Real one way glass

Post your reality fanfiction here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

liberonscien
-ce

Real one way glass

Postby liberonscien » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:20 pm UTC

If I understand the physics correctly, there is no such thing as one way glass, i.e., glass that only allows light to pass through from one side. What could be done with such an anomalous kind of glass?
To clarify, this glass is also a perfect mirror because if this glass was to absorb energy from the other side then the glass would violate the one way rule.
Last edited by liberonscien on Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: This user is currently questioning its beliefs. This user offers its sincerest apologies if it accidentally offends another user. This user never offends others on purpose and may accidentally offend other users because it lacks knowledge regarding how to be a normal human.

Flumble
Yes Man

Re: Real one way glass

Postby Flumble » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:33 pm UTC

I'll start off with: reducing entropy and thereby violating the second law of thermodynamics.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:18 pm UTC

A sphere of the stuff that lets light in but not out would make a convenient solar battery or time bomb, depending on how quickly it released stored energy.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

quantropy

Postby quantropy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:53 am UTC

liberonscien wrote:If I understand the physics correctly, there is no such thing as one way glass?

Is this true though? After all in electronics you have diodes, and as far as I can see the same physics applies. It's true that diodes don't work at thermal energies, preventing the building of a Maxwell's demon device, but it seems to me that the corresponding argument would be that one-way glass wouldn't work if it were at the temperature of the sun.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:05 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:A sphere of the stuff that lets light in but not out would make a convenient solar battery or time bomb, depending on how quickly it released stored energy.

Wait... if it lets in all photons regardless of their frequency or angle, then wouldn't this sphere be a black body?
Brought to you by the Interstellar Frungy League. "Frungy, the Sport of Kings!"

commodorejohn wrote:
I wish that someone would tell them that it is not a good idea to mock the giants you are standing on.

But man, that's the entire cultural foundation of the 21st century!

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:23 pm UTC

I would make a badass pair of sunglasses.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:24 pm UTC

In but not out, I said.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:54 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:In but not out, I said.

Like this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Blac ... zation.png

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:05 pm UTC

How's that supposed to prevent light from coming back out the hole it went in?

In any case, we'll need the OP to clarify exactly what's meant by one-way, as I was taking it to mean thermal radiation also doesn't pass back the other way (hence its being impossible).
---

(he/him/his)

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:21 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:How's that supposed to prevent light from coming back out the hole it went in?

Out-of-arrows-error.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:33 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:How's that supposed to prevent light from coming back out the hole it went in?

In any case, we'll need the OP to clarify exactly what's meant by one-way, as I was taking it to mean thermal radiation also doesn't pass back the other way (hence its being impossible).

It's just a visualization. Anyway, they said light does not pass through it in one direction; I assume that means the other direction they get absorbed, which means it could radiate that as heat. If it was also perfectly reflective, then that's another story - and another physical impossibility, I believe.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:02 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:In any case, we'll need the OP to clarify exactly what's meant by one-way, as I was taking it to mean thermal radiation also doesn't pass back the other way (hence its being impossible).

I'm going with this, too.

And also what's meant by "glass". If it's the regular optical stuff, we're bound to reversibility like in that one what-if.

speising

Postby speising » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:04 pm UTC

When people talk about light, they typically mean visible light, not thermal radiation. Specifically in the context of one way mirrors.

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:16 pm UTC

Energy can pass through it, but in one direction only.
Warning: This user is currently questioning its beliefs. This user offers its sincerest apologies if it accidentally offends another user. This user never offends others on purpose and may accidentally offend other users because it lacks knowledge regarding how to be a normal human.

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:25 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:

It's just a visualization. Anyway, they said light does not pass through it in one direction; I assume that means the other direction they get absorbed, which means it could radiate that as heat. If it was also perfectly reflective, then that's another story - and another physical impossibility, I believe.

One side allows light to pass through. The other is a perfect mirror.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:26 pm UTC

Hmm... But if you tried to make them into sunglasses, the reflection of your eye might appear to be superimposed on the image, and they just wouldn't be useful. I'm not sure there would be any legitimate use for that, then.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:00 pm UTC

...except for light bombs and solar batteries
---

(he/him/his)

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:04 pm UTC

I think that does get around the whole "can't make something hotter than the source with passive optics" doesn't it? So fuck entropy!

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:28 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:...except for light bombs and solar batteries

Death rays?

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:00 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:...except for light bombs and solar batteries

Well, I was aiming a little higher than you.

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:43 am UTC

It occurred to me yesterday that such a piece of glass could be used to boost the signal range of an electronic device. What do the other users of this thread think?

peregrine_crow

Postby peregrine_crow » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:55 pm UTC

Inverting gmalivuk suggestion, we could also use this to passively cool stuff. Make a sphere out of it with the reflective side on the outside and whatever is inside should reach absolute zero eventually (possibly after an infinite amount of time). Alternatively, you could make a heat shield out of it and have something survive flying through the sun.
Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed.

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:04 pm UTC

Now what if one side is one way and the other side just absorbs the energy?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:33 pm UTC

liberonscien wrote:Now what if one side is one way and the other side just absorbs the energy?

You can do this using an optical isolator.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:07 pm UTC

If light enters the sphere and cannot leave via thermal radiation or some other means, then the result will be a kugelblitz given enough time.
Brought to you by the Interstellar Frungy League. "Frungy, the Sport of Kings!"

commodorejohn wrote:
I wish that someone would tell them that it is not a good idea to mock the giants you are standing on.

But man, that's the entire cultural foundation of the 21st century!

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:42 pm UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:If light enters the sphere and cannot leave via thermal radiation or some other means, then the result will be a kugelblitz given enough time.

Interesting. This kind of glass could, theoretically, be used to create a black hole? Interesting. This kind of glass could then be used to create doomsday devices besides capturing the sun's light and using it as a death ray.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:53 pm UTC

Well it would also have to be indestructible because otherwise the radiation pressure will tear it apart before that.

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:26 am UTC

PeteP wrote:Well it would also have to be indestructible because otherwise the radiation pressure will tear it apart before that.

Well, it is a perfect reflector of all light.
I now realize that it would be somewhat difficult to work with. It would be difficult or impossible to cut with lasers.

Return to “Fictional Science”