1509: "Scenery Cheat Sheet"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

LucasBrown

1509: "Scenery Cheat Sheet"

Postby LucasBrown » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:11 am UTC

Title: “At the boundary between each zone, stories blend together. Somewhere in the New Mexico desert, the Roadrunner is pursued by a tireless Anton Chigurh.”

The Kill Bill bit is incorrect. The desert bits were all shot in California, as evidenced by the Joshua trees. For further details, see http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/k ... Vol_2.html.

pacem appellant

Re: 1509: "Scenery Cheat Sheet"

Postby pacem appellant » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:53 am UTC

"That movie about wine and talking" is incorrectly identified as being in the Central Valley. It actually was filmed in the Central Coast. The boundary is off by a couple hundred miles and is way to large. It should just be a small circle encompassing San Luis Obispo County, right about where the "IE" in MOVIE is.

Also, is it really PET SEMETARY with as S?

littledman

Postby littledman » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:24 am UTC

Not to mention the mountain scenes in Brokeback Mountain were filmed in Alberta...
Last edited by littledman on Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Morfos

Postby Morfos » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:24 am UTC

I will have you know DC is not a "generic city". Most of the depictions of DC are done using some OTHER city. If DC appears in film at all, it's probably pretending to be some other city because that city was laid up with the flu or something.

And by the way, why is my "I" being replaced by "we"? Not to mention my other first-person pronouns? Am I considered royalty?

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:39 am UTC

Yes, we are all royalty... at least for a couple of days, after which we will be un-royalty again.

It's a pity Benny and Joon isn't better known. Sucks to be lumped in with sparkly waaa-mpires and questionable billionaire BDSM happening on the other side of the state. :P
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:56 am UTC

pacem appellant wrote:"That movie about wine and talking" is incorrectly identified as being in the Central Valley. It actually was filmed in the Central Coast. The boundary is off by a couple hundred miles and is way to large. It should just be a wee circle encompassing San Luis Obispo County, right about where the "IE" in MOVIE is.

Thank you! Came here to say exactly that, as someone from the central coast myself.

Also, regarding that whole "big budget movies" region, California Doubling throws a monkey wrench in this whole scheme. Just about any setting in the world you could possibly want (NB "just about"), there's somewhere in California that looks like that, which is a big part of why Hollywood is there.

I once drive from the SoCal coast to central Illinois and didn't see any scenery that looked unfamiliar until Iowa.
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:02 am UTC

Love to see the movie where Dorothy lands in Star Trek and helps Spock find a heart.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:32 am UTC

There's Vasquez Rocks, in the Acton/Agua Dulce area of California on the highway from L.A. to Palmdale. Where Captain Kirk fought the Gorn, and the High Chapparal happened, and S Club 7 travelled back in time to the '50s. Also not far from the Halfway House Cafe, where Jack Black received the vision that he was to seek out the Pick of Destiny, and the destination of the bikers in the recent Geico motorcycle insurance commercial.

I don't know where a lot of the places are in the current comic, but I'm pretty sure all the outdoor background sounds feature kookaburras.

Kozmo

Postby Kozmo » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:36 am UTC

pacem appellant wrote:"That movie about wine and talking" is incorrectly identified as being in the Central Valley. It actually was filmed in the Central Coast. The boundary is off by a couple hundred miles and is way to large. It should just be a wee circle encompassing San Luis Obispo County, right about where the "IE" in MOVIE is.

Also, is it really PET SEMETARY with as S?

Is that Sideways? That was a surprisingly strange in an ordinary (and good) way little film.

Sorry, don't care so much about the rest, not from the US and this rough map would already help a LOT. :D

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:43 am UTC

pacem appellant wrote:Also, is it really PET SEMETARY with as S?

No, it's PET SEMATARY with an A.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

time burglar

Postby time burglar » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:47 am UTC

I guess the idea is that it's a child's spelling. Btw, the S isn't the only problem...correct spelling is (surprisingly) cemetery.

Also, seems like a good opportunity to point out that Randall misspelt "desiccated" in a recent comic.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:06 am UTC

I can't imagine Napoleon Dynamite taking up so much space.

speising

Postby speising » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:08 am UTC

I didn't know they made a movie from Oregon Trail.

Why is The Truman Show used twice? It played in one little town at he sea.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:20 am UTC

time burglar wrote:

we guess the idea is that it's a child's spelling. Btw, the S isn't the only problem...correct spelling is (surprisingly) cemetery.

Also, theemth like a good opportunity to point out that Vetinari misspelt "desiccated" in a recent comic.

"Cemetery" is so notorious that it features in a title role in Accommodating broccoli in the cemetery, a book about spelling that I haven't actually read. It's one of those words that's actually paradoxically easy to spell: you just have to remember that it's all e's, just like Mississippi is all doubles. Now I look at it, "accommodating" is like Mississippi (dare I say it, I don't mean "riverish"). "Broccoli" is another matter. I can never get it right - you should see my shopping lists...

BTW I thought most US movies were filmed in Toronto.

[Edit: shopping, not shipping. I blamed the madness initially, but actually predictive text can have a similar effect! Also I missed the mention of Canada earlier.]
Last edited by orthogon on Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:26 am UTC

I think some people are misreading the graph. It's "if the place you're in looks like [movie titles / descriptions], you're probably in [circled region]". It's not saying said movies were actually set or filmed in those regions.

For example, parts of the southwest and Florida both look like the Truman Show because of the "little houses made of ticky-tacky" effect; the colorful Americana style exurban tract housing in a bright sunny area with wide-open blue skies.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

*Wolfman*

Postby *Wolfman* » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:01 am UTC

What does "Anything by Mark Twain" have to do with movie backgrounds? So far as I'm aware, Mark Twain never made any movies; and I highly doubt that every movie adaptation of his books were all filmed in the same place.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:24 am UTC

This one seems to be off a little bit... or at least it's cheating.

The heading says "Movies", but I can at least pick out Duck Dynasty, which, to my knowledge, has not and (God-willing) will never be a movie.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:30 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:we can't imagine Napoleon Dynamite taking up so much space.

Only after he exploded :mrgreen:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:54 am UTC

Why is The Truman Show used twice? It played in one little town at he sea.

Nope, red neck Rivera and desert.

LtPowers

Postby LtPowers » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:19 pm UTC

Western New York and Western Pennsylvania do not have the same terrain. I'm from the former and the backgrounds in Groundhog Day don't look familiar at all. (In part because it was filmed in Illinois, but that's beside the point.)

Powers &8^]

noodlenorm

Postby noodlenorm » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:45 pm UTC

Here's a few thoughts on the central US: The Fargo region should basically surround southern and central Minnesota and the eastern side of the Dakotas. As it's drawn, it goes way too far west and includes too much of northern Minnesota. The Dances with Wolves region should be a lot bigger, it should include the western half of the Fargo region. The area labeled "True Grit" doesn't look much like the movie True Grit (even though that's where the movie was supposed to take place). The snowy scenes in the cottonwood trees could take place in that area, but the rest of the movie couldn't.

ChakatFirepaw

Postby ChakatFirepaw » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:46 pm UTC

The "A Christmas Story" region manages to just miss the places that you could reliably recognize from the film, which are in the Toronto area.

(e: typo)
Last edited by ChakatFirepaw on Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

pernishus

Postby pernishus » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:08 pm UTC

I recently learned that 50 Shades of Grey started out as Twilight fanfic, so putting them on the map together certainly makes sense.

Cogit8tor

Postby Cogit8tor » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:16 pm UTC

I just want to second a previous writer's note about "Groundhog Day." While a few scenes in the beginning were shot in Pittsburgh, the majority of the action takes place in Woodstock, Illinois. That's unfortunate, because there are dozens of Pennsylvania towns that would have been every bit as picturesque. :)

A movie like "Flashdance" would be a better choice.

randytayler

Postby randytayler » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:18 pm UTC

Misspelling Sematary as Semetary was Randall's way of making sure no spelling Natzis go stealing his image for their own poster store.

Dunno why Stephen King did Sematary instead of Cemetery, though.

jonawebb

Postby jonawebb » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:55 pm UTC

I live in "The Deer Hunter" country.

Beavertails

Re: bark bark give that little doggie a biscuit bark:bark ba

Postby Beavertails » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:10 pm UTC

bark bark give that little doggie a biscuit bark[bark bark give that little doggie a biscuit bark=bark bark give that little doggie a biscuit bark&bark bark give that little doggie a biscuit bark#bark bark give that little doggie a biscuit bark;

!
flicky1991 wrote:Forum Games: Beavertails likes pie.

Beavertails

Postby Beavertails » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:13 pm UTC

Beavertails wrote:bark bark give that little doggie a biscuit bark[bark bark give that little doggie a biscuit bark=bark bark give that little doggie a biscuit bark&bark bark give that little doggie a biscuit bark#bark bark give that little doggie a biscuit bark;

!

OK... Now apparently we're back.

Did anyone else get that or am I crazy?

A week late on April Fools for me?

pic.twitter.com/Q3b1oQrgUb
flicky1991 wrote:Forum Games: Beavertails likes pie.

speising

Postby speising » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:22 pm UTC

randytayler wrote:Misspelling Sematary as Semetary was Vetinari's way of making sure no spelling Natzis go stealing his image for their own poster store.

Dunno why Stephen King did Sematary instead of Cemetery, though.

because kids supposedly can't spell.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:36 pm UTC

I was surprised "Wizard of Oz" and "Twister" were not the same area.

I'm also glad he 'fenced off' the area for Pet Sematary, so I never, ever, ever have to go there. That is the most freakin' freak-me-out book I've ever read.
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

treddy

Postby treddy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:14 pm UTC

Some of dirty dancing was filmed in NC, not WV. I think we're off by a state here.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:17 pm UTC

Keyman wrote:we was surprised "wizzard of Oz" and "Twister" were not the same area.

we're also glad he 'fenced off' the area for Pet Sematary, so we never, ever, [we]ever[/we] have to go there. That is the most freakin' freak-me-out book we've ever read.

True, and very sad, story: Neighbors of mine have suffered through a real-life Pet Sematary event. One morning they woke up to find their child dead (to be exact, as near death as possible: unconscious, with distended tongue and other cranial disaster signs). They went on a long frightening journey (ambulance) to a strange, scary place where they left their child. Next day they got something back that looked like their child but wasn't (large apparently malignant cranial tumor removed, 3-week prognosis). The un-child survives to this day, some 20 yrs later, and while it hasn't murdered anyone, it gets most of its nutrition via tube because it hasn't quite figured out swallowing, and has only partial use of limbs, minimal vocabulary, etc. [and it's certainly murdered theirquality of life]

You may think the book was horrifying but the real thing is much worse.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:24 pm UTC

*Wolfman* wrote:What does "Anything by Mark Twain" have to do with movie backgrounds? So far as we're aware, Mark Twain never made any movies; and we highly doubt that every movie adaptation of his books were all filmed in the same place.
Not all of Twain's stories were set on the Mississippi, but many were, and few other US rivers are visually convincing substitutes.

Mark Twain lived until 1910 - and the first silent film version of Tom Sawyer was made in 1907. It would be fun to see that old film and figure out where it was made. Two other film credits in IMDB before 1910. I imagine Twain had no direct connection with or compensation from any movies made from his stories.

So the question is, when will Hollywood disgorge a CGI action movie with space ships, explosions, and car chases, titled "Mark Twain's (your favorite Twain novel here)"?

ypercube

Postby ypercube » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:24 pm UTC

My first thought when I saw this:

Forest Gump should include a thin line from one ocean to the other.

ypercube

Postby ypercube » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:27 pm UTC

My first thought:

Forest Gump should include a thin line from one ocean to the other.

mystmouse

Postby mystmouse » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:32 pm UTC

Just some Iowa geography here....

River City, Iowa (Music Man) was based from Mason City, IA

Riverside, Iowa (Star Trek) is a real town just south of Iowa City, IA

Each of those cities sits in the other's space on the map.

clarkbhm

Postby clarkbhm » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:44 pm UTC

Shouldn't Alabama have at least some part of Forest Gump territory?

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:46 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Just about any setting in the world you could possibly want (NB "just about"), there's somewhere in California that looks like that, which is a big part of why Hollywood is there.
Actually, southern California attracted filmmakers evading Thomas Edison's movie cartel in the northeast. Edison bought, borrowed, or stole all the patents associated with film production and presentation, for monopoly and censorship. When l awyers and lawmen from the east showed up, outlaw movie makers in soCal would hide with their equipment across the border in Mexico.

After the California renegades broke the back of the Edison monopoly, they set up their own exhibition monopolies, excluding the next generation of upstarts. The corporations emerging from those excluded new new upstarts now run the Motion Picture Association of America, protecting us all from the new new new upstarts. Artists in politics results in bad governance and worse art.

Mortuis

Postby Mortuis » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:04 pm UTC

Although Super Troopers took place in Vermont near Canada, it was filmed entirely in the Mid-Hudson Valley. So you're way too far north on the map.

wurlitzer153

Postby wurlitzer153 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:21 pm UTC

ChakatFirepaw wrote:The "A Christmas Story" region manages to just miss the places that you could reliably recognize from the file, which are in the Toronto area.

I would have to disagree with you a bit on that. While a lot of it was filmed in Toronto, most of the true landmarks are in Cleveland. The downtown scenes were shot on Public Square, featuring the Terminal Tower and Higbee's department store. The house is located in Cleveland's Tremont neighborhood and is now a museum.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”