1484:"Apollo Speeches"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Klear

Re: 1484:"Apollo Speeches"

Postby Klear » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:23 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:
Flumble wrote:intelligence often requires no more than "able to use a tool" or "understanding that your mirror image isn't another person". Nearly every ape around here can satisfies such levels of intelligence.

So can a substantial portion of the local grackle population. I see them at reflective windows behaving in basically three different ways: "a potential mate; court!" "a potential rival; attack!" and "I am such an awesome stud; preen!"

This reminds me of the four basic behaviours of living organisms, easily remembered as four Fs: Feeding, Fighting, Fleeing and Reproduction.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:52 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
da Doctah wrote:the local grackle population. I see them at reflective windows behaving in basically three different ways: "a potential mate; court!" "a potential rival; attack!" and "I am such an awesome stud; preen!"

This reminds me of the four basic behaviours of living organisms, easily remembered as four Fs: Feeding, Fighting, Fleeing and Reproduction.

To fit the behavior I was describing, one of those would need to be "Fix your hair and makeup".

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:55 pm UTC

ubikuberalles wrote:My first thought was an announcement that the Apollo astronauts found a secret Nazi Moon Base that's been in place since WWII. In other words, the plot to Rocket Ship Galileo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_IndUbcxc

Baccar Wozat

Postby Baccar Wozat » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:33 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:"While the moon's hatching out a giant space dragon was not anticipated, due to the resourcefulness of all at mission control, the three astronauts have returned safely to Earth, and the new space dragon egg is confirmed to be in a stable orbit."
You left out "We also extend our sincere condolences to the Republic of Mexico whose brave astronauts gave their lives", etc. etc.

pernishus

Postby pernishus » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:25 pm UTC

In the extra astronauts scenario, perhaps Neil Armstrong's alter-egos winked into existence like the scene from Xenocide.

Hopefully one of them is not the Hegemon.

mrken3235

Postby mrken3235 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:20 am UTC

In high school I was part of a trivia quiz bowl group called "Academic Challenge". We would play about three games a year with other area high schools on the local AM radio station. Teams were four people all with buzzers and there was no penalty for wrong answers. Once a week we would practice in the school library by using our own buzzer system and answering trivial pursuit questions. On the shelf right next to where we practiced was a large book, "Freedom" by William Safire. The book was so prominent in our view that if we had a question where the answer was a person's name and we were stumped we'd default and guess "William Safire". This became a running joke, so much so that we even gave this answer during a few real games. One of these days I'm going to have to read that book!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”