1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ucim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:08 pm UTC

112358Daniel wrote:Hi. umm...
I'm going to be blitzing i'm at page 176 going mad bye! [...] Please excuse me I'm a bit shy.
Welcome Daniel! You're among OTTers, no need to be shy (but you can be as shy as you like). :) And Randalspeed on your Holy Quest! 'Tis full of perilous hazards, hazardous perils, and dangerous dangers, but you will come out a Changed And Enlightened Person, having witnessed the Wonders of the One True Comic, and having drunk of the One True Thread, experiencing Time in its own time. Beware the Safety Hats, the Heretical Hotdogs, and always remember that folloing the First Commandment you will find True Salvation.

We eagerly await your Glorious Entry into the Present, and welcome you Presently in the Present; as a schitzoblitzer you are in treeish company.

Smopu Hvala Nuvi Dict Amuah!

yappobiscuits wrote:I've been back a good long while, I could've sworn you noticed when I originally debasemented :P But I appreciate the re-welcoming anyway! *Waves*
Yes, but for a while there I thought you might have gone back downstairs... 'twas a shivery thought!

12obin wrote:been gone from these fora awhile. glad to see this is still going strong.
Welcome back! Glad to see you are still around! Pull up a branch and stay awhile!

ETA Hmmm... that makes me Pope! Tis the mip of Innocence. Remember your own innocence in a simpler time; share if you like.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

balthasar_s

Re: Young potato farm...

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:27 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Hmm, balthasar has changed his drawing style.
I wanted to comment on this but at first I didn't see the image at all.
Then I noticed that this "image" is actually a html document with some Javascript which replaces it with the actual image.

If I enable Javascript for byethost6.com AND then open the image's URL in my browser (by clicking "View image", for example) only then the image becomes visible for me.
Just enabling Javascript is not enough.

Why upload it in such a complicated way when we have attachments available?

ETA: I just noticed. bytehost6.com won't show me any page until I load it with Javascript enabled at least once. Later I can disable it and it will still work normally.
It must be some "security against bots" or something like this which makes it problematic for normal users.
If the picture is posted to the OTT, then people who just went to the OTT and didn't see bytehost6.com before will not see the image.
The browser requests the image but because it's the first thing it's trying to access it gets the Javascript gate instead.
The browser receives something that is not the image and that's why it can't show it.
And, because the browser expects an image it doesn't even execute that Javascript so it still remains unavailable.

ETA: I edited my screenshot to not show the full address. I see that it leads to something that you would like to keep secret for some time.

Spoiler:
cantseeit.png
imgscript.png
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:02 pm UTC

The image would not upload correctly and I was late to a meeting, I put that there temporarily.
I guess it didn't work, I should have
Spoiler:
Waited For It

Eta
It's fixed now.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:42 pm UTC

Hahaha! Hilarious seeing the shoe on the other foot!

ETA: For decree, my dad used to work in a coffee factory and when he'd come home from work he was perfumed with sweat and coffee. To this day, the right combination of those two scents still feels like a hug. :)
Last edited by ggh on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:15 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:53 pm UTC

That took way longer to draw than I thought it would, even though I cheated and traced the guy and most of the room from 13 and 73.probably because I kept hitting undo and redrawing things
I don't imagine I would be able to do 70 of those without the quality becoming abysmally poor.
balthasar you are doing a ton of work to entertain us, thank you.
Wait For It.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:50 pm UTC

From The Box:
Spoiler:
I hear them!
Maybe! Just, Maybe; They are Back!

The mated pair of Hawk that
nest at the edge of my Forest Clearing.

I like the sound of their whistle.
That is the sound of them talking.

I give the California Quail 'treats'
near Blue Spruce they can use as 'cover'.
Back to Computery Stuff up over my head.
Very much like The Hawk.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:08 pm UTC

Here it is,
the toolbox.

You never know when it can become useful.
Ah, you found it.
Wait For It.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:58 pm UTC

Rosetta-in-a-castle:

For decree: In the summertime when I was riverish, I would sneak dinner rolls and paperbacks out into the backyard and have readerly picnics on the freshly mown grass.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:11 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Remember your own innocence in a simpler time; share if you like.

Jose

Not really mine, but. When the kids were little, we'd sometimes respond to kid-drama with "Your Oscar is in the mail."

Our youngest, now grown, has revealed that she thought we were buying her an Oscar the Grouch.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:22 pm UTC

Blind posting to say that I am on an epic road trip across Germany with Sustainabilizer. :) He sends his regards and says he hopes to ketchup soon and join everyone in the present. I hope to do that too!

Tomorrow we will meet up with our balthafriend. He will travel from the moon base to meet us. He says that he will show us things from behind the scenes of bftf and btsa, which will be awesomeful.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:44 pm UTC

What a molpish adventure! Brings up fond memories of OTTerCon. Have fun!!

Cueball gettUNG quite the eyeful:

For decree: When I was maybe five yips old, my favorite place to hide during hide n' seek was inside the vanity under the bathroom sink. It smelled like wood glue and fresh soap.

ETA: Mods seem to have reinstituted the "Post Here And Get Banned" otherthread. Unclear as of yet whether this is truly going to be the only exhibition of Madness or not. (An otherthread in FaiD seems to suggest the mods are madnessed out this yip.) Because it is the first of April in heretical reckoning I'm inclined to take everything with a grain of salt.

However, best not to post there. I'd take gmal seriously on that threat-of-ban.

ETA2: Goodnight forever, Mrs. Mobteeseboose.
Though by the joindate I think this must be the clone and not the original with the capital T.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

addams

Postby addams » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:04 am UTC

For Decree: Looking back at My Innocence:
The day I found out The Dog was Not my Brother.
Spoiler:
I was four years old, maybe five.
I had learned to tie my shoes, all by myself.

I was quite pleased with my new Skill.

My Brother was a teenager when I was born.
He had taught me to tie my shoes.

He asked me, "Why can't Pepper tie his shoes?"
In all seriousness I answered, "Because, I'm older than Pepper."

Somehow; In my mind, Age, Size and Skill were linked.
My Brother told me, "No. Pepper is older than you are."

"Pepper will never tie his shoes, because Pepper is a Dog."
"You tie your shoes, because you are a girl."

My Brother went on to explain, "Pepper does not have shoes."
"And; Pepper is not going to get shoes and learn to tie them."

Believe it or Not;
I was Shocked!

Number One! Pepper is Older than me??
How?? I'm Bigger than he is; So, I'm older.

Number Two! Pepper and I are Not the Same...
How?? He had been with me every day of my life.

I must have been a dumb kid.
In four years, I had not noticed...

Poor Pepper did not have shoes.
Please give Sustainabilizer a *Hug* from me.
(Not while he is Driving!)

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:17 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote: In the summertime when I was riverish, I would sneak dinner rolls and paperbacks out into the backyard and have readerly picnics on the freshly mown grass.
I am allergic to grass, touching it gives me a rash that makes poison ivy seem soothing by comparison.

lmjb1964 wrote:Blind posting to say that I am on an epic road trip across Germany with Sustainabilizer. :) He sends his regards and says he hopes to ketchup soon and join everyone in the present. I hope to do that too!

Tomorrow we will meet up with our balthafriend. He will travel from the moon base to meet us. He says that he will show us things from behind the scenes of bftf and btsa, which will be awesomeful.
I'm so jealous.

BlitzGirl wrote:Mods seem to have reinstituted the "Post Here And Get Banned" otherthread. Unclear as of yet whether this is truly going to be the only exhibition of Madness or not. (An otherthread in FaiD seems to suggest the mods are madnessed out this yip.) Because it is the first of April in heretical reckoning I'm inclined to take everything with a grain of salt.

However, best not to post there. I'd take gmal seriously on that threat-of-ban.

Hopefully they only ban the account I used to post there, I created it for my sister, but she never uses it.
And there are some filters:
If you say ragequіt
You get raegquaat
But maybe that is always there
Wait For It.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:25 am UTC

In a similar vein to Twitch Plays Pokemon, a new thing is happening on reddit: /r/place. People place single pixels on a canvas; there is a ten-minute timer before you can place another. Various factions and alliances have sprung up.
Not strictly RELATED but I think you guys might find it interesting.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:29 am UTC

"raegquaat" is a new sieve. A couple others have been pointed out on the thread in FaiD, and there was a wildcard filter earlier too.

I've got the OTW Madness page up and running so anybody who catches a new filter or effect, feel free to add it.
And from this point I'll try to spoiler Madnesschat because I don't want it to interfere too much with our regularly scheduled otting. Image

FittUNG for the current Time:

Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np310

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:10 am UTC

UNGEKKOK...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by mscha.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I REJECT YOUR BLITZROCKETS AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN

-- posted by oldpixbot

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:30 am UTC

Screenshot_2017-04-01-23-28-26.png
The ban is only a week.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:13 am UTC

I think a link to Rolling in the Higgs was posted here ages ago, but I can't find it. I was going to post a belated belated reply, but no luck....
Anyways, I recently went there looking to share the link with a mate, and was amazed at all the stuff the acapellascience dude has done since then. The Aladdin/Exoplanets medley is awesomeful.
And I'm pretty sure this is RELATED.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Link

1190: "Time": NO MTA IN THE HILLS CAN ONG ME!

Postby Link » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:13 am UTC

@lmjb: ooooh awesomeful! Please post pictures if you can!
@addams: aww, that's such a sweet story. Though I'm glad wolpies are not humans: unlike most humans, most wolpies keep their childlike innocence forever. (It's a shame they get old so fast, though. :( )
@GnomeAnne: yikes, being allergic to grass sounds super unmolpish.

For decree: playing with my LEGOses all dip long without a worry in the world. I made a lab in which I had a professor in a hover chair, inspired more than a little bit by Charles Xavier, and I could always think of molpish adventures for him and his team to go on. I always got new LEGOses as gifts, and I'd build the kits at first, but I'd usually tear them down for parts to build cooler things within a few dips. I had a lot of LEGOses by the Time I lost interest!

I think they're all still in a dark corner of my mum's riverish attic now. If I were athletic enough to crawl around up there and less afraid of the spidermolps that probably inhabit it, I'd like to get them back. Then again, I don't really have the storage space for them myself. Oh well, somedip -- for now, it's comforting enough to know my mum didn't throw them out.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:30 am UTC

Ah, Legosesses. Many were the newpix my brother and I spent on the family room carpet, piecing together vehicles and forts for the minifigs.

[Madness]
Spoiler:
Thanks for that piece of experimentation, GnomeAnne! Interesting to see that the ban is just for a wip. I'm still curious to see if we get more Madness effects before the wip is done... the moddish declarations that they aren't going to do anything seem slightly suspicious.

PushUNG:

You know, I don't think I've ever really appreciated m317 before. It's as if the Sandcastle is a vehicle in which Megan perches, powered by Cueball's brute strength.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

112358Daniel

Postby 112358Daniel » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:51 am UTC

I figured out what happened last time! I checked the URL of one of the posts, and must have been a bug because that was how I saw the different timeline. I tried again, and got a 404i error message. I'm gonna try to modify the URL. I'll post again when I find a combination that works. Wish me luck!

Edit: I read Legosesses as Legolasses.
Fibonacci's Oracle of Unrelenting Insanity
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Quotes

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:17 am UTC

I sure do hope the First Cleric doesn't eat the cassette that 112358Daniel is on.

ETA: Hey Daniel, how about the third panel of this as your avatar?
Spoiler:
Someone would have to hat it though.
Agatha the Awesomeful

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:40 am UTC

The river is runnUNG away:

Image Schizoblitz Report 5 .Image

Newpage 45/2576

Spoiler:
The anxiety concerning Time's **d when Othercomic 1191 gets posted subsides rather rapidly when The Past arrives and still the newpix keep coming. This seems to be a rather optimistic point in the thread, although the upcoming April Fool's Dip provides a new sense of impending doom to replace that of the now-past 1191. The number of pastpix has grown so seaish that manvandmaan enacts the first splitting of the OTC into periods.

A huge number of new posters are joining in, and it would be interesting to guess how many of them found the fora because explainxkcd couldn't handle the mass of traffic. The mustardly endish state of their servers is mentioned on multiple occasions. It seems very likely that this influx of explainxkcd regulars is responsible for the fairly quick adoption of the names "Megan" and "Cueball" for Time's characters, as those names are customary over on that othersite. Some protoOTTers insist on calling them "the boy," "the girl," "the bald guy," etc. but these descriptions are inconsistent and stand little chance against the othersite nomenclature.

I passed the first "spoiler" instance of the OTC in the thread, on NP 41. It actually was an outright shock after being so engrossed in the sandcastlepix in the rest of these pastpages. The epilogue frames are just so different from the beginning of Time. They're clearly a different setting, with lush foliage, and complex construction of some kind (the raftcastle), but still obviously RELATED to the beginning of the story because the Last Sandcastle still stands at the left side of the image.

(The current state of the 1190 page with its constant reloadings is unmolpish. Stop refreshing, there's nothing new! Image )

ctdonath wrote:As for the XKCD audience coming up with many meanings, well, it's Randall's version of 4'33".

As Time has gone on beyond Time, I've grown very fond of this parallel. As the audience becomes the performance of 4'33", the OTT has become a performance of Waiting for it. The posts on the thread are the unintentional sounds filling the gaps in the framework of newpix, from the initial shortpix Waits to the longer spans that continued for mips, and now past The End they continue to fill the largest void yet. And I'm certain this observation has been made several Times now (including on NP 44 which I just blitzed) but redundancy is molpish and humanity has Loopist tendencies.

riverssong wrote:This is what it's like to be part of History.

Some excitement, some confusion, a whole lot of theorizing, and an incredible amount of boredom.

We are smack dab in the middle of a metaphor for ourselves.

THIS IS SO COOOOOOL.

The Past is pretty cool! Aday ed moob, aday ed moob...
No, wait, that would mean I'm blitzing backwards...

Eliram wrote:I'm pretty sure that this comic will cause someone to finally build a time machine just to skip ahead and see how this one ends, then come back to tell us. With a spoiler alert, of course.

Weirdly enough, this has somewhat come to pass on the OTT. I've read by a few spoiler alerts edited in among the pastpages already, missives from the far future. When GLR invented Time, we invented Time travel. The OTT itself is the time machine.

QuOTTations

I've got a feeling that the last slide will be an obvious ending (like THE END). Just a thought.
-dalcde, NP 30

Why do I feel empathy for some black pixels?
-Mr Moriaty, NP 35

Crenellate all the things!
-fixer, NP 39

Redundant:
Spoiler:

bar005.png
bar005.png (257 Bytes) Viewed 9373 times

redundant291.png
Edit to number schizoblitzreport.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Mon May 01, 2017 10:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:12 pm UTC

112358Daniel wrote:I figured out what happened last time! I checked the URL of one of the posts, and must have been a bug because that was how I saw the different timeline. I tried again, and got a 404i error message. I'm gonna try to modify the URL. I'll post again when I find a combination that works. Wish me luck!

That makes no sense, how can clicking a link drop you into a new timeline? It may have splintered off sometime previously and the rift is only just getting getting wide enough to be noticeable. Try going through the entire fora and counting all the posts, then add the number to the p=####### part of the url. If that doesn't work I don't know what else to try. Best of luck.
Edit: I read Legosesses as Legolasses.

Like this?Image
REDUNDANT
Spoiler:
um, guys... it's Lego Bricks, not "Legos"[/bait]
History.JPG
Wait For It.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:13 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The Past is pretty cool! Aday ed moob, aday ed moob...

That sounds like a Latin chant! (Or at least Pig Latin.)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

GnomeAnne

Re: double posts and mustardy image files

Postby GnomeAnne » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:29 pm UTC

I am in the process of moving to a new home and don't have internet. I'm posting from my phone, which, it turns out, adds lots of mustard to my posts. Hence the image problems, and I would have sworn that post did not go through the first Time, it returned an error that said you cannot access this file. Maybe I'll make use of an internet cafe for future posting.
Wait For It.

112358Daniel

Postby 112358Daniel » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:03 pm UTC

I've been having no luck, and I can't find who posted it. The name was OLR or something.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:09 pm UTC

Our Lord Randall?

taixzo wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:The Past is pretty cool! Aday ed moob, aday ed moob...

That sounds like a Latin chant! (Or at least Pig Latin.)

Ni ni ni ni ni chupapig aday ed moob...

Rosetta-in-a-castle looks through her rock collection:

Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

112358Daniel

Postby 112358Daniel » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:18 pm UTC

Is that someone on the wiki?

Edit: Kind of pretentious.

mrob27

1190: Time: NINJA LIKE A QUACKMOLPY, THWAP LIKE A TIMEODY

Postby mrob27 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:56 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Not really mine, but. When the kids were little, we'd sometimes respond to kid-drama with "Your Oscar is in the mail."
  Our youngest, now grown, has revealed that she thought we were buying her an Oscar the Grouch.

Sesame Street and Henson/Muppets released several puppet toys over the yips, and Oscar was my favourite. I got one as a gift, (not for being overly dramatic) at the age when Sesame Street was still a big thing for me and the Muppet Show did not yet exist. There were two really cool things about the Oscar puppet. In addition to using one hand to operate Oscar's head and mouth, the arms were cleverly rigged to a string you could pull with your other hand. If you were extra clever you could add cardboard and additional string to make the arms independently movable. And you never had to take him out of the box, which was a self-contained set piece. The front was Oscar's trash can, and the sides and back were the scenery behind him on the show (and of course most of the front/top was open and there was an opening in the bottom).

BlitzGirl wrote:Goodnight forever, Mrs. Mobteeseboose […]

Oh hey, it's great that someone (apparently @GnomeAnne?) made a new Mobteeseboose account just to keep that thing going (which ended right around when I delurked, which makes it a bit nostalgic)

taixzo wrote:In a similar vein to Twitch Plays Pokemon, a new thing is happening on reddit: /r/place. People place single pixels on a canvas; there is a ten-minute timer before you can place another. Various factions and alliances have sprung up. Not strictly RELATED but I think you guys might find it interesting.

They should sell T-shirts: "I waited one-sixth of an hour to darken one pixel."

GnomeAnne wrote:
I read Legosesses as Legolasses.
Like this?Image

Aye:
Spoiler:
NP2576 LEGOladdies.png
LEGOladdies
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

GnomeAnne

Re: double posts and mustardy image files

Postby GnomeAnne » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:37 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Oh noooo
Double post...

But it looks like one if them has been removed now.

Was the original MobTeeseboose a bot?
ttscp wrote:Perhaps MobTeeseboose is not lurking Time, but some other xkcd forum. It may be the newpix bot of that other forum, except that it doesn't post, it just scrapes information for some Sciscitor like graphs.
Did anyone ever find out where it was from?
Or is it still a mystery after all this Time?

ETA:
Madness
Spoiler:
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ wrote:
GnomeAnne wrote:
Fantastic Idea wrote:that's it. that's all you're getting.

What you say: ragequіt
What you get: raegquaat

that's been there for literally years.
Huh, so it has, since 2013 at least.

Oh, look, someone already updated the wiki.
Wait For It.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:09 pm UTC

I think we were pretty sure MobTeeseboose V1 was indeed a bot. Don't think it was ever confirmed, though (and I'm not sure how we would confirm that). The final sighting of MobTeeseboose noted in the OTT was by Neil on NP 1505 (2013-09-27 in heretical reckoning):

Neil_Boekend wrote:Hello all! It's crowded in here!

Users browsing this forum: Ainlina, bixzwgx37, BlitzGirl, bzxzwrs28, Darkhand, erqilinba9, Eternal Density, Great Justice, krispharper, lingbaer41, MobTeeseboose, Neil_Boekend, rcrowell, TheMinim, waveney and 42 guests

Good night, Mrs. MobTeeseboose, wherever you are!

112358Daniel wrote:Is that someone on the wiki?

Nope, just what I thought the acronym could stand for considering the previously existing "GLR."

Madness:
Spoiler:
Interesting! I guess we never had occasion to discover that sieve on the OTC because ragequitting is pretty much the polar opposite of Timewaiting. (Or Timekeeping.) Added to the "previously existing" list on the wiki; always nice to discover one like that which has been around for a while.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:57 pm UTC

Hi BlitzGirl!

I've been a little distracted of late (possibly related to Weight Manipulation: Far away), but still lurking. Thanks for dropping by and remembering my birtdip, Yappo, and happy Timiversary all!
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

WHY DIDN'T I GO TO SUCH GREAT LENGTHS TO

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:20 pm UTC

This recently revealed new Magic the Gathering card seems relevant to our interests:
Spoiler:

HES wrote:Weight Manipulation: Far away)

Hi HES! I understood that reference!

It's great to hear of OTTers meeting with OTTers :D

I had quite a number of LEGO when I was young. StormAngel and I collected quite a lot of Ice Planet sets. We even saved up for the base:
Spoiler:

We also had quite a lot of K'nex, including the Ball Factory. I can't find 'the exact one we had: I can find some similar but ours lifted the balls with an air blower that blows the balls upwards through a clear plastic tube. But the main parts of it did look like this, minus the redudakitties:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tIqQ5UNWTI

(Note: by 'had' I mean all these toys are still in our house somewhere.)
Back to LEGOings, we also have some of the original Bionicle toys, including the cylinders they came in.

I particularly remember when I was eleven, when someone at school said a phrase I thought was amusing, I would repeat it at length, far past the point of it being annoying. This turned out to be very good practice for the important internet phenomenon of 'memes'.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:43 pm UTC

Stories about a more innocent Time...
I remember the first Time I ate any pepper hotter than a jalapeno. It was earlier this afternoon. I was told it was a ghost pepper before I ate it, but found out afterwards that it was a crossbreed between a Reaper and a Trinidad scorpion...
I'll not be doing that again.

When I was nine or ten I got a nearly complete set of scanlens/topps star wars trading cards from the original trilogy from my grandmother. My father had started the collection as a kid, and my uncle, his younger brother, finished it. My siblings and I had a blanket with streets on it, much like this
Spoiler:
7096311da0ecc9cc470eef1dae82e1c8.jpg
But some streets had bridges over others, and there was only just enough room for one of the cards in the spaces between the streets.
We had never watched the films, and never heard of m:tg or any game similar to what we made up.
We designated some of the cards as vehicles, some as bases, and others as characters or weapons, and went to war against each other. There was a quote or description on each one that we interpreted creatively to assign actions and attributes, I remember cloud city, the death stars, and the ion cannon being coveted pieces for setting up a base, with Degobah being the worst planet to put a base on. Darth Vader was naturally the most powerful character due to his menacing appearance, and in addition, had more action cards than any other. The rules got more and more complex as time went on, until the blanket was used for a backyard picnic in the rain and someone dried it by draping it over a bare lamp bulb.
Wait For It.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np333

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:10 am UTC

OVERSWUNG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:INSTRUCTIONS UNCLEAR; RAPTORCAT STUCK IN BLINDPOST.

-- posted by oldpixbot

addams

Re: 1190: "Time": NO MTA IN THE HILLS CAN ONG ME!

Postby addams » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:55 am UTC

Link wrote:
Spoiler:
@lmjb: ooooh awesomeful! Please post pictures if you can!
@addams: aww, that's such a sweet story. Though I'm glad wolpies are not humans: unlike most humans, most wolpies keep their childlike innocence forever. (It's a shame they get old so fast, though. :( )
@GnomeAnne: yikes, being allergic to grass sounds super unmolpish.

For decree: playing with my LEGOses all dip long without a worry in the world. I made a lab in which I had a professor in a hover chair, inspired more than a little bit by Charles Xavier, and I could always think of molpish adventures for him and his team to go on. I always got new LEGOses as gifts, and I'd build the kits at first, but I'd usually tear them down for parts to build cooler things within a few dips. I had a lot of LEGOses by the Time I lost interest!
I think they're all still in a dark corner of my mum's riverish attic now. If I were athletic enough to crawl around up there and less afraid of the spidermolps that probably inhabit it, I'd like to get them back. Then again, I don't really have the storage space for them myself. Oh well, somedip -- for now, it's comforting enough to know my mum didn't throw them out.
oh...That is sweet, too.
One of these days there may be Little Links.
Then, you will be so very Brave.

You will go into that Attic. You might be alone. You may have a Treasured Friend or Two or More with you.
You will go into a quiet place with dust, arachnids and many boxes of the unknown and the long forgotten.

It will require Steadfast Courage and Loyalty to Mission and Adventure.
There you willl find the LEGOses.

The Reward for your Courage will be rediscovery and sharing of your Innocence.
You will share it with Little Links. In the sharing something New will be created.

...I have quite the imagination;
Don't I?
Spoiler:
Your story made my story a Hope and a Dream for me, for you.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:39 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
In the meantime, have an Expando, watchful and immortal guardian of the Beanish city, who only demands the occasional sacrifice:

Um, is the face in the background intentional? (Try looking at a distance.)

LEGO+s, I have something to say about those. But not now.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:21 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Um, is the face in the background intentional?

It seems very Guy Fawkeseqsue.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

BlitzGirl

Goat!

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:02 am UTC

Ha! Nope, entirely unintentional. :)

I like the little quotelinky thing (↫) in your post, Aluisio. Is that done via script, or manually?
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”