1297: "Oort Cloud"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The Synologist

1297: "Oort Cloud"

Postby The Synologist » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:33 am UTC

Title Text: "... I wanna try. Hang on, be right back."

Had to quickly wiki this as I only really knew of the name. Are those ice crystals it's covered with afterwards?
Last edited by Angua on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the number

rhomboidal

Re: 1196: "Oort Cloud"

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:38 am UTC

My parents are probably going to be worried now that their data isn't safe in the Oort cloud.

Patteroast

Postby Patteroast » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:14 am UTC

You look different, ISON. Did you get a haircut while you were over by the bright dot?

willpellmn

Postby willpellmn » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:34 am UTC

I don't get it.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:54 am UTC

(oops)
Last edited by Kit. on Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:30 am UTC

...This is comic 1297, not 1196...
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Rombobjörn

Re: 1297: "Oort Cloud"

Postby Rombobjörn » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:20 am UTC

Patteroast wrote:You look different, ISON. Did you get a haircut while you were over by the bright dot?

More than a haircut I would say. More than a close shave, even.

Hiferator

Postby Hiferator » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:45 am UTC

The Synologist wrote:Had to quickly wiki this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... ia_as_Wiki

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

Hiferator wrote:

The Synologist is to be congratulated on managing to (1) abbreviate Wikipedia as Wiki, (2) verb a noun and (3) split an infinitive all in the space of three words, thus trolling three types of pedant in one go.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

The title text reminds me that, apparently, it's possible to insert a standard incandescent light bulb into a human mouth, but then very difficult to remove it without breaking the bulb or dislocating the jaw. I've not tried it myself, nor do I know any reliable person who's admitted, in my presence, to having tried it, nor any A&E personnel (who might reasonably be expected to have had patients needing a bulb removed) who have mentioned it, so I can't comment on the accuracy of the claim.

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Hiferator wrote:

Then how come Wikipedia is the first result when I google "wiki" using Bing?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:The title text reminds me that, apparently, it's possible to insert a standard incandescent light bulb into a human mouth, but then very difficult to remove it without breaking the bulb or dislocating the jaw. I've not tried it myself, nor do I know any reliable person who's admitted, in my presence, to having tried it, nor any A&E personnel (who might reasonably be expected to have had patients needing a bulb removed) who have mentioned it, so I can't comment on the accuracy of the claim.

... and because of those damned knitted-yoghurt tree-huggers forcing us to use energy-saving bulbs because of so-called "global warming", we'll probably never find out.
NB: These are not my real views.

ETA: That cloud is seriously blooming far away: according to "Wiki", the closest estimate is 0.03 light-years, with the furthest at a little over π ly. If that really is still part of our Solar System, Voyager I is not going to be going to interstellar spaaaace today.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
Hiferator wrote:

Then how come Wikipedia is the first result when I google "wiki" using Bing?

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:ETA: That cloud is seriously blooming far away: according to "Wiki", the closest estimate is 0.03 light-years, with the furthest at a little over π ly. If that really is still part of our Solar System, Voyager I is not going to be going to interstellar spaaaace today.

Wait, that would put it closer to Proxima Centauri (if it was in the same direction) than us...

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
orthogon wrote:ETA: That cloud is seriously blooming far away: according to "Wiki", the closest estimate is 0.03 light-years, with the furthest at a little over π ly. If that really is still part of our Solar System, Voyager I is not going to be going to interstellar spaaaace today.

Wait, that would put it closer to Proxima Centauri (if it was in the same direction) than us...

Yeah, in the intro part it says "nearly a light year" and comments that this would place it one quarter of the way to Proxima Centauri; later on in "structure and composition" the article cites reference 11 which puts the upper range at 3.16ly.

davidstarlingm

Postby davidstarlingm » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

I've always been mystified by the Oort Cloud, partly because my earlier days as a creationist required me to treat it as a purely speculative hypothesis.

I felt like the art for this one left a little to be desired. If not for the title of the comic itself, I would have had NO idea what it was about.

orthogon wrote:
Hiferator wrote:

The Synologist is to be congratulated on managing to (1) abbreviate Wikipedia as Wiki, (2) verb a noun and (3) split an infinitive all in the space of three words, thus trolling three types of pedant in one go.

+1 internets.

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

davidstarlingm wrote:I felt like the art for this one left a little to be desired. If not for the title of the comic itself, I would have had NO idea what it was about.

This, plus in a couple of months/years almost nobody will get it.

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

I just want to know if they're going to rename ISON to WASON
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

No, but in case it hits earth on the return journey, they're installing a slew of High Orbit Ballistic InTerceptors on the anti-comet platform they're building. That's right; they're taking the HOBITs to ISONGuard.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

davidstarlingm

Postby davidstarlingm » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:No, but in case it hits earth on the return journey, they're installing a slew of High Orbit Ballistic InTerceptors on the anti-comet platform they're building. That's right; they're taking the HOBITs to ISONGuard.

You win.

But apparently ISON has survived now?

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

So it would seem at present.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

Klear wrote:

So basically our solar system is semi-detached. Damn those estate agents.

Cervisiae Amatorem

Postby Cervisiae Amatorem » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

Hiferator wrote:

Who said it was Wikipedia?
Space Wiki

Patteroast

Postby Patteroast » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

Cervisiae Amatorem wrote:
Hiferator wrote:

Who said it was Wikipedia?
Space Wiki

Or maybe Memory Alpha? Wookieepedia?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
davidstarlingm wrote:I felt like the art for this one left a little to be desired. If not for the title of the comic itself, I would have had NO idea what it was about.

Then I must be missing something. What about this comic is so current people wouldn't get it in a few years?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

davidstarlingm

Postby davidstarlingm » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Klear wrote:

Then I must be missing something. What about this comic is so current people wouldn't get it in a few years?

Comet Ison, arguably.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

Will there not be any other comets in the next few years? Will comets stop coming from the Oort cloud? Are there all that many people who only know what the Oort cloud is because of this one latest comet, who read xkcd and who will forget that's where comets come from in a couple years?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Will there not be any other comets in the next few years? Will comets stop coming from the Oort cloud? Are there all that many people who only know what the Oort cloud is because of this one latest comet, who read xkcd and who will forget that's where comets come from in a couple years?

The point of the comic (IMO) is that the comet gets almost destroyed by the sun, not something that happens every day. Really, without knowing about ISON, I can't see how you could see this as a joke.

Jiffy

Postby Jiffy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:54 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Will there not be any other comets in the next few years? Will comets stop coming from the Oort cloud? Are there all that many people who only know what the Oort cloud is because of this one latest comet, who read xkcd and who will forget that's where comets come from in a couple years?

The point of the comic (IMO) is that the comet gets almost destroyed by the sun, not something that happens every day. Really, without knowing about ISON, I can't see how you could see this as a joke.

I didn't know about a specific comet, but I understood it as a comet flying close to the center of our system, half-melting and being slung back to the cloud.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:07 am UTC

Jiffy wrote:
Klear wrote:

I didn't know about a specific comet, but I understood it as a comet flying close to the center of our system, half-melting and being slung back to the cloud.

Same here - you'd have to be some sort of crazy thermophile to want to even visit the inner solar system - the radiation there is so intense that even ice gets disintegrated - so there being a specific comet around at the moment that's taking a pounding isn't required knowledge to get the point that comets get traumatised by leaving the nice safe environment of the Oort cloud for a trip past the Sun...

addams

Postby addams » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:33 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Jiffy wrote:
Klear wrote:

Same here - you'd have to be some sort of crazy thermophile to want to even visit the inner solar system - the radiation there is so intense that even ice gets disintegrated - so there being a specific comet around at the moment that's taking a pounding isn't required knowledge to get the point that comets get traumatised by leaving the nice safe environment of the Oort cloud for a trip past the Sun...

Yes. Yes. Compassion for the difficult journey of the comet is a good thing.
It may not survive the Journey. poor little comet.

Now; (deep breath)
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/30/scien ... .html?_r=0
The way it is done in North America is we Panic! Now!

That may not be a comet! It may be a meteor that has a superior mechanism for aiming the rock.
It might not miss us!

It Might Hit Us! This Time!
Run around in circles and scream. No. No. Don't.
It frightened the Natives.

You can wait for the Comet or Meteor.
Frightening people is fatal on a shorter time scale.

Why get people all fired up about something that might not happen?
BHG? Just, for fun?

Not really Evil. not evil, just a misunderstood gunius. poor little BHG.

It is not Evil until he turns a profit and can do it over and over and over.
Don't we ever get tired of his hi-jinks?

No. I supose we don't. He is a fun guy. I heard a rumor about him catching the next one.
We will need protesters. Free The Comet! Comet's Rights Groups. Even if it is a Metor, it has a Right to determination.

oooohhhh! If we poke it with a stick will it tell us who sent it?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:24 am UTC

You can do it ISON!

keithl

Postby keithl » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:06 am UTC

Some of the tabloids were calling ISON the "brightest comet of the century". The comet depicted here seems pretty stupid, not bright at all!

bilkie

Postby bilkie » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

Jiffy wrote:
Klear wrote:

Agreed: with ISON in the news, this comic works even without the title. With the title the comic is timeless.
Every chunk of ice comes in with (journalistic) predictions of a glorious future, but we end up mostly disappointed by their displays, then they self-destruct to much derision and scorn. Much like the Lohan-Spears comet of the past decade, and the recent Cyrus-2013 debacle.

The fault is not in our stars but in ourselves. We are detecting more, smaller objects much earlier than previously possible, pushing these young comets into a media frenzy far too early, only to discover they can't take the [internal] pressure [of expanding gases as a the sun heats them].

Showsni

Postby Showsni » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

I must be tired. My brain started working out how all the information about comets getting nearly destroyed by getting close to the sun was actually made up Earthist-propaganda designed to scare the comets of the Oort cloud into staying put so that we could avoid any potentially hitting us. Then I realised that would assume the existence of sentient comets...

addams

Postby addams » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

Showsni wrote:I must be tired. My brain started working out how all the information about comets getting nearly destroyed by getting close to the sun was actually made up Earthist-propaganda designed to scare the comets of the Oort cloud into staying put so that we could avoid any potentially hitting us. Then I realised that would assume the existence of sentient comets...

Only your tired brain likes the idea of Sentient Comets? why, sir. little children often ask, why, sir. Do you Have To say, sir?

Only your tired brain?
What information do you have about Comets?
You have to know some stuff about Comets to be able to work out how dangerous it is for a Comet to come in close to the sun.
Who told you? Did you figure that out on your own?

How did you learn Comets are mostly Ice?
How close did that thing get to our Star?

One million miles. That is not far. Mercury is (?) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_(planet)#Surface_conditions_and_.22atmosphere.22_.28exosphere.29
How interesting. Someone, somewhere seems to use K.
What is that in F and C? I would guess the numbers in F and C would also be fairly meaningless.

I like to think about Space Junk, too.
The Music of the Spheres.

Do you think it is Sentient?
Have you gotten some sleep?

What? I like to think of each and every thing as Alive!
It is more fun than living in a Dead World.

I think we can blame Cartoons.
When one world has Charming Dancing Tea Cups and Relationship that are Joyful and Satisfying.

It becomes easier to think of Tea Cups as people, in the real world.
Spoiler:
It is nicer to get caught talking about the Tea Cup, than to the Tea Cup.
How awful to have your best friend turned into a Tea Cup.

Sure would be handy for keeping track of them.
"Fee-Fi-Foe-Fum- I smell the blood of an Englishman."

Why not talk about this Comet as if it were Sentient?
Give it a nick name treat it like a very distant domestic animal that belongs to someone else and might step on the Barn.

What if that thing really got its Hot on? One million miles from the surface of the sun? What do we call the surface?
Plasma streams go that far. Right?

What if that thing is now a concentrated ball of molten metal?
I have seen stuff on UTube that looks like that.

On the Cartoons; Does that ball of metal have a tail?
Does the one NASA is looking at, have a tail?

Is anyone else looking at it? The Chinese? Are they still a bunch of Star Gazers?
A sweet little comet. Hey! It was huge, right?

It is now half the man it was. Is it a Man? Did you gender it?
Vesta is an asteroid. She is also a Goddess.

This one is ISNO? It has meaningless letters? why, sir.
ech. It means something to someone.

Nightmare matereal! So fun! Tell The People!
Will they settle down and become deeper and more helpful?

Better name that thing Jesus. Tell them Jesus is coming and he is angry this time.
Why?
Spoiler:
ech. You wouldn't believe me, anyway.
You know how Jesus said, "Forgive them they do not know what they are doing." Remember that?

umm. Someone looked up and said, "They know what they are doing and they are doing it anyway! They are AssHoles, Father.

Now Jesus is coming back riding a big ball of Hot Metal.
It really should be sentient. Jesus is not riding the meteor. He IS the meteor.
That is fun. It plays into most Jewish, Christian and Islamic mythology.

I think it is a good idea to name that one Jesus.
If it turns out to be a big, hot rock of high density moving through a medium of low density headed right at us;
When that fact dawns on people many will say, "Jesus." 'Fuck' may be the second most common responds.

We could name it Fuck. Fuck is coming,.. and on and on very Who's On First.
I want it to be sentient and be exactly what it is.

Mars has a very masculine name. Now that we think we have been there, it seems, sort of, Feminine.
The conjured land. Mars. We did that. Now, what? Like women? Like a woman? ech. Mars: God of War. Male. period.

Have you ever given any thought to what happens to the atmosphere when a big one comes in for a landing?
I did. I think the atmosphere compresses under that thing and then, BLOWS!

Like any other oxygen rich medium. poof. The carbon is a fuel. The oxygen is a catalyst of some kind. It oxidizes that is why the little chemists use that word.
What would it take to set the atmosphere on fire? It is a gas of sorts. Once it gets going it will keep going until it uses up all the fuel or runs out of oxygen.

poof. Our world goes poof.
It is ok. Calm down. We named it Jesus.
He will take the good with him. The less than worthy will be lost forever.
Sleeping and listening to the Music of the Spheres?

It's a good story. It might help bad people remember why to attempt some level of goodness.
That story can backfire. Some people accept their fallen state. Some embrace it.

God can do no more nor any less than kill me and allow me to sleep forever listening to the Music of the Spheres.
While I am here I shall live like a God. Men and women live and die at my word. Who dare displease me?

Have you met Cheney? Do you want to name it Dick?
Spoiler:
As in, "You don't know, Dick."

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

StClair

Postby StClair » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:20 am UTC

"Aaaaah, the atmosphere! Aaaah!"

addams

Postby addams » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 am UTC

StClair wrote:"Aaaaah, the atmosphere! Aaaah!"

Yes! That is the Spirit!

Panic Now! Avoid the rush!

It is a fine conspiracy theory.
Everyone is playing that game.
I want to play, too.

Small quiet circles and screaming, only a little.
Jesus is coming! He rounded the Sun and is on his way!

ahhh! The Sweet Little Christians refuse to scream?
They are feeding the hungry, comforting the sick and googling Chinese take-out?

What fun is that?
Is it fun to have a pet Comet?
The Comet belongs to all of us.
http://www.nbcnews.com/science/tag/comet-ison

We will not know who God is aiming at, for a while.
Is it big enough to make a Global event?

Do not think about it. The chances of it hitting us are so small.
Hey! Is that a use for Trillions? What is the chance? Is the number one of the many Trillions?

It is a long way from There to Here. Where is far, also.
Watch the pet Comet and dream of better things.

Who can do the math on compressed sea level Earth atmosphere?
Under what conditions will it burn? No! Don't do it!
Spoiler:
Earth atmosphere is so fricking stable.
shhh. Don't tell.
Real science can take all the fun out of a Conspiracy or Doom's Day Theory.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:27 am UTC

That piece of space debris oort not to go anywhere near the sun.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:12 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
Hiferator wrote:

I figuratively cannot see from where these pedants are coming...
Whenever visually representing the universe, it's important to include a picture of Saturn!
-- Tom the Dancing Bug

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”