1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AluisioASG

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:27 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Ah ok, there was a mismatch of the saved file type (png vs. gif). I have no idea why, It is fixed now however. I am sorry for the inconvenience.
Thank you. Just a few remaining (non-exhaustive) rough edges:
  • The avatars for me, karhell, HES, balthasar_s and ggh are missing (in the database, mine and karhell's are outdated, but ggh appears as No Avatar, so no idea what's going on)
  • Spaceman Spiff, hermesdfo, kasmeneo, and january1may's cause a server error

ggh wrote:I can't remember what I said about playing D&D
You said
ggh wrote:I'm too unsure about what kind of Time I'll have

Hm, unnoticed papacy. Discuss D&D, or eclipses, or coincidences.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

----
                       (- &#The Third Journey#& -)
                              (- - #or# - -)
                   (- &The Dragons of OTTifiability& -)

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

Gingercat

The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 10

Postby Gingercat » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:16 am UTC

Welcome to The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 10! The theme of today's update is "So That's What They've Been Up To", where we gain a minor insight into the lives of the Goblin tribe due to Torgos's slowly expanding powers of portent and divination...

<- Volume 9

The following journal entries are half on those phantom pages, and half not, in a sense; this update is written in quite a brain-bending manner, with the handwriting initially superimposing itself over the previous entry instead of appearing on separate pages. Concentrating on it causes a new page to "peel" off the underlying one, leaving its original writing there and keeping the overlaid writing on the peeled-off one. Losing concentration causes them to re-merge into a mangled, overlaid mess...

Spoiler:
What a stroke of fortune! I've managed to find some more of my notes, right where I had an itchy feeling I'd find them, even though it was a place I would never normally store such things: Inside the false lid of my clothing chest! (I didn't know it had a false lid in the first place, so this was doubly surprising.) These notes pertain to my reasonably recent meeting with the eye-wateringly-smelly Runty the Goblin, my "dead drop" contact with the Goblin tribe. (The notes may or may not be completely in the correct order, I didn't number the pages, so the related events may be slightly out of order, I'm not sure, but they all happened, just the same. I'll record them here in the order I found them.) In effect he's almost more like a spy, reporting their findings to me on places and people of interest, and being given money to take back with him. The smell largely comes from having to remain in the one spot for days or weeks on end, until either I turn up looking for news, or he runs out of food and has to return to the tribe. He doesn't seem to mind at all though; I get the distinct impression that he's very used to being on his own and fending for himself. He's remarkably strong and well equipped for survival, especially with his more recent equipment "upgrades". But more on that in a bit.

I had the idea of using a Potion of Mind Reading on him to get a clearer picture of his and the tribe's comings and goings, since what he has in the Brawn department seems to have been well-balanced by drawing from the Brains account, leaving it with little. I suppose it could be said that I'm the near-opposite; although I have excellent Intelligence, both my Wisdom and Strength are rather low. Stereotypical squishy wizard hm? But I can wear armor and shields now too, so ha! Maybe less "squishy" and more "firm" nowadays. Anyway, it turns out the Potion was an excellent idea; with a bit of divination magic to augment, I was able to watch along for one of their adventures as if I was a nearby observer. And if what I saw is any indication of their day-to-day life, the Goblins are far more interesting creatures than history would give them credit for. Their resourcefulness has certainly impressed me.

The adventure started at a trading camp a considerable distance away, in the foothills. This trading camp is not somewhere you would generally find anyone from "civil" society - It's run by the Wildmen of the foothills, and is a gather and trade spot for just about every humanoid race you could think of. Goblins, gnomes, trolls, hobgoblins, bugbears, orcs, humans, Wildmen of course, Giants, lizardfolk, Dragonborn; the good, the bad and the horrifying all mingle here without virtually any of the usual infighting you would expect. It seems to me, an unfamiliar observer, that there is an unwritten but immediately-understood agreement that anyone who steps foot into this territory is there under the distinct covenant of non-violence, and that any major disturbances would be very quickly dealt with by the other visitors. At the least, everyone there has a vested interest in keeping it peaceable for the purposes of not only ongoing trade, but also not attracting the attention of Lawful Stupid types who would love a good excuse to go on a cleansing crusade or other such nonsense. It's far enough out of the way that such types are unlikely to even find it, and if they did turn up to start trouble without good reason, they'd soon find themselves badly overwhelmed.

One of the main attractions of the place is the huge, bearded Ettin who is chained to a steel spike in the middle of a large clearing. He's been there for so long now that barely anyone remembers how he got there, but the local story is that he was causing trouble in the area, and managed to get on the bad side of some sort of witch or mage who, once he'd been captured and chained in place, enchanted the chain and spike to be virtually unbreakable. He's been stuck there ever since, although the local populace keep him fed and clothed, and have built a sleeping quarters for him nearby so he doesn't have to stay out in the elements; they now regard him as a local celebrity of sorts. He's huge:

Ettin.jpeg
Ettin.jpeg (67.76 KiB) Viewed 18147 times

Scrimjaw, the hyper-intelligent Goblin I first had contact with, and his close-second-in-brainpower friend Rockjaw (who I initially mistranslated from Goblin as "Lockjaw", I'm certain) were with Runty on an expedition to this camp to better equip themselves using some of the cash I've been funnelling their way. Runty is the obvious packhorse of the group; he carries a huge sack over his shoulder, larger in size to the one his crew had when they first leapt out of my inn room all that time ago (his memories show me that Runty was the only one that managed to escape my vengeance that fateful night where I captured Scrimjaw and Rocktooth for interrogation, and killed the others... A possible waste, now I think about it) and Scrimjaw rides on top of the sack whenever he's tired or otherwise feels like doing so. His weapon of choice is some sort of soup ladle which he wields like a mace (a ladle of all things!), and his armor consists of a saucepan worn on his head like a helmet. I found a drawing by some local talent that gives a good idea of what he looks like.

Runty.jpg
Runty.jpg (22.99 KiB) Viewed 18147 times

Scrimjaw and Rocktooth are both dressed in very low-quality, tattered, moth-eaten hide armor, no better than normal clothing in terms of combat protection, but this doesn't seem to bother them overmuch as they use Runty as a very solid meatshield. It would appear that after my rain of fire and death from the window, they rethought their careers as typical thieving Goblin Rogues, and decided to work on other career options. Runty, with his high strength and constitution and low intelligence, turns out to make an excellent Barbarian: Triggering his rage, the already-stocky Goblin becomes resistant to weapon damage and hits harder than ever with the ladle; a sight I found to be utterly hilarious. Scrimjaw and Rocktooth have both decided that although magic is generally a terrifying and taboo concept (they call it "booyagh"), if it can be used against them so effectively, then it can be used by them just as effectively. In essence, they are now both Goblin Wizards, and their huge Intelligence scores assist them greatly in this regard, although this has caused them (and their insistance on travelling with Runty) to become the object of minor suspicion within the tribe for a while.

Arriving in the camp, my Goblin friends set about locating some armor and weapon upgrades if possible. They came upon a large longhouse, with a blacksmith, armorer and other stores within. While Goblins aren't unheard of here, they are a rarity, and are known to get into a lot of trouble at short notice due to their lack of discipline and common sense, so they're viewed with suspicion... Especially so when Scrimjaw enquires, in perfectly normal Common, about where to get arms and armor suitable to them; normally if a Goblin speaks Common at all, it's badly broken and barely makes sense! The armorer, who looks like he's just woken up from a VERY bad night and suffering a horrible hangover, looks them over slowly, muttering. Through the following conversations with the armorer and blacksmith, in which much head-shaking is done and "...fuckin' goblins..." is often muttered, the trio get some suitable studded leather armor and decent shortswords for the two rogue-mages, and Runty acquires a huge pot lid from a soup pot that he can't stop licking the flavour off, gets VERY excited and starts slamming the ladle against his pot-helmet and nearly gets them all chucked out. (One thing you DON'T want when you have a hangover is some bloody Goblin making a godawful racket, apparently). The pot lid stands nearly as tall off the ground as Runty himself (it comes up to about his chin), and for a bit of extra cash they convince the blacksmith to weld a handle to it. He complies, grudgingly; it's not difficult work, but it's probably the weirdest request he's ever had: "Turn this soup pot lid into a mini tower shield for a ladle-wielding Goblin barbarian". Ta-da! Now it's a huge, tasty shield! (Cue more mutterings about the utter idiocy of Goblins, this time from the blacksmith, especially when Runty gets excited and starts slamming the ladle on his new shield before being asked in no uncertain terms to leave the longhouse.) Before they leave, Scrimjaw asks the armorer if he can make a suitably "wizardy" pointy hat, with stars and moons etc; the armorsmith sighs theatrically and says fine, but indicates that the Goblins really, really should be leaving, and to come back in a couple of days or so for the hat. Payment is made, and they leave.

Outside, Rocktooth spots a group of Orcs eyeing them off; he decides to use his Rogue skills to sneak after them and see what they're doing, while Scrimjaw and Runty look for a place to rest. Later, Rockjaw finds the other two in a tavern, and relays that he heard the Orcs planning an ambush for the Goblin trio. "That big sack looks like it's full of goodies that those Goblins probably don't need, right boys?" etc etc. The Orcs have followed the Goblins into the tavern, and are now lazing around and drinking quite heavily, getting thoroughly smashed. Having heard somewhere that Orcs have a particular dislike of horses, Scrimjaw uses a Minor Illusion cantrip to create the illusion of a constantly color-shifting horse that wanders past the Orcs and out the door. You can bet that this gets their attention, and they get up to follow it, with the Goblins sneaking and following them soon after to maintain the illusion's movement to the treeline outside the camp's clearing. After a short battle in which the Orcs learn to their extreme detriment that these Goblins are either magic-users or an amazingly hard to damage, ladle-wielding barbarian, they're all dead and Runty is in very bad shape, even with his Rage reducing his incoming damage, the Goblins take a rest and heal up.

Near the end of their rest, they see a strange, gnome-sized creature dragging a heavy sack and carrying a huge scythe.

Redcap.jpg
Redcap.jpg (36.15 KiB) Viewed 18147 times

Following it out of curiosity, its tracks seem to vanish at the base of a very large boulder. Runty puts down the carrysack and scales the boulder without too much trouble, while Rocktooth and Scrimjaw watch from the bottom. On top of the boulder, inside a large crack, a Redcap hisses nastily. Runty hisses back, causing the vile creature to attack without warning, slamming into him with a vicious kick using its ironshod boots. Not expecting this, Runty takes a significant amount of damage from the kick, before once again enacting his Rage. Some back-and-forth combat later, he tries to throw the Redcap off the boulder, but it grabs hold of him and drags him off as well; down they both come. The Redcap hits the ground first, losing his scythe; Runty lands on top of him and absolutely goes to town with the ladle on the Redcap's head. Some Firebolt spells from the two wizard Goblins and sufficient ladling soon finish off the creature, which melts away into a puddle of horrible mess.

The sack turned out to contain most of an unfortunate local whose friends were looking for him, having heard that he'd been dragged off by "an evil little Santa Claus with an evil big scythe". After Scrimjaw proudly described how they'd made short work of the Santa, they directed his friends to the top of the boulder where the sack was stored within the large crack. Unfortunately, his head and body had parted ways some time prior, so they'll need to Resurrect him if they want him back. Scrimjaw claims the red hat, taking it back to the armorer at the longhouse and asking him to use Redcap's hat as part of the wizard hat. The armorer simply takes it, looks it over, rolls his eyes nearly out of his head at the sheer absurdity of how his day is panning out, says yet another "Fuckin' Goblins, for shit sake... Seriously... Why me..." and other constant mutterings under his breath, and agrees to integrate the red cap into the design... Somehow.

While resting, Runty notices the Ettin in what could be called the camp's "town square" or maybe "central courtyard", and decides that he wants to wrestle it. Yes, this Goblin who is short even by Goblin standards wants to wrestle an Ettin. He wanders over to the sleeping Ettin and starts slamming himself in the pot-helmet with the ladle, making an atrocious racket. The Ettin wakes up immediately, looking around for the source of the noise, and spots Runty. He reaches down and attempts to pick up Runty, who sandbags himself, making a successful Strength check to resist being picked up. This seems to impress our large friend, who wasn't expecting any real resistance. Then Runty grabs hold of his hand, braces himself and holds onto the Ettin as if daring him to try again.

"Ooo, little Goblin wants to play!"

The Ettin tries to break free of Runty's grip with a bit more effort this time, Runty makes another opposed Strength check... And again, he succeeds in sandbagging enough to keep the Ettin in place! This has started to get the attention of some of the locals, who are now standing and staring, clearly impressed by this small Goblin's daring and determination. The Ettin laughs, also obviously impressed but also slightly annoyed at being shown up in this manner. He tries to pick up Runty, and succeeds this time... Only to have Runty run up his arm and start slamming the ladle into his pot-helmet again, right beside one of the head's ears. The Ettin's amusement turns to absolute annoyance, and he grabs at Runty... Only for Runty to scamper across to the other side and do the same to the other head! The Ettin bellows, furious now, and makes another grab, while the ever-growing crowd watches on in amazement. Runty makes a flying leap for the beard of the first head, swinging off it with one hand and still slamming the ladle on the pot-helmet with the other, laughing maniacally the whole time. The head owning the beard being swung from makes a wild swinging grab for Runty, missing him by inches... Then the other head uses the arm on its side of the shared body to do the same, only to aim too high, miss Runty entirely and smash the first head in the nose.

[OOC: For context, the DM said "if the Ettin misses his grab attempt by more than 5, he'll hit himself instead", not expecting it to happen, because it would have to be an abysmally low roll for that to happen... The first grab attempt missed by 2, the second one missed by 6. All of the above theatrics were only accomplished with the appropriate roll checks (Strength, Acrobatics, Athletics etc) being made by Runty or failed by the DM rolling for the Ettin; there were no rerolls, number fudges or the like. If they'd rolled differently at any point, the resulting tale would of course be different, and probably less entertaining.]

With the first head now bellowing with rage, Runty decides that this would be an excellent time to dismount the Ettin and get out of there, having well and truly proven that he can wrestle an Ettin... And win by having it hit itself. He jumps down from the Ettin's beard, bows to the gathered crowd who are going absolutely wild with cheers and applause, grabs his carrysack, and wanders off with the other two Goblins to somewhere a bit quieter while the Ettin's heads argue with each other.

-> Volume 11
Last edited by Gingercat on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

mrob27

1190: Time: LOLI HAET RETRO-EDITS

Postby mrob27 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:23 am UTC

Hello all!
 Todip I spent the better part of the afternoon visiting the Monterey Instutite for the Betterment and Promotion of Seaish Waterottermolpies. So that was molpish.

One might wonder if the recent re-appearance of a certain OTT dragon may have been related, in some timey-wimey-loopy sort of way, to the beginning of The Third Journey…

And, suBSTAntiveONG…

Explore pockets Image

You check what's inside your pockets.
You have:
A screwdriver, a wallet, a tram ticket, some coins, another screwdriver, a keychain, a pencil, a wrench and a telephone.

They all are important things. You don't want to get rid of any of them.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:30 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:[*] The avatars for me, karhell, HES, balthasar_s and ggh are missing (in the database, mine and karhell's are outdated, but ggh appears as No Avatar, so no idea what's going on)
Looks like someone fixed me - thanks!
Also with missing avatars are StormAngel, Eternal Density, adnapemit, ucim, HES, WOnder93, and Neil_Boekend.

Those screwdrivers can't be very comfortable in a pocket.
TUNO was 31 hours again.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Rakhal

Postby Rakhal » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:57 am UTC

Hmm, D&D... sadly it's been so long since I've played that my experience is all with AD&D (2nd ed). Since I wound up with the RX gaming societies assets when that club folded I have a ch*rpload of dice, a box full of Players Handbooks, several DM's Guides, Deities and Demigods and a bunch of other stuff. Sadly they are never likely to be used again :(

--Rakhal

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: Time for multi-track drifting IRL

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:05 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:Hello all!
 Todip I spent the better part of the afternoon visiting the Monterey Instutite for the Betterment and Promotion of Seaish Waterottermolpies. So that was molpish.

One might wonder if the recent re-appearance of a certain OTT dragon may have been related, in some timey-wimey-loopy sort of way, to the beginning of The Third Journey…
Molpish!
And I had the same thought about bOTTeriada.
ETA I don't have a missing avatar. I simply have no avatar at the moment.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np3081

Postby mscha » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:00 am UTC

BRONGLE...
Spoiler:
(Colorization by ergman.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THE MOST HATTED PART OF EE:EE:EEING IS WOWTERFALLISHNESS IN YOUR MOOLPY

-- posted by randompixbot

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: Time: MAKE YAPPOCISION, NOT MMONS

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:33 pm UTC

ggh wrote:That's like the most heretical thing you've ever said.
Assume the position:
Spoiler:

! ! !
But I don't look like this any more (went back to long hair)
Also, I'm back.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

ggh

Re: 1190: Time for multi-track drifting IRL

Postby ggh » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:53 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:ETA I don't have a missing avatar. I simply have no avatar at the moment.
Doh! Silly me. I knew that.

balthasar_s wrote:! ! !
But I don't look like this any more (went back to long hair)
Also, I'm back.
How was it?

Also, better?
Spoiler:

rsir:
Spoiler:
balthasarInTheComfyChairLongHair.jpg
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Eternal Density

Drift: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:06 am UTC

Because everything is RELATED, our needle-pulled-thing is always drifting between multiple tracks.
Not redundant, but my avatar is:
Spoiler:

Edit because I hadn't messed with the subject.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:17 am UTC

The spoilers contain images from Addams, to be referenced when directed to do so by her.

Fawns
Spoiler:
PART_1483557769624.jpg

Snow
Spoiler:
PART951483481132294.jpg
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:37 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Wait For It.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:49 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:The spoilers contain images from Addams, to be referenced when directed to do so by her.
I feel strangely compelled to wait.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:13 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:The spoilers contain images from Addams, to be referenced when directed to do so by her.

Fawns
Spoiler:

Snow
Spoiler:
oh, GnomeAnne!
That is Sooo Funny.
It doesn't work for You, either!

(tee-hee) Ha-Ha-Ha...(jeezee)
There are images. It's True, there are.
I do want to share them with Time Posters.

We will have to Wait for me to learn how.
My learning curve is not only very flat...

My learning curve has crossed into negative numbers.
GnomeAnne has Lost skill by hanging out with me.

Poor GnomeAnne.
I'm so sorry...chuckle

How about a Weather Report?
Spoiler:
Lucille and I were Snowed In from Sunday afternoon until Thursday afternoon.
I watched a big truck with knobby tires and brakes locked, slide helplessly down hill.

I watched my neighbors being pulled out of the ditch by tow trucks.
A walk out to the GreenHouse was a dangerous outdoor adventure.

The Snow and Ice made The World a dangerous place.
Lucille and I stayed in one place. We needed to Wait.

Then it happened!
The Bright Winter Sun!

The Sun came out on a crisp and cloudless day.
The Sun Gently Kissed The World, Lucille and me.

The Sun came out!
The Sun set us Free!

The Freedom of the Open Road!
Lucille and I had a nice Time.

The views were Spectacular, as usual.
The day was cold and the sky was unusually clear.

The Horizon line was crisp and straight as a knife's blade.
The blues of the water were Caribbean blues; Very Pretty.

I spoke to a photographer.
She said it is very difficult to capture the depth and feel of a day like today.
Even with all her fancy equipment; The open Horizon would be, just, a line.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
opps.
excuse me...Post Napping.
"An image is worth a thousand words."
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:33 am UTC

The Forum wrote:You are not authorised to download this attachment.
addams wrote:GnomeAnne has Lost skill by hanging out with me.

I am going to pretend that the plan all along was to have the images not work until Addams posted.
Oh wait, this one is better:
I can see the pictures fine, the problem must be on your end.
Wait For It.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:42 am UTC

Fawns:
Spoiler:
These two little cuties are eating Quail Treats.
I took the photo with a phone, through a window, as I stood beside my bed.

My Home is in a little clearing in the Forest.
Wild animals are my nearest neighbors.

Spoiler:

Snow:
Spoiler:
This is Cousin It. Auntie Addams' Mountain Man.
That Snow would not roll or even stick to itself very well.
My best efforts produced a Shield Volcano Mountain looking pile.

I dressed the Mountain. I stood back and looked at it.
The shape...Cousin It! I could almost hear him Twibble.

The Snow lacj4r
Spoiler:
Yey!! GnomeAnne did it!
Three Cheers for GnomeAnne!
Yey! GnomeAnne!
Yey! GnomeAnne!
Yey! Yey! Yey!
Last edited by addams on Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: Time for multi-IRL drifting track

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:42 am UTC

ggh wrote:How was it?

Also, better?
Spoiler:
I'm impressed by your manip skills.

It was interesting.
I have some things I could tell, but
because of FFS-relatedness,
it would not be a good idea to do it here,
on a public forum.
BFTF replay
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:00 am UTC

Not aBSTAinONG:
Luckily,

Luckily, there is a smaller pocket in your regular pocket.

It's probably the place for holding these fancy pocket clocks.

You don't have a pocket clock.

ETA2: ninja'd on the first ETA
Spoiler:
ETA: time until next ong is up slightly to 32 hours.
Last edited by ggh on Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:06 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

mrob27

1190: Time: NOT SURE IF WAITING FOR IT OR JUST RECENT

Postby mrob27 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:03 am UTC

I am writing this from the Baobab and Rosettas Canyon National Parks. We drove past a raptorcat conservation project on the way there, no thwapsticks allowed. It's too dark to see wowtrees at the moment, but expect to see plenty soon.

ggh wrote:I either think Besta! (fake Italian accent) or balthasar snipes Time again. […]

Of course, it might just be "BETA" (As in SBURB BETA) with one letter changed.
 Luckily,
Spoiler:
Luckily, Image

Luckily, there is a smaller pocket in your regular pocket.
It's probably the place for holding these fancy pocket clocks.
(ninja'd by @ggh)
Evidently the TUNA TUNO is 32 this time.
ETA: Edited one more time in a feeling of solidarity with @ggh :D
Last edited by mrob27 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:10 am UTC

Hiya mrob! I've got a question for you and maybe your bots: Is there a way to periodically check for changes to a sig?
Agatha the Awesomeful

mrob27

1190: Time: THE MYSTERYONG IS TOO CH**RPING SEAISH

Postby mrob27 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:45 am UTC

ggh wrote:Hiya mrob! I've got a question for you and maybe your bots: Is there a way to periodically check for changes to a sig?

I've kind of been doing it, but only by serendipity: If the signature changes no more than once every time that person posts on a page that they haven't previously posted to, then I have a record of it. I have a special script that scans through the files and extracts the history of signatures.
  I didn't start OTTing until 2013 August but @Sciscitor kindly donated his collection of HTML files, so I even have some signature history for folks who did not post after I showed up.
  I have 18 of your signatures. Sometimes the change is very subtle. Here is part of it:
Spoiler:
20130524.15:17:30:
KarMann, we miss you - come back to the present! Image
20130915.14:07:52:
Hey MistyCat! That's where I got sad and thought about leaving. Keep going! I'm having a great time now and you will too. You shall reach the end. Image
. . . Image
20160322.10:45:26: Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but I will get it :) Image
20160506.02:14:37:
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it :) Agatha the Awesomeful Image
20160616.08:17:54:
Agatha the Awesomeful

My script can also estimate when someone had a certain post count. For example, I can ask it when @ggh had 1190 posts. It replies 20150915.21:57:24 UTC.
  You posted message OTT:2370:30, and I have HTML of that page from 20150915.21:57:24 UTC (which is shortly after OTT:2371:0 was posted), and that HTML of Newpage 2370 says that you had 1190 posts.

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:03 am UTC

That's really treeish! I've often wondered about the post count thing too.... Very treeisho.

Note to self: Make sending out the remaining requested magnets part of 2017's New Year's Resolution.

You're up late, eh? Nevermind. I immediately forgot about the coast swap.
Agatha the Awesomeful

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:08 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:19 pm UTC

!!!
ooohh! Magnets!
!!!

Spoiler:
MAGNET PUPPY.jpg

Is it too late for me to ask for one?
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:51 pm UTC

Well, it's not too late, but don't get too excited either - Neil, flado, Link and ergman have been waiting for theirs for... baobabs... two-and-a-half years. Holy molpy. There are OTTers who have been waiting on a PM reply from me for close to a year-and-a-half. Yikes!

Those are pretty cute deerpies Addams. :) How did the wildlife feel about Cousin It?
Agatha the Awesomeful

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:11 pm UTC

Maybe I'll order some myself then.
Did you crop them by hand, or are there different sizes of magnets you can order?
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

=A=t university Mrorl and Balthacarius had studied with the great Chanardan of UNGdor, who by that time had created a new field of study and published 27 works on the General Theory of OTTifiable Dragons. Many believe that dragons don't exist. But while this simplistic formulation may satisfy the Outsider, it does not suffice for the OTTish mind. The School of Scale-able Scalar Surreality is in fact entirely unconcerned with what does or does not exist. Indeed, existence has been demonstrated and refuted so many times on the OTT that there is no need to discuss it any further here. The brilliant Chanardan, attacking the subject analytically, discovered three distinct kinds of dragon:
    * The Dragons of Inquisition, who Crave Cauldrons of Chocolate;
    * The Dragons of Temporal Insubtransmodulation (Incorporated);
    * The Dragons of Cryptology, frequently mistaken for the common Night Fury or Stormdragon.
  They all were, one might say, unreal, but each escaped reality in a completely different way. And then there were the many Dragons of the Distant Aforewhen, the ever-lurking Pundragons, and the elusive Double Dragonpost, the latter being of the most interest because of the well-known dracological paradox: when two dragons ninjapost one another, the product is doubly OTTified, resembling a self-goating decree (provided that at least one antepengoat has been sacrificed to the Pope). Bitter controversy raged among expert observers on the question of whether, as half of them claimed, these posts appeared from the mome of a Newpage down or, as the other half maintained, from the goat up. Mrorl and Balthacarius made a great contribution by showing the error of both positions. They were the first to apply probability theory to this question and, in so doing, created the field of statistical draconics, which says that dragons are temporodynamically impossible only in the probabilistic sense, as are all the mysteries of Time. Using the field equations of general OTTibility, the two bOTTifactors obtained the coefficients of pixelation, retronymity, metaconfectionary, etc. They found that

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

AluisioASG

OTTified, obviously.

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:26 am UTC

Okay, seems someone threw a laser at the holistic entanglement field today… This article hit me earlier today: What if Time Really Exists??
Abstract: Despite the redundant obviousness of such statement, it has often been argued that Time does not exist. I take the opposite perspective: let's imagine that Time somehow does exist, and its universe is described by a molpy obeying ordinary time-dependent Time mechanics. Reconciling this simple framing with the known facts about our universe turns out to be a non-trivial task, but by taking it seriously we can infer deep facts about the fundamental nature of Timeframes. The Newpix finds a plausible explanation in a “Randallian universe”, described by a ℝ²–state eternally evolving in an infinite-ℝ².⁵ dimensional space.

ETA: Nice number.
ETA+: I don't think these post numbers were a coincidence. Were they?

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:55 am UTC

Not aBSTAinONG:
Luckily,
[...]
Fun fact:
I do have one.
But it is destroyed.
Spoiler:
BFTF replay

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:12 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Maybe I'll order some myself then.
Did you crop them by hand, or are there different sizes of magnets you can order?
I ordered them from Magnapix, which I think just does squares of one size, so I cut them myself. I'm not entirely convinced of the durability of those cropped edges. If there's anyone out there whose cropped magnet has started to peel apart at the edges, please speak up, for science!

mr*bdex story wrote:... the two bOTTifactors obtained the coefficients of pixelation, retronymity, metaconfectionary, etc.
*chortles apprciatively*

Next ong will be "Place ARMs inside clockpocket" which appeared somewhere between 10:something and 8:44 on the countdown.
balthasar_s wrote:There are two conditions to make the text appear. One time-related, one not.
I wonder how hard one or both of these would be to deduce....

AluisioASG wrote:Okay, seems someone threw a laser at the holistic entanglement field today… This article hit me earlier today: What if Time Really Exists??
First sentence in the paper after the abstract, unchanged:
Time seems important.
Ya think?

balthasar_s wrote:I do have one.
But it is destroyed.
But was it destroyed in 2011?
(It was fun watching that guy setting his watch to that big one.)
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:28 pm UTC

ggh wrote:But was it destroyed in 2011?
It was.
But
in 2011 I didn't even know it exists.

If there's anyone out there whose cropped magnet has started to peel apart at the edges, please speak up, for science!

One of them did
Spoiler:
Zdjęcie0034.jpg

I wonder how hard one or both of these would be to deduce....
Do you remember how it was with bftf?
Apart from the timer countdown, what was the other condition to ong the next frame..
Because here, the situation is similar.
BFTF replay

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:19 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:One of them did
I was afraid of that. So for any future magnet croppings, maybe a bit of epoxy or similar around the edges might be a good idea.

Do you remember how it was with bftf?
Apart from the timer countdown, what was the other condition to ong the next frame..
Because here, the situation is similar.
On NP 2033, balthasar_s wrote:I had to prepare the botcastle for this. If there is mustard that makes the botcastle inaccessible from outside it shouldn't ONG in silence. If nobody saw the latest ONG (nobody downloaded ongoing.png) it won't ONG the next but will Wait for it instead. So that you won't miss the new ONGs.
Sooo... the next-ONG title (nOt?) only appears after someone has viewed the current ONG?
Also, it has its own countdown, which is based on where the broken hand of your pocket watch is pointing. Okay, maybe not.

ED, I like your new avatar, but it's going to take some time to get used to it. I think you'll still be Roman summer to me for summer Time to come.
Agatha the Awesomeful

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:22 pm UTC

thunk wrote:As for one of my adventurous walks, the most recent one was last year's walking tour of New York City. Three days, 40 km (including walking to the LGA terminal), a bunch of subway travel, and zero taxis.

Long Live the OTT!
Thunk?
May I ask a question?

I walked in New York City, once Upon a Time, all by myself.
I went to The Cloisters.

Did you go to The Cloisters?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloisters

It was an amazing experience.
I was inside one of the worlds largest cities.

At the very same Time, I was far away from The World.
While you were walking in NYC; Did you go there?

Thunk? If you walked there;
What did you think of the place?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:59 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Sooo... the next-ONG title (nOt?) only appears after someone has viewed the current ONG?
Almost the correct answer.
Do you remember the bftf timer colors and what they meant?
Also, it has its own countdown,
There is only one countdown. Only that the ong requires it to go all the way to 0 and the nextitle doesn't. It only needs a part of this.
BFTF replay

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:52 pm UTC

Place ARMs inside clockpocket

You insert your ARMs into your clockpocket. You're still not sure why you wanted to take them.
Also, having non-clocky things in a clockpocket feels kind of... wrong.

I was not paying attention and did not get the TUNO.
Spoiler:
This seems like a good way to be electrocuted.
Lightning on the moon.gif
Lightning on the moon.gif (37.43 KiB) Viewed 15940 times
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:58 am UTC

I am so confused.

Did the balthvatar change while balthasar was asleep? I thought it was still the LEML/wheelstick when I left for the airport. Maybe that was earlier than I thought....

Where did the lightning gif come from? It looks different than the lightning gif I remember.

Does viewed mean the same thing as downloaded in this post?

I visited The Cloisters. Why don't I remember The Cloisters?

Now that I think back, I realize I've carried a lot more in my pockets than b, because I wore cargo shorts back in my soldering days. Should I be proud or ashamed?

(BTW: TUNO was 32 again.)
Also, I'm guessing 2/3rds of the countdown for the nextitle, but I'm afraid I won't be awake this time to see .
Agatha the Awesomeful

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:05 am UTC

The lightning started as a still image that was part of balthasar's avatar, I turned it into a flashy gif.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:23 am UTC

Ah - that explains it! Nice work! Another fine example of great minds think alike. :)
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:24 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:I turned it into a flashy gif.
It was already a gif, at the beginning.
And it comes from here.
BFTF replay

mrob27

1190: Time: HELLO. MY NAME IS BUNNY. YOU KEUGHT UP MY VIRGIN. PREPARE TO BLINDPOST.

Postby mrob27 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:24 am UTC

ggh wrote: […] Did the balthvatar change while balthasar was asleep? […]

The present Balthasar avatar is the same as one that was bring used on 2nd April 2015.
Where did the lightning gif come from? It looks different than the lightning gif I remember.

That's from a Balthasar avatar that was being used as early as 6th January 2014.
  A fairly complete history of avatars is available on ЯОЯЯІМ ТТО ƎНТ at /ott/avatar/. They are organised by user ID (Balthasar's is 289420, mine is 232629) then by date. There are about 24 @mrob27 avatars and about 35 @balthasar_s avatars. I have a few more, which I collected manually before ЯОЯЯІМ ƎНТ was set up.

mrob27 Image (and Image )

(ETN: ENAP >= 9)

(NBTSAT: Insert a clock into clockpocket.
Prediction: B is going to connect the output of a 555 to one of the ARMs. Let's see how he manages to break it (the 555).)

Footnotes
ETN: Edited No Note
NBSTAT: Next BSTA Title

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”