1395: "Power Cord"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

glasnt

1395: "Power Cord"

Postby glasnt » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:07 am UTC

In this situation, gzip /dev/inside to deflate, then pipe the compressed air to /dev/input to clean your keyboard. Avert your eyes when you do.

Something something bloatware.

anyone else being plagued by 408 errors?

keithl

Re: 1395: "Power Cord"

Postby keithl » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:11 am UTC

Hm. I've never tried blowing into my laptop's A.C. (Air Conditioner) adapter. I've always kept my machine powered by forcing compressed air through the windmill slots in the corner.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:16 am UTC

I wish I could do this to everyone who ever tells me their MacBook Air is mind-blowingly light.

StClair

Postby StClair » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:31 am UTC

Exhaled (and thus laden with extra carbon dioxide) air is not, of course, actually lighter than air.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:35 am UTC

Also works if the panels are reversed.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

megaminxwin

Postby megaminxwin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:52 am UTC

So Beret Guy has helium breath? I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:03 am UTC

I guess beret guy has a helium voice.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

PayasYouDraw

Postby PayasYouDraw » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:52 am UTC

Will my soup cable work this way or will I have to buy yet another cable.
Ah-ooooh! Rolling back the rivers in Time!

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:02 am UTC

Hold on, I'll fax one over free of charge.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:42 am UTC

StClair wrote:Exhaled (and thus laden with extra carbon dioxide) air is not, of course, actually lighter than air.

Doesn't the fact that it's warmer than ambient air temperature make up for this temporarily? Balloons seem to want to upgo when I blow them up.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:11 am UTC

I only just noticed that power cord and power chord (a musical chord voiced low, particularly on an electric guitar, and typically omitting the third) are homophones. This is a phenomenon I've noticed before with baseline and bass line, and to some extent pot pourri and popery. I always wondered whether certain phonemes just go well together and are these sequences are independently coined in a kind of convergent linguistic evoloution, or whether the existence of the term in one field influences, consciously or otherwise, the coining in another.

(I realise I could google it, and probably find out as much as I could ever want to know, but that would be to deny myself the potential for social interaction.)

We don't say "power cord" so much in the UK. "Power cable" would be more common.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:18 am UTC

I giggled, although I think I would have preferred it if the laptop had whooshed off going PBBBBBBBBTTTTTTTTT and deflating.

I suppose with this there is the opportunity to make some sort of 'floating point error' pun. I don't know.
I possibly don't pay enough attention to what's going on.
I help make architect's dreams flesh.

jalohones

Postby jalohones » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:43 am UTC

StClair wrote:Exhaled (and thus laden with extra carbon dioxide) air is not, of course, actually lighter than air.

My god, you're right! Randall gets it wrong again.

On a side note: I try to inflate cats by blowing into their tails. No luck so far. However, I'm going to try with my laptop in order to increase my strike rate.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:47 am UTC

jalohones wrote:

My god, you're right! Randall gets it wrong again.

On a side note: I try to inflate cats by blowing into their tails. No luck so far. However, I'm going to try with my laptop in order to increase my strike rate.

You might get better1 results with bigger cats. Their volume to surface ratio is bigger. Try tigers or lions

1 read: more painfull
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

jalohones

Postby jalohones » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:13 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:You might get better1 results with bigger cats. Their volume to surface ratio is bigger. Try tigers or lions

Hmm, yes. I'll need a tiger, an air compressor and a lot of bandages.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:24 am UTC

orthogon wrote:I only just noticed that power cord and power chord (a musical chord voiced low, particularly on an electric guitar, and typically omitting the third) are homophones. This is a phenomenon I've noticed before with baseline and bass line

Eh? How does "baseline" sound like the string you use to catch a fish? :mrgreen:

Meanwhile,
keithl wrote:Hm. I've never tried blowing into my laptop's A.C. (Air Conditioner) adapter. I've always kept my machine powered by forcing compressed air through the windmill slots in the corner.

Well, if you can make the cooling fan turn, it'll act as a generator, dumping electrical power back into the system. (For extra credit :twisted: calculate the CFM required to meet the wattage required to keep a laptop running)
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:35 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:
orthogon wrote:I only just noticed that power cord and power chord (a musical chord voiced low, particularly on an electric guitar, and typically omitting the third) are homophones. This is a phenomenon I've noticed before with baseline and bass line

Eh? How does "baseline" sound like the string you use to catch a fish? :mrgreen:

:D Reminds me of when I first started drinking in pubs: my friend and I realised that a tell-tale way to reveal your lack of experience and hence probable under-ageness might be to ask for "a pint of Bass" and pronounce "Bass" as in "bass guitar". (Interestingly Bass the beer isn't very common here, but appears to be a very successful export, though I'm not convinced it's the same beer at all).

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:13 pm UTC

What about this:

How much breath would it take to charge a laptop's battery by blowing into the laptop's vent and making the fan run backwards (if it contains a DC motor it wil generate some electricity)?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:09 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Well, if you can make the cooling fan turn, it'll act as a generator, dumping electrical power back into the system. (For extra credit :twisted: calculate the CFM required to meet the wattage required to keep a laptop running)

thevicente wrote:What about this:

How much breath would it take to charge a laptop's battery by blowing into the laptop's vent and making the fan run backwards (if it contains a DC motor it wil generate some electricity)?

If the fan just sat across the power rails you might be able to power the laptop from it. But in practice there's almost certainly a fan controller in the way, so you need to push the current backwards through that, which is less likely to work. As for charging the battery, I understand that charging Li-Ion batteries is non-trivial.

Assuming we can work around that, assume your vital capacity is 4.6l (=0.0046m3) and that you can blow that through the fan in 1s. Assume also that the fan has an area of 4cm2 (=0.0004m2). The air velocity is therefore 0.0046/0.0004=11.5m/s and the theoretical available power is (1/2)x1x11.53x0.0004=304mW. Assuming perfect efficiency and a power consumption around 50W, you'd need to blow for two or three hours for each minute you wanted to use the machine.

DennyMo

Postby DennyMo » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:47 pm UTC

This reminds me of the old April 1st email that used to float around the dial-up web: the phone company warned you they were going to be cleaning out their lines with compressed air, so put your external modem or PC into a plastic bag before going to bed. Otherwise, you'd risk waking up to a huge dust cloud in whatever room your computer resided. I think you were supposed to unplug your phones, too, and not plug them back in until they called to say it was OK...

(Yes, I am over the age of 40. Why do you ask?)

cct

Postby cct » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:49 pm UTC

orthogon wrote
I understand that charging Li-Ion batteries is non-trivial.

Is this in relation to
Neil_Boekend wrote:You might get better1 results with bigger cats. ...Try tigers or lions?

Although I imagine that inflating a charging Li-ion is more of a challenge than a stationary one.

cct

Postby cct » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:55 pm UTC

orthogon wrote: I always wondered whether certain phonemes just go well together and are these sequences are independently coined in a kind of convergent linguistic evoloution, or whether the existence of the term in one field influences, consciously or otherwise, the coining in another.

Well, sometimes it is a deliberate pun, e.g. Tyrannasorus rex, which Wikipedia describes as "a fossil beetle species from the Miocene."

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:01 pm UTC

cct wrote:orthogon wrote
I understand that charging Li-Ion batteries is non-trivial.

Is this in relation to
Neil_Boekend wrote:You might get better1 results with bigger cats. ...Try tigers or lions?

Although I imagine that inflating a charging Li-ion is more of a challenge than a stationary one.

Oddly enough, if you attached a laptop to a kite and attached that to the Li-ion, the laptop would only fly if the Li-ion is charging (but you'd better watch out when it starts discharging)

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:04 pm UTC

cct wrote:<snip>Is this in relation to

No man, a simple faulty charger can inflate a Li-Ion quite fast. Some would call it an explosion.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:14 pm UTC

jalohones wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:You might get better1 results with bigger cats. Their volume to surface ratio is bigger. Try tigers or lions

I'll mail you a bobcat.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:18 pm UTC

ThemePark wrote:
jalohones wrote:

I'll mail you a bobcat.

Instead of bobcat, package contained office chair. Would not buy again.

DanD

Postby DanD » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:13 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:I giggled, although I think I would have preferred it if the laptop had whooshed off going PBBBBBBBBTTTTTTTTT and deflating.

But the air is obviously stored in the battery. You're only going to get it to fly off if you short across the terminals.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:57 pm UTC

Am I really the only one not getting the joke here? Is it just the absurdism of it?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:01 pm UTC

It is White Beret Guy. He gets his soup out of a power outlet. You could naval gaze all day about the meaning behind anything he does, but in the end it is just silliness.

Although why the cord was disconnected from the wall rather than the back of the laptop (or both) is a bit strange. If you are using a laptop next to an outlet, wouldn't most people just plug it in? At the very least it prevents people from blowing into the other end and ruining your laptop.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:38 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Although why the cord was disconnected from the wall rather than the back of the laptop (or both) is a bit strange.

Maybe someone else was vacuuming and needed the socket.
He/Him/His Image

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:53 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:and the theoretical available power is (1/2)x1x11.53x0.0004=304mW. Assuming perfect efficiency and a power consumption around 50W, you'd need to blow for two or three hours for each minute you wanted to use the machine.

What if you were typing really fast at the same time?

Essah

Postby Essah » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:25 am UTC

mental image of a cloud of dust being blown up from the keyboard after entering /pipeTo/dev/input and pressing enter

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:36 am UTC

glasnt wrote:anyone else being plagued by 408 errors?
In case you haven't seen it yet, there's a thread about that in Site/Forum Issues. (So, yes, someone else is.)
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she(?)(?(?)(?))(?(?(?))(?))(?) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
flicky1991 wrote:In both cases the quote is "I'm being quoted too much!"
chridd (on Discord) wrote:
Dummy wrote:Sorry You're Gay Dads
SYG'D

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:07 am UTC

Whizbang wrote:[...] You could naval gaze all day [...]

Is that what you do through a periscope? :wink:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:54 pm UTC

megaminxwin wrote:So Beret Guy has helium breath? I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised.

Nah, he just runs on cartoon logic.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:05 pm UTC

The unintended consequences of installing LaTeX on your laptop? :]
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:56 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Whizbang wrote:[...] You could naval gaze all day [...]

Is that what you do through a periscope? :wink:

As opposed to a peritoneoscope.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:23 am UTC

Whizbang wrote:It is White Beret Guy. He gets his soup out of a power outlet. You could naval gaze all day about the meaning behind anything he does, but in the end it is just silliness.

That's a soup outlet. It is clearly labeled as such.
Hmm, now I want to label one of the outlets in my kitchen with "soep" (Dutch for soup).

he/him/his

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:10 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:That's a soup outlet. It is clearly labeled as such..

Much like complaining that this elevator doesn't go to the zeppelin floor.
He/Him/His Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”