1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:30 pm UTC

555:
One year ago when I was new at my FFS I needed something to simulate the output of a sensor. I used a 555.

mrob27 wrote:kxa
But isn't "kxa" already an abbreviation or something like this?
If you use the name "kxa" on Coincidence it will abbreviate it to "K".
But if you use "KXA", then the abbreviation is also "KXA".
This is the code responsible for this:

Code: Select all

sub abbrname {
  (my $name) = @_;
  my $abbr;

if($name !~ /^[A-Za-z]+$/) {
    return '?';
  }

$abbr = uc(substr($name,0,1));
  $name = substr($name,1);
  while($name =~ m/([A-Z])/g) {
    $abbr = $abbr.$1;
  }
  return $abbr;
}

mrob27 wrote:I guess it would be kind of like the Sylladex in Homestuck.
That's what I suspected.
You will notice that the otherothercomic similarities of BSTA are not extended to epsilonish inventory systems.
The question now is: Is the Object Catalogue a Baltidex or are they different things?

Where does the Catalogue of Objects come from?
I once drew some comic in which there was an Object Catalogue.
Later, I made a real version and brought it to school.
Those years I liked to surprise my friends from school by making real live versions of my earlier drawings.
My avatar is one example of this.

So what was the Object Catalogue supposed to be and do (in this comic)?
It was a thing you could use for ordering objects.
Don't ask where the objects were ordered from. It makes no sense.
You just order an object and then you have it.
The only porblem is: How to do this?
Unfortunately, there is no manual, no explanation available.
And how do you get an Object Catalogue?
You order if from an Object Catalogue, of course.

The Object Catalogue is one of the reality-affecting-mechanism ideas from before "bicycles on the moon" and the moon base.
(Those ideas come from December 2010. The object generator is from October or November)

Another example was a world computer. A device for simulating a universe. Related: it used a tape interface.
In one comic a world computer was located inside the world it was simulating.
A guy found it and tried to move the tape forward to get in the future.
He accidentally reached the end of world.
Luckily, the auto-reverse mechanism activated and moved the tape back to the original position.
He achieved nothing.

Another another example from another another comic:
There was a blackboard with an OS and a command interpreter.
It would execute whatever was written on it.
Someone (the guy that FTH (or rather his username) was named after) wrote some random characters and accidentally summoned a monster...

So I told that "bicycles on the moon" is an idea from 2010. So what name did I use for my comics and stuff before 2010?
"Baltixy"
Where does this name come from?
When I was in that school (2007-2010) there was a guy in my class. We called him "Tadzik"
He started drawing some comics.
They had a very simple drawing style and a weird sense of humor.
They became called "Tadzixy" - from the words "Tadzik" (his nickname) and "komiksy" (comics).
This gave me an inspiration to draw my ideas.
I also started drawing.
By analogy people called them "Baltixy". The name got stuck.
By the end of school he stopped drawing the comics.
I didn't.

During those years I made some comics, some drawings, some objects. The films came later (the first is from summer 2010 - after finishing that school). I also made this. What is it?
There was this computer game "Super Tux".
During the presidential elections someone made a manip of it, "Super Tusk". He replaced the graphics so that now instead of the penguin you were playing Donald Tusk.
I found out about this game and thought that I can also manip it. I replaced the graphics of "Super Tusk" with b/w scans from my earliest comics.

There was a very small group of people who liked the comics. Most of the others didn't understand the style and the everything.
Now when I look back at those comics I see that most of them are not good at all.
But some of them have good ideas that could be made into nice things if used correctly.

So why did I now start writing about the early years of doing things?
No idea.

I like trains.
How could I allow such an evolution of events that every guy with a bike is assumed to be me...? :D

ggh wrote:Was it a new caption sign?
That would be a very relevant name day present.
Do people consider when a name day is when they choose a name for their babies?
Some probably do. Most don't (I think).

mrob27 wrote:Image
What I see
So, that's what you see.
Is it also what you get?

ETA: I'm not prepared to be pope today!
Nevermind.
The pope asks if you have an idea how to solve the mystery:
How to retrieve the objects?
BFTF replay.
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023. # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here is why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't count Image
This text was autogenerated:

ggh

Re: 1190: Time: REMAIN CH**RPING AND GOAT WOWTREES

Postby ggh » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:43 pm UTC

I've been enjoying the dunejumpish DDs on the last NP. :)

mrob27 wrote:
Insert RTC into clockpocket

You insert the RTC into your clockpocket.

BIG SUCCESS!

Congratulations, you successfully completed your first task as the new guy. He would be so proud of you (if he wasn't busy being you right now).

What next?

BBcode lovingly left unconverted by makepost

TUNO = 33 hours.

@ggh: Ah, the noble 741! (Op amp). I made a bunch of stuff with op-amps. Including bandpass filters whose band was controlled by an input waveform whose frequency was directly proportional to the frequency you wanted to have at the center of the passband. (My design used sample and hold modules, and op-amps to effectively perform differentiation and integration in discrete steps. But it didn't use 741's, I had to use the high-impedence FET-input op-amps.)
Ooh, that sounds really treeish! I'm pretty sure my bandpasses were just your basic resistor-and-capacitors versions.

Hey, I just had a thought, if the new guy is me, maybe he can make a circuit or two while he's here. First, it would be great if he could clean up this place: his desk looks pretty tidy to me.

300, Gingercat! Have some more cake unless you don't.
Spoiler:

balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:Sooo... the next-ONG title (nOt?) only appears after someone has viewed the current ONG?
Almost the correct answer.
Do you remember the bftf timer colors and what they meant?
Also, it has its own countdown,
There is only one countdown. Only that the ong requires it to go all the way to 0 and the nextitle doesn't. It only needs a part of this.
Okay, so the countdown part appears to need to go two thirds, or something close to that (on this last one, there was no nextitle with 10:54 to go and it had appeared by 10:31) but I'm still not understanding the other condition. I thought the colour in BFTF just reflected whether it had been seen. And although having the nextitle not appear if no one was looking at it would be molpishly redundant, I doubt that's the algorithm in this case.

I'm missing something here.
On NP 2033, balthasar_s wrote:It should ONG only if at least one person sees the frame.
How to do this?
I need one more state. It's now:
Spoiler:
0 - not started
1 - ONGoing, not seen yet
2 - ONGoing and seen.
It will ONG only if state >1.

Downloading ongframe.png with f equal to the last frame number (or without f) will change the value from 1 to 2.

Ok, it's ready.

Wait for it.

Sustainabilizer has a good idea.
The ONGbot can copy the frames from a hidden place to an accessible directory.
Then I can use static frames without spoilers.

I do this.

Now the static frame is under /ongoing/bftf-xxxx.png (xxxx is a 4-digit frame number)
ongoing.png doesn't redirect to ongframe.png anymore but directly to the static frame.
Because of this ongoing.png will also accept the f parameter and can change the state from 1 to 2.
ongframe.png, for compatibility, will do the same.
Actually the two URLs launch exactly the same CGI program.

Also, the viewer. shows the static frame now.
But that's a problem.

If the viewer shows the static frame, how can I know if the latest frame was downloaded.
Of course the viewer is still dynamic and it could do this.
But that's wrong.
The frame, not the page should trigger the change.

I can do a trick.
If you view the last frame on the viewer, and it wasn't downloaded yet (state=1), the viewer will show you the dynamic ongoing.png , otherwise it will show you the static frame.

After implementing it, the botcastle is much less loaded and everything still works.

Then, I have another idea.
It should be visible in the viewer if the last frame was seen or not.
How to do it?
How to do it without unnecessary text?

The timer!
The colors!

I can make the timer change colors.
it will be blue if state < 2 and brown otherwise.

I'm going to think about the decree in the shower.

ETASP: Okay, so it seems like the easiest way to get something from Catalogue would be to use a Time/Space Machine to go back to where the illustrator had the object in question in order to draw it, and take it right then and there. There's a few problems with this approach though:

You must take the object after the illustration is made, or it won't end up in the catalogue.
    You might have trouble locating this event in Time/space.
    You might not have a Time machine.
It's hard to tell if you will ever have a Time machine, and if you someday do, it might also help you solve the second issue, so you shouldn't despair if you don't have one right now.

But what about that first issue? What if you deliberately did it wrong?
The object would disappear from the Catalogue. Maybe you could use this...

If you could make the item disappear from the Catalogue, maybe it would be because you took it before its illustration was accomplished. This too has some difficulties:

Perhaps the item will have vanished because someone else took it. Then you won't have it.
    However you make the listing disappear, that's how it will have disappeared, not because of Time shenanigans.
For you to take the object from that point in Time, somehow the listing needs to have disappeared without you doing it some other way.

Fortunately, this is easy:
Take an item that's already not in the Catalogue. Then it couldn't have disappeared any other way.

How will you know that it wasn't taken by someone else? Because you are the one who remembers it was in there .

So, if you can remember that the item was in the Catalogue, but it isn't, you've got it!
(Also, you will someday Time travel.)

You object: what if you want something that is in the Catalogue? That was the question, after all.
The catalogue is monochrome, no? The one pictured is the green one, but you remember when it was the blue one.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

instinctively, of course. Now, Outsiders and Revealers the Recent will occasionally demand that you show them this Temporal spaaace of yours, apparently unaware that ONGs, whose existence nomolpy in their right mind would question, also move exclusively in Temporal spaaace, their ONGings and UNGings fully dependent on Temporality. Though it is easier not to believe in ONGs than in dragons: ONGs, at least taken singly, won't try to nerdsnipe the entire thread.
  A colleague of Mrorl, one Tanleemanyub Tchan, was the first to notice a dragon, detecting the retro-poping of a goat post, the probability of which was measured -- OTTishly -- in units of molpon per dracometer, and he even managed to agitate xim, for which he was nearly boiled in chocolate. Tchan was celebrated in the growing field of dracomolpology; but of what concern was this to the common OTTers, who were ever-increasingly confused by dragons filling the Thread with xeir puzzles, 3-D renderings, cryptic stories, and calls to Inquisition by Chocolate, and at Times even demanding tribute in the form of a herd of goats and/or a truckload of virgins? What did it concern the OTTers that Mrorl's dragons, retroparadoxical hence metatemporal, were behaving exactly according to theory though contrary to all posting customs, or that his theory could predict the inscrutability of xeir posts that intruigued and yet confused them? It is not surprising then that the OTT in general, instead of appreciating the value of Mrorl's decological insights, held it much against him. A group of OTTers thoroughly experienced in matters of forum etiquette waylaid the famous bOTTifactor and gave him a thorough pelting. Not that this deterred him and his friend Balthacarius from further experimentation, which showed that the extent of a dragon's pastposting depends mainly on xes whim, though also on xes clarity of rendering, and that the only sure cause of a dragon's permanent basementing would be for its pixelation to be reduced to zero colours or fewer. All this research took a great many Newpages and much Time; all the while the OTT-dragons that had revealed xemselves were posting wild, OTTifying a variety of memes, crafting tales, and posting puzzles. This led Balthacarius to publish a seaish and treeish essay, in several posts, entitled <*:"Cryptopixelated Unbasementing of OTTological Dracomolps, in the Special Case of Blitzposting from the Future into the Past.":> This article, and in particular its applicability to themed Hotdog-vending, created a sensation in the hotdiggity world, where there was still talk of the amazing polynerdsniping hotdog that had been used by the intrepid bOTTifactors against King Idle to avenge the deaths of their fellow vendors. But far greater was the sensation caused by the news that a certain bOTTifactor known as Tornater

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:31 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:40 am UTC

ggh wrote:300, Gingercat! Have some more cake unless you don't.
Spoiler:

Most excellent!

I'll be sure to enjoy it while it's available, and probably also while it's not (because I'll likely have migrated to a multiverse where it still is).

Many thanks! :mrgreen:
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:43 am UTC

SBN wrote:I'm in the only (U.S.) state with no snow currently.
I Wonder Why?
I've seen snow in Jacksonville, Florida.
True Story:
Spoiler:
I flew from the North West to the South East in the winter of '89 or '90.
I wanted to be warm.
I wanted to swim in Ocean water.

I was very disappointed.
It snowed on The Beach.
Jacksonville had snow that stuck!

It Can Snow in Florida.
Don't give up.

Winter is not over, yet.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

svenman

Postby svenman » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:09 am UTC

Hi everymolpy, I've been meaning to do some ketchup, but in the meantime I really want to share this:

You may be able to get a larger view by clicking on the image.

I promise there was no cheating involved, albeit some following the first commandment and frequent refreshing (ETA: of the ICT overview page – not of any newpage of the OTT itself!).

Condescendingly redundant
Spoiler:
Redundacomic based on xkcd comic 178 "Not Really Into Pokemon" by Randall Munroe, published under CC-BY-NC 2.5. Text modified by myself, modified image also published under CC-BY-NC 2.5.

22222222 views.png

xkcd0178_redundant.png
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:53 am UTC

addams wrote:
I Wonder Why?

That would have been '89. Folks here still talk about it.

Of course, before Hurricane Matthew it had been longer than that since one of those came here, so maybe we're due for snow.

I am pretty sure that if we had any mountains here there would be snow on them. I'm in the high part of Jax, my elevation is 39 feet.

svenman wrote:Hi everymolpy, I've been meaning to do some ketchup, but in the meantime I really want to share this:

Very cool. Thanks.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np1260

Postby mscha » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:00 pm UTC

PRONGED...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by ggh.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:A SHENANOBOT IS SEAISH TOO

-- posted by randompixbot

mrob27

1190: Time: SEMENCOFFEECANCERHELPIMTRAPPEDINAWOLPYFACTORYSTARSANDBACONBABIESONICE...

Postby mrob27 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:34 pm UTC

Thank you, @balthasar_s, for the extensive explanation and Katalog Obiektów-related backstory. I'm afraid I'm not really deserving of so much consideration, because I don't know anything about what "Coincidence" is except that maybe you invented it. I just see a webpage with a box to enter text and some buttons to click on, which is good enough for me :P
The pope asks if you have an idea how to solve the mystery: How to retrieve the objects?

Perhaps first someone might explain how the earlier stuff was figured out. At one point there were some PNG images with rectangular holes. What was all that about? I also remember some kind of object generator webpage, and people had to figure out what to do with it.

ggh wrote:I thought the colour in BFTF just reflected whether it had been seen.

There's a border that changes to bluethasar or balthorange if I move the mouse-pointer around. Links seem to do that too. What else has colour that changes?
  I don't see how the long bftf-related quote (from OTT:2330:9) would apply. This is BSTA, not bftf. Didn't bftf depend on @mscha somehow? BSTA is entirely Moonbased.
Ooh, that sounds really treeish! I'm pretty sure my bandpasses were just your basic resistor-and-capacitors versions.

My intent was to make a vocoder. But it turns out that vocoders do a completely different type of thing. The fact that it's frequency-based is about the only thing they have in common.

Next BSTA title: Examine room
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:00 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
addams wrote:
I Wonder Why?

That would have been '89. Folks here still talk about it.
I am pretty sure that if we had any mountains here there would be snow on them.
I'm in the high part of Jax, my elevation is 39 feet.
We talk about elevation around here, too.

The West side of town is X<50 feet
The East side if town is commonly X>50 feet.

My little clearing in the Forest is at a lofty 450 feet.
Poor Lucille. It's a StairMaster for her each day.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: Time: SEMENCOFFEECANCERHELPIMTRAPPEDINAWOLPYFACTORYSTARSANDBACONBABIESONICE...

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:52 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
The pope asks if you have an idea how to solve the mystery: How to retrieve the objects?

Perhaps first someone might explain how the earlier stuff was figured out. [...]
I just would like to add that I'm not making any new puzzle or anything like that. I'm just wondering if the OTT has any clever ideas for object retrieving.

Didn't bftf depend on @mscha somehow?
Yes, it didn't.
It did not depend on mscha's bot or viewer or anything like that.
It only depended on one external thing. It needed someone to download the current frame to ong the next one.
In the same 2330:9 post:
balthasar_s wrote:When I asked mscha about t1i**d he said I can use his system.
But I can't.
I want bftf to be discovered and activated by OTTers.
mscha's ONGsystem is not compatible with it.

ggh wrote:Okay, so it seems like the easiest way to get something from Catalogue would be to use a Time/Space Machine to go back to where the illustrator had the object in question in order to draw it, and take it right then and there. There's a few problems with this approach though:

Or even more problems:
Maybe there was no illustrator.
Or there was but he(?) didn't actually have the object.
BFTF replay.
BTTBAA:1023. # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here is why. # OTT facebug copy

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:20 pm UTC

Molpish name day, balthasar!
Spoiler:

Great catch on the post count, svenman!
I was a bit surprised earlier to see that this is our title on google:
Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 3.55.40 AM.png
Has it always been so?

mrob27 wrote:Next BSTA title: Examine room
Hmm, so is this inspired by Coincidence?

This:
balthasar_s wrote:This is the code responsible for this:

CODE: SELECT ALL
sub abbrname {
  (my $name) = @_;
  my $abbr;

if($name !~ /^[A-Za-z]+$/) {
    return '?';
  }

$abbr = uc(substr($name,0,1));
  $name = substr($name,1);
  while($name =~ m/([A-Z])/g) {
    $abbr = $abbr.$1;
  }
  return $abbr;
}
makes me wonder if there is a way we could sign in to Coincidence and not be OnlineTestTerminal.

balthasar_s wrote:Or even more problems:
Maybe there was no illustrator.
Or there was but he(?) didn't actually have the object.
If there was no illustrator, and I remembered the illustration he made of the object, then perhaps I would have accidentally retrieved the illustrator along with the object. I wonder if that would make the Catalogue itself go away.

I don't have a Catalogue... maybe I've already done this.

ETA: Ack. I've got the wrong name day. I recently googled it, and saw the 11th, but I didn't have Poland in the search terms, so I got the wrong one.
Molpish belated name day, balthasar....
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

Unbefore

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:41 pm UTC

I improved the navigation of the Coincidence befores. Now you are no longer forced to move just in one direction - backwards.
BFTF replay.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:32 pm UTC

....Oh, Time.
How I love you...

I have no idea What you are Talking about.
Like a child playing on the floor has no idea what the adults are talking about.

I love you.
I trust you.

Your voices comfort me.
I don't, really, care what you are talking about.

Please, Please, Keep talking.
Because, your voices comfort me.

An Old Poem:
Spoiler:
Elizabeth Barrett Browning, 1806 - 1861

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight

For the ends of being and ideal grace.

I love thee to the level of every day’s
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.

I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.

I love thee with the passion put to use
In my Old Griefs, and with my Childhood’s Faith.

I love thee with a love I seemed to lose with my lost saints.

I love thee with the Breath, Smiles, Tears, of all My Life;
And, if God choose, I shall but love thee Better After Death.
Good Morning, StarShine! (An Old Song)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whmzEXywq40

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:19 pm UTC

ggh wrote:monochrome, no? The one pictured is the green one, but you remember when it was the blue one.

This is kind of related to a future bsta frame.
The catalogue is monochrome, no?
All the objects are drawn with a blue pen.
The total number of colors is 4 (that seems familiar for some reason...):
white - used for the background
blue - used for the everything
red - used for the useful warnings
black - used on one page to show the colorfulness of the object.
BFTF replay.

mrob27

1190: Time: IF MOOPIES HAD THWAPSTICKS, AND COULD *BRADVA*, HOW WOULD WE DIFFERENTIATE THEM FROM MYSTERYONGS?

Postby mrob27 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:38 pm UTC

BSTA 000021
by mrob27 » ONGing BSTA 000021 at 20170111 18:37:31 UTC = newpix 33447.63
Examine room

You're standing in your room.
You're living here for 4 years already.
Normally, the room doesn't look like this.
There's a lot of stuff lying randomly on the floor and desk.
(But not now. Today you have everything in boxes. You wanted a clean room on your birthday.)
This stuff consists mainly of bicycle parts and electronic pieces.
On and under the desk are some computers.
That's all very fitting since in the recent times you're interested in bicycling, electronics and old computers..
There are things hanging on the wall.

BBcode lovingly left unconverted by makepost

ETA: When I posted this post, it was 18:37:31 UTC and the countdown timer was about 31:22:00. When I posted the previous BSTA, it was right when the timer had counted down to 0:00. Can someone work out what the TUNO is?
Last edited by mrob27 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:41 pm UTC

Chapter 56

Shoe was becoming a hit, or a problem, depending on which side you were on. Shoe made it easy for both the clerecy and the lay community to communicate, although exactly what it was that was being communicated was no longer under the supervision of the Heralds, nor did it carry the trusted authority of the Pope or the clerecy. Nonetheless Shoes were ringing all the time as people shared pictures of kitties, chatted about the latest juicy news they had learned (or thought they had learned), and concocted wild stories about moons and trains through outer space (whatever that was). These stories were grounded in just enough truth to make one wonder, and as a result all serious intellectual pursuits had pretty much come to a halt. Prayer tiles lay forgotten where they were last used, the Grotto was no longer a place of Sanctuary, and people stopped paying any mind to the heralds, since by the time they were told to herald something, it was already old news on the Shoe.
Spoiler:
The Pope was reluctant to do anything about it however, as Shoe had saved Addams' life from her keyboard attack, and it was what brought the first news of First Cleric's discovery of the bar with seven OTTers, leading to their Awesome Rescue. Shoe was most certainly a contradiction, but whether or not it was a Holy one was the subject of great debate, most of which (of course) took place on Shoe.

What it did do however was to make First Cleric hungry. Many people took their Shoes off to show people whatever exotic thing they were eating right now, much to the consternation of nearby diners, and there was much trading of recipes for redundakitties. Whether this was gourmet food for felines, or recipes that used them as ingredients, First Cleric ate it all up. So when Shoe was abuzz with the latest rumors of gender identity suppression, his mind was still on the gastronomic implications of the latest techniques for basting uncooperative molpies.

Thus was First Cleric caught totally by surprise when the Pope "burst in"; the pontiff had been quietly standing next to him for the better part of an ong before First Cleric even noticed.

Upon being granted attention from First Cleric, the Pope asked, "What is this about a tiny organ that only women are allowed to see"?

This is not a sentence that one expects to hear from a spiritual leader of any sort, let alone the Pope himself, and First Cleric could not figure out just what culinary delight he might be referring to.

The Pope continued. "On the Shoe... didn't you hear?"

"Hear what?", First Cleric replied. "What does that have to do with cooking molpy?"

"Who's cooking molpy?", asked the Pope.

"Nobody yet, but as soon as a keyboard shows up, it's going in the pot", replied First Cleric. He hadn't seen one since Dvorak tried to eat Addams, and was looking forward to some tasty revenge.

Like most conversations with First Cleric this was going nowhere. It seemed that he was quickly returning to his usual self after returning from his high altitude adventure. Thinking that perhaps the Pope should have consulted Second Scribe instead, he dropped the matter and left. Still, something was afoot on the Shoe, and First Cleric became curious. He began to think: Just where would a secret organ be located, and how could it be kept secret in the first place? And why with only women, and not men? It probably had nothing to do with social protocols, those kinds of things are hardly new, and hardly secret. The only other organ he was familiar with was the Crystal Organ, and that was hardly a secret (although it did have some mysterious operations to it). Somewhere, there just had to be a Holy Contradiction, and that's how he'd recognize what he was looking for. But where to look in the first place?

It was getting late, so First Cleric decided to sleep on it. On the way across the Seminary, First Cleric chanced to look up at the sky, and saw something that he couldn't explain. This was not unusual for him, but he was pretty sure that nobody else had seen this either - there was a glowing orb in the sky that he'd never seen before, just hovering silently way overhead. "Hmmph!" he thought, entered his room, and fell soundly asleep.

On the other side of the Seminary, Agatha the Awesomeful was engaged in her own puzzlements. She had come across a device that was seemed to have the ability to make things appear\, but she could not quite figure out just how it worked. True to her title, she loved mysteries, and especially loved crushing them beneath the awesomeful power of her intellect and devouring them whole. Mysteries were food for her brain, but this one was particularly vexing, as it seemed to involve time travel, something that always ch*rps up the cause and effect relationship and turns a mystery into a veritable enigma.

Like the Crystal Organ, it had a leopard, but it was an extremely riverish one and had strange symbols on each of the keys. There was a crystal window behind which there seemed to be some whirly things, but they weren't doing anything at this time. Being smaller than a breadbox, the device was too small for anybody to fit inside it to make the whirly things whirl.

So she persuaded the Pope to grant her and Second Scribe total control over a small room in the basement of the Great Cathedral in order to investigate this device, which they called a "River Organ". There were some odd conditions attached, including that no men would be allowed into the room, but after the way she solved what was becoming called the "Texaco Mystery", the Pope did not object. At the very least, it would keep First Cleric away, and that was probably a good thing. Nonetheless, First Cleric was not the buffoon he was made out to be. Terrifying as the thought might be, one day he might be Pope, and he'd have to be ready.

Once set up in their secret room at the base of the Cathedral, Second Scribe and Agatha the Awesomeful puzzled over the simple symbols that were on the keys: circles, squares, triangles, lines. Clearly this was the work of an organized mind. Now, what would First Cleric do? Clearly he'd just press a button to see what would happen. They had to not do that! But they did have to do something. Second Scribe had seen symbols like this in some of the older scrolls, and surmised that the triangle was "go" and the square was "stop", but she got no further. And go where? The circle could be a bulls-eye; best not to touch that one. After much discussion, they decided to try pressing the "go" button, being ready to press the "stop" button right away if something seemed amiss.

Upon pressing what they surmised was "go", the whirly things started whirling inside the window, all by themselves. After being mesmerized for a good part of an ong, they pressed the "stop" button, and sure enough the whirly things stopped. This was almost more excitement than they could stand, but didn't yet give much insight, until ggh pointed out that the whirly things were now a different size. Second Scribe connected the dots and decided that this thing must be some sort of scroll; whether from the future, from another world was yet to be determined. Whatever it was, those whirly things were the key to this whole mystery.

They were startled by a knock on the door. Could First Cleric have found out so soon? With great trepidation, Second Scribe answered the door. Standing there was a small man who looked a little bit like a garden figure, who asked, "No man permitted in these premises?", pointing to the hastily scrawled sign the Pope had put on the door.

"Yes, by order of the Pope", replied our Agatha the Awesomeful, thinking fast.

Striding into the room he said, "Great. I can help you. In fact, I've already helped you in the future. I'm GnomeAnne."

"Uh.... pleased to meet you!", she said, thinking even faster. "I'm ggh. How did you...", she stammered, but then couldn't figure out what it was that she wanted to ask about, and in what temporal sense. She could think fast, but not as fast as the future itself.

"This is a secret base, is it not?" he asked.

Second Scribe responded, "We thought it was. Perhaps that was optimistic of us."

"There's another secret base on the moon. Or there will be one. Or there will have once been one. Something like that. The River Organ has something to do with it.", he said.

Wishing they had hidden their mystery device, wondering how he knew what they were calling it, and not knowing what to ask about first, ggh asked, "What's a moon?"

"It's a seaish rock in the sky, but that's not important right now", answered GnomeAnne. "We have to make sure nobody finds out about this thing, because if too many people...". He was cut off by another knock on the door.

"I'm getting a bad feeling about this", said Second Scribe, as she went for the door.

"Don't answer it!" shouted GnomeAnne, but it was too late. Second Scribe had already opened the door, and there in the doorway stood First Cleric. Hoping to prevent him from noticing what they were working on, ggh asked him about his latest recipes. This made First Cleric even hungrier, and he began looking around.

"That's all I hear on Shoe is recipes, but I can't find any ingredients!", he replied. At this point I could eat a horse - and I don't even know what a "horse" is!

And then he noticed it.

"What's this?" he asked, as he went over to the table holding the River Organ.

"Just a little project I'm working on. Nothing important", said ggh. "Come, let me distract you with some redundakitties".

He wasn't having it though. The rest of them rushed over but before any of them could stop him, he had pushed the square button and the crystal window opened, popping out a riverish slab the size of a chocolate bar. With a seaish grin on his face, First Cleric picked it up, slipped it into his pocket, and was out the door.

On the way out, he said just one word. "Lunch".
Jose

<-- previous (NP 2525) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:49 pm UTC

This was perfect.
BFTF replay.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:56 pm UTC

The OTT has well over a hundred thousand replies.

Has there ever been such a sizeable Thread before now? If so, how much longer until the OTT overtakes it?

It has over twenty-two million views.

That sort of viewcount is usually only the province of very popular YouTube videos!

Does anyone have any estimate of how much space, server-side, the OTT currently occupies?

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:56 pm UTC

Bwahahaha!

Oh me Randall's yarm, Jose. I might have to leave it at that, because the other things I desperately want to say are... things I'm not going to say, at least not whilst sober.

mrob27 wrote:ETA: When I posted this post, it was 18:37:31 UTC and the countdown timer was about 31:22:00. When I posted the previous BSTA, it was right when the timer had counted down to 0:00. Can someone work out what the TUNO is?
I'd say it was 33 again. There is the matter of the slipping seconds. Currently the ONG is about 22 seconds behind the hour. GnomeAnne first spotted this 11 ONGs ago when it was 16 seconds. I don't think balthasar has explained it yet, but I could have missed it. So, I'd guess
    either the moon is lagging, either accidentally or intentionally, or
    the TUNOs are actually are a second or two longer than we think they are, or
    something happens between one countdown and the next that takes some small amount of Time, again either intentionally or not.
Does anyone have the sub-second accuracy on xer shoe sand/internet/clicking reflex necessary to perform a few experiments?

Edit: clarification
Last edited by ggh on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:03 pm UTC

Gingercat wrote:Does anyone have any estimate of how much space, server-side, the OTT currently occupies?
An approximation from 1.mirror's: 224 MiB in text + 15 MiB in avatars + 1.3 GiB in attachments = 1.5 GiB.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:15 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Gingercat wrote:Does anyone have any estimate of how much space, server-side, the OTT currently occupies?
An approximation from 1.mirror's: 224 MiB in text + 15 MiB in avatars + 1.3 GiB in attachments = 1.5 GiB.

That's incredible! Delightful! Amazing!

Seriously, that rather seaish number has made my day. :D Worlds within worlds (sometimes within worlds of their own) within the OTT.

ETA: My postcount is palindromic, and requires a palindromic addition in order to become a meaningful palindrome of its own, which in itself can often be used to describe me: Catbox Not Found (except for now, when it is).

Muahaha! Today is a good day.

ETA II: The latest AotC was, of course, most excellent.

Eternal Density

oh, some clerics are acting!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:02 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:ETA: My postcount is palindromic, and requires a palindromic addition in order to become a meaningful palindrome of its own, which in itself can often be used to describe me: Catbox Not Found (except for now, when it is).

Congrats on 303, Gingercat!
Spoiler:

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:23 am UTC

Mustard.
Spoiler:
IMG_3255.JPG
Agatha the Awesomeful

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:32 am UTC

ggh wrote:Mustard.

What happen?

Did someone set it up the bomb?

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:57 am UTC

Today's gale is gustier than I expected.
I didn't have the net on it, but I don't think that would have helped anyways - the net is mostly to keep the plexiglas from flying into the Cook Strait, or through my neighbours' torsos.
Yesterday got a bit windy and I accidentally left the deck door open when I went out. That cost me a small window.
Today is a gale, but isn't forecast to be a bad one. I guess it's just hitting me at the right angle. :(
Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 1.22.11 PM.png
A big gust shook the house and I leapt to the deck door just in time to see the plexiglass bowing further than ever before and think, "well, that's not good." A few seconds later the next gust collapsed the roof and blew off two of the sides. I got the third one off just before the wind did if for me.

The roof falling on them didn't do the plants any favours, but there were fewer casualties than I would have thought. They're in my room now being triaged.
Spoiler:
IMG_3257.JPG
IMG_3256.JPG
The remaining wooden part is taking a hammering. The wind is coming from the open side and - whoa... be right back.

ETA: Righteo. Just ran out to take the door off its hinges. I'd hoped that the door would help with structure a bit, but that side was just catching too much wind. It was surprising (and a little scary) to see it so far from the perpendicular.
Agatha the Awesomeful

GnomeAnne

RE: IF MOOPIES HAD THWAPSTICKS, AND COULD *BRADVA*, HOW WOULD WE DIFFERENTIATE THEM FROM MYSTERYONGS?

Postby GnomeAnne » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:52 am UTC

Oh, ggh!
Your poor plants, and the greenhouse!
Is the damage repairable?

ggh wrote:
mrob27 wrote:When I posted this post, it was 18:37:31 UTC and the countdown timer was about 31:22:00. When I posted the previous BSTA, it was right when the timer had counted down to 0:00. Can someone work out what the TUNO is?

I'd say it was 33 again.
The latest ONG was just after 17:00 UTC, aproximately one hour and forty minutes before your post, TUNO was indeed 33.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:34 am UTC

ggh wrote:<Stuff />

Oh dear :( It's less of a greenhouse and more of a wind tunnel at the moment hm?

It may become necessary to pre-emptively dismantle it into easy-reconstructed bits, before it becomes an auto-deconstruction with few recovery options!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:27 am UTC

Good luck with the greenhouse rescue, ggh! Maybe you need to plant some mustard to avoid more mustard?
Then again, that might be a contradiction that might or might not please the Pope, who again was awesomefully entertaining. Thanks ucim!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:32 am UTC

Thanks guys!

I'm hoping it can be repaired. I think it's come apart more than broken, though I did notice that one of the routered window-holding edges had splintered away a bit, making the channel less of a channel towards one corner, and one of the roof braces has flown away. I was thinking of trying to dismantle it further to let it lay flat, but I'm going to let it ride - partly because the more I have to do to put it back together, the less likely it is to happen, and partly because said dismantling would have to be done in a gale.

Instead, I've been trying to get ~150 displaced plants close to windows. They look to have - knock on wood - come through surprisingly well. I expect them all to survive their injuries apart from a spinach, which had bolted anyways. Bizarrely but awesomefully, the tomatoes made it through without a scratch. Luckily for me, I'd given ~20 plants away on Tuesday, and I hope to unload a dozen or more to a friend tomorrow, so that helps a little. The ones stuck indoors with me will not be appreciating the tinted windows.

I'm going to need a low-wind day to try to put it back together. That might be a wait. Fingers crossed that the palette base holds together until then.
Agatha the Awesomeful

mrob27

1190: Time: THAT'S IT! I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOLPYCH**RPING DILGUNNERPUNSAWS ON THIS MOLPYCH**RPING RABTOR!

Postby mrob27 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:58 am UTC

That's a very molpish chapter, thank you @ucim! It reminds me that apparently there was some kind of cassette recorder interface related to BSTA. Or maybe related to the Two Words game, or all the other things that were happening before final exams.

AluisioASG wrote:

Mine is comparable: presently 343 MiB of HTML and 918 MiB of attachments (and no avatars).

@ggh, am I to understand that the photo shows the remains of some sort of self-contained greenhouse that was sitting out on a deck? This must be something else that happened during fall semester.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:39 am UTC

oh, ggh; Tragedy has struck,'
It may be Time to re-think.

I'm so sorry.
The wind took a lot of high hopes and hard work.

ggh. Are you willing to consider Pre-Fab?
I was at a Box Store. The prices were Right.

I took cell phone photos.
I can send them to GnomeAnne.
GnomeAnne can then PM them to you.

Of course, if Two-by-fours and plexiglass can not stand up to NZ gales;
Then these light weight pre-fabs may become kites in the first NZ gust.

oh...I am so sad for all of us.
Everyone, except the plants.

They seem to be having a fine Time.

Jose; Your story was an interesting read.
Is there More?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:18 am UTC

I think I'm going to give it Another Go, Addams. :)
I got almost two months of joy out it.
And maybe it won't be that hard to reassemble.

The wind is mocking me right now - it's calm, just for an hour or two. It's 11pm. I can't hammer now - I've got neighbours.
Then it will be windy again, until overnight when I can't work, and then windy again from around 8am on.
When we invent forcefields, I am totally going to abuse them.

I'd like to see your pictures! I can't afford prefab, but maybe they will help me with ideas.
Thank you!

Yes, mrob, I'm a big-time procrastinator and all-around not-doer, so when I started moving ahead with my greenhouse project, I yammered about it constantly. Here's the main post with pics of the construction. It contains a bonus earthquake. And here's more with it completed enough to put plants in. Since then, the plants have been growing well, the greenhouse has withstood a few gales, and... um... maybe I grew too complacent.

Two Words, Coincidence, and the BSTA story are all RELATED somehow. I don't really know how RELATED though. They're all collected in one directory on the moonbase for starters. So far Two Words has mostly been about playing Two Words in a standalone way, but there has been an exception we'll get to in a moment.

Coincidence was like a chat room with links to balthasian worlds, but I found it first and failed to tell folks how to get in, so its role in the launch of BSTA unfortunately had to mutate to something quite ggh-centric. After I got to enjoy a really treeish experience with some of balthasar's friends in 2010, the hint was given "AP: Actually, I only have two words for you: hidden interface"

At that point, SBN typed "hidden interface" into Two Words, and the page changed to show a tape player. After a few false starts, and some detective work, someone pressed the right buttons and GnomeAnne found that the BSTA index had changed into a distorted image, and then to frame 0 of BSTA. Clicking on the "Wait" to go to the next frame launched the story we're now waiting for, and the tape interface disappeared.

Since then, it is unclear what the relationship is between BSTA, Two Words and Coincidence. The tape interface is gone now, but balthasar has told us that it will return in the future (or the past, or something) and he's mentioned comics he's drawn where whole worlds were stored on cassette.

There was definitely a "thing to do" to launch BSTA, but I'm not really clear on whether there is currently something to solve. I'm paranoid, so I keep looking for stuff, but I have no idea if that's helpful or annoying. When BSTA says to "B the guy" I feel like we should find a way to do that, but then balthasar has also told us about - even shown us - future frames, so that seems like maybe I should chill the ch*rp out and enjoy the tale as it unfolds. I have no idea. I might be approaching it as a sort of Pascal's Wager. Also it's fun.

Oh... something I forgot to mention: at some point on that day it was all going down, balthasar's sig read "It's happeninh!" There is that bit in balthasar's sig that says it's autogenerated. That may be RELATED too. That's why I was asking you if you grabbed sigs. Would it be easy to keep an eye on balthasar's sig with greater frequency? If it truly is autogenerated, maybe it will say things based on other BSTA-related happenings, even if balthasar is fast asleep. (Sorry, feel free to ignore me. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean you have to be).

Okay I think I'll post this now and then go back and try to add some links and stuff.

Edited in a bunch of links.
Last edited by ggh on Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:50 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Re: 1189.994366: "Time"

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:13 am UTC

ggh wrote:There is the matter of the slipping seconds. Currently the ONG is about 22 seconds behind the hour. GnomeAnne first spotted this 11 ONGs ago when it was 16 seconds. I don't think balthasar has explained it yet, but I could have missed it. So, I'd guess
    either the moon is lagging, either accidentally or intentionally, or
    the TUNOs are actually are a second or two longer than we think they are, or
    something happens between one countdown and the next that takes some small amount of Time, again either intentionally or not.
Does anyone have the sub-second accuracy on xer shoe sand/internet/clicking reflex necessary to perform a few experiments?

The botcastle's clock is was resynchronized only after the computer starts (or restarts). And, apparently, the clock is a little too slow.
It used to be worse:
balthasar_s wrote:
mrob27 wrote:@mscha reported that one of the xkcd servers was 7 seconds slow (see this post and this post). Note the first assumption implicit in his statement that "IMO: a well-configured server should always be running NTP, and thus always be within a few milliseconds of actual time".?
My first botcastle didn't use NTP. When I replaced it with the current one it was 7 minutes ahead.
mscha would not like that.

Also, the ONGing does take a small amount of time during which you see the 00:00:NG, but this does not affect the next countdown.

Additionally, the ongtimes must be multiples of whole hours because of how the ongsystem works:
At each full hour the ong bot wakes up and checks if it should ong already or not.

BFTF was even more limited.
The ongtimes could only be 1,2,3,4,6,8,12 or 24 hours.
I never set it to 1,2,3 or 24.

BSTA ongtimes are not limited.
The bsta ongtime is recalculated on every ong.

The 00:00:NG is visible for not longer than 15 seconds.
Later, if the frame is still not ONGed (for example the bot failed to launch, or the botcastle was mustarded or whatever) "EE:EE:EE" is seen instead.
On the next full hour the bot will try to ong once again.
The next countdown is starting from the time the frame was actually onged and not from when it should have been.

ggh wrote:I thought the colour in BFTF just reflected whether it had been seen. And although having the nextitle not appear if no one was looking at it would be molpishly redundant, I doubt that's the algorithm in this case.
Yes, in BFTF the timer was blue when the last frame was not seen.
But because the color showed the state from when the page was loaded but before applying the change caused by the loading and because the state change was triggered by downloading the image and not the viewer page you saw the blue timer even after you accessed the latest frame for the first time and when you refreshed the page it was no longer blue.

In BSTA you can see the timer looking like this:
Spoiler:
BFTF replay.

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:44 pm UTC

Thanks for explaining the clock lag!

Heh... I posted that pic... never noticed the blue at all. :oops: There was a lot to take in....
So, the nextitle would never appear with the blue counter even if it was late enough to see it when we first visited - we'd have to refresh to get it. Is that correct?

Gee, I do feel silly about not noticing those blue numbers when I posted that.

Coincidentally, today I asked the Little Wonder what her favourite colour was, knowing that she would say blue, but she surprised me by announcing that it had changed to orange.

Are you a fellow non-pillow user?
Agatha the Awesomeful

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:24 pm UTC

So sorry to hear about (and see) your greenhouse mustard gh. But maybe you should plant mustard in your greenhouse, giving you greenhouse mustard so that you don't get greenhouse mustard. Or, perhaps you should design it like an airfoil. At the very least, bolt something like those trailer-truck hood things to deflect the wind around the greenhouse. Ch*rp you get windy days! Do you use wind farms for power? Something to consider.

I don't know how much of AotC you have read [color=#00f]addams[color]; there's a link to the entire Acts at the bottom and most of the story is in the spoiler. As the Acts are ongoing, there will be more in the future (which means that if you can figure out the object generator and travel into the future, you might already have seen it, but then you would be answering the question, not asking it, unless you are a spy from the future and just trying to throw us off the trail, but then you'd already know what the future was so wouldn't need to do that....)

That is, unless First Cleric eats the cassette. But he wouldn't do that, would he? :)

Glad you are all enjoying the anticsHoly Works of the clerecy. :)

ggh wrote:Oh me Randall's yarm, Jose. I might have to leave it at that, because the other things I desperately want to say are... things I'm not going to say, at least not whilst sober.
After your greenhouse mustard, would you stay sober? I probably wouldn't! :)

As to pillows, I like a cool one, so I have several I switch out during the night. Husks FTW.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:53 pm UTC

ggh: did the walls fail because the structure was not fully rigid? If so, I'd suggest putting a diagonal cross between the four corners, at roof level. This changes the structure from a rectangle (which can collapse) to four triangles (which can't really) and should make it a good deal stronger.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mrob27

1190: Time: ALSO, I CAN OTTCOLOURISE YOU WITH MY TURTLEMOLPY.

Postby mrob27 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:36 pm UTC

Thank you @ggh for the thorough explanation, with links! Regarding whether we should "chill the ch*rp out", I tend to agree: the puzzle-solving is done, for a while at least. Most of the ONGoing stories have started with a puzzle or two that get worked out pretty quickly at the beginning, which provide access to the majority of the material which then comes out in pieces spread fairly uniformly over time. Of course we could always look out for embedded puzzles, such as the @taixzo alphabet transliteration in t-1.

I definitely went through the Polish balthasite at some point in the past. I loved the fact that the index pages (like this page have menus consisting of "lines" that are images where each image is one line of a sheet of ruled paper. You could add more lines to a menu easily that way. Except that in, for example, this image:

there are letters like the p and g in publicznego that stick down into the next line's image:

so you can't really add a menu item in between those two. Anyway, I remember seeing this page, containing an image that was part of @balthasar_s's avatar and the "cassette tape player" interface, and my cross-system browser history says I loaded that page at 20140107.20:17:44 (my local time). Presumably I had just then gotten around to following up on this post: OTT:1553:24. Back then the domain name was baltixy.w.interia.pl. @balthasar_s first advertised that domain name in OTT:1371:33, before I showed up.

balthasar_s

90. 'Re:'; 100. '1190'; 1000. '"Time"'

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:06 pm UTC

I would like to add that the index adding is not my original idea.
I was inspired by the table of contents from the comic book
"Przepraszam, Remanent".
Spoiler:
Redundant:
remanent.png
BFTF replay.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”