What-If 0155: "Toaster vs. Freezer"

What if there was a forum for discussing these?

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rmsgrey

Re: What-If 0155: "Toaster vs. Freezer"

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:48 pm UTC

Two things to remember:

1) Millions of people share their homes with wolves and it's extremely rare for there to be incidents.

2) Wolves in the wild are descended from the wolves who weren't interested in living with humans peacefully...

GalFisk

Postby GalFisk » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:06 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:You're not nuking it on the full setting, are you? Even though lesser 'powers' of microwaving are done by PWM (e.g. a few seconds of radiating, several seconds of idling, even while still pirouetting in the light of the internal lamp), it's amazing the actual difference the Defrost setting actually makes in actual defrosting1, compared to just trying to do it on Max to save time.

(Also, all these instructions to microwave things that mention times for 850W microwaves, etc... Mine is an old one maybe 500W, or slightly less (it may say what it is on the back, if I can be bothered to shift it to remind myself). Thus I have to take care to use the right adjustments of time between stirrings for anything I try to cook with it, and test it well.)

1 Probably because it's liquid water that gets the benefit of the zap, rather than the ice.

I find that bread reconstitutes best on the very lowest power setting, 10% on and 90% off. Run for several minutes, not until the bread gets warm, just until it is no longer cold.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:15 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote: Scissors snip power, but scissors-user runs a brief but real risk of electrocution.
THat just means the scissors beat scissors user as well as toaster.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

sevenperforce

Postby sevenperforce » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:06 pm UTC

Clearly, the real challenge implicit in all of this:

Build a freezer capable of preventing a toaster from toasting bread.

Assuming a 1000-watt toaster, you just need a freezer which draws over 500 watts at the compressor and uses a forced-air fan to circulate.

Return to “What If?”