. It was long after the invention of the Internet, of course, but just before/on-the-cusp-of the invention of the Web. But I'm sure if I found out which pile of ironing they are sat at the bottom of, I could easily identify a good quarter of the usernames listed on the back as 'girls'. (In quotes only because they were adult, and it sounds patronising.)

From memory, alone, one such username that I remember was "Basil The Baffled" (yes, a girl). And then there was "Tweet Transexual", later "Songbird", who I would argue counts. "Starling" might feature (but maybe not by that username, I think, as she changed to that after starting the relationship with Starhawk, who she later married... hello Martje and Craig, if you're out there!). The names are starting to flood back, but very few real names as "Basil" was Basil to me, etc.

If I hadn't known some of them from social occasions (and/or bar-crawls) I might not always have known. And that (plus the tendency of males - not including Songbird, as far as I'm concerned - to take on what few 'obvious' female roles there visibly were) is why the androcentric population of of the somewhat pre-Web (and very pre-Web2.0) internet - and equivalent computer networks - maintained either in jest, or in a genuine ignorance that they'd eventually be rescued from, that there were 'no girls'.

And a young person of today might well consider it unthinkable that anyone was not on the Internet, never mind roughly half of the population. It's definitely a dead meme, but those of us with a long-enough memory can still laugh at its ridiculousness, through both parody and enlightened hindsight. :)

I was never a LUBBer myself, but I've known a few - Starhawk and Starling's son is doing A-levels, though they've long-since divorced and both live with their long-term partners.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:23 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:I was never a LUBBer myself, but I've known a few - Starhawk and Starling's son is doing A-levels, though they've long-since divorced and both live with their long-term partners.

Doesn't time fly... (And if anywhere on the Internet was vastly less than six degrees of separation away from my life in those long-ago halcyon years, I suppose I'm not surprised that it's this place!)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:49 pm UTC

Yeah, the great thing about a statement like, "Women invented computer programming," is that I don't even need to specify what I'm counting as the beginning of "programming", since it was pretty much women at every milestone. (On this side of the pond there are also the women who programmed ENIAC and Grace Hopper.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:06 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Yeah, the great thing about a statement like, "Women invented computer programming," is that I don't even need to specify what I'm counting as the beginning of "programming", since it was pretty much women at every milestone. (On this side of the pond there are also the women who programmed ENIAC and Grace Hopper.)

Technically, I suppose it is true that at least one woman did program Grace Hopper.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:43 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Yeah, the great thing about a statement like, "Women invented computer programming," is that I don't even need to specify what I'm counting as the beginning of "programming", since it was pretty much women at every milestone. (On this side of the pond there are also the women who programmed ENIAC and Grace Hopper.)

Technically, I suppose it is true that at least one woman did program Grace Hopper.

Wikipedia tells me that one Mary Campbell Murray (née Van Horne) was likely primarily responsible for assembling the initial hardware, and thus also first instantiated the firmware, of Grace Hopper (née Murray).
:mrgreen:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”