1525: “Emojic 8 Ball”

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Re: 1525: “Emojic 8 Ball”

Postby slinches » Fri May 15, 2015 6:56 pm UTC

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri May 15, 2015 7:08 pm UTC

Ha!

Heimhenge wrote:OK, I just checked and I do have the Segoe UI Symbol font installed (as well as Segoe UI, Light, and Semibold). That is the font I need to see the emoji characters, right? Running Firefox 37.0.2 on Windows 7x64. Not seeing the emoji.

Or do I need some Firefox plugin to make this work?

No plugin, no. Once it's installed, it just works like a font. I hate to ask a stupid question, but did you restart the browser?
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri May 15, 2015 7:43 pm UTC

slinches wrote:What would Jesus do?
Spoiler:
WWJD.png

He'd have a
Spoiler:
Last lap dance from someone in a bikini instead of a last supper?
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Fri May 15, 2015 7:48 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:Ha!

Heimhenge wrote:OK, I just checked and I do have the Segoe UI Symbol font installed (as well as Segoe UI, Light, and Semibold). That is the font I need to see the emoji characters, right? Running Firefox 37.0.2 on Windows 7x64. Not seeing the emoji.

Or do I need some Firefox plugin to make this work?

No plugin, no. Once it's installed, it just works like a font. I hate to ask a stupid question, but did you restart the browser?

Should not have needed to, as that font was previously installed. Tried it anyway, and no joy. Getting some characters, but every once in awhile I still get the little rectangles with the hex code in them. Mozilla says I need to have "allow pages to choose their own fonts" selected, so I looked, and I do indeed have that option checked. Puzzling. Any other ideas?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri May 15, 2015 8:04 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Flumble wrote:TIL there's an optional update for windows 7 that adds emoji to Segoe UI. Let's see if Firefox will use the glyphs, since Lucida and Helvetica are preferred fonts on xkcd for some obscure reason. 😒

[edit] Yay, most of the emoji show up now.

...but not all - appropriately enough, the confirmation of this is glyph 01F404 which is not found...

Edit: Unicode Lookup also fails to recognise it.

I could see U+01F404 even before, through DejaVu Sans (it's listed on the wiki page about Emoji). And it's in the updated Segoe UI Symbol too.

Heimhenge wrote:Should not have needed to, as that font was previously installed. Tried it anyway, and no joy. Getting some characters, but every once in awhile I still get the little rectangles with the hex code in them. Mozilla says I need to have "allow pages to choose their own fonts" selected, so I looked, and I do indeed have that option checked. Puzzling. Any other ideas?

Yeah, Segoe doesn't have all glyphs. You'll need some other fancy fonts (like an Android emoji font) to get them all.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri May 15, 2015 8:34 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
Flumble wrote:TIL there's an optional update for windows 7 that adds emoji to Segoe UI. Let's see if Firefox will use the glyphs, since Lucida and Helvetica are preferred fonts on xkcd for some obscure reason. 😒

[edit] Yay, most of the emoji show up now.

...but not all - appropriately enough, the confirmation of this is glyph 01F404 which is not found...

Edit: Unicode Lookup also fails to recognise it.

I could see U+01F404 even before, through DejaVu Sans (it's listed on the wiki page about Emoji). And it's in the updated Segoe UI Symbol too.

Doesn't appear for me - Firefox 37.0.2 on Win7 64 bit with the linked update previously applied anyway...

Nor Firefox 38.0.1 which just updated.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri May 15, 2015 8:54 pm UTC

Enter it into the evidence log.

Evidence 1412A.JPG

Plutarch

Postby Plutarch » Fri May 15, 2015 9:01 pm UTC

While I'm enjoying this XKCD, I'm troubled by the word 'Emogic.' If the language is Emogi, would 'Emogic' be the natural adjective? Thinking of another language that ends in an 'i', there's Hindustani. I don't think that would change to 'Hindustanic 8 Ball.' Maybe 'Hindustanian', but more likely just 'Hindustani 8 Ball.' So should this XKCD really be 'Emoji 8 Ball?' (Maybe there are rules for this sort of thing that I'm unaware of.)

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Fri May 15, 2015 9:17 pm UTC

Plutarch wrote:While I'm enjoying this XKCD, I'm troubled by the word 'Emogic.' If the language is Emogi, would 'Emogic' be the natural adjective? Thinking of another language that ends in an 'i', there's Hindustani. I don't think that would change to 'Hindustanic 8 Ball.' Maybe 'Hindustanian', but more likely just 'Hindustani 8 Ball.' So should this XKCD really be 'Emoji 8 Ball?' (Maybe there are rules for this sort of thing that I'm unaware of.)
Emoji isn't a language. Emoji is a countable noun whose plural is also emoji (like moose or sheep): 🐱 is one emoji, 🐰🐸 is two emoji. And I don't think there's any general rule in English for how to form adjectives meaning "relating to X" from nouns; it seems fairly arbitrary.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she(?)(?(?)(?))(?(?(?))(?))(?) · Forum game scores
I'm cool, just look at my sunglasses. 8-)
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
flicky1991 wrote:In both cases the quote is "I'm being quoted too much!"

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri May 15, 2015 9:24 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Doesn't appear for me - Firefox 37.0.2 on Win7 64 bit with the linked update previously applied anyway...

Interesting, does it render in your favourite text editor using the right font? If so, does your Options->Content->Fonts->Advanced dialog show anything unusual?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri May 15, 2015 9:55 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:Doesn't appear for me - Firefox 37.0.2 on Win7 64 bit with the linked update previously applied anyway...

Interesting, does it render in your favourite text editor using the right font? If so, does your Options->Content->Fonts->Advanced dialog show anything unusual?

No idea how to get the characters - trying alt+[128004] gives the same as alt+[1028] (0x404)...

hujackus

Postby hujackus » Fri May 15, 2015 10:52 pm UTC

Since today's comic doesn't have a title text, I looked up the transcript in the source code instead. It reads

Sorry blind people. There is no title text, even. Just a text box, an "ask" button, and a graphic that changes to a random emojii.
This one doesn't seem to be for you.

I found it to be a little comical to include air quotes in a transcript that will not be read, but heard by most visually impaired xkcd fans.

mattman00000

Postby mattman00000 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:57 pm UTC

I just wanted to post the complete list.

🙅🙆🙇🙋🙌🙍🙎🙏✂✈✉✊✋✌✏❄❤🚀🚃🚄🚅🚇🚉🚌🚏🚑🚒🚓🚕🚗🚙🚚🚢🚤🚥🚧🚨🚩🚪🚫🚬🚲🚶🚽🛀⌚⌛⏰⏳☁☎☔☕♨♻♿⚓⚡⚽⚾⛄⛅⛪⛲⛳⛵⛺⭐⛽🃏🌀🌁🌂🌃🌄🌅🌆🌇🌈🌉🌊🌋🌏🌙🌛🌟🌠🌰🌱🌴🌵🌷🌸🌹🌺🌻🌼🌽🌾🌿🍀🍁🍂🍃🍄🍅🍆🍇🍈🍉🍊🍌🍍🍎🍏🍑🍒🍓🍔🍕🍖🍗🍘🍙🍚🍛🍜🍝🍞🍟🍠🍡🍢🍣🍤🍥🍦🍧🍨🍩🍪🍫🍬🍭🍮🍯🍰🍱🍲🍳🍴🍵🍶🍷🍸🍹🍺🍻🎀🎁🎂🎃🎄🎅🎆🎇🎈🎉🎊🎋🎌🎍🎎🎏🎐🎑🎒🎓🎠🎡🎢🎣🎤🎥🎦🎧🎨🎩🎪🎫🎬🎭🎮🎯🎰🎱🎲🎳🎴🎵🎶🎷🎸🎹🎺🎻🎽🎾🎿🏀🏁🏂🏃🏄🏆🏈🏊🏠🏡🏢🏣🏥🏦🏧🏨🏩🏪🏫🏬🏭🏮🏯🏰🐌🐍🐎🐑🐒🐔🐗🐘🐙🐚🐛🐜🐝🐞🐟🐠🐡🐢🐣🐤🐥🐦🐧🐨🐩🐫🐬🐭🐮🐯🐰🐱🐲🐳🐴🐵🐶🐷🐸🐹🐺🐻🐼🐽🐾👀👂👃👄👅👆👇👈👉👊👋👌👍👎👏👐👑👒👓👔👕👖👗👘👙👚👛👜👝👞👟👠👡👢👣👤👦👧👨👩👪👫👮👯👰👱👴👶👷👸👹👺👻👼👽👾👿💀💁💂💃💄💅💆💇💈💉💊💋💌💍💎💏💐💑💒💓💔💕💖💗💘💙💚💛💜💝💞💟💠💡💢💣💤💥💦💧💨💩💪💫💬💮💯💰💲💳💵💸💺💻💼💽💾💿📀📃📅📆📈📉📌📍📎📓📔📕📖📞📟📠📡📣📦📧📫📰📱📷📹📺📻📼🔊🔋🔌🔎🔐🔑🔒🔓🔔🔜🔥🔦🔧🔨🔩🔪🔫🔮🗻🗼🗽🗾🗿😴🚁🚂🚆🚈🚊🚍🚎🚐🚔🚖🚘🚛🚜🚝🚞🚟🚠🚡🚣🚦🚮🚵🚿🛁🌍🌎🌜🌝🌞🌲🌳🍋🍐🍼🏇🏉🏤🐀🐁🐂🐃🐄🐅🐆🐇🐈🐉🐊🐋🐏🐐🐓🐕🐖🐪👬👭📬📭📯🔬🔭

I see 29 rectangles.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri May 15, 2015 11:02 pm UTC

mattman00000 wrote:I just wanted to post the complete list.

🙅🙆🙇🙋🙌🙍🙎🙏✂✈✉✊✋✌✏❄❤🚀🚃🚄🚅🚇🚉🚌🚏🚑🚒🚓🚕🚗🚙🚚🚢🚤🚥🚧🚨🚩🚪🚫🚬🚲🚶🚽🛀⌚⌛⏰⏳☁☎☔☕♨♻♿⚓⚡⚽⚾⛄⛅⛪⛲⛳⛵⛺⭐⛽🃏🌀🌁🌂🌃🌄🌅🌆🌇🌈🌉🌊🌋🌏🌙🌛🌟🌠🌰🌱🌴🌵🌷🌸🌹🌺🌻🌼🌽🌾🌿🍀🍁🍂🍃🍄🍅🍆🍇🍈🍉🍊🍌🍍🍎🍏🍑🍒🍓🍔🍕🍖🍗🍘🍙🍚🍛🍜🍝🍞🍟🍠🍡🍢🍣🍤🍥🍦🍧🍨🍩🍪🍫🍬🍭🍮🍯🍰🍱🍲🍳🍴🍵🍶🍷🍸🍹🍺🍻🎀🎁🎂🎃🎄🎅🎆🎇🎈🎉🎊🎋🎌🎍🎎🎏🎐🎑🎒🎓🎠🎡🎢🎣🎤🎥🎦🎧🎨🎩🎪🎫🎬🎭🎮🎯🎰🎱🎲🎳🎴🎵🎶🎷🎸🎹🎺🎻🎽🎾🎿🏀🏁🏂🏃🏄🏆🏈🏊🏠🏡🏢🏣🏥🏦🏧🏨🏩🏪🏫🏬🏭🏮🏯🏰🐌🐍🐎🐑🐒🐔🐗🐘🐙🐚🐛🐜🐝🐞🐟🐠🐡🐢🐣🐤🐥🐦🐧🐨🐩🐫🐬🐭🐮🐯🐰🐱🐲🐳🐴🐵🐶🐷🐸🐹🐺🐻🐼🐽🐾👀👂👃👄👅👆👇👈👉👊👋👌👍👎👏👐👑👒👓👔👕👖👗👘👙👚👛👜👝👞👟👠👡👢👣👤👦👧👨👩👪👫👮👯👰👱👴👶👷👸👹👺👻👼👽👾👿💀💁💂💃💄💅💆💇💈💉💊💋💌💍💎💏💐💑💒💓💔💕💖💗💘💙💚💛💜💝💞💟💠💡💢💣💤💥💦💧💨💩💪💫💬💮💯💰💲💳💵💸💺💻💼💽💾💿📀📃📅📆📈📉📌📍📎📓📔📕📖📞📟📠📡📣📦📧📫📰📱📷📹📺📻📼🔊🔋🔌🔎🔐🔑🔒🔓🔔🔜🔥🔦🔧🔨🔩🔪🔫🔮🗻🗼🗽🗾🗿😴🚁🚂🚆🚈🚊🚍🚎🚐🚔🚖🚘🚛🚜🚝🚞🚟🚠🚡🚣🚦🚮🚵🚿🛁🌍🌎🌜🌝🌞🌲🌳🍋🍐🍼🏇🏉🏤🐀🐁🐂🐃🐄🐅🐆🐇🐈🐉🐊🐋🐏🐐🐓🐕🐖🐪👬👭📬📭📯🔬🔭

I see 29 rectangles.

I see 63 rectangles.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sat May 16, 2015 12:25 am UTC

Plutarch wrote:While I'm enjoying this XKCD, I'm troubled by the word 'Emogic.' If the language is Emogi, would 'Emogic' be the natural adjective? Thinking of another language that ends in an 'i', there's Hindustani. I don't think that would change to 'Hindustanic 8 Ball.' Maybe 'Hindustanian', but more likely just 'Hindustani 8 Ball.' So should this XKCD really be 'Emoji 8 Ball?' (Maybe there are rules for this sort of thing that I'm unaware of.)

I think it's to make the name similar to the the more standard Magic 8 Ball.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

Showsni

Postby Showsni » Sat May 16, 2015 12:33 am UTC

Blake'sTiger

Postby Blake'sTiger » Sat May 16, 2015 1:19 am UTC

It's a portmanteau of the words Emoji and Magic.

Bomb Bloke

Postby Bomb Bloke » Sat May 16, 2015 3:03 am UTC

Windows XP SP2 with Firefox 37. I was eventually able to get the emoji to display (in black and white, at least) by dragging the ttf files from the Symbola pack here to my Windows\Fonts directory. The "comic" seems to work and I can see mattman's full list.

On my Windows 8.1 machine (same browser), everything displayed in colour without any twerking needed.

Gargravarr

Postby Gargravarr » Sat May 16, 2015 10:15 am UTC

hordriss

Postby hordriss » Sat May 16, 2015 6:31 pm UTC

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Sat May 16, 2015 8:15 pm UTC

Bomb Bloke wrote:Windows XP SP2 with Firefox 37. I was eventually able to get the emoji to display (in black and white, at least) by dragging the ttf files from the Symbola pack here to my Windows\Fonts directory. The "comic" seems to work and I can see mattman's full list.

On my Windows 8.1 machine (same browser), everything displayed in colour without any twerking needed.

OK, I did that. Installed both TTFs in Windows. Restarted my browser. Some weird shit is still happening on my W7x64 box. Running Firefox 38.0.1. I can see ALL the characters in mattman00000's list. But when I go the cartoon, I'm still seeing hex codes for some symbols. Maybe 1 outa 15-20. And they're all grayscale ... not a color anywhere. Any suggestions most appreciated.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Sun May 17, 2015 12:13 am UTC

By the way, I asked the 8-ball about this. Answer hazy, try again.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she(?)(?(?)(?))(?(?(?))(?))(?) · Forum game scores

kelly_holden

Postby kelly_holden » Sun May 17, 2015 12:29 am UTC

screenshot-xkcd com 2015-05-17 10-24-23.png

But I don't have a car, and the tank on my bike is about 60% full.

(I also have some symbols coming up as boxes.)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun May 17, 2015 2:40 am UTC

Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Bomb Bloke

Postby Bomb Bloke » Sun May 17, 2015 3:35 am UTC

Heimhenge wrote:OK, I did that. Installed both TTFs in Windows. Restarted my browser. Some weird shit is still happening on my W7x64 box. Running Firefox 38.0.1. I can see ALL the characters in mattman00000's list. But when I go the cartoon, I'm still seeing hex codes for some symbols. Maybe 1 outa 15-20. And they're all grayscale ... not a color anywhere. Any suggestions most appreciated.

Yeah, the particular font I mentioned is black and white only. I can't seem to get XP to accept coloured fonts. Install just the hinted version for better results, and although this may be an XP-only setting, enable ClearType too.

mattman's list is apparently supposed to contain every character the 8-ball can show, but it's truncated: the forum software doesn't allow you to scroll through it to reveal everything he posted, apparently not liking all the symbols being on a single line (though the reply window, when quoting him, works, as it applies word-wrap). Here's an attempt to make it more readable, by adding some line breaks (and increasing the font size, 'cause why not):

Spoiler:
🙅🙆🙇🙋🙌🙍🙎🙏✂✈✉✊✋✌✏❄❤🚀🚃🚄🚅🚇🚉🚌🚏🚑🚒🚓🚕🚗🚙🚚🚢🚤🚥🚧🚨🚩🚪
🚫🚬🚲🚶🚽🛀⌚⌛⏰⏳☁☎☔☕♨♻♿⚓⚡⚽⚾⛄⛅⛪⛲⛳⛵⛺⭐⛽🃏🌀🌁🌂🌃🌄🌅🌆
🌇🌈🌉🌊🌋🌏🌙🌛🌟🌠🌰🌱🌴🌵🌷🌸🌹🌺🌻🌼🌽🌾🌿🍀🍁🍂🍃🍄🍅🍆🍇🍈🍉🍊🍌🍍🍎🍏
🍑🍒🍓🍔🍕🍖🍗🍘🍙🍚🍛🍜🍝🍞🍟🍠🍡🍢🍣🍤🍥🍦🍧🍨🍩🍪🍫🍬🍭🍮🍯🍰🍱🍲🍳🍴🍵
🍶🍷🍸🍹🍺🍻🎀🎁🎂🎃🎄🎅🎆🎇🎈🎉🎊🎋🎌🎍🎎🎏🎐🎑🎒🎓🎠🎡🎢🎣🎤🎥🎦🎧🎨🎩🎪🎫
🎬🎭🎮🎯🎰🎱🎲🎳🎴🎵🎶🎷🎸🎹🎺🎻🎽🎾🎿🏀🏁🏂🏃🏄🏆🏈🏊🏠🏡🏢🏣🏥🏦🏧🏨🏩🏪🏫
🏬🏭🏮🏯🏰🐌🐍🐎🐑🐒🐔🐗🐘🐙🐚🐛🐜🐝🐞🐟🐠🐡🐢🐣🐤🐥🐦🐧🐨🐩🐫🐬🐭🐮🐯🐰🐱🐲
🐳🐴🐵🐶🐷🐸🐹🐺🐻🐼🐽🐾👀👂👃👄👅👆👇👈👉👊👋👌👍👎👏👐👑👒👓👔👕👖👗👘👙👚👛👜
👝👞👟👠👡👢👣👤👦👧👨👩👪👫👮👯👰👱👴👶👷👸👹👺👻👼👽👾👿💀💁💂💃💄💅💆💇💈
💉💊💋💌💍💎💏💐💑💒💓💔💕💖💗💘💙💚💛💜💝💞💟💠💡💢💣💤💥💦💧💨💩💪💫💬
💮💯💰💲💳💵💸💺💻💼💽💾💿📀📃📅📆📈📉📌📍📎📓📔📕📖📞📟📠📡📣📦📧📫📰📱📷
📹📺📻📼🔊🔋🔌🔎🔐🔑🔒🔓🔔🔜🔥🔦🔧🔨🔩🔪🔫🔮🗻🗼🗽🗾🗿😴🚁🚂🚆🚈🚊🚍🚎🚐🚔🚖
🚘🚛🚜🚝🚞🚟🚠🚡🚣🚦🚮🚵🚿🛁🌍🌎🌜🌝🌞🌲🌳🍋🍐🍼🏇🏉🏤🐀🐁🐂🐃🐄🐅🐆🐇🐈🐉🐊🐋
🐏🐐🐓🐕🐖🐪👬👭📬📭📯🔬🔭

My bet is this reveals some more hex-codes to you.

I'm able to see at least some of the symbols without Symbola, but I'm not sure which font I'm getting them from - Symbola simply allows me to see the full list. Firefox operates by checking to see if the font the page specifies contains the characters that're being asked for, and if it doesn't, it searches your whole system for a font which does. I don't even need to reload the page to get it to show changes to my font setup, let alone restart the browser.

One font I tried to install, but XP wouldn't accept, was this one. Perhaps 7 will take it? Try removing Symbola and giving that one a go.

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Sun May 17, 2015 5:12 am UTC

Most of these are not emoji...

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Sun May 17, 2015 6:31 am UTC

3 pages of comments in, I see this question asked multiple times but no answer given.

Why is this funny, insightful, or interesting? Why is it posted as a comic on xkcd.com?

Also, is the JSON contained in a link useful for XSS purposes?

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sun May 17, 2015 6:44 am UTC

OP Tipping wrote:Most of these are not emoji...

"Emoji" has nothing to do with "emoticon." The word is Japanese in origin, emo (picture) + ji (character.) Emoji are exactly this set of pictograms, now included in unicode.

ps.02 wrote:3 pages of comments in, I see this question asked multiple times but no answer given.

Why is this funny, insightful, or interesting? Why is it posted as a comic on xkcd.com?

It's an odd thing to dink with. It's not as if Randall's never posted a comic that was actually a cereal box toy before.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sun May 17, 2015 9:17 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Whizbang wrote:
orthogon wrote:OK, I'm going to come right out and say it: these emoji do not belong in Unicode. They're not well-defined glyphs that belong to a writing system, they're just an arbitrary set of more or less cutesy pictures. (Yeah, yeah, I know that's what the CJK ideograms were originally, but they've had time to be codified into a limited set). Where will it end?

Discuss.

Computerphile's Tom Scott Explains

Thank you! That is the exact video I wanted to link in my earlier explanation but I couldn't remember exactly where Isaw it or who did it.

Great video, but in any case your (Pfhorrest's) original post explained the reasons very well. To be honest, there was a degree of devil's advocacy in what I wrote. I can completely see the arguments both ways and why in the end it was inevitable that they'd have to be added. Whether or not they're really characters or glyphs or whatever according to some definition, the fact is that emoji and wingdings have been treated like characters in the past and so any character coding scheme that aspires to universality will have to include them.

The problem I have is that they're fundamentally different to the characters in a writing system. The latter may be large in number if your language went the ideogram route, but there tends to be a natural limit to how many there are, dictated by the number that an ordinary person can learn in a reasonable timescale and remember afterwards. Beyond the simple ideas conveyed by the ideograms, more complex ones are typically conveyed by combining multiple characters to make compounds. Emoji and the like attempt to represent the entire concept in one picture, which means there will never be enough. Furthermore they lack the discreteness of proper symbols: there will always be potential for a finer granularity of happy and sad face, and different intensities of laughter. And with all the different "fonts", it's not that easy to interpret them. Even the "smilies" available on this forum include facial expressions that I have to mouse-over before I can identify. I though that :o was a big smile until I saw :D.

And then there are other problems: some of them have specific colours (there's a red book and yellow book, for some reason). For proper characters font colour is an independent property (unless somebody's going to tell me that there's a written language in which colour is used to convey meaning). But the main problem is that people will be able to come up with new emoji ad infinitum, because there are as many possible emoji as there are things concrete and abstract in heaven and earth.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Sun May 17, 2015 9:22 am UTC

Not sure what to make of this... (though of course it stopped being true when I opened the thread to post this, if not before).

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun May 17, 2015 11:32 am UTC

ps.02 wrote:Also, is the JSON contained in a link useful for XSS purposes?

Nope, it's all filtered. The question is properly escaped (by setting the value attribute of an element instead of modifying the html) and the answer strings have to match the emoji glyphs exactly. It's probably for the better, considering the widespread popularity of xkcd. (not that you can do much harm other than tracking, extremily mild ddosing, trick people into solving captchas for your spam net or running malware through flash/java plugins... actually, that's a lot of harm assuming the ignorant user always presses 'yes')

elasto

Postby elasto » Sun May 17, 2015 5:41 pm UTC

Spooky!

I asked it "Is it ironic if it rains on your wedding day?" and it replied with a church bell and some dice!

"No," it tells me, "it's just chance what happens on your wedding day."

How come it gets that and Alanis doesn't..... The Singularity cometh!!!1

Course, I asked it the same question again and this time it replied with an alien, so maybe humanity has a little longer as top dog...

Knee Jerk

Postby Knee Jerk » Sun May 17, 2015 9:36 pm UTC

hum. It's not working at all anymore for me in mobile Chrome [42.0.2311.111]. The script has changed again. I don't know. Why aren't these things tested beforehand, instead of after and then breaking for people? It still works (mostly) in mobile Firefox. (Sometimes the emoji are silhouette instead of colored.)

Eh, it was stupid anyways. ;)

Edit: strikeout text because I had JS turned off (for testing on another website) and ... I'm dumb. It actually does still work, in other words.
Last edited by Knee Jerk on Mon May 18, 2015 9:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Sun May 17, 2015 11:17 pm UTC

Asked: "Should emojic 8 ball be spelled with a j or a g?"
Answer: Right-pointing arrow above the word SOON.

Now I'm starting to get a little scared.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun May 17, 2015 11:50 pm UTC

I asked why emoji don't seem to work properly on Windows, and I got a crocodile 🐊 and a baby face.👶 So apparently you can blame Steve Irwin for dangling his baby son in front of a crocodile that one time.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

Brian-M

Postby Brian-M » Mon May 18, 2015 3:07 am UTC

orthogon wrote:(unless somebody's going to tell me that there's a written language in which colour is used to convey meaning).

Well, not a language precisely, but there is a colour-based phonetic alphabet: http://www.astrolingua.ru/ENGLISH/colorbet.htm

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon May 18, 2015 6:54 am UTC

Brian-M wrote:Well, not a language precisely, but there is a colour-based phonetic alphabet: http://www.astrolingua.ru/ENGLISH/colorbet.htm

Well, that's one way to irritate grapheme → color synesthetes.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon May 18, 2015 8:30 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:
Brian-M wrote:Well, not a language precisely, but there is a colour-based phonetic alphabet: http://www.astrolingua.ru/ENGLISH/colorbet.htm

Well, that's one way to irritate grapheme → color synesthetes.

According to that link, we're all synaesthetic and we tend to match the colours and phonemes in a similar way:
VItaly Vetash wrote:Zhuravlev had found fixed correspondance between vowels and colors statistically

That's surprising given the wide difference of opinion that I seem to recall we found amongst the synaesthetes on this forum; I suppose the graphemes may related to colours differently to the phonemes, though.

TODO: add link to the relevant forum discussion. EDIT: TODID.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon May 18, 2015 10:44 am UTC

orthogon wrote:According to that link, we're all synaesthetic and we tend to match the colours and phonemes in a similar way:
VItaly Vetash wrote:Zhuravlev had found fixed correspondance between vowels and colors statistically

That's surprising given the wide difference of opinion that I seem to recall we found amongst the synaesthetes on this forum; I suppose the graphemes may related to colours differently to the phonemes, though.

It agrees with wikipedia (which has citations I haven't bothered to check) in the statement that most people (most grapheme → color synesthetes, anyway) consider A to be red, but I can assure you, the other colours are all wrong! :D Then again, I don't have phoneme → color synesthesia that I've noticed, and I don't know exactly which phoneme they mean by A. It's only irritating if I imagine they're relating the colours to the letters underneath them, rather than whichever phonemes they mean by those letters.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Mon May 18, 2015 11:54 am UTC

It's phonemic (their "A" seems to be the IPA [a], as in "father") but yeah, that's going to be different from, and potentially interacting weirdly with, color-character synesthesia.

she / her / her

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”