1384: Krypton

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Djehutynakht

Re: 1384: Krypton

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:02 pm UTC

This might actually make an interesting backstory for a Superman super-villain.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:28 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:This might actually make an interesting backstory for a Superman super-villain.

Given the planet's whole 'exploded' status ---- how would that work? :? I can't imagine the backstory going any further than that.

"We found the remains of an alien baby in the rubble of Krypton."
"He must have been sent there just before the planet exploded. If he'd lived, he would have grown into a force able to take down Superman."
"What a shame. Well - who's up tacos?"
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:48 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:This might actually make an interesting backstory for a Superman super-villain.

Given the planet's whole 'exploded' status ---- how would that work? :? I can't imagine the backstory going any further than that.

"He must have been sent there just before the planet exploded. If he'd lived, he would have grown into a force able to take down Superman."

You've got no imagination.

"What's that pattern showing up in our sonic MRI [yeah I know that makes no sense, but this IS a comic book] scan of this giant hunk of ex-Kryptonian rubble? It looks almost like a human baby."
"But its density is similar to that of Purple Kryptonite!" [go ahead, look it up: Red and Green were the most common to appear in Superman, but there were other colors too]
"Let's crack this rock open and have a closer look.... aaaaaah AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH It's ALIIIIIIIIVE!"
(fade to opening credits, followed by slow dissolve to peaceful scene on Terra, about to be shattered as a half-human, half-PurpleKryptonite monster returns to his place of origin)
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:07 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:

Oh, cmon, there have been enough survivors of krypton to populate enough comics that this really isn't an issue. Hell, there's the whole bottle city of them, for instance.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:13 pm UTC

But this isn't a Kryptonian baby we're talking about. This is a human baby sent to Krypton moments before it explodes.

Idea: Jor-El, watching his baby shooting off to the stars, sees this human baby coming in. He sends a Kryptonian ship to intercept and protect the human baby. He also uses this as a second life-boat project where he sends out more Kryptonian DNA to seed the galaxy. Human baby + Kryptonian technology + Kryptonian DNA + Exploding plant + Abandonment Issues = Super Lex Luther (Now with Kryptonite immunity!)

dp2

Postby dp2 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:21 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
Philbert wrote:I have been near a cry-baby (mine), but still this strip puts me off on a deep instinctive level.

I immediately got that this was about Superman, I just don't think sending away babies to exploding stars is funny. It's also an impractical and expensive way of achieving what you want.
I hope I'm missing a subtler joke.

How do you feel about putting a crying baby in a basket and setting it adrift among the bulrushes?

Because it's annoying and I want it to die? Or because the occupying army has been acting all geno-infanticidal?

Dan H

Postby Dan H » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:23 pm UTC

Swing and a miss, Randall.

But I'd much rather read a comic that tries and occasionally fails than a comic that endlessly recycles punch lines about, say, cats that love lasagna.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:23 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:
da Doctah wrote:
Philbert wrote:I have been near a cry-baby (mine), but still this strip puts me off on a deep instinctive level.

I immediately got that this was about Superman, I just don't think sending away babies to exploding stars is funny. It's also an impractical and expensive way of achieving what you want.

How do you feel about putting a crying baby in a basket and setting it adrift among the bulrushes?

Because it's annoying and I want it to die? Or because the occupying army has been acting all geno-infanticidal?

Also, are the bulrushes going to explode?

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:30 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:But this isn't a Kryptonian baby we're talking about. This is a human baby sent to Krypton moments before it explodes.

Idea: Jor-El, watching his baby shooting off to the stars, sees this human baby coming in. He sends a Kryptonian ship to intercept and protect the human baby. He also uses this as a second life-boat project where he sends out more Kryptonian DNA to seed the galaxy. Human baby + Kryptonian technology + Kryptonian DNA + Exploding plant + Abandonment Issues = Super Lex Luther (Now with Kryptonite immunity!)

Eh, it's comics. Nobody stays dead.

I can buy this as an awesome villain intro. Hell, who knows? With all the superman stuff out there, something akin to this may be canon. Or have been canon or whatever at some point before various major events and resets or what not...

hamjudo

Postby hamjudo » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:51 pm UTC

Whoa, things are getting a little tense here. Let's all calm down by singing a little lullaby. I suggest we sing Rock-a-Bye Baby. A relaxing song about dropping babies from trees. Here is the oldest version shown on wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock-a-bye_Baby

The first printed version from Mother Goose's Melody (London, c. 1765), has the following lyrics:

Hush-a-by baby
On the tree top,
When the wind blows
The cradle will rock.
When the bough breaks,
The cradle will fall,
And down will fall baby
Cradle and all.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:12 pm UTC

hamjudo wrote:Whoa, things are getting a little tense here. Let's all calm down by singing a little lullaby. I suggest we sing Rock-a-Bye Baby. A relaxing song about dropping babies from trees. Here is the oldest version shown on wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock-a-bye_Baby

The first printed version from Mother Goose's Melody (London, c. 1765), has the following lyrics:

Hush-a-by baby
On the tree top,
When the wind blows
The cradle will rock.
When the bough breaks,
The cradle will fall,
And down will fall baby
Cradle and all.

Yes, truly a horrible poem. I bowdlerize it, myself... My infant daughter has a Glow-worm toy that plays music while I sing along (cycling through maybe 5 or 6 familiar tunes, it's not hard to learn the pattern...) and one of them is the tune to Rock-a-bye Baby, but ever since the Simpsons pointed it out, I dislike those words. So I sing the words to "Hickory Dickory Dock" in its place, before moving on to Baa-baa-Blacksheep / Twinkle-Twinkle / ABCDEFG. Oh, also - singing (and/or employing Glow-worm) is a more efficient way to stop a crying baby then exporting her to another solar system. Just saying.

--- That's it, I'm outta here.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

teelo

Postby teelo » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:43 pm UTC

not lol

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:51 pm UTC

Wow we got some sensitive people around here. Do yourselves a favor and never go to a Rocky Horror Picture show, or you'll hear lines like these:

Dr. Frank-N-Furter: "Whatever happened to Fay Wray? That delicate, satin-draped frame. As it clung to her thigh..."
Audience Callback: "Like a homesick abortion!"
Dr. Frank-N-Furter: "How I started to cry..."
Audience Callback: "You'd cry too if you were a homesick abortion, 'mommy mommy please let me back in it's cold out here'!"
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:19 am UTC

I found the comic superficially entertaining and didn't feel the need to examine it deeply for serious issues. After all, the premise is obviously ludicrous in the first place - there are much simpler ways of avoiding being annoyed by a crying baby which don't involve correctly predicting that a planet is doomed long before its own inhabitants are aware of it - in fact, with enough lead time to ship the baby there before the planet's destroyed. Just the timescales involved make it obviously ludicrous - adopting a multi-decade solution to a problem that resolves itself in a year or two.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:14 am UTC

Everyone and their overreactions! Dead baby jokes is where every went when they couldn't figure it out? Sheesh!

I may be ninja'd on this, but it appears to be the following:
They don't know this baby, but it's nearby and annoying them. They (and not the baby) go to Krypton to evade the crying. This is confirmed with the title text. Lastly, it is most likely the Superman baby that is crying (probably a really loud crier, being superhuman) because he was sent to Earth since Krypton was unstable...which is how the comic started.

Could anyone follow that?

Edit: Okay, *shrug*, I could be wrong. It's pointed out that a spacecraft is leaving the planet just as the rocket is arriving. That's where Kal-el would be, right? Hmm. So, back to dead baby jokes. lol.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:19 am UTC

The baby doesn't necessarily die. The title-text is deliberately vague on that.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:57 am UTC

There's nothing vague about baby murder, HES! ;)

I wonder if Randall is trying to get more ICT threads closed. Hah!

Last comment, on the baby crying and being a parent. I'm not too sure what colicky means, except for lots of crying, but I've never wanted to kill my baby so he'd shut up. :roll: That's what they're for, to cry until they can talk. Be happy with what you have. Sending that baby away means you don't have a baby anymore, so you probably should have started out with your non-baby-having options (sanitized language to avoid fire). But I won't fault any other parent or Randall for having a "thought", as long as it's transient.

Edit: Hmm, can't get a stable interpretation of this comic. It seems that the two adults there are not the parents of this baby. They call it "that baby". So, that's rude of them. Plus, half of what I last said doesn't really apply anymore, then.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

StClair

Postby StClair » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:31 am UTC

man, that's just cold.

ruurdjan

Postby ruurdjan » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:23 pm UTC

I don't think they're the parent's btw. I'd call it 'our son/daughter', not 'that baby'.

My guess is they kill someone else's baby and get 'blessed' by baby superman, who, I guess, is even louder.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:31 pm UTC

RE: Calling the baby "baby".

Cueball and Megan aren't exactly "Natural Parents"

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:18 pm UTC

Why is it that people relate so well to fictional, presumably stickfigure, babies. For all we know the baby is fictional even in their fictional universe (it's never shown in the comic), it could be a baby dollhouse lego figurine stick figure. To clarify: a fictional mini baby lego figurine to be played with by dolls in the stick figure universe. It could be an imagined or a hypothetical baby in their universe. It's less similar to a real human baby than a calf, yet eating veal is completely normal but sending stick figures to a fictional exploding planet is the most heinous act imaginable?

Then again, maybe I just don't relate well to stick figures. I didn't imagine a real baby here at all, that could help. I guess I would be appalled if it would get me a visual of a real baby being hurt (I'm not going to try).

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:00 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:... but sending stick figures to a fictional exploding planet is the most heinous act imaginable?

Well, not the most heinous act imaginable, for sure. Hard to quite get the joke and laugh offhandedly? Sure. Most heinous imaginable? No. Just kind of off enough that it ruins the joke.
Last edited by Whizbang on Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:08 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

StClair

Postby StClair » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:18 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:Then again, maybe I just don't relate well to stick figures.

In a word, yes. If you don't accept the stick figures in this comic as representational of people, then... honestly, I'm not clear how you'd appreciate any of these strips. It's just lines and marks on (virtual) paper to you, right?

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:20 pm UTC

StClair wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:Then again, maybe I just don't relate well to stick figures.

In a word, yes. If you don't accept the stick figures in this comic as representational of people, then... honestly, I'm not clear how you'd appreciate any of these strips. It's just lines and marks on (virtual) paper to you, right?

I get that they represent people, but they're still fictional people. The comic also lacks a continuous storyline to suck me in and actual display of the character supposedly harmed. There is plenty of more detailed video of blowing up a fictional human populated planet, people don't seem this shocked by the thousands of babies killed on Alderaan (I was affected by that part, but it didn't negatively affect my view of the film. It did negatively affect my view of the antagonist, but I suspect that was intended).

I do think the joke's far fetched though, assuming it's "superman was sent to earth because he was a crybaby".

Ae7flux

Postby Ae7flux » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:39 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:

You mean the ancient form of deniable genocide? I'm not exactly in favour of it myself but it's only one of many horrible acts the bible tries to pass of as morally justified.
There is an x such that x entirely fails to signify just in case x lacks a specific combination of rotary and reciprocating motion.

janhunt

Postby janhunt » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:15 pm UTC

Re that crying baby, please see my article "A Baby Cries: How Should Parents Respond?"
http://www.naturalchild.org/jan_hunt/babycries.html

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:18 pm UTC

I get it.

1. All babies cry.
2. Crying in annoying.
3. The one way to make them stop crying is to kill them.
4. Or sending them to another planet.

Too bad the planet exepldoed. But hey.

Also, I know Superman's power come from Earth's yellow sun. Does it mean a Terran baby in Krypton youd be proportionally WEAKER?

That would be very weak indeed.

ALSO: Come on, a geek, (Superman comics and movie), an absurd joke (dead babies) comic = FUN!, and someone is complaining? no one is killing babies IRL. +1 to xkcd #1384

Next time you moms and dads will argue changing diapers is beautiful.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:21 pm UTC

janhunt wrote:Re that crying baby, please see my article "A Baby Cries: How Should Parents Respond?"

It was a nice read for (someone as ignorant in the field of babies as) me, but do you happen to know of opposing articles? I'd like to read about other perspectives and their arguments, reasoning and metaphors too.

Note to self: thoroughly explain and motivate opposing views and only then debunk them in an argument, not just note other views exist.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:45 am UTC

janhunt wrote:Re that crying baby, please see my article "A Baby Cries: How Should Parents Respond?"

My sister used to cry when she was tired. If she was left alone for a couple of minutes, she quieted down and fell asleep. If she was fussed over (usually by well-meaning strangers), she cried for much longer, and only slept once she was exhausted. My parents used to mention it when discussing the value of expert advice compared to direct personal experience when raising a particular child rather than a nice theoretical baby.

Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing; other times, the best thing is to intervene.

janhunt

Postby janhunt » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:21 am UTC

This is actually a cultural matter. A baby's tears only seem normal here because babies are so misunderstood and mistrusted. Babies cry only rarely in Africa, because crying receives a quick, compassionate response. See "Why African Babies Don't Cry: An African Perspective" by Claire Niala: http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/claire_niala.html .

And as Jean Liedloff wrote: "A baby's cry is precisely as serious as it sounds."

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:24 pm UTC

thevicente wrote:Also, I know Superman's power come from Earth's yellow sun. Does it mean a Terran baby in Krypton youd be proportionally WEAKER?

There was an Elseworlds story where the Kents, fearing the Earth would be destroyed, sent their baby to Krypton. Clark had to struggle w/ the higher gravity and - yes1! - the fact that the red sun was weakening him. Not totally relevant, but cool: Clark grew up, became a Green Lantern, returned to Earth (wasn't actually destroyed), and lost his ring to Luthor. While imprisoned, he discovered that surviving the conditions on Krypton caused him to be super strong on Earth.

1 - w/in the confines of comic book logic/science
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

operagost

Postby operagost » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:08 pm UTC

Ae7flux wrote:
da Doctah wrote:

You mean the ancient form of deniable genocide? I'm not exactly in favour of it myself but it's only one of many horrible acts the bible tries to pass of as morally justified.

Moses' mother placed him in the basket to avoid nearly certain death at the hands of the Pharaoh's authorities.

I'll assume you aren't well read. In this narrative, the Pharaoh is what we call the "bad guy". You may have heard of him: he's the one who refused to release a bunch of de facto slaves until his son ended up dead. The Biblical account doesn't really make a solid moral statement on her action, but it's pretty clear that the infanticidal edict of the Pharaoh is positioned as a "bad thing".

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:11 pm UTC

thevicente wrote:Also, I know Superman's power come from Earth's yellow sun. Does it mean a Terran baby in Krypton youd be proportionally WEAKER?

As I recall, humans sent to Krypton (or another red-sun planet) become stronger, like Superman on earth. (At least, this sometimes happens, depending on the writer...)

Realistically, if that word has any meaning here, Kryptonian skin cells are solar powered, so that Superman becomes stronger under the white-yellow sun, because it contains a greater part of the spectrum I suppose. Human skin cells are not solar powered, and I don't think it was ever really thought that they were (it was thought that we breathe through our skin, but that's a hippogriff of a different color.) So, by this basis, humans wouldn't have any more or less powers under the red sun. (Although we might have Vitamin D deficiency.)

RE: Moses: yes, Exodus 1-2 tells us that the baby Moses was going to die, with almost certainty, except that his parents put him in the river, where he had some chance. I think it is implied, although not said outright, that they had faith that God would protect their baby - or at least he was in God's hands now, whatever happened would happen. This is the opposite of genocide; if they wanted him dead, they would have just turned him in to the soldiers killing all the other babies in town.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:14 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:RE: Moses: yes, Exodus 1-2 tells us that the baby Moses was going to die, with almost certainty, except that his parents put him in the river, where he had some chance. I think it is implied, although not said outright, that they had faith that God would protect their baby - or at least he was in God's hands now, whatever happened would happen. This is the opposite of genocide; if they wanted him dead, they would have just turned him in to the soldiers killing all the other babies in town.

Also, he got super powers. Is this because of the yellow sun? Is the Moses story really an allegory for Superman?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:41 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:

As I recall, humans sent to Krypton (or another red-sun planet) become stronger, like Superman on earth. (At least, this sometimes happens, depending on the writer...)

Realistically, if that word has any meaning here, Kryptonian skin cells are solar powered, so that Superman becomes stronger under the white-yellow sun, because it contains a greater part of the spectrum I suppose. Human skin cells are not solar powered, and I don't think it was ever really thought that they were (it was thought that we breathe through our skin, but that's a hippogriff of a different color.) So, by this basis, humans wouldn't have any more or less powers under the red sun. (Although we might have Vitamin D deficiency.)

In some versions, humans get superpowers (rather than rapidly developing skin cancer) under a blue sun... I don't recall any red-sun super-earthlings.

Vir4030

Postby Vir4030 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:02 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Wow we got some sensitive people around here. Do yourselves a favor and never go to a Rocky Horror Picture show, or you'll hear lines like these:

If I went to a Rocky Horror Picture show, I would expect to hear lines like this. But xkcd is not a Rocky Horror Picture show. I would be able to accept this as "Unusual Humor (which may be unsuitable for adults)" except that it didn't make any sense. People are still trying to figure it out - it just doesn't make sense.

I'm not even sure it's a dead baby joke... mostly because it's not a joke, and we're only fairly sure there's a dead baby in it because it doesn't make any sense.

Cervisiae Amatorem

Postby Cervisiae Amatorem » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:48 pm UTC

There's no describing the sadness of losing a baby. I'm grateful every time I hear my son's cry, because it fills the deafening silence where my daughter's should be.

Perhaps a comic about a fiancée dying of breast cancer would be equally as endearing.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:33 pm UTC

operagost wrote:
Ae7flux wrote:You mean the ancient form of deniable genocide? I'm not exactly in favour of it myself but it's only one of many horrible acts the bible tries to pass of as morally justified.

I'll assume you aren't well read.

Why?
mathmannix wrote:Realistically, if that word has any meaning here, Kryptonian skin cells are solar powered, so that Superman becomes stronger under the white-yellow sun, because it contains a greater part of the spectrum I suppose. Human skin cells are not solar powered, and I don't think it was ever really thought that they were (it was thought that we breathe through our skin, but that's a hippogriff of a different color.) So, by this basis, humans wouldn't have any more or less powers under the red sun. (Although we might have Vitamin D deficiency.)

Does superman become weak after spending extensive time in a cave?

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:40 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:How do you feel about putting a crying baby in a basket and setting it adrift among the bulrushes?

Oswald Cobblepot didn't like it all that much when he was set adrift by his parents to get rid of him.

This must be the origin of Super-Penguin.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:10 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
mathmannix wrote:RE: Moses: yes, Exodus 1-2 tells us that the baby Moses was going to die, with almost certainty, except that his parents put him in the river, where he had some chance. I think it is implied, although not said outright, that they had faith that God would protect their baby - or at least he was in God's hands now, whatever happened would happen. This is the opposite of genocide; if they wanted him dead, they would have just turned him in to the soldiers killing all the other babies in town.

Also, he got super powers. Is this because of the yellow sun? Is the Moses story really an allegory for Superman?

Well, it might have literally been the other way around, intentionally or not... weren't the creators of Superman Jewish?

PinkShinyRose wrote:Does superman become weak after spending extensive time in a cave?

I don't know if this has been done, but I assume it would take a while... Superman can obviously fly at night, but years of darkness would probably weaken him. Also, in the original movie he had super strength minutes after being found by the Kents, but I think in most other adaptations he gradually got his powers after becoming at least a teenager, so the takeaway here might be that the solar-powered skin cells took at least 15-20 years to fully charge, so they probably stay powered for at least that long...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”