1593: "Play by Play"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

higgs-boson

1593: "Play by Play"

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:21 am UTC

"The thrower started hitting the bats too much, so the king of the game told him to leave and brought out another thrower from thrower jail."

In my country, a TV station, target audience "typical house-wife", won (for whatever reason) the auction for the broadcast license of an international soccer tournament. It was a long time ago, but now ... I remember.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

kodiac

Re: 1593: "Play by Play"

Postby kodiac » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:29 am UTC

I don't know much about baseball, but enough to understand the comic.
I'd like to see Beret Guy commentating a cricket match.

Is Beret Guy sticking to the ten hundred most common words, as per Thing Explainer?

selene

Postby selene » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:30 am UTC

I was really expecting a Back to the Future comic today.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:39 am UTC

selene wrote:I was really expecting a Back to the Future comic today.

The game he's commenting on is Cubs vs Miami. (Cubs win).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:06 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
selene wrote:I was really expecting a Back to the Future comic today.

The game he's commenting on is Cubs vs Miami. (Cubs win).

*sigh* there's nothing left for me to say. So I'll just leave this here for your enjoyment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxoPaDk7a0U
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

bondsbw

Postby bondsbw » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:14 am UTC

If you've ever watched CBS cover a college football game, this may seem very familiar.

JDGA

Postby JDGA » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:39 am UTC

This felt like one that's gone through the simplewriter. Unfortunately it doesn't quite fit, but it sure feels like it does.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:59 am UTC

This reminds me of the USA's historic victory over Mexico in the 2002 World Cup, in which "Landon Donovan, alone in the danger area ... top-bodie[d] the sphere into the score bag" so that his team won "by two soccer points to no-score".

(see also this).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

nigenet
Location: Sunny Buxton, Derbyshire, UK (Where the water comes from)

Postby nigenet » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:35 am UTC

This did remind me of the classic IT Crowd Go To Watch A Football Match moment :-)

"Your mother ate my dog!"
"Not all of him..."

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:15 am UTC

Beret Guy wrote:The next guy has a big bat [...]

I was just investigating whether different baseball players would actually use noticeably different sized bats, and came across this:
The Great Wiki wrote:The bat drop of a bat is its weight, in ounces, minus its length, in inches. For example, a 30-ounce, 33-inch-long bat has a bat drop of minus 3 (30 − 33 = −3). Larger bat drops help to increase swing speed. Bats with smaller drops create more power.

Ughh. A dimensional catastrophe!

derekschroer

Postby derekschroer » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:12 am UTC

To me it feels like he's making fun of Joe Buck, famous sports anouncer.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:21 am UTC

kodiac wrote:I'd like to see Beret Guy commentating a cricket match.

Missing David Coleman, are we?

kasmeneo

Postby kasmeneo » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:42 am UTC

GOOMHR. That comic about sums it up how I perceive a baseball match.
It's cooler up here.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:48 am UTC

Let's try Cricket:

Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:03 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Let's try Cricket:
[image snipped]

That doesn't sound quite right. You don't "sometimes get men still in and not out", you have a not-out at the end of every innings*. And it only describes a single innings, whereas most (if not all) competitive cricket matches have two innings for each team. I may have remembered it wrong, but I'm sure that when I first saw this (in the late '70s or early '80s) it was done better.

* unless it's possible for both remaining batsmen to be dismissed simultaneously, but I can't think of a way that could happen.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:27 pm UTC

I sincerely hope this comic makes all my playoff-crazy friends laugh. They're mostly KC and Cubbies fans -- I mean, heck, you really think I would associate with Mets fans? yuck.

However, I challenge even this XKCD announcer to describe the Blue Jays infamous inning of last week. As they say, "you could look it up."
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Muswell

Postby Muswell » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:40 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
[image snipped]

That doesn't sound quite right. You don't "sometimes get men still in and not out", you have a not-out at the end of every innings*. And it only describes a single innings, whereas most (if not all) competitive cricket matches have two innings for each team. I may have remembered it wrong, but I'm sure that when I first saw this (in the late '70s or early '80s) it was done better.

* unless it's possible for both remaining batsmen to be dismissed simultaneously, but I can't think of a way that could happen.

Well, the ball's not dead until the Umpire makes a decision, so couldn't you theoretically run out both players while the umpire's making a decision on whether the first man made his ground?

One-day matches and Twenty20 matches (both of which are increasingly common) have one innings for each team, multi-day matches generally have two. Test matches and other First Class matches all have two innings per team (subject to bad light, rain, innings victories etc).

Also you can potentially have "men" (as opposed to just a man) not out if the innings isn't completed because either they've declared or they've met their run target.

I'm just imaging Beret Guy saying "And now the players are arguing about whether, in another universe where the leg of one of the men with a weird club was in a different place, the ball would have knocked one of the horizontal bits of wood off the vertical bits" for an lbw call.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:02 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
[image snipped]

One day and 20-20 matches are one innings each. It's only test matches that are 2 innings.

I don't think the wording of that has changed in all the places that I've seen it.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:11 pm UTC

I consider myself roundly corrected. I'm not really that into Pokemon cricket anyway.

Muswell wrote:I'm just imaging Beret Guy saying "And now the players are arguing about whether, in another universe where the leg of one of the men with a weird club was in a different place, the ball would have knocked one of the horizontal bits of wood off the vertical bits" for an lbw call.

For the use of irrealis in sports, see also: penalty try.

Velo Steve

Postby Velo Steve » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:16 pm UTC

Oh no. Does this mean that World Series thing is happening again soon? I usually realize it after about 3 games have been played already.

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:18 pm UTC

Made me think of this... Hehe
Attachments
image.png

grumblebee

Postby grumblebee » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:45 pm UTC

Hmm, Reminds me of the "John Mayer calls a baseball game" on youtube. Classic.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:29 pm UTC

He'd reuse his term "thrower" and everyone would blow a gasket wanting to explain how bowling isn't throwing.

I guess I don't really see the humor in today's episode. "Guy tries to describe something in real time that he clearly doesn't understand" ... we all know that guy, right? I've been that guy, I'm sorry to say. I suppose the joke is that somehow or other he has been given the implied legitimacy of a broadcast announcer?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:42 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:

He'd reuse his term "thrower" and everyone would blow a gasket wanting to explain how bowling isn't throwing.

I guess I don't really see the humor in today's episode. "Guy tries to describe something in real time that he clearly doesn't understand" ... we all know that guy, right? I've been that guy, I'm sorry to say. I suppose the joke is that somehow or other he has been given the implied legitimacy of a broadcast announcer?

Well, he has a headset, and he's sitting at a desk. He could just be sitting there talking to himself.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:49 pm UTC

This reminds me of that reporter who live blogged a football press conference without knowing German.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

HES

Postby HES » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:02 pm UTC

Angua wrote:This reminds me of that reporter who live blogged a football press conference without knowing German.

I presume said conference was in German?
He/Him/His Image

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:08 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Well, he has a headset, and he's sitting at a desk. He could just be sitting there talking to himself.

"For those just joining us..." - clearly he thinks he has an audience. But you're right. Maybe his wife and kids got tired of saying "Geez, Dad, just this once, could you not do that?" and being ignored, and sneaked back to a bedroom to watch the game in peace.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:10 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Angua wrote:This reminds me of that reporter who live blogged a football press conference without knowing German.

I presume said conference was in German?

Yes.

Sadly I can't remember enough to find it. Someone posted it in the Other news thread.
GNU Terry Pratchett

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:52 pm UTC

It's interesting to compare this with Munro's take on Superbowl:

https://xkcd.com/1480/

ce

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:54 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:Well, he has a headset, and he's sitting at a desk. He could just be sitting there talking to himself.

"For those just joining us..." - clearly he thinks he has an audience. But you're right. Maybe his wife and kids got tired of saying "Geez, Dad, just this once, could you not do that?" and being ignored, and sneaked back to a bedroom to watch the game in peace.

For most people, sure, saying that would indicate they had (or expected) an audience. With this guy, he could just be talking to passing air-molecules

Cervisiae Amatorem

Postby Cervisiae Amatorem » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:39 pm UTC

I think the "I don't know even the most basic rules of the most popular sport in my country" bit is a little played out.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:46 pm UTC

I'd like to see him do a Brockian Ultra-Cricket match.

Jay911

Postby Jay911 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:00 pm UTC

As someone who has been watching the Jays' battle through the postseason, I would watch this broadcaster over the terrible, horrible garbage we have been subjected to by Fox. Bring back our own announcers!

toddgeorge

Postby toddgeorge » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:37 pm UTC

Cervisiae Amatorem wrote:I think the "I don't know even the most basic rules of the most popular sport in my country" bit is a little played out.

Agreed. It reminds me of the people who think it's funny to tweet/FB post something to the effect of "Oh, is there some sort of sportsball match being played today??" during the Super Bowl. Yeah, yeah, we get it - you're not a sports fan. Whatever.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:17 pm UTC

toddgeorge wrote:
Cervisiae Amatorem wrote:I think the "I don't know even the most basic rules of the most popular sport in my country" bit is a little played out.

Agreed. It reminds me of the people who think it's funny to tweet/FB post something to the effect of "Oh, is there some sort of sportsball match being played today??" during the Super Bowl. Yeah, yeah, we get it - you're not a sports fan. Whatever.
Except, White Beret Guy isn't a stand-in for Randall, and as previously linked, Randall himself seems to get annoyed at the "sportsball" dismissal of sporting events by geeks who take pride in being ignorant about them.

This is only an "I'm not into sports" bit to the extent that Up Goer Five was an "I'm not into space" bit.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:49 pm UTC

It's interesting, though, that the same geeks use the same kind of humorous mis-terminology in phrases like "the interweb", where the point is to take pride in their knowledge of the field and lampoon the clueless.

truenorth

Postby truenorth » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:55 pm UTC

I'd actually watch a baseball game with this guy calling it. Also reminds me of the Irish sailing commentator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gPjMvTmE2g

Tova

Postby Tova » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:50 pm UTC

"I don't understand sports" is kind of a recurring theme, so maybe this is his way of acknowledging Back To The Future day after all...

Tova

Postby Tova » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:54 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
toddgeorge wrote:

Except, White Beret Guy isn't a stand-in for Randall, and as previously linked, Randall himself seems to get annoyed at the "sportsball" dismissal of sporting events by geeks who take pride in being ignorant about them.

This is only an "I'm not into sports" bit to the extent that Up Goer Five was an "I'm not into space" bit.

It's still an "I'm not into sports" joke, whether the character is a stand-in for Randall or not.

And it's really not the same as the comic you've linked. Up Goer Five explains something technical in simple terms. Today's comic doesn't do anything of the sort.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:22 am UTC

Thank you Jackpot777. I know enough about sports to mix the rules. One question I ask during American football games is "Why don't they call traveling?". As to the"Back to the Future" reference, the Halloween comet is going to crush the earth to fix the paradox of the Cubs not winning the series. Thank you Chicago.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”