What-If 0073: "Lethal Neutrinos"

What if there was a forum for discussing these?

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

x7eggert
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 6:55 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0073: "Lethal Neutrinos"

Postby x7eggert » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:33 pm UTC

You are thinking much too complicatedly. Just throw the supernova into the black hole before it goes boom. :-)

Socom7
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:47 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0073: "Lethal Neutrinos"

Postby Socom7 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:55 pm UTC

x7eggert wrote:You are thinking much too complicatedly. Just throw the supernova into the black hole before it goes boom. :-)


That's a terrible idea. Most of the star's mass wouldn't fall into the black hole and instead produce an accretion disk. Now, accretion disks are fantastically efficient at converting matter to energy (an order of magnitude or so better than supernovae) - hence the resulting miniquasar would release more radiation than the supernova ever could.

x7eggert
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 6:55 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0073: "Lethal Neutrinos"

Postby x7eggert » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:44 am UTC

Socom7 wrote:
x7eggert wrote:You are thinking much too complicatedly. Just throw the supernova into the black hole before it goes boom. :-)


That's a terrible idea. Most of the star's mass wouldn't fall into the black hole and instead produce an accretion disk. Now, accretion disks are fantastically efficient at converting matter to energy (an order of magnitude or so better than supernovae) - hence the resulting miniquasar would release more radiation than the supernova ever could.


No death by neutrinos then :-)

SuicideJunkie
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:40 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0073: "Lethal Neutrinos"

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:57 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure that defeats the point.
Otherwise, it is far simpler and more effective to throw the observer into the hole instead.

Or, for the truly frugal, just don't give them a ship or space suit.

rmsgrey
Posts: 3007
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0073: "Lethal Neutrinos"

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:45 am UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:I'm pretty sure that defeats the point.
Otherwise, it is far simpler and more effective to throw the observer into the hole instead.

Or, for the truly frugal, just don't give them a ship or space suit.


If you really want to have someone die with minimum effort on your part, just wait...

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 3606
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: What-If 0073: "Lethal Neutrinos"

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:14 am UTC

Cause of death: time.

(Not too long ago I sketched an outline for a sequel to the fan sequel Significant Digits to the fanfic Harry Potter And The Methods of Rationality, which talks a lot about an anthropomorphized Time in the context of how magic time travel works, and also has Harry on a lifelong quest to vanquish Death, just in the sense of keeping everyone alive but also Death is anthropomorphized a bit when talking about that, though not a real actual character. In my sketch of a sequel, it ultimately turns out that the primordial state of the universe is one in which immaterial beings of pure and unlimited magic fought in a timeless chaos wherein each changed the universe as they pleased constantly undoing each others changes thus preventing any sort of arrow of time from ever emerging, and that primordial war was ended with one or some of them magically bound all of them such that every change imposed was of a fixed magnitude and always increased the total disorder of the universe, thus imposing entropy and all the laws of physics with it, and in the process an arrow of time, and with that, the inevitability of death. Human magic, which can reverse entropy, is a development out of a long game played by many of those beings to break that restriction, through the person of Harry, and when he learns this he is faced with something of a dilemma: ought he at last defeat Death, knowing that in doing so he will inevitably also unmake Time, and return the universe to a timeless chaos?)
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
xkcdfan
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:10 am UTC

Re: What-If 0073: "Lethal Neutrinos"

Postby xkcdfan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:12 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Cause of death: time.

(Not too long ago I sketched an outline for a sequel to the fan sequel Significant Digits to the fanfic Harry Potter And The Methods of Rationality, which talks a lot about an anthropomorphized Time in the context of how magic time travel works, and also has Harry on a lifelong quest to vanquish Death, just in the sense of keeping everyone alive but also Death is anthropomorphized a bit when talking about that, though not a real actual character. In my sketch of a sequel, it ultimately turns out that the primordial state of the universe is one in which immaterial beings of pure and unlimited magic fought in a timeless chaos wherein each changed the universe as they pleased constantly undoing each others changes thus preventing any sort of arrow of time from ever emerging, and that primordial war was ended with one or some of them magically bound all of them such that every change imposed was of a fixed magnitude and always increased the total disorder of the universe, thus imposing entropy and all the laws of physics with it, and in the process an arrow of time, and with that, the inevitability of death. Human magic, which can reverse entropy, is a development out of a long game played by many of those beings to break that restriction, through the person of Harry, and when he learns this he is faced with something of a dilemma: ought he at last defeat Death, knowing that in doing so he will inevitably also unmake Time, and return the universe to a timeless chaos?)

You have a million better things to do with your time than write a sequel to HPMOR, of all things.

(I couldn't even get through the first chapter. Harry's entire history changed because Petunia married a super-rational scientist instead of Vernon, except the guy only married her because she wheedled a beauty potion out of Lily. If he was really as rational as all that, he would have married her either way.)

rmsgrey
Posts: 3007
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: What-If 0073: "Lethal Neutrinos"

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:56 pm UTC

xkcdfan wrote:(I couldn't even get through the first chapter. Harry's entire history changed because Petunia married a super-rational scientist instead of Vernon, except the guy only married her because she wheedled a beauty potion out of Lily. If he was really as rational as all that, he would have married her either way.)

Depends on how much utility he assigns to physical attractiveness - also known as a combination of traits that, (pre-)historically are associated with reproductive fitness...

User avatar
xkcdfan
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:10 am UTC

Re: What-If 0073: "Lethal Neutrinos"

Postby xkcdfan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:58 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Depends on how much utility he assigns to physical attractiveness - also known as a combination of traits that, (pre-)historically are associated with reproductive fitness...

Considering they haven't reproduced in eleven years they've had Harry, I would postulate that he assigns fairly low utility to that.

More likely he's just a STEM dudebro who pretends to be super-logical but still thinks of women as objects.


Return to “What If?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests