1264: "Slideshow"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TimXCampbell

Re: 1264: "Slideshow"

Postby TimXCampbell » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

Occasionally, on Cracked.com's "LinkStorm" collection (links to funny stuff on other sites) they'll link to a particular site (whose name I've deliberately forgotten) that will have an item named, for example, "100 Cats With Funny Hats." And EVERY time you click the "Next" button to go the next image, the site will re-load the ENTIRE page, including about 14 ads, from scratch.

This, to me, is far more annoying than what is shown in today's comic, because even with a decent net speed it takes 2 to 5 seconds to go from one image to the next. As soon as I see a site is designed that way, I close the tab. I don't care if the item is "14 Ways to Get Free $100 Bills" — I'll just move on.

I apologize for not remembering the name of the site(s) that do that.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
I will never... want to browse a series of images... like this.

Right! I prefer to view still images that only change once per hour for which we have to create our own viewer in order to see in proper sequence.

Hear, hear!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

clockworkbookreader

Postby clockworkbookreader » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Whoever takes this one as theirs
will raise up the backs of my hairs...

Jose

Limericks. Excellent... but where's the bawdy reference that's supposed to be in there?
In the event of pneumothorax, stab me with an 18g angiocath just above the second rib in the midclavicular line.
Thank you.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

popman wrote:I'm dissapointed randall didn't try to implement this in APNG, at least for browsers which offer support, especially since he's made comics which detect browsers before.
Indeed. When I saw the gif extension I felt it should have somehow been MNG or whathaveyou.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:I'm also not convinced that the weak attempts at copyright protection (as seen in such slideshows) are at all effective, since they are so easy to circumvent.

Nah, the quality is shit, usually.

The basic theory is this -

Your work needs to be online for you to profit as people need to see examples.

Your work is your product, so it must be protected.

So you offer a low-quality version of your work that is easy to view but difficult to own. Most people won't go through the trouble of circumventing your simple protections as they want to own quality and you're only offering shit for free. The people who will circumvent it don't care about quality and... likely will never give you money in exchange for goods anyway, so you're losing nothing.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

dalcde

Postby dalcde » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:Also: Making said slideshow require Flash when it can be accomplished just as easily with JavaScript, and providing no alternative to non-Flash-havers except a "This feature requires Flash. Sucks to be you!" should be grounds for capital punishment. I'm lookin' at you, deviantART.

Does that include the inability to right-click/save as?
dalcde wrote:And it sucks when you can't right-click -> view image (it might be possible in certain implementations, but generally it doesn't work)
Most implementations I've seen are doing it specifically because the content creator doesn't want you to do that, at least not easily.

But my wife is a photographer and has a lot of friends in that business and since some of them make their living off selling images to people, it... completely makes sense as to why they'd want to make their web images a pain in the ass to get your hands on (and low-quality and covered in watermarks even if you do).

But they're ... pretty much the only people who get a pass on this shit. xXx_420Chr0n1cL0vA_xXx has no excuse.

Print-screen button is you're friend

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Klear wrote:
ucim wrote:I find it interestingly ironic how many animated avatars there are in the responses to this one. :)

Here you are:

Ouch! Oh, the pain, the pain!

Whoever takes this one as theirs
will raise up the backs of my hairs
I cannot endorse
the lack of remorse
that the use of this image declares.

When avatars wiggle and twitch
it gives my poor eyeballs an itch
I'd rather they stay
on one picture, I say
than to constantly flicker and switch.

Jose

Awesome! I scared poetry out of somebody. That's gotta count for something.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:28 am UTC

clockworkbookreader wrote:Limericks. Excellent... but where's the bawdy reference that's supposed to be in there?

Perhaps animation's not quite
Enough for pubescent delight.
No matter the time
It's a limerick sublime
Showing taste in a poem that's polite.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:21 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:I'm also not convinced that the weak attempts at copyright protection (as seen in such slideshows) are at all effective, since they are so easy to circumvent.

Nah, the quality is shit, usually.

The basic theory is this -

Your work needs to be online for you to profit as people need to see examples.

Your work is your product, so it must be protected.

So you offer a low-quality version of your work that is easy to view but difficult to own. Most people won't go through the trouble of circumventing your simple protections as they want to own quality and you're only offering shit for free. The people who will circumvent it don't care about quality and... likely will never give you money in exchange for goods anyway, so you're losing nothing.

If the images are low quality, then why not present them in the most viewable format? Furthermore, if people who care enough to buy the product expect higher quality, then if the low-res version gets spread around, that only functions as further advertising.

willpellmn

Postby willpellmn » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

Patrik3 wrote:I... don't really get what's so bad about that style of slideshow?

+1.

Eebster the Great wrote:But some sites implement a slideshow that seems to just slightly zoom and arbitrarily pan images (similar to this comic) with no concern for their content, not only defeating the purpose but enraging viewers to the point of foaming and babbling.

Yeah, seems like maybe those people are too easily enraged. I do not see how this is in any way a grounds for even so much as mild irritation.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

Apparently you've just never had any interest in actually looking at different parts of slideshow pictures on your own terms.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

willpellmn wrote:
Patrik3 wrote:I... don't really get what's so bad about that style of slideshow?

+1.

Eebster the Great wrote:But some sites implement a slideshow that seems to just slightly zoom and arbitrarily pan images (similar to this comic) with no concern for their content, not only defeating the purpose but enraging viewers to the point of foaming and babbling.

Yeah, seems like maybe those people are too easily enraged. I do not see how this is in any way a grounds for even so much as mild irritation.

If you only come across them from time to time, then, sure, you can ignore them or just sit back and enjoy the show, but there's a cumulative effect - particularly when they're set up as unskippable gate-keepers on a site you visit frequently - it's like having a drop of water fall on your forehead - as an isolated event, it's nothing, but repeated...

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:

Right! I prefer to view still images that only change once per hour for which we have to create our own viewer in order to see in proper sequence.

(The sad part is that this is true for most of us)

Sad?

hamjudo

Postby hamjudo » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

These examples just zoom and pan. On Thursday at work, I learned how to make ones that zoom, pan, and rotate. Not only can these annoy, for the right people, they can actually induce vomiting.

It will get worse. Full 3d support is coming. Soon the marketroids will be able to populate a 3d space with images, then send a virtual camera through it. It's like those 3 second videos made with Google Earth to put a part of the world in context, except much longer, without context, and with absolutely no link to reality.

Websites and marketing presentations can be like roller coasters. You won't know in advance whether you'll get one of those badly maintained high speed rides that occasionally throw someone to their death, or Disney's "It's a small world", which just makes adults wish they were dead.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:41 am UTC

Tualha wrote:Now I want a tool to turn off gif animation except on certain sites, e.g. QC.

I don't know about other browsers, but you can (usually) stop gif animations in Firefox by pressing the ESC key. I often do this to stop the more annoying animated Avatar images...

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

This is why I love wikipedia: no crappy JavaScript menu's (apart from mathjax I don't really see a difference between JavaScript enabled and disabled wikipedia to be honest, and even the mathjax functionality can be sent pre-rendered) or other completely unnecessary nonsense that is only required for playing games or similar activities but is most definitely useless for informing people about things or asking them questions.

peewee_RotA wrote:

Twice per hour to get us started.

Eebster the Great wrote:If the images are low quality, then why not present them in the most viewable format? Furthermore, if people who care enough to buy the product expect higher quality, then if the low-res version gets spread around, that only functions as further advertising.

Maybe they don't want further advertising? Having an online portfolio to point already interested clients to could also be the point of the website. The point that people who pay for photo's want a proper quality is probably usually correct. The point that using javascript to disable right-clicks is ineffective (and highly annoying, because it also removes other functions from some browsers) is probably also true (besides, you can probably just save the entire website...). The most important thing is probably the feeling that you did something to keep your photo's from spreading.

PM 2Ring wrote:
Tualha wrote:Now I want a tool to turn off gif animation except on certain sites, e.g. QC.

I don't know about other browsers, but you can (usually) stop gif animations in Firefox by pressing the ESC key. I often do this to stop the more annoying animated Avatar images...

This feature was removed from Firefox 20 onwards because the same button stopped XHR functions and removing only that feature was too much work. Furthermore, some web-developers complained that they wanted to use the ESC key for their website UI (despite the button being commonly used in browser UIs...). Probably the same web-developers that make those annoying unwikipediaish websites...

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:This feature was removed from Firefox 20 onwards because the same button stopped XHR functions and removing only that feature was too much work. Furthermore, some web-developers complained...
That's what you get when browser developers listen to web developers rather than users. The web is becoming an ADP+.

Jose
+Annoyance Delivery Platform
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

This comic needs an embedded song/video that loads automatically, since it's a site you wouldn't want a song/video to load automatically.

You wouldn't believe the number of Local Business websites that still think it's a good idea to automatically load a testimonial video that's already playing (think Dentists, Auto-Repair Shops, Wedding Reception Venues, etc), or embed a little media player with a song playing in the background (think fancy restaurants, and the song is inevitably down tempo, usually jazz).

I just want to see your:

Hours of Operation
Phone Number
Prices
Menu
Photos of your establishment
etc

If I wanted music or video, I would have gone to YouTube.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

It is unreal how many businesses fail to list their hours of operation. That is literally the most important piece of information after the name, address, and phone number.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:00 am UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:It is unreal how many businesses fail to list their hours of operation. That is literally the most important piece of information after the name, address, and phone number.

So many car dealers forget this.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:It is unreal how many businesses fail to list their hours of operation.

I know, right?!

WanderingLinguist

Postby WanderingLinguist » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

freakish777 wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:It is unreal how many businesses fail to list their hours of operation.

I know, right?!

Or list them, but haven't updated them in three years.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

Or have them listed and consider them current and correct, but then arbitrarily don't follow them.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

Or list them, but animate the listing so that each day fades and slides a random direction before displaying the next day...

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

freakish777 wrote:This comic needs an embedded song/video that loads automatically, since it's a site you wouldn't want a song/video to load automatically.

You wouldn't believe the number of Local Business websites that still think it's a good idea to automatically load a testimonial video that's already playing (think Dentists, Auto-Repair Shops, Wedding Reception Venues, etc), or embed a little media player with a song playing in the background (think fancy restaurants, and the song is inevitably down tempo, usually jazz).

At least these days its only small, local businesses that do this: like, er, SNCF (French National Railways). (In fairness to the SNCF, it's probably a French law that all state organisations have to play French music on their websites).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:57 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
freakish777 wrote:This comic needs an embedded song/video that loads automatically, since it's a site you wouldn't want a song/video to load automatically.

At least these days its only small, local businesses that do this: like, er, SNCF (French National Railways). (In fairness to the SNCF, it's probably a French law that all state organisations have to play French music on their websites).

That website doesn't play any music on my computer . . .

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:
orthogon wrote:

Probably because the French Law only applies to visitors of the website who's IP Address is coming from inside of France...

addams

Postby addams » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

freakish777 wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:
orthogon wrote:

Probably because the French Law only applies to visitors of the website who's IP Address is coming from inside of France...

oh. Shades of the NSA.
Even the French know where you are when you log in.

The difference is: The French don't care.
To be fair, the Americans don't care either.

That's why they do such stupid things.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Darekun

Postby Darekun » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:19 am UTC

Given that I usually find it easier to View Source, download the .SWF, and get the image URLs from there than to sit through the Ken Burns effect, it sure isn't effective in my case. JPEGgy previews would be better.

(I also make a point of voting with my wallet, and am inclined to vote against slideshows.)

peewee_RotA wrote:Right! I prefer to view still images that only change once per hour for which we have to create our own viewer in order to see in proper sequence.

Yeah, I still don't get why (so many) people think that's better…

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:24 am UTC

Darekun wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:Right! I prefer to view still images that only change once per hour for which we have to create our own viewer in order to see in proper sequence.

Perhaps if you Wait for it, it will come to you in Time. :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Darekun

Postby Darekun » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:36 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Darekun wrote:

Perhaps if you Wait for it, it will come to you in Time. :wink:

Yeah, I got that part. I read the first… 8 pages? of the thread, and still didn't see the appeal.

I still don't see the appeal. It's kind of meh as a .GIFani, far worse an hour at a time.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:03 am UTC

That's okay, Waiting isn't for everyone. The Time thread itself is less about the animation of the comic, and more about what happens in the temporal spaces between the frames.
Or in the space that's left after the end of Time, which is where we are now. New readers and posters are always welcome. And we promise, no annoying slideshows. :wink:

(We do have a disorienting seizure-inducing gif, but we always make sure it's spoilered.)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

addams

Postby addams » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:17 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:That's okay, Waiting isn't for everyone. The Time thread itself is less about the animation of the comic, and more about what happens in the temporal spaces between the frames.
Or in the space that's left after the end of Time, which is where we are now. New readers and posters are always welcome. And we promise, no annoying slideshows. :wink:

(We do have a disorienting seizure-inducing gif, but we always make sure it's spoilered.)

How nice.
Time is a Welcoming Community.

Where is this gif? Someone here in Slideshow knows how to make the an annoying slideshow rotate.
That might be fun. But; Not for long.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:44 am UTC

addams wrote:Where is this gif? Someone here in Slideshow knows how to make the an annoying slideshow rotate.
That might be fun. But; Not for long.

Not for long indeed. Sounds disturbing. But if you must...

--Warning: Annoying Gifs Follow--

This is the original flashy gif, harvested from the internet:
Spoiler:
This is a frame of Time, enhanced to add dizziness by mscha:
Spoiler:
This is their unholy offspring:
Spoiler:
(You can thank astrocub for that last one.)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:59 am UTC

addams wrote:oh. Shades of the NSA.

Not really. Any website that you go to has to know your IP address so that it can send you the page data. And from your IP address it can easily determine who your ISP is and where they're located, if it wants to.

Also, your browser will tell the web server at the site what browser you're using & what OS, so that the server can potentially customise the page for you, although it's easy for browsers to lie to the server about that info.

For example, this image should show you your (current) IP address, your ISP, your browser & your OS.

This image should display the name of the city where your ISP is based.

See http://www.danasoft.com/for more info.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:01 am UTC

ooooh. You are a God.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:--Warning: Annoying Gifs Follow--

<snip>
This is their unholy offspring:
Spoiler:
(You can thank astrocub for that last one.)

Ack! I don't remember that one! Image

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:
addams wrote:oh. Shades of the NSA.

Not really. Any website that you go to has to know your IP address so that it can send you the page data. And from your IP address it can easily determine who your ISP is and where they're located, if it wants to.

Also, your browser will tell the web server at the site what browser you're using & what OS, so that the server can potentially customise the page for you, although it's easy for browsers to lie to the server about that info.

For example, this image should show you your (current) IP address, your ISP, your browser & your OS.

This image should display the name of the city where your ISP is based.

See http://www.danasoft.com/for more info.

Right, I was actually referencing the ruling of this Court Case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LICRA_v._Yahoo!

In that it set a precedent for French Law to have universal jurisdiction on the internet.
Not referencing the NSA.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

freakish777 wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:
orthogon wrote:

It launches a pop-up which plays "SNCF La Radio", so I guess if you have pop-ups blocked it won't work.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:47 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:That's okay, Waiting isn't for everyone. The Time thread itself is less about the animation of the comic, and more about what happens in the temporal spaces between the frames.

That depends on what slide shows are considered annoying...

freakish777 wrote:Right, I was actually referencing the ruling of this Court Case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LICRA_v._Yahoo!

In that it set a precedent for French Law to have universal jurisdiction on the internet.
Not referencing the NSA.

Don't most countries claim (almost) universal jurisdiction over the internet? Some countries also claim dubious jurisdiction on other things (the US universally, Russia over international waters and some Arab countries on other countries citizens family matters), I think the general rule is that if the country can abduct people from somewhere they exert jurisdiction over the area while they generally claim broader jurisdictions...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”