1889: "xkcd Phone 6"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Unclevertitle

1889: "xkcd Phone 6"

Postby Unclevertitle » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:36 pm UTC

Title Text: We understand your privacy concerns; be assured that our phones will never store or transmit images of your face.

Finally, a phone that addresses the whole annoying eye contact thing.
Hey, why is there this dark spot in the center of every video I watch on my phone?

Seriously though, I do long for a day when there's some kind of temporarily transparent section of the screen we can hide the front facing camera behind so that we can finally address that eye contact problem. It's just so weird seeing someone always looking off the the side when talking to you and really awkward being kind and addressing the camera directly instead of the screen.

And then something that displays as well as the rest of the screen in other situations.

orthogon

Re: 1889: "xkcd Phone 6"

Postby orthogon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:54 pm UTC

Unclevertitle wrote:Seriously though, I do long for a day when there's some kind of temporarily transparent section of the screen we can hide the front facing camera behind so that we can finally address that eye contact problem. It's just so weird seeing someone always looking off the the side when talking to you and really awkward being kind and addressing the camera directly instead of the screen.

The solution is a half-silvered mirror at 45 degrees like on a teleprompter. Actually that's almost silly enough to feature on the xkcd phone 7...
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:55 pm UTC

Micromechanical Devices on the camera behind the screen, linked to facial recognition of the image should position the outgoing camera sufficiently to create permanent eye-contact as it(/they?) lurks behind the transparent eye(s?) of the image of the other user.

Add further facial recognition on the outgoing image, either to "distort to centre" or else anti-distort the image so it doesn't looks like it is following you, when you move your head away from the camera view, and the interaction should be complete!

BrianK

Postby BrianK » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:13 pm UTC

You could put one camera in each corner of the screen and synthesize a Picasso-esque flat image from the four perspectives.

Great, now I feel a need to take 4 selfies and stitch them together with Panorama Factory. Sigh.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:47 pm UTC

Or just put a bright red LED next to the camera lens. Everyone will stare at that. (only partly kidding -- look at the "hot camera" light on studio TV camera rigs)
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:12 pm UTC

The flu vaccination ought to be do-able. After all, viruses are more-or-less just strings of DNA, and DNA strings are just bit (tidbit?) sequences. Ideally, you need a way of downloading these sequences directly to the human immune system, but in the meantime the phone could synthesise strands of DNA and inject them, or something. (I'll leave the pesky details to the biochemists). This would also have the advantage that the selection of the flu strains could be left until later in the year, whereas currently the strains have to be selected many months before the flu season to allow time for manufacture of the vaccines. In fact, updates could be released continually during the season, just like for computer viruses. The influenza genome only seems to be around 12kbp, i.e. about 3kB, so it wouldn't even trouble your mobile data cap.

Yu_p

Postby Yu_p » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:13 pm UTC

I liked the "screen goes past the edge" part the most.

Given my experience with the Galaxy S7, where whenever I use it outside the bumper I keep acidentially triggering border-tap actions in apps while typing, I have come to seriously doubt that full-width displays make sense. Same with the thin designs. Without a bumper the phone is unconfortably thin, such that it is hard to hold. The slippery glass-cover didn't help either; At the end a bumper was unavoidable, but it interferes somewhat with edge-swipe gestures (better though than triggering them with the palm of my hand, when the edge of the phone digs into it while typing with the thumb). Come to think of it, I can't really remember what my phone actually looks like.

I'm happy iPad's don't have those huge borders of the first generation anymore though. The iPad mini (and later the iPad Air series) did that part really right. Also the finger-print reader; The circular shape and relatively large area result in a far better recognition rate than on my Phone. (Also, if it mis-detects the finger 3 times, it asks for a password, instead of allowing me to retry until the device is locked on a countdown, as it is implemented on my phone...).

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:25 pm UTC

And the headphone jack is in the box back home on my desk....

gd1

Postby gd1 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:15 pm UTC

So it's safe only from t>=6 months to t<=8 months and then at t>8 months but less than 10 months it's unsafe, it's safe at exactly t=10 months but not t of 10 months plus any amount of time greater than 0 (even 10 months and 1 second for example)? Safe again from t>=18 months and t<=3 years, and t>=12 years?

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:35 am UTC

Yup. As long as you keep it in water for at least a few moments in every half hour, though for any amount of time you like.

Putting that dishwasher on an eternal cycle may be the answer!

CharonPDX

Postby CharonPDX » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:17 am UTC

will never store or transmit images of your face

Can we please get this added to *ALL* phones? With no ability to disable it?

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:48 am UTC

CharonPDX wrote:

this is why I wear a mask.
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Quercus wrote:Agreed, but "constitutional fetishism" doesn't have that lovely alliteration between fetishism, first and fucking
rath358 wrote:I have been replaced D:

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:50 am UTC

Dishwasher safe isn't that far fetched of a feature; how hot do those things get? We've already got ones that are waterproof.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:15 am UTC

Weeks wrote:
CharonPDX wrote:

This is why I talk out of my ass.

Groundsplitter

Postby Groundsplitter » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:30 am UTC

our phones will never store or transmit images of your face.

This promise/limitation is utterly fascinating.
Apart from making the centered front camera pointless, I also have to wonder how the phone will know when its camera is even seeing your face when it can't store it for identification purposes in the first place. Is it just your face that it won't store or transmit, or anyone's?
If my girlfriend borrows my phone, can it store or transmit her face? Can she use my phone to take a photo of me when I'm not using it? But then the phone would have to know that it's me somehow, and we've already established that it never stores my face. Unless it blocks all attempts to store or transmit any faces, in which case you can't take a photo of anyone.

BlueSloth

Postby BlueSloth » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:08 am UTC

Groundsplitter wrote:
our phones will never store or transmit images of your face.

This promise/limitation is utterly fascinating.
Apart from making the centered front camera pointless, I also have to wonder how the phone will know when its camera is even seeing your face when it can't store it for identification purposes in the first place. Is it just your face that it won't store or transmit, or anyone's?
If my girlfriend borrows my phone, can it store or transmit her face? Can she use my phone to take a photo of me when I'm not using it? But then the phone would have to know that it's me somehow, and we've already established that it never stores my face. Unless it blocks all attempts to store or transmit any faces, in which case you can't take a photo of anyone.

I guess it must store a hash of your face. Hopefully it uses a secure hash function and salts the hash to stave off rainbow table attacks.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:19 am UTC

Weeks wrote:
CharonPDX wrote:

No intelligence agency cared who you were until you put on the mask.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:23 am UTC

BlueSloth wrote:Hopefully it uses a secure hash function and salts the hash to stave off rainbow table attacks.

So long as you try not to take a picture of this...
Spoiler:

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:19 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
BlueSloth wrote:Hopefully it uses a secure hash function and salts the hash to stave off rainbow table attacks.

So long as you try not to take a picture of this...
Spoiler:

As a fellow Brit of a certain age, don't you mean this?
Spoiler:

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:00 pm UTC

I certainly didn't watch such smut, on weekday dinnertimes, at ten past twelve, for a couple of decades...

:P

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:49 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
Weeks wrote:
CharonPDX wrote:

No intelligence agency cared who you were until you put on the mask.
If they took off that mask, would I die?
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Quercus wrote:Agreed, but "constitutional fetishism" doesn't have that lovely alliteration between fetishism, first and fucking
rath358 wrote:I have been replaced D:

Darkhand

Postby Darkhand » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:41 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Unclevertitle wrote:Seriously though, I do long for a day when there's some kind of temporarily transparent section of the screen we can hide the front facing camera behind so that we can finally address that eye contact problem. It's just so weird seeing someone always looking off the the side when talking to you and really awkward being kind and addressing the camera directly instead of the screen.

The solution is a half-silvered mirror at 45 degrees like on a teleprompter. Actually that's almost silly enough to feature on the xkcd phone 7...

With the iPhone X showing off all this real-time 3D image manipulation we can do on a phone now, why not use it to change the gaze direction of the user's eyes? Just make it look like you're looking into the camera. Make it one of the options like the masks they showcased. Boom, solved, no mirrors or transparent displays needed.

You heard it here first, for proof that some iPhone dev stole the idea from me originally.

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:15 pm UTC

The next version will have the Shroud of Turin-style facial unlock replaced by Goats Head Soup-style facial unlock.

The (oxymoronic) burns clean coal feature will be dropped because of objections by Black Lungs Matter.

Eternal Density

Re: 1889: "Pepsi"

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:46 am UTC

I think this is my favourite of these yet.
Especially the screen, CPU, 4k pixels, wireless port, pore cleaning (dank xkcd reference!) and out of water survivability!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:26 pm UTC

the Burns Clean Coal feature has me wondering about the possibility of having a phone/mobile device powered by burning coal. Probably not practical due to all of the mechanics and physics of turning the heat energy produced by the coal into electrical energy. But, assuming you had all of that figured out, what kind of "battery" life could you get out of a little disk of coal that you can fit through the "wireless" charging port (ashes ejected prior to adding a new coal disk "battery")?
(Interestingly he included both Burns Clean Coal and Solar-Heated as either one should be sufficient for all of your phone-heating needs (besides that the CPU usually does a pretty good job of this by itself, though most of the time with modern phones/CPUs you aren't doing anything CPU-intensive enough to notice, which may be why he added the Solar-Heating?))

High Thread Count CPU: ~ 400 threads for that extra softness (which helps especially when you drop the phone).

3-G Acceleration - I wonder how that works? is it that it's been tested to work at up to 3 Gs? Does it start spinning rapidly when using certain (older) networks? Does it fall faster than expected when dropped?

HES

Postby HES » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:36 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:the Burns Clean Coal feature has me wondering about the possibility of having a phone/mobile device powered by burning coal.

I mean, my phone was effectively powered by petrol for three weeks on my last road trip.
He/Him/His Image

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:54 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:the Burns Clean Coal feature has me wondering about the possibility of having a phone/mobile device powered by burning coal. Probably not practical due to all of the mechanics and physics of turning the heat energy produced by the coal into electrical energy.

That's kind of the problem that a fuel cell aims to solve. You try to produce electricity directly from the chemical oxidation reaction, rather than by making heat as an intermediate step. I can never figure out how they work and all explanations sound like magic. There's always something like "the electrolyte is a substance specifically designed so ions can pass through it, but the electrons cannot". (To be honest the same is true of explanations of how batteries work).

I'm not sure anyone's seriously considered making coal fuel cells, though. Carbon (i.e. coal) fuel cells are apparently a thing.

typo

Postby typo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:57 pm UTC

HES wrote:
airdrik wrote:the Burns Clean Coal feature has me wondering about the possibility of having a phone/mobile device powered by burning coal.

I mean, my phone was effectively powered by petrol for three weeks on my last road trip.

There's a steam tourist train near here (South Simcoe Railway) and the conductor and engineer communicate using steam-powered two-way hand-held radios. There's a steam turbine on the locomotive that drives a dynamo to power lights and such; they charge the radio batteries from that. Very cool.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:57 pm UTC

typo wrote:
HES wrote:

There's a steam tourist train near here (South Simcoe Railway) and the conductor and engineer communicate using steam-powered two-way hand-held radios. There's a steam turbine on the locomotive that drives a dynamo to power lights and such; they charge the radio batteries from that. Very cool.

Most steam locomotives were equipped with an onboard generator to power all sorts of lights on the locomotive after electric lighting became bright and reliable enough to outperform acetylene lamps. What I find odd is that (as far as I know) the general view on locomotive headlights until a couple decades ago was that their purpose is making the locomotive visible from a distance. The reasoning was that there's no use seeing ahead since the train is unable to stop in front of any obstruction by the time it could be seen even in broad daylight.
"write something, not just anything, that says something about something"
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:27 pm UTC

Today I learned (on dutch trains) the lights are mostly for signalling, rather than for seeing or for being seen. Well, they (notably the third headlight) are a bit for 'being seen', so that at a crossing the train driver can distinguish an oncoming train (hopefully on the other track) from a random car (that shouldn't be on either track).

svenman

Postby svenman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:17 am UTC

Flumble wrote:Today I learned (on dutch trains) the lights are mostly for signalling, rather than for seeing or for being seen. Well, they (notably the third headlight) are a bit for 'being seen', so that at a crossing the train driver can distinguish an oncoming train (hopefully on the other track) from a random car (that shouldn't be on either track).

Signals are there to be seen, though (unless they're acoustic, but that's not the kind we are talking about here).

Unless you're making the point that the front and rear signals are not so much there to help you see the train but rather that once you've noticed the train, they're there to help you identify the direction of travel, when it isn't clear from the train's movement itself. But I disagree: at least in the dark, they are definitely also meant to make you notice that there is a train in the first place.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:30 am UTC

I just learned that there was some kind of Apple event last week, which I figure is what prompted this comic.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”