1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:44 pm UTC

( :
ggh is here for the eclipse!
( :
This is awesomeful!
( :
TLW is extremely cute.

lmjb1964 wrote:I'll whip together something like GnomeAnne's contraption.
That was actually a picture someone else sent me, I posted it here because I found it amusing. Even last night, the first few places we tried to find glasses were out, but a family friend found a place that wasn't and brought us some.

lmjb1964 wrote:If some of the chat gets posted here every now and then, that would be awesomeful.
We have an out of context quotes collection, but it hasn't been updated recently and most of them won't make sense without context. There are a few poems about events in the game, also accessible on the dnd forum. Posting chat excerpts here might be a little difficult, since we use our irl names, and sometimes discuss things that shouldn't be public, but I think that something can probably be arranged.

One of the players is traveling overseas, one has been averaging three hours of sleep per night, staying up with a newborn, one is in the process of moving, and one has been working on character concept art for the OTDnD graphic novel, so they haven't had a lot of free Tim for OTTing.

As pope I hereby decree that the sky shall go dark and the sun itself be blotted out, showing outsiders and heretics their folly, and reminding those brothers and sisters of ours who have taken up residence in the basement that true fellowship cannot be obtained through solitude.
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

The machine is now completely useless for washing.

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:05 pm UTC

karhell wrote:That's an impressive throw.
Spoiler:

And as if that wasn't enough he drops a washing machine on that bike.

The events of frame 143 and 142 were predicted by 125:

redundant
Spoiler:
pred-000125.png
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:11 pm UTC

Edit preview Ninja'd!!

The machine is now completely useless for washing.

Joe: You know that it was your bike?
Oops.

Your telephone is ringing.

Oops indeed. The bike is likely completely useless for biking as well.
We knew they would soon regret their actions, but that did not take long at all.

Maybe the ringing is b calling from his bikephone.
Wait For It.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:32 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
None of us have any eclipse-viewing equipmemt. We talked about making a pinhole camera. Maybe there's somewhere in town to buy something. Or I'll whip together something like GnomeAnne's contraption. :D

Pinhole cameras are as easy as a sheet of paper with a hole in it - even use the holes in notebook paper can work.

A wearable camera obscura takes just a little more work, and the results are really impressive. But you look a little silly.

Happy eclipsing, everyone! Here is some eclipse-related humor to brighten your slowly darkening day:
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article167175947.html
https://tinyurl.com/y8z2e9yr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcujJL0W1S0

And thanks for the well-wishes, SBN.

RSINR:
Spoiler:
obscura.jpg

redundeclipse.jpg

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:34 pm UTC

I see, lmjb. If that was what was happening to me, I wouldn't want anyone leaving to enjoy themselves elsewhere, either. Would it help you if I visited here a bit more often? ;)

I have visitation rights with Timmy. He's such a good thread. *pets*

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

svenman

Postby svenman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:23 pm UTC

Where I am, the decree has been fulfilled completely. The sky has gone dark and the sun has been blotted out.
Spoiler:
By the earth.
Spoiler:
Like every night.
I don't quite see what the big deal is supposed to be about that, though.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:29 pm UTC

*basement door creaking sound*

Oh, hello fellow OTTers!

I hope the Lucky ones of you who had the chance to be in totality today had a molpish two-skycircle-overlap experience. I guess I'll have to wait for it (until 2135) or run! somewhere else to it in the future.

As it seems, I haven't visited this special needle-pulled thing for more than a yip, which left me over one hundred newpages behind! Truly heretic!

I hope y'all're doing well. I've recently returned from a holiday and took some pictures that looked like they were straight out of Time:

These photos may or may not have been slightly edited.

I almost forgot of redundancy:

Spoiler:
photo+1388.png

photo+219.png
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:22 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:worried, maybe? about what balthasar referred to, a group splitting off from the OTT. It just seemed to me that since most OTTers have a limited amount of Tim, they might spend it on the game and not post in the OTT anymore.
Sorry for only lurking the OTT while playing OTDND. If it's any consolation, I'll be neglecting OTDND as well for the next few wips due to some major Outsidish things.

GnomeAnne wrote:( :
ggh is here for the eclipse!
( :
This is awesomeful!
( :
TLW is extremely cute.
I am glad that ggh made it there safe. Did y'all get a good view of the eclipse? I heard that the area of the country you were planning to watch it in was expecting some significant cloud-cover. Also I hope to meet ggh and TLW at some point, but I'm afraid that I may have to continue following the first commandment for a while longer.

NoMouse wrote:As it seems, I haven't visited this special needle-pulled thing for more than a yip, which left me over one hundred newpages behind! Truly heretic!
Baobabs, has it been that long? Well I'm glad you stopped by, please drop in anytime!

And those photos are truly treeish! And not only in a puntastic manner!
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:22 am UTC

azule wrote:I see, lmjb. If that was what was happening to me, I wouldn't want anyone leaving to enjoy themselves elsewhere, either. Would it help you if I visited here a bit more often? ;)

Yes. :)

I want OTTERS to enjoy themselves always, wherever they are. As long as they don't end up in the basement. :evil:

Speaking of the basement, hello, NoMouse! So nice to see you. Time certainly does fly, doesn't it?

It's very molpish that ggh and GnomeAnne got to watch the eclipse together.

We had fun watching the elsipse for our boxes. We were supposed to have 70% of totality, but it didn't seem to be that much. And it didn't get very dark. But it was fun anyway.

Svenman, I don't know if you followed any of the links I posted, but the Dave Barry article (the link from the Miami Herald) had much in common with your post. :)

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

karhell

Postby karhell » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:03 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:[...] and one has been working on character concept art for the OTDnD graphic novel, so they haven't had a lot of free Tim for OTTing.
Yeah. That's... totally what's happening. Definitely. No laziness involved at all here, nope, none at all :roll:

I just don't feel I have anything meaningful to contribute at the moment. It'll pass, eventually :)

Also at some point I might eventually have some art that I feel is decent enough to be posted... Wait for It
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:10 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
SBN wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
None of us have any eclipse-viewing equipmemt. We talked about making a pinhole camera. Maybe there's somewhere in town to buy something. Or I'll whip together something like GnomeAnne's contraption. :D

Pinhole cameras are as easy as a sheet of paper with a hole in it - even use the holes in notebook paper can work.

A wearable camera obscura takes just a little more work, and the results are really impressive. But you look a little silly.

Right, I was just concerned that you'd stress over buying something and not bother at all. I know 70% isn't totality, but it is still pretty cool.

One of my favorite eclipse things, is to let a tree be the pinhole camera. All the little sun-dapples, become little eclipse-dapples.

I had a great site, and great weather, and much amazingness. And then a very long drive home. (I didn't have to drive, I shouldn't complain.) But note to self, in 2024, don't plan to travel home the same day.

If the news is to be believed (it's not) I've been in the path of totality during every US eclipse since 1979.
(I was in totality in 1979, but only got to watch clouds get dark. But there are a couple eclipses in between that no one seems to be counting, because they didn't touch a lot of US, or were only annular.)

Hello to azule, and NoMouse, and very cool that ggh came, and watched the eclipse with GnomeAnne.

For those of you sciencing, I can report that the wolpies did not care about the eclipse at all, except that they thought that as trips to the park go, this one had too much driving, and not enough playing.
We did hear some chirpy action, and crickets, but GLR's prediction was not accurate where I was. (I did briefly consider messing with folks, as I have a bird song app on my phone, so I could have played a recording of some really out of place bird. But totality is too precious to waste.)

For the next couple days TGW and TGWFP are here, so I'll be doing things like watching the raptorcats play the raptorcats.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:40 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Speaking of the basement, hello, NoMouse! So nice to see you. Time certainly does fly, doesn't it?

Yes, it does. It keeps on slippin' (slippin' slippin') into the future...M

And I almost forgot - I also saw a seaish wowterful wowterfall! Hence, I made this for you:

So... any OTT news in the past yip? New Time-RELATED series, new revelations... ? Or solved Beanish... Image

Mas admins have reminded us in their sieves during the First Madness

_____
RSIR:
Spoiler:
Wowterfall-2017.gif
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:21 pm UTC

Hi NoMouse! Welcome forward!
Treeish OTColoureds and a wowterful wowterfall!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:44 pm UTC

That is a wowterful waterfall!

We were going to take out the colander to get multiple eclipses, but forgot. My sister did poke holes in a paper place in an X, so we did have multiple eclipses through that. I wish we had a little more just to experience more of the unnatural darkness, but overall it was cool, and we had raftcastleloads of fun.

OTT news--balthasar has a steakish new story happening, the mrobdex story continues, what else has happened?

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:38 pm UTC

@ svenman
Haha

NoMouse wrote:*basement door creaking sound*

Oh, hello fellow OTTers!
Hi NoMouse! Welcome back.
Those are very Treeish pictures, especially the wowterfall.

lmjb1964 wrote:It's very molpish that ggh and GnomeAnne got to watch the eclipse together.
Indeed.
We had fun watching the elsipse for our boxes. We were supposed to have 70% of totality, but it didn't seem to be that much. And it didn't get very dark. But it was fun anyway.
We drove an hour to a break in the clouds. Someone else brought a telescope and let us look through it.
It didn't start getting noticeably darker until totality, the cloudcover actually made it more entertaining because you could see the curve of the shadow on the clouds as it passed overhead.
We grilled burgers and played frisbee until evening and took back roads home, so there wasn't too much traffic.

In other news, the OTT has spawned a D&D game run by a cat, in which zombies are defeated by talking them to life, and sampling the wine and chocolate, and reading puns out loud result in your body being covered in plush fur made out of stars.

The following is a sample of the OTG log.
Spoiler:
View all chat entries for this game »
9:49AM
ggh: Ah, the Little Wonder is finally awake! I'm off to see what wonderful things this day shall bring!

9:50AM
karhell: Good luck, and enjoy the day :)

9:52AM
ggh: Not meaning to jinx anything, but I think I'd have to have extraordinarily bad luck not to. :)

9:55AM
karhell: Hooray for good looking days! :)

11:28AM
balthasar_s: hello. world.
maybe I'll be able to do the ketchup today.

1:11PM
GnomeAnne: Done with ffs, hanging out with gg for the rest of the day!

1:11PM
karhell: neat :)

2:47PM
balthasar_s: and done.
'/var is a sheep!

2:51PM
karhell: Yep. Weird stuff is afoot ^^

2:51PM
balthasar_s: yes, another thing is
does the game have any reasonable explanation for the sudden aging?
aging is not just incrementing the "age" counter over time,

2:54PM
karhell: As far as I know, such a thing is not covered by the official rules. There used to be rules about aging characters (physical stats would increase while mental ones would decrease). No idea whether it's still the case

2:58PM
balthasar_s: there are many processes happening, and the "aging" is their result.
Additionally, what you become, what you look like, etc. as you get older depends on what was happening to you in your life, what you were doing ans so on.
So when Spurius suddenly got older without all this happening, how did this even work?
how would the world (?) know what would happen to him in those 23 years and what he would become? the future hasn't happened yet.
how is the game going to explain itself now?
Interestingly, I didn't have any problem with var becoming a sheep for no reason...

3:01PM
ggh: I think he got older in the way that intense stress would do

3:02PM
karhell: This is a game where time can be temporarily slowed, stopped, sped up, so things not making much sense on that aspect is kind of par for the course ^^

3:05PM
balthasar_s: "Spurius's face takes on new lines of age and his posture sags" these are the effects of te body being used, not stress.
it's not time I'm having a problem with.
ok, whatever, I'll wait for it and see what happens next :)
today I found a broken ping pong ball under the floor.
which i was removing

4:15PM
Gingercat (GM): It's canon that Ghosts specifically cause aging if you fail your Wisdom save when you see them.
Not Wraiths, Banshees, Spectres or other Undead, just Ghosts specifically.
And they only cause aging if you fail by 5 or more, otherwise you just run away terrified of them with no further ill effects.
(And rolling a Nat20 in your first encounter with one like Venor did shows that your character is utterly unfazed by them and will never be terrified in any future encounters, no need even for saves in future. "Gives no shits about Ghosts" is an attribute you could put on their sheet if so inclined.)

4:35PM
ggh: You know how Ithillian is really fun and funny as all chirp? You don't know the half of it. :)

ETA: The OTT news update.
Wait For It.

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Timothy"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:20 am UTC

I too experienced a total terrestrial solar eclipse last nip, as every nip.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

thunk

Postby thunk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:34 am UTC

SBN wrote:
I had a great site, and great weather, and much amazingness. And then a very long drive home. (I didn't have to drive, I shouldn't complain.) But note to self, in 2024, don't plan to travel home the same day.

GnomeAnne wrote:
We drove an hour to a break in the clouds. Someone else brought a telescope and let us look through it.
It didn't start getting noticeably darker until totality, the cloudcover actually made it more entertaining because you could see the curve of the shadow on the clouds as it passed overhead.
We grilled burgers and played frisbee until evening and took back roads home, so there wasn't too much traffic.

Unlike GnomeAnne, I got up earlier than I had planned and drove eastward; by the time the 12Z or so model runs showed that the cloud decks were further east than anticipated, I was far enough east so that it was easier to keep going. Also I had another model-based hunch that there would be much less cloud south of I-70, which led me to Jefferson City. This turned out to be a more-or-less good call, though there was thin cirrus cover from an MCS just to the northwest by eclipse time.

I had a marginal site, marginal weather until the very last moment when it became evident that there would only be thin cloud, and I guess I was...slightly underwhelmed. It was an amazing experience but not as life-changing as some make it out to be. Either that's because of poor viewing position (the sky was somewhat obstructed by the Missouri state capitol) or just the general emotional deadness I've been feeling. On the other hand, I had a good light of sight to the storms being rapidly covered then uncovered by the umbral shadow, which was cool.

The solar corona was lower-triangular as others have reported, but I ended up right below a streetlight, which combined with the cloud deck prevented viewing stars and planets other than Venus. I also was too nervous about damaging my eyesight to view the diamond ring unprotected. The lack of a 'look away at the sun' reflex during the deep partial phases was unnerving, as was the quality of the light.

The traffic on the way back however was not so marginal. Cue three hours of frustration and then missing another class because I was just too tired to continue driving. This will hopefully be less of a problem next time.

Just after watching the event, after I had collected myself a bit, I resolved to never go to another solar eclipse again. Then a day later I realised that was dumb and that I should go to more of them. The motions of the celestial sphere will hopefully give me some time to sort myself out by then.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:20 am UTC

Aww, that doesn't sound like much fun.
Hopefully the next one is more enjoyable.

There was a miscommunication with one of my sisters. She called in to work so she could go with us, but on the phone mom thought she said she had to work and couldn't go with us. She waited at her place for us to let her know we were leaving, but we never did, and by the Tim she called, we were already there. There were clouds over where we live, so she didn't get to see it at all and is still disconsolate about it.
Wait For It.

thunk

Postby thunk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:52 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:
Aww, that doesn't sound like much fun.
Hopefully the next one is more enjoyable.

It was actually pretty fun anyway. I actually like randomly driving around the countryside. The eclipse provided a perfect excuse for that. And I managed to get out of the dorm where I'd probably have just lied around in bed and angsted all day.
troo dat

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:34 am UTC

I'm sorry thunk and GnomeAnne's sister had non-awesomeful eclipse experiences. :(

Thanks for the ottdnd chat, GnomeAnne!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:50 am UTC

Coincidence wrote:OTT: I think you can't receive a file without the actual coincidence client installed.
OTT: There is no way for the test terminal to store files to your drive.
This seems to be correct.
The "actual coincidence client" as you call it automatically saves the received files to a directory (you can change the location or disable this completely), for me the location is ~/coincidence/files:
(also, bsta 58)
The online interface is on the botcastle, maybe it saves the files there, maube not, we can't know it, there is no way to see it.

Luckily I'm able to make spoilers of redundancy (which don't have to be redundant):

Spoiler:
coinfile.png

sbftf_0.4.33_disks.jpg

BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

MistyCat

Eclipse New Zealand

Postby MistyCat » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:53 am UTC

I slept, mostly.
At 5 am I looked out the window - it was dark.
I shared the USA eclipse experience.
Then I slept some more.
It's sometimes kind of dark in the Basement.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:48 am UTC

Baobabs, that box is amazing. I want one.
(Hi misty.)
Wait For It.

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:23 am UTC

Hi GnomeAnne (GnomeAnne...Time... Sundials... TIME... I don't recall any comments... surely there must have been comments (aagghh! Punsaw!!!)
Yes!! (2 exclamation marks) You can!!! (3 EXCLAMATION MARKS and an inadvertent capslock) You CAN have a similar (if not identical) eclipse viewer!!!! (The same number of exclamation marks as I have fingers without counting my arthritic thumbs!!!) plus MORE FREE!! exclamation marks!!!! (which I prefer to call bangs, but hey, what the heck, to each his (or her) own... (where was I going with this? Oh yes, your own local SuperDuperMarket probably will supply you with Eclipse Viewers for... (wait for it) not just a low price (No? really?) YES!!!! (Come on!! Can I really afford this many bangs?) (Rhetorical) YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN!!! They're FREE!!! but (wait for it) FREE!!!! (The eclipse viewers, not the bangs) ( Oh wait, they're both the same price)
OK, new resolution.
I will not post unless sober.
OK, I know I had a point, but... ain't life grand? (with or without ecliplesesesess?)
Ummm.... Sorry.
I lost track, but just in case... )))) (Please select a number which is appropriate to your own sensibilities.)
Purrr.

Waiting for Lucky

GnomeAnne

Re: 1880: "Eclipse Review"

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:38 am UTC

MistyCat wrote:
Spoiler:
I also generally call then bangs.

OK, new resolution.
OK, I know I had a point, but... ain't life grand? (with or without ecliplesesesess?)
Ummm.... Sorry.
I lost track, but just in case... )))) (Please select a number which is appropriate to your own sensibilities.)

Ha, gg brought a bottle of scotch when she came to visit, so you aren't the only one here who isn't sober.

Also: New OtherComic.
Wait For It.

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:17 am UTC

I think that now is probably an appropriate time to say thank you, XKCD (hi, davean) for allowing (stuff) that (decent, upright, non-XKCD type normal (for certain values of normal)) posters may (or may not) ... (another dot? Wouldn't that be just a bit much? No? OK, "." There's another dot. Kind of pointless, really. )
No. This is becoming just too dotty.
TL:DR
Thanks, XKCD, for permitting this kind of pointless ramble.
Purrr.

Waiting for Lucky

karhell

Postby karhell » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:12 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Also: New OtherComic.

Looks pretty topical :)
RSIR
Spoiler:
xkcd_1880_ottification.png
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:30 pm UTC

thunk wrote:
Unlike GnomeAnne, I got up earlier than I had planned and drove eastward; ...

From what I've heard from others, this eclipse was too narrow for much luck with stars and planets. 2024, though, will be twice as wide.
Smart to not continue driving when you are too tired. - Better to miss a class for that, than to miss class because you were in an accident.

Not everyone experiences eclipses the same way, even with optimal viewing, but I think those who find it life-changing are the ones you are most likely to hear about it from. MSWFP seems to be in the "that was interesting" camp, while GHWFP seems to be in my camp, of 'where are we going for the next one?' (She's actually already planning for 2045, when it will pass just south of our current home.)

I do send molpish thoughts your way, and encourage you to find help if you need it.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:40 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote: Hi NoMouse! Welcome back.
Those are very Treeish pictures, especially the wowterfall.

Thanks, GnomeAnne! I believe our TIMElines have not intersected before, as you apparently joined the OTT after my last exile to the basement. I see you have followed in BlitzGirl's footsteps and decided to blitz through this double-plus-seaish thread, a seemingly impossible task. Did you already finish your holy quest or do you currently live in two timelines? Or did you give up halfway through (I think no one here would judge you for that...)?

And I have a question, I somehow stumbled over a comment (and already lost it and can't find it again) which was posted during my latest absence that referenced some image apparently made of OTTers' avatars or something and there was only a really riverish version of that image while it seemed like the original image was seaish. And I couldn't find it. If I have described it coherently, what was that about?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm having a Zanclean overflow of curiosity right now and can't currently afford a ketchup. Image

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:57 pm UTC

I gave up halfway because I started reading in the present as well, and it was far too interesting here. But I started again going very slowly and I have high hopes that I will eventually have read the entire thing.

karhell wrote:Image

That's a cool graph, but having done both at once I have to say the scale you used doesn't come close to doing it justice.
Spoiler:
sketch1503504481190.png
sketch1503504481190.png (26.67 KiB) Viewed 14507 times

Answer the phone

No. Not you...
Why are you looking at your phone? It's not the one that was ringing.

The Avatar image.
I'm assuming this or this is the one you mean.
I thought there was a higher res version of sciscitor's where you could make out the smaller avatars, but I couldn't find one.
Wait For It.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:03 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:The Avatar image.
Oh, I remember both of these. But that's not what I saw. Nevertheless, I managed to find the post again - this one from NP2583. Now I''m absolutely not sure what I'm looking at (and my description was quite off after all) and what does the whole post including the quote mean. Ucim is talking about (newpage?) 1967 which would mean it's much older but I couldn't find anything there. Although I usually miss the stuff I'm looking for... :?

ETA: So, apparently the forum automatically shrinks images to fit them into the post (is that a new feature? I don't remember it doing that). The image isn't in fact riverish, as I thought, it's quite seaish. But I'm still totally out of context here.
Last edited by NoMouse on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:09 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:05 pm UTC

karhell wrote:

That makes me less envious that I didn't view the eclipse, and now more unjustly proud that I've seen other OTThers. Hehe. Thanks.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:44 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:
Oh, I remember both of these. But that's not what I saw. Nevertheless, I managed to find the post again - this one from NP2583. Now I''m absolutely not sure what I'm looking at (and my description was quite off after all) and what does the whole post including the quote mean. Ucim is talking about (newpage?) 1967 which would mean it's much older but I couldn't find anything there. Although I usually miss the stuff I'm looking for... :?

ETA: So, apparently the forum automatically shrinks images to fit them into the post (is that a new feature? I don't remember it doing that). The image isn't in fact riverish, as I thought, it's quite seaish. But I'm still totally out of context here.

Here's the link to the original https://ggh.chirpingmustard.com/findTheOTTer.png

And this post: viewtopic.php?p=4188613#p4188613

Links back to the original post: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3753439#p3753439

It's a game of Find the OTTer.

The later post that you linked, has the version with grids added for ease in communicating where things are found. I believe there is a list of what has been found on the Wiki.

Some Ways to Time

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:31 pm UTC

Hi thunk!

thunk wrote:... the 12Z or so model runs ...
... the cloud decks were further east ...
... I had another model-based hunch ...
... there was thin cirrus cover from an MCS ...
You sound just like my wife, for some reason I always forget you're a meteorologist. Also, we have a cat that is solid white (aside from pink skin on her nose, paws, etc.) that we named Cirrus.

thunk wrote:... or just the general emotional deadness I've been feeling.
Image Been there, I'd guess everyone goes through tough times at some point. Maybe not the same causes, maybe not the same magnitude, but just remember you're not alone. I hope you can find the answers and support you are looking for, and I'm sure you'll find brighter days ahead.

thunk wrote:Just after watching the event, after I had collected myself a bit, I resolved to never go to another solar eclipse again. Then a day later I realised that was dumb and that I should go to more of them. The motions of the celestial sphere will hopefully give me some time to sort myself out by then.
I am already making plans for 2023 and 2024. No idea where I'll be living by then, but I'm scouting out places to try to catch both of them. I really wanted to catch this one, but I couldn't afford the time off from FFS.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:34 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Spoiler:
NoMouse wrote:

Here's the link to the original https://ggh.chirpingmustard.com/findTheOTTer.png

And this post: viewtopic.php?p=4188613#p4188613

Links back to the original post: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3753439#p3753439
It's a game of Find the OTTer.

The later post that you linked, has the version with grids added for ease in communicating where things are found. I believe there is a list of what has been found on the Wiki.

Oh, thanks! Now it all makes sense. That's a molpish image! I found several OTTers, some condiments and a wowtree, OTT posts and finally myself. Haven't found Waldo yet though.

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:24 pm UTC

I don't know how often this has already been said, but if there was a best avatar contest, you would win.
So would rule110, though, so maybe it would end in a tie.
Wait For It.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:27 pm UTC

SBN wrote:One of my favorite eclipse things, is to let a tree be the pinhole camera. All the little sun-dapples, become little eclipse-dapples.

I loved this too! I took a picture on the ground where we were:

Another thing we discovered (but I forgot to take a picture of) was that you can spread your fingers slightly on both hands and cross them to make a grid, and the shadow made a grid of little crescents.

RSIR
Spoiler:
20170821_012.jpg
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

thunk

Postby thunk » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:02 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:
Hi thunk!

thunk wrote:... the 12Z or so model runs ...
... the cloud decks were further east ...
... I had another model-based hunch ...
... there was thin cirrus cover from an MCS ...
You sound just like my wife, for some reason I always forget you're a meteorologist. Also, we have a cat that is solid white (aside from pink skin on her nose, paws, etc.) that we named Cirrus.

Thanks for the well wishes. I don't think I'm quite a meteorologist yet, nobody's willing to pay me for it.
Now I'm taking a course on forecasting and quickly realising I'm not up to the task. I definitely prefer theory.
troo dat

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:52 am UTC

karhell wrote:

RSIR
Spoiler:
xkcd_1880_ottification.png

Steakish OTTY, karhell! :) And very accurate.

MistyCat wrote:(A bunch of really funny stuff)

What fun is that?

taixzo wrote:
SBN wrote:One of my favorite eclipse things, is to let a tree be the pinhole camera. All the little sun-dapples, become little eclipse-dapples.

I loved this too! I took a picture on the ground where we were:

Treeish! :)

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Pfhorrest

The Chronicles of Quelouva

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:07 am UTC

Since people in this thread presumably like big stories that unfold very slowly, and also seem generally supportive of community creative projects, I thought some of you might be interested in something I just posted about elsewhere on the forum.

TL;DR version: 20 years ago today I started writing an enormous story, this year I finally started putting actual effort into it, and now it's almost kinda-sorta readable and I'd love it if anyone would acknowledge the fact that it even exists. It's called The Chronicles of Quelouva.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”