1615: "Red Car"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

eviloatmeal

1615: "Red Car"

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:36 am UTC

Title text: "That guy only drives an alkaline car to overcompensate for his highly acidic penis."

That guy only drives a red car so it doesn't blueshift out of the visible spectrum when driving toward an observer.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Envelope Generator

Re: 1615: "Red Car"

Postby Envelope Generator » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:10 am UTC

That guy only draws a comic strip to overcompensate for his tragic penis.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:19 am UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:That guy only draws a comic strip to overcompensate for his tragic penis.

That guy only draws stick figures to compensate for his girthy member.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:07 am UTC

That guitar only drives a mink car to compensate for its hard, wooden neck and headstock.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:45 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:
Envelope Generator wrote:That guy only draws a comic strip to overcompensate for his tragic penis.

That guy only draws stick figures to compensate for his non-stick member.

ftfy
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:19 am UTC

I liked this one, particularly the use of "cyan", which I'd like to hear more in normal speech outside the fields of printing or computer graphics. "That's a beautiful cyan dress!" etc.

I did, however, have a bit of a Fridge Logic moment. The "car compensating for small penis" meme isn't really about the car being opposite or complementary in this sense. At least, it's not that a guy drives a big car to compensate for his small dick. Typically the car is smart, fast, powerful or shiny, but not necessarily big. If it were about size, then the meme would be associated more with estate cars (=station wagons), vans or pickups rather than sports cars. The sense in which it compensates is that the car is impressive, ostentatious and conspicuous, not that it's big.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:33 am UTC

I drive an old car, and a cheap one, so this premise obviously doesn't work.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:08 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I did, however, have a bit of a Fridge Logic moment. The "car compensating for small penis" meme isn't really about the car being opposite or complementary in this sense. At least, it's not that a guy drives a big car to compensate for his small dick. Typically the car is smart, fast, powerful or shiny, but not necessarily big. If it were about size, then the meme would be associated more with estate cars (=station wagons), vans or pickups rather than sports cars. The sense in which it compensates is that the car is impressive, ostentatious and conspicuous, not that it's big.

Hmm, I know the compensation meme/idiom in two semidistinct ways: one is compensating with something big for a small penis, the other is compensating with something posh/expensive/attractive for not being attractive in general.

Although the first meaning can also be a mixup in my head with the insecure meme/idiom.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:34 pm UTC

Probably still safe to drive red cars, tho' completely made-up statistics prove red cars are 5 times more likely to be stopped for speeding;

but I strongly recommend against even going near a red car that's owned and operated by Starfleet Command.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:40 pm UTC

I saw a dude driving a hybrid car the other day, and I just knew they were compensating for their penis which runs on neither gas NOR electricity.

I think it might've been hydrogen-powered.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:51 pm UTC

Oh, speaking of which... have you seen Jeff Bezos's hydrogen-powered penis?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:28 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
orthogon wrote:I did, however, have a bit of a Fridge Logic moment. The "car compensating for small penis" meme isn't really about the car being opposite or complementary in this sense. At least, it's not that a guy drives a big car to compensate for his small dick. Typically the car is smart, fast, powerful or shiny, but not necessarily big. If it were about size, then the meme would be associated more with estate cars (=station wagons), vans or pickups rather than sports cars. The sense in which it compensates is that the car is impressive, ostentatious and conspicuous, not that it's big.

Hmm, I know the compensation meme/idiom in two semidistinct ways: one is compensating with something big for a small penis, the other is compensating with something posh/expensive/attractive for not being attractive in general.

Although the first meaning can also be a mixup in my head with the insecure meme/idiom.

The middle-aged man driving a Ferrari is also a thing, but it's a separate thing from the guy-with-perfect-looks driving a Ferrari, who is assumed to have some sort of hidden flaw to make up for his lack of visible flaws - possibly through envious wishful thinking, or possibly through observing that people who really do have everything they could want don't need to advertise how perfect their life is - they just get on with enjoying it...

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:37 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:The middle-aged man driving a Ferrari is also a thing, but it's a separate thing from the guy-with-perfect-looks driving a Ferrari, who is assumed to have some sort of hidden flaw to make up for his lack of visible flaws - possibly through envious wishful thinking, or possibly through observing that people who really do have everything they could want don't need to advertise how perfect their life is - they just get on with enjoying it...

Just for the record,

When I win the multi-hundred-million dollar lottery, here's the car I'm gonna get. Start with a nice big Bentley sedan, repaint it metallic sea-foam green, add pink "Big Daddy"-style flame patterns, put in an undercarriage lighting system, adjustable air-suspension, a 1500-watt subwoofer in the trunk that'll bounce other cars right off the road, and of course fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview mirror.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

NeatNit

Postby NeatNit » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:47 pm UTC

This is an IRC log from fucking last night

Code: Select all

[22:40:02] <PolarBear> penises come in all shapes and sizes
[22:40:11] <NeatNit> and colors!
[22:40:13] <PolarBear> yes
[22:40:21] <NeatNit> mine is cyan

Get out of QuakeNet Randall!!

Spoiler:
That's 20:40 UTC

suso

Postby suso » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:02 pm UTC

Thanks Randall, now I won't feel so awkward posting my sex joke to @climagic today.
Imagine theres no signatures....

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:08 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Flumble wrote:

The middle-aged man driving a Ferrari is also a thing, but it's a separate thing from the guy-with-perfect-looks driving a Ferrari, who is assumed to have some sort of hidden flaw to make up for his lack of visible flaws - possibly through envious wishful thinking, or possibly through observing that people who really do have everything they could want don't need to advertise how perfect their life is - they just get on with enjoying it...

I drive a very anonymous metallic silver Altima, like a jillion other 4 door silver sedans out there. But mine has a 3.5 liter engine, 270 HP, and sports suspension. 0-60 in 6.6. I can smoke almost
anyone at the stoplight (and more importantly, do highway merges without fear). So I guess that's going to the other extreme.

However, if I won the lottery, and bought myself a supercar, I'd flaunt it. Dayglo orange or something like that. There's no point in humblebragging by painting a car like that a quiet color.
...and yes, I'm a balding middle aged guy.

ce

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:20 pm UTC

I just realized a correlation between the facts that I drive a average-sized car and I have an average-sized penis.

80-watt Hamster

Postby 80-watt Hamster » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:27 pm UTC

As a person who's been into cars most of my life, the "sports car as compensation" thing always bothered me, even as a kid. I wanted a cool car but couldn't have one, and rationalized that the middle-aged guys that did were finally in a financial position that allowed an extraneous purchase of that magnitude. Not too many years ago, I realized a potential hole in that logic; I'd originally presumed that the guys driving "compensation cars" were truly car guys, that they appreciated the vehicle solely on its own merits (speed, handling, beauty, whatever) and on the pleasure that owning/driving that car provided. The possibility that they didn't necessarily care about the car itself, but only (or primarily) on the attention or cachet it brought, whether or not they realized it, was, and still is, a bit foreign to me.

... Does that last sentence scan? That's a lot of commas.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:41 pm UTC

80-watt Hamster wrote:... Does that last sentence scan? That's a lot of commas.

It only once goes two levels and twice one level down, so that's easier to parse than the start of this sentence. (though, that part might actually be invalid English)

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:47 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I liked this one, particularly the use of "cyan", which I'd like to hear more in normal speech outside the fields of printing or computer graphics. "That's a beautiful cyan dress!" etc.

I did, however, have a bit of a Fridge Logic moment. The "car compensating for small penis" meme isn't really about the car being opposite or complementary in this sense. At least, it's not that a guy drives a big car to compensate for his small dick. Typically the car is smart, fast, powerful or shiny, but not necessarily big. If it were about size, then the meme would be associated more with estate cars (=station wagons), vans or pickups rather than sports cars. The sense in which it compensates is that the car is impressive, ostentatious and conspicuous, not that it's big.

I think the suggestion is that when it's a powerful car, it's compensating for something else lacking... potency. Shiny compensating for something dull. Fast compensating for something... unresponsive. And so on.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:03 pm UTC

I recently got rid of my car. So what does that say?
He/Him/His Image

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:32 pm UTC

thevicente wrote:I just realized a correlation between the facts that I drive a average-sized car and I have an average-sized penis.

I have a penis and have never owned car. Explain that with your precious logic!
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:35 pm UTC

HES wrote:I recently got rid of my car. So what does that say?

Stay away from sharp objects?
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

Bysmerian

Postby Bysmerian » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:44 pm UTC

I think I'm reading some salt in the title text.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:42 pm UTC

Your dick is infinite.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:51 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:

Your dick is infinite.

Furthermore, for a person of finite size, as their penis tends to infinity, the proportion represented by the organ tends to 100%. Conclusion: HES is a total dick. Or a god. Nothing between. Or maybe both. Somebody may need to check my working. (Full disclosure: I don't have a car either).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

SimonMoon5

Postby SimonMoon5 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:36 pm UTC

Nah, it's simpler than that.

A car that doesn't exist is compensating for a penis that does exist.

Which really doesn't say much at all.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:15 pm UTC

This is mine.

Her name is Vivienne.

Your analysis may begin....now.
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:12 pm UTC

I can tell today's comic has forever changed my thought process because I just saw a bald middle-aged man speeding down a small suburban road near my house in a cyan (well, to be honest, it was more turquoise) convertible, and immediately thought, he's probably compensating for his red penis.

Although, that doesn't work nearly as well because red is close enough to a color a dick can actually be.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:22 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:

Your dick is infinite.

That seems really impractical.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:57 pm UTC

If there were an infinite dick, would that mean that the whole universe was fucked?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:04 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:If there were an infinite dick, would that mean that the whole universe was fucked?

It can be infinite in length or surface area, or even in number of complexions, while taking up a volume smaller than the average penis the average of all finite penises (just to be clear). :)

Keyman wrote:Your analysis may begin....now.

You're so insecure about your financial situation that you feel the need to boast about being able to afford a car on an internet forum.
I know I'm right, because everything's wrong with my car.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:45 am UTC

How would one apply all of this analysis if the owner/driver is a woman?

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:56 am UTC

Genetically, I am a northern-European mutt. I'm so white, I glow.

My car is black.

I cannot refute this comic.
Last edited by Mikeski on Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:24 am UTC

My car was recently repossessed. I was also born with a penis but have terribly little attachment to it.

I got nothing.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:25 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:How would one apply all of this analysis if the owner/driver is a woman?

It depends - do they co-ordinate their car with their regular penis, or do they match it with what their regular penis would drive?

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:49 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:How would one apply all of this analysis if the owner/driver is a woman?

It doesn't, really, because women don't compensate so much anyway - 77% as much as men's rate of compensation. Or so I heard.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:16 pm UTC

She can afford to be a shallow person because...

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:23 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:

It doesn't, really, because women don't compensate so much anyway - 77% as much as men's rate of compensation. Or so I heard.

*Like*
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:02 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:
ps.02 wrote:

*Funnies*

HITFY

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”