1264: "Slideshow"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:03 am UTC

Alt: Points to anyone who hacks the Flickr devs' computers to make their text editors do this when you click on anything.

GEE WILKIES IT'S MOVING

I'm pretty sure imgur already have a crusade against badly timed captioned gifs, but these zooming slideshows should be set aside for screensavers from the 90s

The Synologist

Postby The Synologist » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:04 am UTC

Title Text: Points to anyone who hacks the Flickr devs' computers to make their text editors do this when you click on anything.

This. A thousand times THIS

rhomboidal

Re: 1264: "Slideshow"

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:06 am UTC

I just hope the next big web thing isn't going to be slideshow sentences. Torture.

joee

Postby joee » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:10 am UTC

Flickr is down for me at the moment. Coincidence or have we xkcd'd it?
Hi glasnt.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:34 am UTC

Also: Making said slideshow require Flash when it can be accomplished just as easily with JavaScript, and providing no alternative to non-Flash-havers except a "This feature requires Flash. Sucks to be you!" should be grounds for capital punishment. I'm lookin' at you, deviantART.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:40 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:Also: Making said slideshow require Flash when it can be accomplished just as easily with JavaScript, and providing no alternative to non-Flash-havers except a "This feature requires Flash. Sucks to be you!" should be grounds for capital punishment. I'm lookin' at you, deviantART.

Also Bristol-Myers Squibb. No, don't bitch at me for using Chrome/Pepper when I want to view jobs sorted geographically.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:42 am UTC

I would. Still better than marquee.

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:45 am UTC

joee wrote:Flickr is down for me at the moment. Coincidence or have we xkcd'd it?

Scheduled maintenance.

Flickr in is Alexa's top 100 websites : a mention on xkcd is, let's say, unlikely to cause a significant increase in its traffic.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:49 am UTC

Public service for those not already aware:
http://deslide.clusterfake.net/

I haven't checked whether it works with those horrific zooming ones, because fortunately I've never come across an unavoidable one on any site I can't simply never visit again.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

just john

Postby just john » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:53 am UTC

Yes, when I have a bunch of images for you to look at, I give you a front page with a bunch of tumbnails to click on.

And, of course, I'm unemployed.
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/jjMusic

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 am UTC

When I saw it moving I thought we had another epic project like "Time" or "Click and Drag" on our hands.

Alas... I am too hopeful.

karel1980

Postby karel1980 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:11 am UTC

For those who care to know the name of their demons - and those who deviates who prefer to watch their slideshows like this and could use something to effectively google their drug: It's called the Ken Burns effect.

Tualha

Postby Tualha » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:12 am UTC

First xkcd comic I've ever wanted to block :p

It's unbelievable how much jiggling, zooming, moving crap a typical modern webpage has, all competing for your attention. I would find the web unusable without Flashblock and Adblock Plus. Now I want a tool to turn off gif animation except on certain sites, e.g. QC.

CasualSax

Postby CasualSax » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:13 am UTC

Two points for making a good point, but XKCD loses one of them for approving of hacking, even in jest.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:13 am UTC

The best way to display multiple large images is to thumbnail them, expand them on click, and allow you to switch between adjacent images with arrow keys (like a paused slideshow).

This is an objective fact.

By the way, the "Ken Burns effect" actually is a very useful technique for showing detail in still images in TV and film, because the audience can't directly interact with the image and might actually want to see a close-up of the details. Besides, still images look boring in video. In these cases, the zoom and pan are deliberate and show points of interest. But some sites implement a slideshow that seems to just slightly zoom and arbitrarily pan images (similar to this comic) with no concern for their content, not only defeating the purpose but enraging viewers to the point of foaming and babbling.
Last edited by Eebster the Great on Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

just john

Postby just john » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:17 am UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:The best way to display multiple large images is to thumbnail them, expand them on click, and allow you to switch between adjacent images with arrow keys (like a paused slideshow).

I take it you are ALSO unemployed.
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/jjMusic

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:20 am UTC

just john wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:The best way to display multiple large images is to thumbnail them, expand them on click, and allow you to switch between adjacent images with arrow keys (like a paused slideshow).

No. I perform molecular dynamics simulations of the insulin dimer for far below minimum wage on outdated software (the OS, the program suite, and the compiler) and on hardware that is not up to the task.

scotty2haughty

Postby scotty2haughty » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:30 am UTC

Thank you.
From the bottom of my heart.
/s/

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:36 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:When I saw it moving I thought we had another epic project like "Time" or "Click and Drag" on our hands.

Me too. Though at 127 frames, autogenerated, with 3 unique drawings, it is a poor substitute.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Patrik3

Postby Patrik3 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:48 am UTC

I... don't really get what's so bad about that style of slideshow?

As long as it moves through the pictures at a good pace (i.e. fast enough so it doesn't drag, but slow enough so you can appreciate the image) it's quite a nice way of displaying images. And the panning and zooming means that you can highlight specific parts of an image, or be able to view the entire image at a higher zoom level than the size of the picture box would normally allow...

And almost all of the ones I've seen have also included a row of thumbnails along the bottom which you can click on manually to interrupt the slideshow...

dalcde

Postby dalcde » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:55 am UTC

Patrik3 wrote:I... don't really get what's so bad about that style of slideshow?

As long as it moves through the pictures at a good pace (i.e. fast enough so it doesn't drag, but slow enough so you can appreciate the image) it's quite a nice way of displaying images. And the panning and zooming means that you can highlight specific parts of an image, or be able to view the entire image at a higher zoom level than the size of the picture box would normally allow...

And almost all of the ones I've seen have also included a row of thumbnails along the bottom which you can click on manually to interrupt the slideshow...

Eebster the Great wrote:By the way, the "Ken Burns effect" actually is a very useful technique for showing detail in still images in TV and film, because the audience can't directly interact with the image and might actually want to see a close-up of the details. Besides, still images look boring in video. In these cases, the zoom and pan are deliberate and show points of interest. But some sites implement a slideshow that seems to just slightly zoom and arbitrarily pan images (similar to this comic) with no concern for their content, not only defeating the purpose but enraging viewers to the point of foaming and babbling.

And it sucks when you can't right-click -> view image (it might be possible in certain implementations, but generally it doesn't work)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:46 am UTC

Patrik3 wrote:I... don't really get what's so bad about that style of slideshow?

I'd rather have an opt-in for that sort of thing than an opt-out (where available)

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:57 am UTC

I find it interestingly ironic how many animated avatars there are in the responses to this one. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Locoluis

Postby Locoluis » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:36 pm UTC

Agh, Youtube is polluted with this nonsense.

It's an horribly inconvenient way to tell a story with text and still photographs.

And it gets worse if your lame, slow loading video is preceded by a lame, slow loading ad.

What's wrong with good old image galleries?
Sueños del Sur - A webcomic about four siblings, their family, friends, adventures and dreams.
http://sds.lgm.cl/

njank

Postby njank » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:
just john wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:No. I perform molecular dynamics simulations of the insulin dimer for far below minimum wage on outdated software (the OS, the program suite, and the compiler) and on hardware that is not up to the task.

ahh.... a graduate student. at least you've come to terms with your reality. just think, only a few more years of this and you'll get to the same point in life all you're business major friends were at 4 years earlier. And they all got MBA's because, "Heck, we can do grad school, too. What's taking you so long?"

popman

Postby popman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:49 pm UTC

I'm dissapointed randall didn't try to implement this in APNG, at least for browsers which offer support, especially since he's made comics which detect browsers before.
www.crashie8.com

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Public service for those not already aware:

I haven't checked whether it works with those horrific zooming ones, because fortunately I've never come across an unavoidable one on any site I can't simply never visit again.

From that site's latest changes:
updated support for www.tvovermind.com
Their developers must've been at the sherry again:
1.After the first three slides, the server delivers its content accompanied by the HTTP status code "403 - Forbidden" instead of "200 - OK", indicating that you won't be able to see the content which it then delivers anyway.
2.After about 30 slides that switches back to normal (200 - OK). Mmmkay...
3.Then, in the middle of the slideshow, some slides are delivered using the "mobile" layout of the website
4.The code of that mobile version is somwhere between totally broken and bonkers:
besides unique IDs not being unique, the special (special needs?) highlight is that they've gotten the "prev" and "next" links wrong, i.e. on those sites you'll have to follow the "prev" link to get to the next slide and the "next" link will take you back to the previous slide.

lol, that sounds like well-designed code.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

ucim wrote:I find it interestingly ironic how many animated avatars there are in the responses to this one. :)

Here you are:

Mike Rore

Postby Mike Rore » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Public service for those not already aware:

From that site's latest changes:
updated support for http://www.tvovermind.com
Their developers must've been at the sherry again:
1.After the first three slides, the server delivers its content accompanied by the HTTP status code "403 - Forbidden" instead of "200 - OK", indicating that you won't be able to see the content which it then delivers anyway.
2.After about 30 slides that switches back to normal (200 - OK). Mmmkay...
3.Then, in the middle of the slideshow, some slides are delivered using the "mobile" layout of the website
4.The code of that mobile version is somwhere between totally broken and bonkers:
besides unique IDs not being unique, the special (special needs?) highlight is that they've gotten the "prev" and "next" links wrong, i.e. on those sites you'll have to follow the "prev" link to get to the next slide and the "next" link will take you back to the previous slide.

lol, that sounds like well-designed code.

I love that the site (http://deslide.clusterfake.net/) has an announcement for XKCD visitors. :)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:Also: Making said slideshow require Flash when it can be accomplished just as easily with JavaScript, and providing no alternative to non-Flash-havers except a "This feature requires Flash. Sucks to be you!" should be grounds for capital punishment. I'm lookin' at you, deviantART.

Does that include the inability to right-click/save as?
dalcde wrote:And it sucks when you can't right-click -> view image (it might be possible in certain implementations, but generally it doesn't work)
Most implementations I've seen are doing it specifically because the content creator doesn't want you to do that, at least not easily.

But my wife is a photographer and has a lot of friends in that business and since some of them make their living off selling images to people, it... completely makes sense as to why they'd want to make their web images a pain in the ass to get your hands on (and low-quality and covered in watermarks even if you do).

But they're ... pretty much the only people who get a pass on this shit. xXx_420Chr0n1cL0vA_xXx has no excuse.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

popman wrote:I'm dissapointed randall didn't try to implement this in APNG, at least for browsers which offer support, especially since he's made comics which detect browsers before.

To be fair, a grayscale image with little movement compresses just fine in gif. (and gif can of course not very straightforward offer true-color)

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:When I saw it moving I thought we had another epic project like "Time" or "Click and Drag" on our hands.

Well, you do have to Wait For It . Just not for very long, comparatively speaking.

Sorta makes OTTifying pointless.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:
just john wrote:

No. I perform molecular dynamics simulations of the insulin dimer for far below minimum wage on outdated software (the OS, the program suite, and the compiler) and on hardware that is not up to the task.

Oh, a grad student, obviously. :mrgreen: You're in the wrong place: you should be posting to phdcomics :oops:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

schwartzbewithyou

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

ditto. *sigh*

cellocgw wrote:Well, you do have to Wait For It . Just not for very long, comparatively speaking.
Sorta makes OTTifying pointless.

heresy!
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

Barstro

Postby Barstro » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

Locoluis wrote:Agh, Youtube is polluted with this nonsense.

It's an horribly inconvenient way to tell a story with text and still photographs.

And businesses that use these to demonstrate their products have the nerve to call them "videos".

ToomanyUIDs

Postby ToomanyUIDs » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:40 pm UTC

I was wondering why everyone was moaning about the yahoo's at Yahoo!'s latest revamp of Flickr. I only looked at the front page and thought it looked ridiculously different. I'm glad I didn't bother browsing.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
ucim wrote:I find it interestingly ironic how many animated avatars there are in the responses to this one. :)

Here you are:

Ouch! Oh, the pain, the pain!

Whoever takes this one as theirs
will raise up the backs of my hairs
I cannot endorse
the lack of remorse
that the use of this image declares.

When avatars wiggle and twitch
it gives my poor eyeballs an itch
I'd rather they stay
on one picture, I say
than to constantly flicker and switch.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Does that include the inability to right-click/save as?
dalcde wrote:And it sucks when you can't right-click -> view image (it might be possible in certain implementations, but generally it doesn't work)
Most implementations I've seen are doing it specifically because the content creator doesn't want you to do that, at least not easily.

But my wife is a photographer and has a lot of friends in that business and since some of them make their living off selling images to people, it... completely makes sense as to why they'd want to make their web images a pain in the ass to get your hands on (and low-quality and covered in watermarks even if you do).

But they're ... pretty much the only people who get a pass on this shit. xXx_420Chr0n1cL0vA_xXx has no excuse.
Yeah, if you're some kind of artist and these pictures are your livelihood, fine. If you're a graphic designer and the website is meant to show some of your web design skills, fine. But if you're a news outlet and these pictures are supposed to be part of one contiguous story, then give me the option to see them all one one page that I can scroll through at my liesure.

Often my rule of thumb is that if a non-artsy site won't display in a usable, timely manner on my phone or netbook, it's not a site that deserves any of my pageviews.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

I'm also not convinced that the weak attempts at copyright protection (as seen in such slideshows) are at all effective, since they are so easy to circumvent.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

I will never... want to browse a series of images... like this.

Right! I prefer to view still images that only change once per hour for which we have to create our own viewer in order to see in proper sequence.

(The sad part is that this is true for most of us)
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”