1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ucim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:17 am UTC

Molpish that Chronos found a dragon to share with... hope it is seaish in its newpixitude! Oh, and I can see the newpixometer too. I can't tell you if it's working or not though; I have most scripts disabled.

yappobiscuits wrote:Well to be fair I wouldn't hold your breath for my version
The OTO (One True Oratorio) will probably require a lot of First Commandment observation on this side too... I've been thinking about it for yips (with no progress). Oratorios are seaish, and good ones (that will hold people's attention for many newpix) require really big trees and a lot of Second Commandment observation. But it would be awesomeful, wouldn't it!

As Mystery runs into Summit, I wish you all molpish Heretical holiday celebrations; we respect Heresy even as we look forward to the upcoming celebration of the Dawn of Time (which still requires some Waiting for it).

Seems I'm Pope of NP 2028: Decree: Be heretical! (But be sure to come back.) :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

mrob27

1190: Time: THAT'S ONE RIVERISH CREDENZA FOR A DRACOMOLP, ONE SEAISH CREDENZA FOR DRACOMOLPKIND

Postby mrob27 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:23 am UTC

Welcome forward, @ChronosDragon! I'm thrilled to learn of these recent developments in the journeys of that great dragon of steampunk, modern science, and creativity who gave me a hat Image

every performance of John Cage's 4'33" is a play-along, whether you want to participate or not

It's easy to abstain — just make yourself obvious by moving around and/or making noise. Anyone doing so is clearly not performing 4'33". :D
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:45 pm UTC

Help!
Too. Many. Cookies.

(also, Merry Christmas!)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

svenman

Postby svenman » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:12 pm UTC

Molpish Christmas to all! (There's no OTTish word for Christmas, is there?)

And treeish to read about the molpish things that happened in your life, CD.

New BSTA:
Choose multiplayer...

To be or to join?

That is the question!
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

addams

Postby addams » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:44 am UTC

And; A Happy Solstice Holidays to The One True Thread and The Whole Wonderful Flora!
Spoiler:
We are The Best!
Spoiler:
I am but a drop in the Sea.
But; Its the Best Sea!

It's Gift Getting/Giving Day!
YEY! It got here!

It's also eat as much as a Poster can eat day!
But, Just barley. Don't wake anyone...
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:55 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

addams

Postby addams » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:13 pm UTC

Holiday Music from one of our True Talents:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG24SX4HEK8
Spoiler:
((sniff) (all moody))

I can't find the Other One....
Spoiler:
Maybe, it's under all the imaginary wrapping paper....

I found This.
It is less Romantic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji89bfrtJJM

It may be for the best.
What I'm looking for makes me cry.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:23 pm UTC

A Merry Holidays to all OTTers (including blitzers who stumble on this a some future Time) from a basement dweller.

I wanted to share with you xuys the gift I found for myself; but I can't find a decent U-tube~~ video version, so I'll just share:
I found a DVD at the grocery/dry-goods store from the PBS 'Nature' program titled: "Charlie and the Curious Otters" with one Charlie Hamilton James as he videos otters in the wild and a tame one with regular and high-speed photography. (Plus CGI details about their anatomy.) He managed to get shots of them catching prey and smelling/tasting underwater. He also followed three orphaned baby river otters as they were raised to be released back into the wild. (This part happened within the last two yips or so; and doesn't include long-term results, but initial results are positive.)
This fellow is so otter-ific that at one point he declares he's going to stop talking to the camera, because he'd rather be swimming with otters. :lol:

~~ ~~ one [set] of videos is Hi-quality, unfortunately only random clips seem to exist and need to be chased down.
~~The full length version is ............ annoying.......... Low quality. A quarter of the screen is covered by 'flashy-gif' style ads and 'click-here-to-like' promos. And, oh by the way, there's the video; which is made to look like it is inside a movie theatre (complete with fake audience members) and filmed from an oblique angle so the screen is a trapezoid and you can't even zoom in past the ..... annoying..... parts to get a decent view (and the video is low-grade).
~~And it looks like all you can do at PBS.org is find it for sale as a DVD.
~~Typing in 'Charlie and the Curious Otters' at U-tube does get some other fun otter vids.

Wait Well Friends......
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:02 pm UTC

addams wrote:Holiday Music from one of our True Talents:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG24SX4HEK8
Spoiler:
((sniff) (all moody))

Oooh, I don't think I'd seen that (or my memory is worse than I remember). I has the feels too, now.

mrob27

1190: Time: THIS TRILOMEG IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE WOWTERFALLISH THINGS.

Postby mrob27 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:41 pm UTC

addams wrote:Holiday Music from one of our True Talents: (We Love the Thread of Time)
I can't find the Other One….
I found This.
It is less Romantic.
(Every Major's Terrible XKCD Sing-a-Long)

Don't forget my OTTified "Chiron Beta Prime" (which is, at least, actually xmas-related).

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Lunch Time (doubly so)"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:14 am UTC

Merry Christmas or Beebo Day, whatever you like to celebrate. (Actually it's already Boxing Day lunchtime here :P )

"The name of my next [descriptor] band" is a thing people say regardless of their current band-having status. I haven't actually thought through as far as actual song ideas for Kalestorm, but I like the flavour of Yappo's suggestions (unlike kale :P )

BTW the name of my next digital electronical girl hair band is The Uncanny Valley Girls.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:05 am UTC

My tired mind can't find Christmas drifting away from Winter (north) Summer (south) Solstice.
The Why? and what Time related Cat-Apostrophe was or will be created by this One Un-Related Drift?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=123991
I've missed it, somehow.
I may be lost on the Wrong part of the Flora, the Internet or the Space-Cyber-Time.

Good Boxing Eve to One and All.

Weather Report:
Spoiler:
A mild Spring Day.
Blue Skies, Calm Seas, Warm ButterYellow SunLight Poured on EveryOne and EveryThing.
Spoiler:
It is so easy to take nice weather for granted or worse as justly earned.
HA-HA-HA!
The Uncanny Valley Girls.
That's funny. HA-HA-HA!
Spoiler:
Go to sleep, Me!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

mrob27

1190: Time: NONE OF THE PLACES I FLOATED HAD RAPTORCUDAS.

Postby mrob27 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:31 am UTC

I've updated AUTEMOME to include the new xkcd 1930 meme, and also "The Science Fiction Horror Movie Pocket Computer" by Gahan Wilson:

I did some research on the latter, and found what I believe to be the original, a one-page article published in The National Lampoon, November 1971, full-page image here.
  You'll see that in the original, it never begins with "The", and there is never a full-stop after "Earth". Thus there is no awkward incomplete sentence "The Earth." at the beginning. All make sense grammatically:

Earth burns up …
  Earth scientists invent …
  Earth is attacked by …
  Earth is struck by a …

In the course of adding these memes, I altered the automeme code so that regex-substitutions are no longer allowed as the last item in a multiple-choice list. The no-longer-supported syntax looks like this:

Code: Select all

[LITERAL@0.5, $1/predefined-regex/]

For a more complete example, consider this:

# Abbreviate a trailing "ING" to "IN'" (meant for verbs)
regex abbrev-ing: /:$/ :/, /$/ /, /ING /IN' /, / $//, / :$/:/

templates:
[verb-cont][verb-cont][][$0/abbrev-ing/] AND [MOLPIN'@0.33, $1/abbrev-ing/]

Though $1/abbrev-ing/ is allowed inside brackets by itself, it can no longer be used as the final item in a list. The best way to rewrite the above is to change the template to:

[verb-cont][MOLPING@0.33, verb-cont][][$0/abbrev-ing/] AND [$1/abbrev-ing/]

In exchange for the new restrictions, a lot of new syntaxes have been made possible.
  Template-names in a multiple-choice list may have their own frequencies. This also means that if a template-name is the same as a word, there might now be some unexpected results; this meant that I had to rename the "destroyed" template to prevent it calling itself recursively.
  One may now use history variables like $1 inside multiple-choice lists, which helped with the xkcd 1190 one, for example:

template o1930-fixit: [noun-singular-negative][$0/intensify/][adjective-negative][]THERE'S A PROPOSAL TO DEMUSTARD IT, BUT IT [WILL NEVER HAPPEN@0.25, ACTUALLY MAKES THINGS $1@0.33, IS CONTESTED BY THE SYNOD@0.5, MIGHT BE $2][]

This reduces the need for intermediate templates for simple uses of history variables in literal strings, like the "MIGHT BE $2" in this example. Before the change, the o1930-fixit template would need to depend on two sub-templates, like this:

template o1930-actually-worse: [noun-singular-negative][$0/intensify/][]ACTUALLY MAKES THINGS [$1][]
template o1930-might-be-mustard: [adjective-negative][]MIGHT BE [$0][]
template o1930-fixit-alt: THERE'S A PROPOSAL TO DEMUSTARD IT, BUT IT [WILL NEVER HAPPEN@0.25, o1930-actually-worse@0.33, IS CONTESTED BY THE SYNOD@0.5, o1930-might-be-mustard][]

(One might argue that this still better, because it is easier to read, but I wanted to allow the one-line syntax, and I have.)
  None of this matters for the original Gahan Wilson version, because it isn't trying to use extensible vocabulary.
  It occurs to me that it might be helpful to others including @balthasar_s if the AUTEMOME file format were defined more fully, with examples. I had been reluctant to do a lot of that in the past, because I knew that I'd need to extend the language and change things here and there; but it now seems to have matured.

mrob27 Image

EDIT: I guess it might be of interest to show my version of Gahan Wilson's Science Fiction Horror Movie Pocket Computer. This illustrates the fact that templates can be defined in whatever order you wish, so I matched everything to the order it is found in the "flowchart".

# "The Science Fiction Horror Movie Pocket Computer" by Gahan Wilson
# {see "Gahan-Wilson-SciFi-plots.jpg"}
# Original code by balthasar_s; refactored by mrob27
#

template sfc_earth: Earth [sfc_earth3@0.8, sfc_earth1@0.5, sfc_earth2][]

# The two "short" branches on left and right of original diagram
#
template sfc_all_die:  [almost @0.5,]everyone dies (The End)[]
template sfc_earth1: [burns up@0.33, freezes@0.5, falls into the sun] and [sfc_all_die][]

template sfc_destroyed: [destroyed@0.5, saved] (The End)[]
template sfc_not_destroyed: not destroyed but [sfc_all_die][]
template sfc_earth2: is struck by a giant comet and [sfc_destroyed, sfc_not_destroyed][]

# Long branch in centre of diagram
#
template sfc_earth3: [sfc_science, sfc_attack] [sfc_thing-name] [$1/-wh] [peril2][]

# top part (identifies adversary)
#
template sfc_scale: [tiny@0.5, giant][]
template sfc_science: scientists [invent@0.5, discover] [sfc_scale][]
template sfc_attack: is attacked by [sfc_scale] [Martian@0.5, Moon@0.33, Betelgeusen@0.5, extragalactic][]

multiclass sfc_thing [-name, -wh]:
bugs               | which
reptiles           | which
mechanical devices | which
superpersons       | who
icky things        | which

# second part (identifies peril)
#
template peril1: [are friendly but misunderstood@0.33, misunderstand us@0.5, understand us too well][continue][]
template peril2: [peril1@0.5, want_women@0.33, want_food@0.5, friendly_end][]

template want_women: want our women[continue, women_end][]
template women_end: , take a few and leave (The End)[]
template friendly_end: are friendly (The End)[]
template want_food: look upon us only as a source of nourishment[continue, food_end][]
template food_end: [] and eat us (The End)[]

# middle section characterising the adversary (and possible kill)
#
template continue: [] and are [not @0.5,]radioactive and [sfc_killed, sfc_notkilled][]
template sfc_killed: can be killed by [sfc_killer] (The End)[]
template sfc_killer: [a crowd of peasants with torches@0.143, the Army@0.167, the Navy@0.2, the Air Force@0.25, the Coast Guard@0.33, the Marine Corps@0.5, the atomic bomb][]
template sfc_notkilled: cannot be killed by [sfc_killer][but_then, finally_however, sfc_weapon, sfc_however][]

# bottom section, leftmost part
#
template but_then: , but they die from catching chicken pox (The End)[]

# bottom, middle parts
#
template finally_however: so [they kill us@0.33, they put us under a benign dictatorship@0.5, they eat us] (The End)[]

template sfc_weapon: so scientists invent a weapon [weapon-fails@0.33, weapon-kills@0.5, weapon-lumps][]
template weapon-fails: which fails, [but_then, finally_however][]
template weapon-kills: which kills them (The End)[]
template weapon-lumps: which turns them into disgusting lumps (The End)[]

# bottom section, rightmost part
#
template sfc_however: but [no_love@0.67, in_love][]

template no_love: [a cute little kid convinces them that people are OK@0.5, a priest talks to them of God] and [sfc_fate6] (The End)[]
template sfc_fate6: [they die@0.33, they leave@0.5, they turn into disgusting lumps][]
template in_love: they fall in love with this beautiful girl and [love_fate, love_end] (The End)[]
template love_fate: [sfc_fate6][]
template love_end: they get married and live happily forever after[]

templates:
[sfc_earth]

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: Time: NONE OF THE PLACES I FLOATED HAD RAPTORCUDAS.

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:30 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:"The Science Fiction Horror Movie Pocket Computer" by Gahan Wilson:

I noticed missing spaces:
Earth scientists invent tiny bugs which look upon us only as a source of nourishment and are radioactive and cannot be killed by the Coast Guardso scientists invent a weapon which kills them (The End)

Earth scientists discover giant superpersons who want our women and are radioactive and cannot be killed by the Armybut a cute little kid convinces them that people are OK and they turn into disgusting lumps (The End)

ETA: i see you reused my pattern names.
Also I noticed, looking at this:

[peril1@0.5, want_women@0.33, want_food@0.5, friendly_end]
that apparently the numbers don't represent total probability.
So peril1 has 50% probability, and want_women has 0.33% probability of the remaining 50%, so 0.165%.
Am I right?
when I was making this I thought that this is supposed to be the total probability
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

mrob27

1190: Time: MY REDUNDAKITTY BLINDPOSTETH OVER

Postby mrob27 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:23 am UTC

Thanks for noticing the error!

This is why I need to do a much better job of describing the meme language.

The things like "@0.5," are probabilities, as you noticed, and they are evaluated left-to-right. Each one makes a random choice whose outcome is determined by the number, and as soon as one of them turns out to be "true", the rest of the list is ignored.
  In the multiple-choice:

[RED@0.25, YELLOW@0.33, GREEN@0.5, BLUE]

What happens is:

• There is a 25% chance of choosing "RED",
  • if it doesn't choose "RED", then there is a 33% chance of choosing "YELLOW",
  • if it doesn't choose "RED" or "YELLOW", then there is a 50% chance of choosing "GREEN",
  • if it doesn't choose any of those, then it chooses "BLUE".

This seems even more confusing if you consider this:

[template1, template2, template3]

which is almost exactly equivalent to:

[template1@0.33, template2@0.5, template3]

which is also almost exactly equivalent to:

[template1@0.33, template2, template3]

(the difference being that 0.33 is not exactly 1/3). What these examples show is that if you don't use the numbers, it will choose between the un-numbered choices with equal probability.
  But you cannot do that with "literal text", i.e. text that is to be taken verbatim, not the name of a class or template. I wanted to allow multiple-choice between phrases that contain a comma:

[RED, YELLOW, AND BLUE@0.5, ORANGE, GREEN, AND PURPLE]

to choose either "RED, YELLOW, AND BLUE" or "ORANGE, GREEN, AND PURPLE" with equal probability — and this indeed works (though until just today there was a bug that made the commas turn to spaces, but I've just fixed that.)

If that's not bad enough, consider this:

[class1, class2, class3]

where class1, class2, and class3 are word lists. Here, the relative chance of picking each class is proportional to the number of words in that class. There's a reason for that! I wanted to be able to define lists of words of different but related types (like the different kinds of nouns), and have an easy way to choose a word from two or more such lists with equal probability per wordw.
  But if you want to choose from word-classes with explicit probabilities, you can also do that:

[class1@0.33, class2@0.5, class3]

and the odds of picking each type of word will be equal, regardless of how many words are in each class.

I know this doesn't make much sense, but it was the easiest way to make sure that there was no requirement that the numbers add up to 1.0 (or 100%). Then, once I translated all of @Link's memes, I was stuck with it.
  Notice that there's no reason to use a number that is 1.0 or greater (it would cause all subsequent items in the list to be ignored). That means I can, sometime in the future, decide to add another option for more logical probabilities. I can make a rule that states that if you use any numbers that are 1 or higher, then it will do some more logical or easy-to-understand calculation, like adding all the numbers together and using probabilities relative to the total.

mrob27 Image

w(But, there's another way to do that, which is to define a class that has other classes as members. But that's good, because I like there to be multiple ways of doing common tasks. Always err on the side of "Easier for the user, harder for the programmer".)

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:12 pm UTC

Well, now I've got mrob's OTTified "Chiron Beta Prime" in my head. Neat. :)

Christmas in Wellington was pretty ace as usual. We didn't get to go swimming, but there was lots of eating (including some yummy shrimp off the barbie), enjoyment of sunshine, kids playing in the hammock, and person-high jenga duels on the lawn (using those really big blocks). Boxing Day was blustery with a good inch of rain falling, which was also fantastic, because we sure do need the rain.

And pelrigg! So good to see you! Thanks for the video pointer. :)

And yes, I know it was just a typo, but I couldn't help picturing Addams eating only barley for the holidays. I briefly considered sending her the fruitcake I'm pretty sure I've still got somewhere in one of these kitchen drawers... then I realized that would not be an improvement over nothing but barley.

Chronos! So fantastic! Both to see your update and the contents within! :) I'd hoped you'd give us an update - but that was even better than I'd hoped for.

HES, is there a story behind your hampsterlessness? (apologies if I just missed it in my absence.) In my head, I still see Simba when I read your posts.

Ooh - is that the sun peeking through the clouds? Good morning, Sun! But feel free to let those clouds keep doing their thing. All the grass is too dead to appreciate the opportunity for photosynthesis. The pohutukawas are looking magnificent though.

Neat OTTercomic, svenman! I confess it made me wonder though if anyone has already hacked and hijacked any home smart devices to get them to rickroll the occupants....

Like my decree-following, Jose?
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

addams

Postby addams » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:12 pm UTC

I learn so much interesting and entertaining 'tid-bits' from Time Posters.

Sticky Beak!?
Who knew?
You knew!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRcJ554cMY8

Pohutukawas; The New Zealand Christmas Tree...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrosideros_excelsa
Another delightful surprise.

Of course, as an Ethnocentric American,
I thought those came from California.

But; NO!
They journeyed much farther to decorate our suburbs and line our freeways.

It's good to read about your High Summer Holidays DownUnder, ggh.
Yes..May the Rain fall softly on your land and the fire stay far away.
Spoiler:
ggh; You are so funny.
We will discuss my diet or lack of diet, later.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Once a PON a TIME"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:29 am UTC

ggh wrote:Well, now I've got mrob's OTTified "Chiron Beta Prime" in my head. Neat. :)

It only takes mentioning it for that to happen to me. Songs stick in my memory pretty well. It's a nice change from the other song that's been in my head today, which I'm working on OTTifying.

Preview:
Spoiler:
RUN RUN WAITWAITWAIT
RUN RUN WAIT RUN WAIT RUN RUN
WAIT WAIT RUNRUNRUN
WAIT WAIT RUN WAIT RUN WAIT WAIT
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

yappobiscuits

Re: 1190: Time: Molpy Chirpmas

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:40 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:
every performance of John Cage's 4'33" is a play-along, whether you want to participate or not

It's easy to abstain — just make yourself obvious by moving around and/or making noise. Anyone doing so is clearly not performing 4'33". :D

On the contrary, 4'33" was actually created as an experiment into the sounds that occur within an apparent "silence". The idea of the piece is when you hear it performed, you pay attention to the ambient sounds of the venue, any sounds (accidental or otherwise) of the audience etc. The idea being that any noise that occurs is a part of the piece, so every performance is unique. Really the only way to abstain is by not being there at all!
addams wrote:I can't find the Other One....
Spoiler:
Maybe, it's under all the imaginary wrapping paper....

I found This.
It is less Romantic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji89bfrtJJM

It may be for the best.
What I'm looking for makes me cry.

What, this?
Or perhaps this?

Anyway hope y'all had a very Molpy Chirpmas or whatever outside heretical holidip it was, I can never quite remember...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mrob27

1190: Time: THE OTHERCOMIC ****DS HERE

Postby mrob27 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:12 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:On the contrary, 4'33" was actually created as an experiment into the sounds that occur within an apparent "silence". [...]

Thank you. That sounds familiar. I probably still think of 4'33" as originally conceived (quoting John Cage): "[...] to compose a piece of uninterrupted silence and sell it to Muzak Co. It will be three or four-and-a-half minutes long [...]" which gives the impression that the silence is the composition, and anything that is not silence is not part of the intended performance of the composition.

But as you say, this concept soon evolved into what it became, an observation of the impossibility of silence.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:49 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

mrob27

1190: Time: I'M NOT REALLY INTO GATORRAPTORS.

Postby mrob27 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:57 am UTC

I have added recursive call-chain information to the error reporting in autemome. For example, in the code that I recently shared for Gahan Wilson's Science Fiction Horror Movie Pocket Computer, I can create an error by adding a bogus "[$1]" at the beginning of a template:

template sfc_fate6: [$1][they die@0.33, they leave@0.5, they turn into disgusting lumps][]

then make a bunch of memes (and discard the output) with the command:

automeme -vv -n 143 -t '[sfc_earth]' > /dev/null

It eventually stumbles upon the error, and gives a detailed diagnostic:

*** Error: There is no '$1' in history (d)
  : (from command line -t '[sfc_earth]')
      [peril2]
        "[peril1@0.5, want_women@0.33, want_food@0.5, friendly_end]"
          [peril1]
            "[are friendly but misunderstood@0.33, misunderstand us@0.5, understand us too well][continue]"
              [continue]
                [but_then, finally_however, sfc_weapon, sfc_however]
                  [sfc_however]
                    "but [no_love@0.67, in_love]"
                      [no_love@0.67, in_love]
                        [no_love]
                          "[a cute little kid convinces them that people are OK@0.5, a priest talks to them of God] and [sfc_fate6] (The End)"
                            [sfc_fate6]
                              "[$1][they die@0.33, they leave@0.5, they turn into disgusting lumps]"
                                [$1]

Of course, the point of all this was to OTTify Gahan Wilson's "Science Fiction Horror Movie Pocket Computer", which I have now done.
autemome wrote: IN THE OTC, OTTERS ONG PENGOATIMATE HACKERS WHO WANT OUR GECKOLPIES, TAKE A FEW AND LEAVE (T** **D)

IN THE OTC, OTTERS ENHANCE PRICKLY MUSTARDSBUSTERS WHO WANT OUR HABERDASHERS AND ARE RIVERISH AND CANNOT BE HATTED BY THE HILL PEOPLE BUT THEY BASEMENT AFTER DEMUSTARDING THE MADNESS (T** **D)

THE OTT IS WAITED FOR BY AWEFULSOME 4CHAN BOTS WHICH ARE FRIENDLY BUT MISUNDERSTOOD AND ARE HILLISH AND CAN BE MINDGREPPED BY A TRUCKLOAD OF VIRGINS (T** **D)

IN THE OTC, OTTERS OTTIFY RAPTORISH OUTSIDERS WHO ARE FRIENDLY BUT MISUNDERSTOOD AND ARE PRICKLY AND CAN BE BANNED BY THE VOLDEFRAME (T** **D)

THE OTT SUFFERS FROM ENDLESS 503 ERRORS AND EVERYMOLPY GOES TO THE BASEMENT (T** **D)

IN THE OTC, OTTERS ENHANCE SEAISH TROLLS WHO MISUNDERSTAND US AND ARE PRICKLY AND CAN BE BANNED BY THE SANDMASONS (T** **D)

THE OTT IS RETRONINJASPOILERED BY PROTO-BEANISH GOOGLE TROLLS WHO WANT OUR PHONESAWS AND ARE REDUNDANT AND CAN BE HATTED BY THE VOLDEFRAME (T** **D)

I've added a bit more error detection, and found a few errors that have been in the memes for quite some time. During this I decided to deprecate the use of commas in literal strings. You can still do it, but if you invoke autemome from the command line with error reporting enabled (command line option -v or -vv), it will complain that "'GREEN' is not a valid class name", etc. The "preferred" way now is to use the hexadecimal escape "%2c" in place of any literal comma in a multiple-choice list item:

[RED%2c YELLOW%2c AND BLUE@0.5, ORANGE%2c GREEN%2c AND PURPLE]

mrob27 Image

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time"; THE MOONBASE IS NINJAD BY STEAMBOTTLISH RAPTORSHARKS WHICH LOOK UPON US ONLY AS A SOURCE OF SANDCASTLE

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:44 am UTC

The botcastle is being relocated to the new base.
I'm moving my server to a different location.
Before this task is finished it will not be avaliable.
A different, temporary replacement server will try to replace it in the meantime.
But some things will be different on the replacement:
  • No bots running, so no bsta ongs, no mirror updates, no mr*bdex story updates, etc.
  • some services not working, so no https, no facebug mirror, etc.
  • changes made in interactive interfaces like 2 words, coincidence, silent chronotransponder, mustardtime otherthread, etc. will be gone when the original server starts working again, so please dont write any posts with those.

mrob27 wrote: it will complain that "'GREEN' is not a valid class name", etc.
Green is not a creative color.
BFTF replay
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Timeq"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:11 am UTC

Would someone mind explaining to me what Gahan Wilson's Science Fiction Horror Movie Pocket Computer is?
If not, please do.

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Timeq"

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:37 am UTC

See this link, originally posted here by mrob.

You will see the "pocket computer" itself and some written introduction/explanation from its author.
If this is still not enough then we can explain it with our words.

Recently, I finally started using the ggh magnets in my kitchen.
BFTF replay

addams

Postby addams » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:41 pm UTC

There is an OutSide Rumor.
It says, "The East of the U.S. is C-cold."

Stay in and stay warm, Eastern Posters.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time"; THE MOONBASE IS NINJAD BY STEAMBOTTLISH RAPTORSHARKS WHICH LOOK UPON US ONLY AS A SOURCE OF SANDCASTLE

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:23 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:The botcastle is being relocated to the new base.
And done. the server was successfully installed in my new home.

Also, the temporary replacement server was not successful with doing its job.
BFTF replay

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:12 am UTC

addams wrote:There is an OutSide Rumor.
It says, "The East of the U.S. is C-cold."

Stay in and stay warm, Eastern Posters.

Will do, but it's only 50. Rainy though.

New knee installed. And when we got him home today, we found a letter from the insurance company approving the surgery. Good to know.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

svenman

Postby svenman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:06 pm UTC

Now that the botcastle is available again:

Join server

This is getting RELATED!

As for the weather around here, temperatures have been mostly in the Celsius single digits above zero (thirties and forties Fahrenheit) since before Christmas. Practically no snow, especially not for Christmas. I've heard a very different tale from relatives in Ontario, however...
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:53 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:11 am UTC

The weather here has been in the single digits Fahrenheit above zero since Christmas. Frosty.

80236. Is this a alternate universe computer? Intel made the 80286, which basically kicked off the PC era. Never heard of a 80236 though.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np2504

Postby mscha » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:00 am UTC

LETTERONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:SO I HERD U LIEK CUSTARD

-- posted by randompixbot

balthasar_s

Re: 80236: "Time"

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:47 am UTC

svenman wrote:This is getting RELATED!
If you look at frame 187, you'll see that it already was related.
taixzo wrote:80236. Is this a alternate universe computer? Intel made the 80286, which basically kicked off the PC era. Never heard of a 80236 though.
80236 is a number that we have seen before.
BFTF replay

Pfhorrest

Re: 1190: "Time" (THE CHRONICLES OF QUELOUVA ARE more DONEr-ish)

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:27 am UTC

Last (mini-)QONG of all time the next year or so at least.

This last month of cleanup is now complete, and what I set out to do at the start of the year is finished. More finished than I even expected. Hurray!
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time" (THE CHRONICLES OF QUELOUVA ARE more DONEr-ish)

Postby SBN » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:08 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Last (mini-)QONG of all time the next year or so at least.

This last month of cleanup is now complete, and what I set out to do at the start of the year is finished. More finished than I even expected. Hurray!

You did good!
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:05 pm UTC

While I can still be heretical, I wish you all a Happy New Year!

It's been, as addams points out, quite chili in my neck of the woods. Snow is falling even as I type. Lying unfinished are missives pertaining to recent heretical holidays, and the dead detritus of what were once giant creatures that roamed the earth are being oxidized for my benefit.

Happy new knee SBN (or SBN wolpy; I forgot), and happy Q Pfhorrest! Glad the moonbase is back up, and I think I'm glad eutomame has its strings in line. I also really enjoyed those musical blasts from the past.

Summit begins, heralding the last quarter of the yip. All is well.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

mrob27

1190: Time: NONE OF THE PLACES I WENT CAVE HAD TRILOBOLPIES.

Postby mrob27 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:47 pm UTC

We have seen that "80236" before, for example here (post by @ggh).
balthasar_s wrote:You can check this out in two simple steps:
First, be someone else. Then, visit Coincidence

I have (for some reason) increased the amount of diagnostics available from autemome. Here is a meme definition for example:

# By Azule: xkcd #1046
#-DESTROY TOTALLY JUST STOPPED...
template unrealpre: [RAPTOR@0.1, ][]
template unrealsuf: [SOME@0.111, FUL@0.125, NESS@0.167, ITUDE@0.2, ED@0.25, ISH@0.333, MOLP@0.5, ][]
regex eed-ed: /({^AEIOU})EED/$1ED/g
template unrealword: [unrealpre][noun, adjective, place-noart, verb-cont][unrealsuf][]
template totally_stopped: [unrealword][]"[$0/eed-ed/]" TOTALLY JUST STOPPED SEEMING LIKE A REAL WORD.[]
[totally_stopped]

If you can run autemome on your own system (requires Perl), and use the -Dm option, like this:

automeme -Dm -t '[totally_stopped]'

Then it will show the steps in the expansion of the template and any sub-templates it invokes:

1  2  0  [totally_stopped]
  2  7  0    [unrealword][]"[$0/eed-ed/]" TOTALLY JUST STOPPED SEEMING LIKE A REAL WORD.
  3 12  0      [unrealpre][noun, adjective, place-noart, verb-cont][unrealsuf]
  4 17  0        [RAPTOR@0.1, ]
  4 17  1        RAPTOR
  4 12  1      RAPTOR[noun, adjective, place-noart, verb-cont][unrealsuf]
  4 12  2      RAPTORSKITCHERTS[unrealsuf]
  5 17  0        [SOME@0.111, FUL@0.125, NESS@0.167, ITUDE@0.2, ED@0.25, ISH@0.333, MOLP@0.5, ]
  5 17  1        SOME
  5 12  3      RAPTORSKITCHERTSSOME
  5  7  1    RAPTORSKITCHERTSSOME[]"[$0/eed-ed/]" TOTALLY JUST STOPPED SEEMING LIKE A REAL WORD.
  5  7  2    RAPTORSKITCHERTSSOME[]"RAPTORSKITCHERTSSOME" TOTALLY JUST STOPPED SEEMING LIKE A REAL WORD.
  5  7  2    "RAPTORSKITCHERTSSOME" TOTALLY JUST STOPPED SEEMING LIKE A REAL WORD.
"RAPTORSKITCHERTSSOME" TOTALLY JUST STOPPED SEEMING LIKE A REAL WORD.

which might be of interest.

mrob27 Image

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:54 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Happy new knee SBN (or SBN wolpy; I forgot)

Jose

FP, of me, and the wolpies. (Middle-sized one, in particular.)

But the plan is for us to all be happy about it, as it should allow for more, and more interesting excursions than we've had of late.

Some Ways to Time

svenman

Re: 80236: "Time"

Postby svenman » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:32 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:

Oh. Right. Well, it got more related then!

Congrats on your achievement, Pfhorrest! One of these days I'll be doing a proper Qetchup, no, it will have to be a Q-blitz.

Happy new botcastle, balthasar_s!

Happy new knee, SBNFP!

Happy new heretical yip, everyone!

And the weather here today has been positively spring-like, with highs in the mid-teens Celsius or high fifties Fahrenheit. I'd send some of the warmth over to North America if I could...

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:59 pm UTC

Happy New Year, y'all!

addams wrote:Sticky Beak!?
Who knew?
You knew!
Truth be told, I didn't know. But now I do. Thanks, Addams!

In searching for a proper reply to this, I somehow ended up at a painting of Justin Bieber nude with a pancake in front of the juicy syrupy bits, and lost the will to go on.

balthasar_s wrote:Recently, I finally started using the ggh magnets in my kitchen.
Hmm. This where I realize I had just two simple New Year's resolutions for 2017 and I failed them both. Didn't make a circuit. Didn't finish mailing out the magnets. :(

Also, speaking of the New Year, it's almost new sequence Time! :) I'm kinda hoping for DEB on one hand, because it kinda makes sense from a descendy viewpoint, but also hoping for not that, because then it would be 4 years 'til the next bit of useful information.

Congrats on MSWFP's NK!

balthasar_s wrote:
Bwahaha! Somehow I'd missed that.

Good luck everyone with your weather!

ucim wrote:It's been, as addams points out, quite chili in my neck
Spoiler:
Agatha the Awesomeful

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”